/daily/ - Pere *uwu* Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

On the last episode of /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dog_eat_dog_f3/dog_eat_dog/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yarn/yarn-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/japan-blues/sells-his-record-collection/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/miles-davis/round-about-midnight-3/
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/sophie_f1/product/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/scotch-bx/hrtp09/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/inglinga/девочка-в-сером-платьеце/
subpar.bandcamp.com/album/hrtp09
mega.nz/#F!rYVDgTbK!Si5xz_FR6R6zePZOi6nOCQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music
youtube.com/watch?v=9cIFLYvL4hk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

new tournament rules

select an hour of the day e.g. 12pm, 4am, 9pm etc
rec an album to go with that hour
etc until I have one album for every hour

good title

69pm
scooter - no time to chill

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dog_eat_dog_f3/dog_eat_dog/
5 am

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yarn/yarn-1/
7 AM, the sun is rising, birds are singing

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/japan-blues/sells-his-record-collection/
5 pm

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/miles-davis/round-about-midnight-3/
12 AM

6pm

10pm
rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/sophie_f1/product/

>Duster - Stratosphere
>slow
So I started listening to this right after Jons, but wasn't feeling it and stopped. I revisited Valium to recheck my opinion, and I still enjoyed how much more weight it had to it. So I waited a week, and refreshed myself on random releases, before coming back to this.

It's definitely a situational album, with a stronger B-side. It embraces the listless sounds lo-fi rock, occasionally using dreamy ambiance ala Belong. This album isn't trying to sound like a huge weight is being pressed on its tracks-- it's very personal, emo in a good sense. I'm not as won over by the atmosphere of the album as a whole, and I'm a little disappointed that the diverse track listing didn't do much for me, but it's not awful.

Favorite tracks: Topical Solution, The Queen of Hearts, Earth Moon Transit

6+/10

>Duster - Contemporary Movement
>Slooow
Jumping straight to this after Stratosphere, I'm hit by uneven drums, exposed by the group's sudden burst in volume. It really puts Stratosphere into perspective, with how involved the group suddenly sounds. Because of the louder build-ups, lots of the tracks seem to meander in the way post-rock does. It's sideways growth, as Duster moves away from their base album.

6/10

>Women - Public Strain
>women-core
The bowing, constrained bass, and distant vocals of Can't You See serve a clean opener for Women's second and final album. Heat Distraction was more traditional rock, while distorted lawnmowers reside in Narrow. Penal Colony and Bells offer even more of the drones that I know trip will like, because they're all warm and fuzzy like slowcore

I prefer the stylistic wildness of Women's debut compared to the consistent (if tame) pace of this album. This peters out in the later tracks, after hearing the fourth repetitive guitar groove (after China Steps, at Locust Valley). I still enjoy Eyesore from the time I heard it in the plug, but I think a lot of character has been lost from this album's direction.

6/10

Oops, meant a 7 for Women

overall trip and i are incompatible

term/thomas, you guys going to LGW? i'll go either way but would be fun to meet if ur going too, lineup is unreal

im so sad

rec me a good

the real trip up would never say this

changed mind actually
3 pm

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/scotch-bx/hrtp09/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/inglinga/девочка-в-сером-платьеце/
you seem to enjoy artsy singer songwriter albums

ty :)

where can i find this?

subpar.bandcamp.com/album/hrtp09

ty

if yr shionji, yr soulseek is fucking me :(

That's not me
mega.nz/#F!rYVDgTbK!Si5xz_FR6R6zePZOi6nOCQ

1 am
DJ Screw - Bigtyme Vol II: All Screwed Up

Where were you when nyar remembered he likes improvisational jazz

2pm summer day, cloudless sky, punishing heat, sweat in eyes:
Jefre cantu-ledesma - love is a stream

>1am
Boy what the fuck
There are screwtapes titled 3am and 5am

fuuckkk
true
change this to 3 am

>not recognizing Duster's Gold Dust as the singular reason to justify "lo-fi indie"'s existence
yawn

>yawn
Correct

Wire is better than Pere Ubu

Huh. Who knew David Thomas or Crenge Ubu was such a loser? Fatty loser who could neither make truly avant garde music nor make actually energetic visceral works. Just the kind of poser shit /daily/ would circlejerk.

