/classical/ String Quartet Edition

>inb4 how do I into classical
>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kiVbMB6iLPc
youtube.com/watch?v=L_chH88_--A
youtube.com/watch?v=13D1YY_BvWU
youtube.com/watch?v=iLu6b4iGE1I
youtube.com/watch?v=DxtAHpYIXdU
youtube.com/watch?v=ieRQyyPowH0
youtube.com/watch?v=0TNeUJYiAoo
youtube.com/watch?v=FOSFulkl4o0
youtube.com/watch?v=ABgbUERYbOI&list=PLMJzciZkbE2g59WkRkCwBTxo_97j6WZm7
youtube.com/watch?v=gc0vry_zkDQ
aixrecords.com/catalog/dvd_av_prem/cmp_dvd_av_prem.html
youtube.com/watch?v=oXLKu-HglnM
youtube.com/watch?v=8fXYjSmR6Bw
youtube.com/watch?v=8petL3nJYB4
youtube.com/watch?v=cjMXIyPHo7c
youtube.com/watch?v=EW_lev93UAc
youtube.com/watch?v=K1YK3ah4nAA
youtube.com/watch?v=npDjtDHM0Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=dOeIEHGtx7w
youtube.com/watch?v=3m5ohobcKb8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZagalLbbD2M
youtube.com/watch?v=HCgGDA3TExg
youtube.com/watch?v=fWQLulpttKw
youtube.com/watch?v=CvG5ZsscDQg
youtube.com/watch?v=HBHdKXNK-oM
youtube.com/watch?v=qXNkGDsXPz0
youtube.com/watch?v=t2n4KdJ3COQ
youtube.com/watch?v=RqOg-uDSER4
youtube.com/watch?v=LlLoa_ev3u4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

post yr fav beethoven string quartet
youtube.com/watch?v=kiVbMB6iLPc

btw I just chose von Weber because I like the pic, not because it is related to string quartets. What a sexy beast he was.

What instrument would you choose if you could go back?
t. saxophonefag who will never get to play in an orchestra

Haydn
youtube.com/watch?v=L_chH88_--A

Hausen von Stock
youtube.com/watch?v=13D1YY_BvWU

Weill (good string quartet)
youtube.com/watch?v=iLu6b4iGE1I

is dvorak just a meme? never see him posted on /classical/ but his stuff is always in my recommended videos when I listen to classical stuff on yt
youtube.com/watch?v=DxtAHpYIXdU

Bassoon if I can ignore the reality that it was never affordable for my parents.

>thinks something might be a meme because it's not posted on Sup Forums
You've spent too much time here, your thinking is all backwards.

Maurice

lol. gotta give it to you, that was a good one.

my favorite string quartet from someone other than 'thoven

oboe
t. saxophonefag who will never get to play in an orchestra

I think I'd go with Viola, but I'm a manlet so I'm not sure I'd have the armspan for it.

>going from the butt of every orchestra joke to the other butt of every orchestra joke
nice, viola would be my 3rd or 4th pick (after bassoon and maybe piccolo)

Janáček
youtube.com/watch?v=FOSFulkl4o0

W-What kind of jokes? It better not just be "they can't play our music lmao"

It is, also saxophone is the easiest woodwind instrument and (with the exception of bari sax low A) ties with oboe with the smallest range

Did the mods utosage the last thread? Seemed like it just disappeared rather abruptly. Not that I blame them, given the stupid prompt

that's strange actually that he didn't write a String Quartet

nah it hit bump limit

This right here? This is what is wrong with the world

>stupid prompt
>wanting to discuss American music
>autists get mad whenever they see an image of Trump
I take zero blame for anything bad last thread.

I know all about the range. In high school I used to make what was probably a very autistic point of playing in the altissimo register when it was uncalled for. And I agree the instrument has a very tiny learning curve, but even at university a lot of us still suffer from tone quality problems.

Why was Manuel de Falla so based?

>In high school I used to make what was probably a very autistic point of playing in the altissimo register
I don't blame you. Fucking around with trash high school band music was the best part about trash high school band music.

Cello but it's too expensive and I probably would've quit anyways like I did with trumpet

oboe/bassoon
t. every violinist who struggles to get into their favourite orchestra because they are mere expendables

I'm working my way through Rihm's quartets, I'm only on the first volume so far. The first couple were kinda ehh serial things, but 3 and 4 are amazing. I can tell I'm gonna have a ball listening to the rest of these things.

