What are Sup Forums's thought on Mars Volta?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vDSNRglMEnY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

One of the most quotable bands of all time. Great music, too.
>L'VIA
>HIJA DE MIRANDA

TRANSIENT JET LAG ECTO MIMED BISON

what did they mean by this?

I think Bedlam in Goliath was my favorite, with De-loused a close second.

Blown car speakers to Metatron

TU APELLIDO SE CAMBIÓÓ

mariachi slipknot

Same, but with Goliath

Salsa Disturbed

They're unironically awesome.

Love them. Just discovered Octahedron the other night, even though I've known about them for two years.

youtube.com/watch?v=vDSNRglMEnY

UNA HISTORIA SIN MI MADRE

Do you have to be Spanish to like them or am I just missing the appeal?

You just have to be wacky.

L'VIA
TE QUIEREN MATARRR

Not the response I expected. I really like their live album Scab Dates, think the way it's recorded is the tits, sounds a lot chunkier than their studio stuff

Ditto, it's wild music played even wilder.

I mean, if I do want to get into the details; it's this mix of Cedric's lyricism, which clearly draws from expressionism and magical realism (the latter being a very Latin genre of literature), and Omar's blend of many, many influences, from post-hardcore to noise to electronic music to psychedelic rock to the prog rock of the 70s, into this behemoth of musical expressionism which is trying to give you this hazy yet clear in broad strokes picture of what's going on with their songs' narratives.

this is my rating aswell

Their first three albums are masterpieces, specially Amputechture.
DIENTES DE MACHETE, CABEZA DE GALLO!!

You mean latin danzig? :^)

xD

Mars Volta are pretty good but they got nothing on ATDI

decent but definitely overrated

Amputechre is my favorite

they recorded two 10/10 albums and then fell off a cliff musically (minus some great songs here and there) but i love those albums more then anything else

ERSTWHILE HAZMAT THE CONVIVIAL TARPAULIN

Which two?

TWO PEAS IN THE POD
TWO PODS TO A COFFEE POT

WHO BROUGHT ME HERE?

Frances the Mute is so fucking good

lel

Metatron is such a banger

the first two.

As in, Tremulant and De-Loused?

tremulant isn't an album

but bedlam is their bets

Super great. Weird lyrics but they're one of my favorite bands.
>EXOSKELETAL JUNCTION AT THE RAILROAD DELAYED

NOW I'M LOOOSSSTTTT

omar is hot

>TWENTY FIVE SNAKES POUR OUT OF YOUR EYES
>TWENTY FIVE SNAKES ARE DROWNING

Have you guys checked out the Mars Volta gigs posters?
They look fucking amazing, i will be trying to collect them, but its really hard they are all so damn expensive and limited

Holy fuck they look incredible.

Do you think Omar and Cedric will really revive TMV sometime (now that they did ATDI and it was only mediocre rather than outright bad)?

My favorite band. I always wondered why P4K hated them so much.

I’ve always thought that there’s definitely something behind the scenes at p4k that we’re unaware of

I mean it's no secret they have some weird, tastemaker agenda. What it is, exactly, isn't really clear. But Cedric and Omar released one of the most important post-hardcore albums ever, then start an entirely different band at the height of their success and suddenly P4K hates them? I don't get it. Especially since Deloused was such a great fucking album.

they soft-panned RoC when it came out, too

MY MY MY NAILS PEEL BACK
What a fucking astounding opener

pitchfork hates prog
you ever read their lateralus review? it's fucking shocking

DRESS THE TAPEWORM AS PET

lmao, just looking at rym and all the reviews are just copied and pasted from that pitchfork stain of an article

TENTACLES SMIRK PLEASE
FLINCH THE COCOONED MEAT

‘The ocean floor is hidden from your viewing lens’ is undoubtedly one of the coolest phrases of all time

Yeah
They never reviewed a single Steven Wilson or Porcupine Tree album too

i had no idea that amputechtre came out before frances

TRACK-MARKED AMOEBA LANDS CRAFT

I ALWAYS get my exoskeleton junction delayed at the railroad! So annoying, man.

I've always considered Frances to be the best Volta album, but I think if Omar produced De-Loused himself without Rick Rubin, De-Loused would have been their best.

She was a mink hand job in sarcophagus heels.

>he doesn't suffer from transient jet lags
>he's not ecto mimed bison master race

What are the best songs from your least favourite TMV albums?

They'll give the eventual DITC and Frances re-issues a 10.0 BNR.

I'm starting to feel a miscarriage coming on

Viscera Eyes
Ilyena
Halo Of Nembutals

Rumba papa roach

Amputechture is an amazing album, though.

debut and frances are GOAT

>literally caring about that cesspool of a website

Recently I fell in love with both them and ATDI.
Such a wonderful music, Cedric vocals are so passionate I love it.

Needed some time to get into them but their first 2 Albums are between my all time favourites now.

I really enjoy them. Deloused in the comatorium is my favorite album of theirs because it gives me nostalgia for when I first learned about them and it is a damned good album.

As I read that the exact line came on,
>COME ON NOW
>ALL NIGHT
>I'LL HUNT FOR YOU
>LET ME SHOW YOU WHAT I MEAN

They've been my favorite band for so long it's ridiculous, especially considering I rarely listen to anything past-Amputechture. Their music is like a fucking drug to me.

I really hope they reunite one day, even just for a small tour. I just want to see them live, even though I'm sure it wouldn't be the same, especially without Ikey (and probably not Juan too).

Also Jon Theodore is one of my favorite drummers. Deantoni was a great pick for Noctorniquet, I like him.

Cotopaxi, Luciforms

Somedays I really like Noctourniquet, others I don't, same for Bedlam.

got last.fm?

DIENTES DE MACHETE
(CABEZA DE GALLOOOOOO)

Omar did an interview with Rolling Stone, in it he said he would be open to it. Not much else.

Their posters are pretty amazing. The artwork they'd hang behind them at concerts was pretty dope as well.

They're one of my favorite bands desu.

KEK

This band fucks

>implying I've heard a mean speak like this man before

This one's way better than Mariachi Slipknot.

>I always wondered why P4K hated them so much

Sparta fans

Jon is one of the best drummers in Rock right now. His work on TMV's first three albums is fucking majestical.

I wish there was more stuff with John. His guitar work on L'Via was fantastic

slept on octehedron for a while but boy teflons, halos of nebutals and cotopaxi are pretty good

Who /prefers the first half of In Absentia to the second/ here?

My biggest regret is that I never got to see TMV live. Seen ATDI multiple times, but I just want to experience a 40-min jam of Cicatriz or Cassandra Gemini live. Is that so much to ask?

They were recommended to me as a somewhat similar song to Portugal the Man's first album "Waiter: You Vultures!"

While I can't really agree on that, as Mars Volta is definitely on a more aggressive side than Waiter, I do see some similarities.

I'm listening to them right now (Amputechture). I gave all their albums a few listenings and they kinda just kinda flew through my head, but the more often I listen to them the more I start to like them.

So far Octahedron, stood out the most for me, followed by Noctourniquet and De-Loused in the Comatorium.

same brother

His work on Frances the Mute is IMO Top 5 drumming of prog rock albums just in general.

Octahedron is great. Check out Francis the Mute, my favorite track off of that is Cassandra Gemini.

>NOOOOOW I'MMMM LOOOOOOST

my favorite band :^)