They both suck

Then I looked deeper into the music. Well, looked at the stats first, to be perfectly honest. Already the wildly disparate ratings/votes stats served as a red-flag confirmation of deep-seated hipsterism. Check this out: the debut album has almost 6,000 votes and is rated very high, then the second album (released the same year!) has only half the votes, and then - get this! - the 3rd album has less than 1,000 votes! It only came out a year after the hipster-beloved debut, so how much worse can it be?

I hate to repeat myself (though I love some aspects of certain types of repetition, such as this one), but if you love the debut THAT much, and so many of you, and half of you bothered to hear the 2nd album (which judging from the ratings did not disappoint you at all), WHY would you then ignore the 3rd album? Don't you want to at least hear it? Aren't you the least bit curious what his other albums sound like after you'd given his debut a 5-star rating? Surely David aka Ubu didn't sing any worse on the 3rd than he did on the first?

Poor Ubu, he'd made so many albums after that "legendary" debut and the semi-legendary (like, literally SEMI) follow-up, but all his albums after that (and there are many) are almost completely ignored by his "fans". Here at least. His REAL fans have probably heard many, most, or all of the albums.
Now to the music! That's always the exciting part! I mean, finding new music, finding a new ARTIST that will blow me away with his or her awesome talents! Let me just press play... hang on a sec...

Huh...? What the f... is that?... Why did Pere hire a random alcoholic hobo off the streets off Cleveland to sing instead of him? Is this why the first album is is hipster and the others are ignored by hipsters? Because of the hire-a-random-wino-and-hand-him-the-mic shtick? I will admit that it is original - but so is farting into the face of a hedgehog.

No? That's HIM??? That's David Ubu singing? HE is the singer? Man, he sounds like a typical 1st-round "American Idol" reject, the type of awful contestant whose audition they show over and over until every single American with a TV set has seen it and laughed his ass off. NOW I finally understand the hipster appeal: utter bullshit vocals, totally off-key, with random notes being hit on a regular basis. This guy either makes no effort, or can't sing, or even perhaps both those things. (Which would be understandable: if you can't sing - and you know you can't - then you just give up.) His vocal delivery, if we can call it that (and insult real vocal deliveries all over the world), personifies the slacker-sloth vocal style of 100s of indie rock bands. That's almost like a golden rule of indie-rock hipsterdom: you never ever sing well, even if you can.

Though I am almost certain Ubu David can't sing at all. He is not faking his shitty vocals on purpose, he really does sing this badly. Now comes the million-dollar question: does he KNOW he stinks (at singing I mean), or is he aware that he sucks and just plays along with the charade started off by him and his band decades ago? I'd really love to know that.

I'd also love to know whether he based his stand-up comedy routine on John Belushi's impersonation of Joe Cocker. Because David's on-stage antics really do take the cake. He really is out there. I can't decide whether he is on drugs, whether he is taking the piss, or whether he is stark-raving mad.

Now to the INTELLECTUAL side of Ubu's mind-blowing... ly bad music. Or the image, rather, because obviously the music is wholly irrelevant in this context. There is a treasure-trove of hipster silver coins and diamonds here. First off, the band name! David and his atonal cohorts named themselves after - check this - a DEAD FRENCH POET's avant-garde play. (It's such a cliche, it's more sad than funny at this point.) This guy died young (as all worthy poets are supposed to) and was connected to the "Symbolist" movement (whatever the f*** that is). Other really nifty words brought into connection with this Ubu guy are "postmodernist" and "surrealist". So yes, this dead French poet/philosopher/quasi-genius is pure hipster gold. The only thing that could "improve" him is if Ubu had traveled into the future during his life, seen Radiohead live, and recited spontaneous poetry with them on stage. Hipsters would swoon like teeny-boppers if that had happened.

Secondly, David described his music as "avant-garage" which must get those hipster juices flowing in overtime. The highly impressive term "musique concrète" (in French, no less!) is also brought into connection with this band's musique, this concrète pile of sonic shit. Would "musique merde" do the trick too? It's French, innit? Doesn't French always sound nifty?

Thirdly, they have never hit it big. Allegedly! They have had appearances on David Letterman and some other mainstream shows. (Sorry to disappoint you PU fans.)