Here's a playlist: youtube.com/watch?v=ABgbUERYbOI&list=PLMJzciZkbE2g59WkRkCwBTxo_97j6WZm7

Anything that isn't a picture of a composer, performer a classical album cover, an ensemble, a venue or an instrument is just tasteless

>Saxophone
>easier than recorder

surely not

What you see in this image is the entire Russian Flowers tanayev Quartet CD issue of the Myaskovsky String Quartet cycle . Each flac file is a full cd rip and they are all on the .cue file...

I can pop that on ,lay on the couch and listen to all 13 of his string quartets end to end

isn't bassoon really hard to learn

every instrument besides memes like piano, vocals and percussion takes skill and effort to play

I think I might have liked trumpet
>extremely versatile
>easy to transport and hold
>mechanically simple
Though I suppose playing the wrong overtone every fifth note gets tiring
Yes, there's a reason I'd want the viola over violin
Yeah some of the pieces I enjoyed were marches, probably because that's all bands are good for.

True but recorders at least force you to cover holes exactly with your fingers, while saxophones do not. I was talking about the main instruments anyway (transverse flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone). Obviously more niche stuff like ocarinas, pan flutes, etc are easier.

better not neglect the Villa Lobos string quartets,user.

yeah I wouldn't bring up those but there is quite a bit of repertoire from the 1600s for recorder

>Debussy: Sonata for Flute Harp and Violin

Why? It sounds like the background music to an episode of Ironside

I M P R E S S I O N E D
M
P
R
E
S
S
I
O
N
E
D

user, this Music is ravishing... if you fail to be ravished you may have callouses on your soul

Why is the shape of the tubing on the french horn so convoluted?

piano is a patrician's instrument of choice and ur just jealous

admit it. you begged your parents for it, and were met with the same answer.

forgot picture

>Delage
that reminds me I STILL DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE EVEN RECORDED RAGAMALIKA

its a high definition recording from AIX performed by the Chamber Music Palisades

youtube.com/watch?v=gc0vry_zkDQ

I downloaded it when I was giving HD audio a try.

aixrecords.com/catalog/dvd_av_prem/cmp_dvd_av_prem.html

>t. every violinist who struggles to get into their favourite orchestra because they are mere expendables
why expendable? because a huge supply over limited demand?

why does the gui look so 1997? regardless, that's pretty damn great

I'm not a regular in these threads or anything, but I just wanted to share that as I was scrolling past this thread, I thought the guy in the OP's thumbnail was Spike Spiegel.
Ok, that's it. Carry on.

beautiful

had a friend who loved the violin and resented having to play the bassoon to join an orchestra

Really? His hair is not bushy enough to be Spike

Well, I was looking out of the corner of my eye.

well I guess everyone just agrees that this is indeed the best and fav of all patricians

XP set to best performance

gotcha.

here's another good one:
youtube.com/watch?v=oXLKu-HglnM

GOAT string quartet
youtube.com/watch?v=8fXYjSmR6Bw

15 is better.

youtube.com/watch?v=8petL3nJYB4

close call for me. no doubt 15 is up there with it
youtube.com/watch?v=cjMXIyPHo7c

agreed. And Trout Quintet is pretty meh honestly. Overrated as fuck.

Two Radulescu quartets. I posted #5 in that "avant garde" thread today, I swear I wasn't trying to show off my e-peen. This was very enjoyable.
youtube.com/watch?v=EW_lev93UAc
youtube.com/watch?v=K1YK3ah4nAA

Ooh Ooh

youtube.com/watch?v=npDjtDHM0Cw

this is sooooooooooooooo gooooooood

what's up with the score on the second vid bruh. looks like an indie rock poster

Luigi Nono
youtube.com/watch?v=dOeIEHGtx7w

Shostakovich
youtube.com/watch?v=3m5ohobcKb8

Yep, that's Radulescu for you. The score goes minute by minute, each frame is divided into 15-second "measures". Each line in each part is one of the strings of the instrument (in alternate tunings, obviously), and each symbol on the line is telling you to do something wacky on that string. It's like tabs, but instead of just playing the note you do a weird scratchy sound. Throw in some more weird symbols and some kind of 3D axis thing and there you have it.

eh?

come on... you know you like it.

Aw, I like that one. It's so happy and peaceful. You can't have your classical music be bombastic world-ending drama all the time.

thank me later

youtube.com/watch?v=ZagalLbbD2M

maybe?

youtube.com/watch?v=HCgGDA3TExg

I'm sorry I'l never do it again

I so wanted the Vagn Holmboe sq cycle to blow me away becasue there are so many... it just took me out into the bleak snowfields and left me to wander lost and alone..

youtube.com/watch?v=fWQLulpttKw

nah, I'm not a Minorfag or anything, I just find its lacking in motivic material.

