What is the legality of shooting someone in a business?

What is the legality of shooting someone in a business?

Say you are the owner of a convieniece store, and just before closing time, a gun-toting nigger comes in does a hold up.

1) can you shoot him right then and there if he's aiming at you? (like pretend to be going for the cash in the register but you go for your gun instead)

2. Can you shoot him if he only flashes his gun, puts it back in his jacket, and says gimme the money?

3. Can you shoot him in the back if he already has the money and is already leaving, or is that murder?

4. Will you still go to jail until the police finish thier investigation, or what?

So yeah, when can you shoot and when can you not shoot.

Depends where you live.

Some places they expect you to give him the money or detain him in some wrestling move until the cops get there.

Others it's more like "Why didn't you shoot his empty watermelon off..?"

Depends on state. I know for a fact here in Texas you can shoot as soon as you see a gun and an aggressive posture if it's a private business. The cops will shake your hand and thank you for the help.
In Cali I think you go to prison unless you allow them to "scavenge" your store and you get fined if you don't offer them your wife for the night.

>In Cali I think you go to prison unless you allow them to "scavenge" your store and you get fined if you don't offer them your wife for the night.

Hm explain?

Not in the back if he's leaving unless he's discharged his weapon already. Certainly can shoot him if he comes in aggressively with a weapon in plain sight. You don't have to wait until he tries to kill you at that point.

In texas you can shoot in the back if he used a weapon to intimidate you and take something.

Oh, if your guns registered and you have a pretty clean record, you're not going to be arrested.

>In Cali I think you go to prison

use ricochet defense

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

In Texas you can even shoot and kill someone if they trespass

It highly depends on where you live, but:
>1 yes
>2 yes
>3 maybe
>4 maybe
Flashing a gun, in any way is a felony (federal crime) brandishing, doing so in the commission of another felony (armed robbery) gives clear reason to fear for your life. A lawyer even in NY or CA can get you off of this. It gets tricky if he's walking away though, particularly if he's taken measures to put cover between himself and you. Would need to know more about your hypothetical. Unless there's reason to believe that you've committed a crime, the standard request from police is to not leave town until the invesrigation is complete, and you should get a lawyer no matter what.

What if the person say dosnt have a gun... But rather something like a pick axe or sledghammer. Can you use deadly force?

Yes, He could throw 'em

Yes. You can shoot a person if they they mention they'll kill you but don't have a weapon.

It's all about intent, hands can be lethal weapons and kill more people a year than guns.

What you listed would be held as evidence in the event of a murder as weapons.

I see. Thanks a lot bros. Obviously I'm not going to solely rely on information from Sup Forums, but I just wanted the general gist of it. I'll research the laws up in NY and see what I can do

Would really have to know more. Is there a counter separating you two? Is the guy big? Intoxicated? Point 3 becomes murder in this situation, unless he's made threats otherwise.

you're in ny? you're fucked mate, clerks are lucky if they last a year, enjoy getting shot

Yes specifically in nyc. But in a good area. However, the store I am at was previously robbed at gunpoint in 2013 when I was not working here, so not taking risks.

>crime scene investigators can't tell a ricochet from a straight shot.

Try asking around the neighborhood about old shopkeepers. They will have the best advice. NY was a filthy shithole in the 80s and earlier, I guarantee you that the old farts have great advice on how to not get killed behind the counter. NYPD is not nearly as retarded as in CA, they're not going to go all autism on you for defending your life.

if ur in a good area will be easy to spot a criminal and act accordingly. most robbers are black or junkies so not really hard to differentiate from the predominantly white background of customers. you'll be fine just use your brain.

No such thing as a warning shot discharging a firearm in public is a crime same as negligent discharge shoot to kill never to wound.

>can you shoot him right then and there if he's aiming at you?
Yes.

>Can you shoot him if he only flashes his gun, puts it back in his jacket, and says gimme the money?
Yes.

>Can you shoot him in the back if he already has the money and is already leaving, or is that murder?
Yes.

I had niggers break into my house twice while I was home. I was almost shot the first time after giving a verbal warning. I learned my lesson about being hesitant to fire, so the second time I just got up with my gun and crept down the hallway and unloaded it into anything that moved. Not sure if I killed one that time but I definitely hit one because there was blood everywhere, all through the kitchen, out the backdoor, and onto the driveway.

Them saying they'll kill you is not enough. They need intent, ability, and opportunity.

If they say they'll kill you standing right in front of you, blast away. If they are shouting across the room at you and don't have weapons, you must wait. You would be wise to prepare to draw though.

No one answer here. In Texas or Fl or other like-minded state. If you were in the performance of your job or at home and felt your life was in imminent danger you can proactively fire. The DA and/or police could still file charges and you would have to defend yourself but it is unlikely there would be an indictment. In NY or DC it is unlikely you could possess a firearm at work - even perhaps at home. Your actions would be more heavily scrutinized but still nothing may come of it. The cops are not in the business of putting law abiding citizens, otherwise minding their own business in jail

If a person is threatening your life you have every right to shoot them in the fucking face. This is the entire point to carrying a weapon.

If he's pointing a gun at you or anyone else, shoot him.

If he flashes a gun at you, he's threatening you with it, shoot him.

If he's running away, shoot him, castle doctrine bitch! Unless you live in a pussy duty to retreat state.

If he says he has a gun and will kill you, you say I have a gun too and then prove it.

>guns are registered
Do people actually have to register their guns some places? I always thought that was a Hollywood meme.

This is correct. Shoot to kill, you'll spend less time in court and no possibility of a civil suit when the lazy fucker decides to come after you for medical bills and your house.

Agree with no warning shots, but never "shoot to kill", shoot to stop aka shoot till the threat is neutralized. Shoot to stop is self defense, shoot to kill is murder.

And don't talk to the cops in general, but especially don't ever say "shoot to kill" to them.

The golden rule is DO FUCKING NOT shoot someone in the back. If they are leaving and are satisfied with the experience, you're in the clear. The money can be replaced, you however cannot be. God forbid you miss and end up getting killed after everything was already said and done. Not yo mention you'd be in deep shit when the investigation rolls your way.

>shoot to stop is self defence
>shoot to kill is murder.

I cannot stress this enough in a court case. Don't ever say you were shooting to kill. Dont even fucking imply it. If you were shooting to kill, that implies your intentions when you pulled the trigger were to kill that person, rather than your intentions were to keep yourself safe. Cases like this are won by people who watch what they say and how they say it. Because your intention makes all the difference.

In theory the law varies state by state. Some places apply the same kind of home defense rules to a business. Others say you have a duty to retreat before using deadly force.
In practice, I really wouldn’t recommend trying it if you can avoid it. Even if you’re legally in the right potential criminal prosecution and civil suits can be expensive and humiliating.
T. Lawyer

>registered gun
Larper detected

Texasfag here.

Not completely true.

If you do shoot someone in the back or for trespassing you better have cash for the lengthy court sessions. Good chance of getting off but still a hassel.

Good luck finding a prosecutor and jury who will convict a man for defending himself in a store robbery situation. In most states, they give you a fucking medal.

>asking for legal advice on Sup Forums

Depends on where you live op. I think the scenario you described would work in many states pretty easily. Even still, remember your right to remain silent and exercise it. Doubt talk to cops without a lawyer present, ever.

Richochet defense only works if you're a wetback in cali.

Not the same guy but if you shoot someone here even if your life depended on it you go to prison also if you are bing robbed in a store and you fight back you either face jail time or you pay up to $2500