I quote Wikipedia: "Their arty dissonance and weird experimentalism were startlingly unique." That's certainly one way of saying "these pompous good-for-nothings suck at music and the big guy can't sing at all". Talk about sugar-coating, spin-doctoring and just flat-out bullshitting Wikipedia's readership! Good thing I'm equipped with the most uptodate bullshit radars. I detect that shit from miles away, let alone when it's in a text right under my nose.

There's more bullshit: "Their songs imagined 1950s and 1960s garage rock and surf music archetypes as seen in a distorting funhouse mirror, emphasizing the music's angst, loneliness and lyrical paranoia." Angst, loneliness, paranoia? Damn, that line alone could catapult them into the hipster stratosphere, into that rare group of bands that have more than one or two bolded albums.

Wouldn't it be so "ironic" (ha ha) if the actual Pere Ubu really had traveled to the future, into our era, and instead of going for hipster rock, he found a liking for Manowar and Boston!

Let me once again clarify something. David Ubu does have REAL fans, not just hipster fans. The older a band or a musician (well, it's a stretch calling Ubu a musician, perhaps a failed dietitian), the more likely they are to have a whole bunch of real fans that are just in it because they honestly love the music.

And to them, hats off! Hats off to anyone who can listen to that awful crap, over and over and over, to so many shitty songs atonally raped by David Ubu: that is called RESILIENCE. Ubu fans are so tough, so incredibly patient. They may not hear that well, but boy, have they got endurance or what!

Finished listening to the "legendary" debut album, just in time for the end of this rant. Horrible horrible horrible garbage. This is avant-garbage, not avant-garage. (And I want avant-garbage pronounced in thick French.) "We aren't real musicians so let's do something so out there that some people will mistake it for art!" That wasn't even an original con back in the 70s, let alone now.

So no, there is no way in hell that their follow-up albums can possibly be any worse than this drivel for some of their alleged fans to ignore them. If anything, the other albums must be better i.e. less bad. And that's typical hipster behaviour too: always pick the worst albums to hype, the least musical ones. Golden rule.

[vine kid voice] wow

listen to gold dust again

u like that shitty bon iver album

shut up

I like Wire's first few albums a lot but The Modern Dance and Terminal Tower are better than anything they've done

All post-punk is bad, it's just punk but with first year art student "deep" aesthetics and songwriting that either takes influence from quirky pop music or the $5 "Modern Classical" LPs collecting dust in the used records bin. It substitute's punks fight for individuality and self thought while still maintaining a group identity outside of the mainstream as expressed through heavy and anti-establishment music for freshman philosophy student commentary on mental illness, depression and other existential woes. Post-punk revival, at least, was a decent genre because it took the pretentiousness out and boiled it down to the few redeemable parts of it: highly mixed basslines and a sad mood, without all the pretension. The National, Interpol, and British Sea Power are leaps and bounds better than Pere Ubu, Wire, Joy Division, Siouxsie and the Banshees or the random no name punk rejects that are popular at the moment.

lol

this
stupid

The entirety of post-punk revival has two good songs and they're both interpol songs

The entire genre is just indie rock in suits with the bass mixed high.

Ik you're just a bad troll but I'll take any chance I can to shit on post-punk revival.

What are your opinions on Sondre Lerche

meanwhile post-punk has like three and they're all by joy division
and for being such an ~adventurous and forward-thinking~ scene the only occasionally good thing post-punk inspired was goth

>Keith Rowe - The Room (Extended)
>Drone
The likes of MIMEO - Lifting Concrete Lightly in ambition and hints of AMM, but a bit less gripping. The more interesting sounds come from the combinations of conventional and unorthodox sounds. Rowe's string manipulations and bolder grating noises make this feel less industrial, and more of what I would imagine these recordings would look like: Rowe alone in The room, thoughtfully touching at his devices while searching for an end.

Given that this was recorded over 3 years, it's interesting to hear how his interpretations of the piece change over time. Much more high frequencies fill the second track, and difference in recording can be heard on parts of the fourth.