STOP POSTING THESE REEEEEEEE

t. leaf

NOOOOO ahahahahahaha

youtube.com/watch?v=CvG5ZsscDQg

you will leeesten and hear... forever and ever ..ahahahahha

off topic but what are your favorite chopin recordings?
listening to pollini's recordings of his etudes/preludes made me realize i need to hear more of his stuff

Y'all know this one I hope
youtube.com/watch?v=HBHdKXNK-oM

I meant those Opus ones. Youtube has region-locked that service for some bullshit reason.

>
sorry I fail in understanding is Opus the uploader or is merely listing an op.# causing it to be blocked?

Anyone have some really good solo violin or violin concertos that aren't well known?

>VERY few people know who wrote the first string-quartet, but there is no doubting that the earliest one known to us is that written by Gregorio Allegri (1582-1652) (Hull, 1929).

Its just all the videos that are formatted like this for some reason. It doesn't matter. Obviously I don't mind if you keep posting them, I just wanted to blow off some steam and shitpost, its the Canadian way afterall.

ravel - l'enfant et les sortilèges extract

youtube.com/watch?v=qXNkGDsXPz0

youtube.com/watch?v=t2n4KdJ3COQ
youtube.com/watch?v=RqOg-uDSER4

>The string quartet in its now accepted form came about with Haydn.[4] If the combination of two violins, viola and cello was not unknown before Haydn, when it occurred in chamber music it was more likely through circumstance than conscious design; certainly the string quartet enjoyed no recognized status as an ensemble in the way that two violins with basso continuo - the so-called 'trio sonata' - had for more than a hundred years. Even the composition of Haydn's earliest string quartets owed more to chance than artistic imperative.[5] During the 1750s, when the young composer was still working mainly as a teacher and violinist in Vienna, he would occasionally be invited to spend time at the nearby castle at Weinzierl of the music-loving Austrian nobleman Karl Joseph Weber, Edler von Fürnberg. There he would play chamber music in an ad hoc ensemble consisting of Fürnberg's steward, a priest and a local cellist, and when the Baron asked for some new music for the group to play, Haydn's first string quartets were born. It is not clear whether any of these works ended up in the two sets published in the mid-1760s and known as Haydn's Opp.1 and 2 ('Op.0' is a quartet included in some early editions of Op.1, and only rediscovered in the 1930s), but it seems reasonable to assume that they were at least similar in character.

Some of the most popular works for string quartet include:
>Joseph Haydn's 68 string quartets, in particular Op. 20, Op. 33, Op. 76, Op. 64, No. 5 ("The Lark") and the string quartet version of "The Seven Last Words of Our Saviour On the Cross" (Op. 51).[12]
>Luigi Boccherini's more than 90 string quartets [13]
>Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's 23 string quartets, in particular the set of six dedicated to Haydn, including K. 465 ("Dissonance")[12]
>Ludwig van Beethoven's 18 string quartets, in particular the five "middle" quartets Op. 59 nos 1-3, op. 74 and op. 95 as well as the five late quartets,[14] Op. 127 in E flat major, op. 130 in B flat major, Op. 131 in C sharp minor (in seven movements), Op. 135 in F major and the Grosse Fuge in B-flat major Op. 133, the original final movement of Op. 130.
>Franz Schubert's 15 string quartets, notably his String Quartet No. 12 in C minor ("Quartettsatz"), String Quartet No. 13 in A minor ("Rosamunde"), String Quartet No. 14 in D minor ("Death and the Maiden"), and String Quartet No. 15 in G major.
>Felix Mendelssohn's String Quartet No. 2 (early example of cyclic form)[15]
>Bedřich Smetana's String Quartet No. 1 in E minor, "From my Life", considered the first piece of chamber programme music[16]
>Johannes Brahms' three string quartets, Op. 51 No. 1 (in C minor), Op. 51 No. 2 (in A minor) and Op. 67 (in B-flat major)

Haven't heard that Smetana in a while actually, putting that on now.