7/10

>Alexander Tucker - Furrowed Brow
>Freak Folk, Drone
The guitar still sounds golden and polished amongst the eclectic vocal harmonies. It's playing is a lot simpler throughout the album, giving way for ritualistic choir drones, chamber instruments, and even electric guitar-- the transition that takes up Superherder was nice when it reached the end. There's a lot of familiar elements of freak folk in here, but focused on delivering lots of patterned growths and subtle progression. It's not bad, but not as out there as I imagined it would be.

6/10

>Various Artists - Invisible Pyramid: Elegy Box
>basically all aspects of Ambient music, slowcore/post rock,

This actually puts Robert Rich - Perpetual - A Somnium Continuum to shame, in terms of content. A huge amount of artists, each bringing their own to a tossed salad of bootlegs. I'm not sure if this necessitated a huge release like this, rather than several smaller packages of thematically similar artists, but it's pretty cool for what it is. Lots of discographies to look into, given that I know only two names from this list.

7/10

Does anyone have that Shallow Rewards episode where he bitches because more people liked Pere Ubu after some box set came out and he was mad because he'd never heard of them?

most goth rock /is/ post punk though? so you're saying much of post punk is good, yes?

>it takes influence from quirky pop music or the $5 "Modern Classical" LPs collecting dust in the used records bin
could you give an example of anything like this pre-1976? Only post-punk I can think of with any semblance of classical influences off the top of my head are tuxedomoon and even that is hard to argue.

most of your points about punk are stupid too

>punks fight for individuality and self thought
lol bitch where? most OG punk is garbage for fake edge dads. Other than proto-punk the genre wasn't even worthwhile until the 80s.

>still maintaining a group identity outside of the mainstream
What? Punk is probably the most famous worldwide genre next to rock and hip-hop.

Also, the other guy is right, the only worthwhile Post-Punk Revival album is the only one people still talk about. The rest is garbage.

I don't mind dissenting views abt Post-Punk and you're not wrong that the genre is pretty pretentious, but use yer brain mang

i don't even hate that track but
>repeats the same measure 4x
>repeat another measure 4x
>return to first measure and repeat 4x
>end
damn...

>a song isn't good because the form isn't complex
ah yess,, I love thos bon iver songs that are literally just ABABCB

also that isn't even the right form lmao c'mon dude

>It's a genre war episode

I inspired qwerty to make this rant, do I win anything

>i keep getting fucked by qwerty posters while i'm drunk
fucj

You haven't explained why Gold Dust is so amazing, is there some subtleties i'm missing out on here
I can like Won Biver's spastic sampling all over 22 a million, but what makes it worse than that? a genuine atmosphere?

You're entirely right that it's an incredibly simple song. There are no subtleties and if you don't like it then that's that.

Nigga you dick ride the Fishmans that are just as simple if not even more.

read my post again

Nope I said it right. It's just as garbage as Fishmans in terms of how simple it is, and anyone that likes both needs to have their ears checked or perhaps leave the music hobby.

i'm just stoked that i didn't have to see another one of these desu

No you didn't.

If you had read the thread you'd know that I said Gold Dust was a great song and very simple.

Unless you're implying that all music that uses simple forms is bad which is a hilarious take unless you just like prog metal.

I just find the album overall disappointing as one of the poster boys for slowcore
I disliked Galaxie 500 more anyway

baiting the fish i see

>I disliked Galaxie 500 more
herb BTFO

>If you had read the thread you'd know that I said Gold Dust was a great song and very simple.
Exactly, garbage either way.
>Unless you're implying that all music that uses simple forms is bad which is a hilarious take unless you just like prog metal.
Or actual art music, not this boring ass garbage.

like I said you don't have to like it it just surprised me you didn't mention it as your fav as it seems to be the one people usually like the most. iirc nat said it was his 2nd favorite song ever but that could've changed so don't quote me

ok qwerty

>art music
what is this, 2013 Sup Forums

>ok qwerty
Referring to a RYM guy who listens to only pop rock/entry level metal won't make me him especially since I haven't mentioned that stuff at all

Spoonfeeding for the low functioning retards of Sup Forums

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music

Your score and review are pretty good for a disappointment, I can't hate. Duster is slowcore for people who don't like slowcore though, so at some point you gotta go and pan Down Colorful Hill or something.