>Alexander Borodin's two string quartets: No. 1 in A (1879) and No. 2 in D (1881)
>Antonín Dvořák's String Quartets Nos. 9-14, particularly String Quartet No. 12 in F major, "American";[12] also No. 3 is an exceptionally long quartet (lasting 56 minutes)[17]
>Leoš Janáček's two string quartets, String Quartet No. 1, "Kreutzer Sonata" (1923), inspired by Leo Tolstoy's novel The Kreutzer Sonata,[18] itself named after Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata; and his second string quartet, Intimate Letters (1928)
>Sergei Taneyev's nine string quartets
>Ruth Crawford Seeger's String Quartet 1931
>Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's three string quartets
>Claude Debussy String Quartet in G minor, Op. 10 (1893)
>Jean Sibelius's String Quartet in D minor, Op. 56, Voces intimae[19]
>Max Reger's six string quartets, especially long Quartet No. 3 in D minor, Op. 74, Quartet No. 4 in E-flat major, Op. 109, and the last, Quartet No. 5 in F-sharp minor, Op. 121
>Arnold Schoenberg's four string quartets - No. 1 Op. 7 (1904–05) No. 2 Op. 10 (1907–08, noteworthy for its first ever inclusion of the human voice in a string quartet), No. 3 Op. 30 (1927) and No. 4 Op. 37 (1936)
>Charles Ives's two string quartets, No. 1 (1896) but more importantly the complex No. 2 (1911–13)
>Igor Stravinsky's Three Pieces for String Quartet
>Maurice Ravel's String Quartet in F major
>Darius Milhaud's set of eighteen string quartets written from 1912 to 1950, including nos. 14 and 15 op. 291, which can be played simultaneously as a string octet

>Béla Bartók's six string quartets[18] (1909, 1915–17, 1926, 1927, 1934, 1939)
>Alban Berg's String Quartet, Op. 3 and Lyric Suite, later adapted for string orchestra[18]
>Anton Webern's 6 Bagatelles for string quartet Op. 9 and his String Quartet Op. 28
>Bohuslav Martinů's eight string quartets
>Sergei Prokofiev's two string quartets
>Paul Hindemith's seven string quartets
>Dmitri Shostakovich's 15 string quartets, in particular the String Quartet No. 8 in C minor, Op. 110 (1960), and No. 15 Op. 144 (1974) in six Adagio movements[20]
>Heitor Villa-Lobos's 17 string quartets, in particular the Fifth ("Popular"), Sixth ("Brazilian"), and Seventeenth String Quartets
>Elliott Carter's five string quartets
>Milton Babbitt's string quartets nos. 2–6
>Edmund Rubbra's four string quartets
>Vagn Holmboe's 21 string quartets plus several unnumbered early quartets
>Michael Tippett's five string quartets
>Benjamin Britten's three string quartets
>David Diamond's 10 string quartets
>Robert Simpson's 15 string quartets
>Elizabeth Maconchy's 13 string quartets
>John Cage's String Quartet in Four Parts
>Peter Sculthorpe's 13 string quartets (numbered 6–18, the first five are lost, or incorporated into later works)

>Henri Dutilleux's string quartet Ainsi la nuit (1973–76)
>György Ligeti's two string quartets, especially his Second String Quartet (1968)
>Morton Feldman's String Quartet No. 2 (1983), exceptionally long quartet (four and a half to over five hours depending on performance, although in some performances the audience is not expected to stay for its entirety)[21]
>Karlheinz Stockhausen's Helikopter-Streichquartett (1992–93), to be played by the four musicians in four helicopters[22]
>Alfred Schnittke's four string quartets
>Wolfgang Rihm's thirteen numbered string quartets, as well as Grave and Quartettstudie
>R. Murray Schafer's 13 string quartets
>Helmut Lachenmann's three string quartets, >Gran Torso (1971/76/88), Reigen seliger Geister (1989) and Grido (2001)
>Lorenzo Ferrero's set of twelve string quartets entitled Tempi di quartetto (1996–98); Five Aztec Gods (2005)
>Brian Ferneyhough's six string quartets
>Salvatore Sciarrino's nine string quartets

>>Morton Feldman's String Quartet No. 2 (1983), exceptionally long quartet (four and a half to over five hours depending on performance, although in some performances the audience is not expected to stay for its entirety)[21]
wtf feldman

>von Weber
I agree. However, he did write a clarinet quintet, which is a string quartet with a clarinet added to it.
youtube.com/watch?v=LlLoa_ev3u4

Yes, and a piano quartet which is why I found it odd

It's really good. Not a bad way to spend a lazy weekend afternoon, though maybe you wouldn't want to spend that whole time just listening. It's a good choice if you're reading or cooking or doing housework. Really accentuates the blandness and mediocrity of whatever you're doing at that moment.

No Patrick, Feldman is not good

what about corey feldman?

that's a lot of replies for only 18 people posting in the thread

The only good Feldman is a dead Feldman

>not posting grieg's string quartet
nigger u 4 real??