>implying everyone doesnt know what art music is

what is this, 2013 Sup Forums

Unfortunately it's 2017 Sup Forums where peeps STILL don't know what it is. One would expect /daily/ patricians to know this by now, but even they don't know!

the dude is a big proglord/patton fan and I see those chuds saying the same shit

you're closer to Fastro ig

>Duster is slowcore for people who don't like slowcore though
yeah this is me

youtube.com/watch?v=9cIFLYvL4hk

>Fastro
Looked at his RYM. Boring pop garbage for his 5/5s.

>/daily/ patricians
gave me a good chuckle

I have a feeling i will from the songs I heard from it on plug

:)

no most of it is prog

>peeps STILL don't know what it is.
>even they don't know!
nah also who ever in the history of this board called /daily/ patrician
Classical Justice Warriors like you have been around for long enough dude, and you're all a goddamn joke

wth

how am isupposed to post in this thread

we all lose

don't

either
>random shitposting
or
>not at all

Put on a tripcode and discuss music you've been hearing
It's not required, but it's common to make charts using topsters2 and listen to things off them, or make a tournament
Also not required, but common, is to pick fights with people over silly things

>gave me a good chuckle
Me, too since /daily/ fails at being so despite trying to.
So...popular music.
>Classical Justice Warriors
See, by this post, I am guessing you imply me to be some kind of elitist. Oh no, you see, I used to be a wee little pleb like the rest of you guys, who used to love knowing every single aspect of the music he loved, analyzing it all. But then I realize that popular music doesn't have much to engage the person with, and that is when I moved onto art music, becoming the truly superior human being as it offered so much more to engage with it ends up increasing one's productivity/understanding in life.

>it ends up increasing one's productivity/understanding in life
one could argue that NOT listening to music would do this

>despite trying to.
good one
>So...popular music.
hmm almost seems like you don't know the definition of pop

>elitist.
and no, just an autist

>one could argue that NOT listening to music would do this
Psychological studies say otherwise.
>hmm almost seems like you don't know the definition of pop
Spoonfeeding for the low functioning retards of Sup Forums: part 2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music
As the rest of the post implied, you would still be wrong. Gotta learn to read, my man.

popular music != pop music

>popular music != pop music
Not only is pop music a form of popular music, but more importantly, in the context of my post, prog is a form of popular music.

broe what's ur favorite video game

u ever played madden

Do you enjoy traditional music?

Why play Madden when you could play NHL 17, number one game on Glitchwave?

i usually play as the broncoes lmao

why are u dorks replying to this guy

Godflesh - Streetcleaner
It's nice but it ain't no Godflesh - Streetcleaner

>Do you enjoy traditional music?
>do you enjoy *plays tonic then dominant in some wookly moogly language*?
Nope. Baby ass shit.
Sucks for you nigga, Steelers got the most Superb Owls, that's where you gotta go.

lololol shit was hilarious

happy mother 3 is #1 though

>moogly woogly language
hampy the jig is up, we know it's you

When you search yamir (rip) on RYM it now displays him as a reggaeton artist

>hampy
Sounds like a virgin to me. Since I am not a virgin, I can't physically nor even mentally nor in any potential way even be this "hampy"

>in the context of my post, prog is a form of popular music.
ah yeah, in the post before the one about fastro you still bothered making the distinction with pop rock and metal and only then decided to go full pseudo-pseud troll ok
like shoehorning prog or muh art music into the discussion you guys had was totally unnecessary in the first place

it's how he would've wanted it ;__;

honestly I'll be interested to hear his story. iirc only ~12 people have died but many more are evacuating now. It's hard for people there to get their voices heard atm without electricity but I hope he joins /daily/ soon.

hampus and i have have "done it" many times so be assured he is no virgin

*comes back to /daily/ to tell what he's been through soon.

>ah yeah, in the post before the one about fastro
Googling RYM Fastro gets me some dude with an account full of prog, which is popular music.
>you still bothered making the distinction with pop rock and metal
Well, at least metal offers a visceral perspective art music is often unable to. The rest of popular music is inferior.
>and only then decided to go full pseudo-pseud troll ok
like shoehorning prog or muh art music into the discussion you guys had was totally unnecessary in the first place
What kind of autistic sperging is this?

>hampus and i have have "done it"
"done it" ain't done it. Viiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnn

thanks, i made a chart.