When did you grow out of Sup Forums ?

>be me
>started browsing Sup Forums at 17
>forced myself to listen to Sup Forums, Pitchfork and fantano approved garbage
>downloaded tens and tens of """hip hop""", lo fi and noise albums (only downloaded full albums and suffered through the filler tracks, which are absolutely a thing)
>literally listened to Kanye
>unironically had death grips and nmh in my music library
>"enjoyed" vaporwave
>slowly became a cuck, started to actually fall for the "rap is legit poetry" meme, despite knowing deep down that kendrick's IQ was down the shitter and that it was just white guilt all along
>once said of Kamasi Washington he was "the greatest Sup Forumssician of our time, weaving a masterful tapestry of complex sounds and melodies, a musical Exodus for the 21st century"
>few weeks ago
>lifting in garage gym
>have an idea, put on pic related's "Tornado of Souls"
>fucking fired up, have never enjoyed music this much in years
>AMRAP Deadlift set comes up just as solo begins
>grind out *4* more reps than I should have and would have if I'd been listening to bleep bloop
My whole music library is now just a bunch of unsorted files of stuff I used to listen to when I was 14. I used to cringe at it back when I wanted to be a patrician but I realized I was cringing at who I was back then (and who doesn't), not the music itself. Just think about that, be honest with yourselves.
>tfw listening to "[VID2MP3]Rage_Agains_the_Machine_-_Killing_in_th.mp3" atm
feels good being an actual patrician mane.

Is this a cry for help?

>went back from nu-male music to angsty 16 year old core
idk which one is worse

The problem with Sup Forums is that for some reason, it seems 90% of people here are only familiar with pop music from the last 20 years or so. This isn't the case elsewhere on Sup Forums. /lit/ actually knows books to some extent. Sup Forums can talk about old movies when not talking about celebrities' feet. /his/ has some informed dudes.

>try to understand art
>listen to the most entry level shit
>don't get it
>still try to fit in
>still too dumb to branch out and find music I can genuinely appreciate
>meltdown
>go back to listening to nostalgic kiddy trash and start using words like "cuck"
>project my self-hate onto other people because I'm infallible and genetically/intellectually/[insert meaningless adverb] superior
>feel better because I took the easy way out
Literal Sup Forumsthink.

stale pasta/10

Just listen to whatever makes you happy man

This is the only statement Sup Forums doesn't know about

Assuming that there is at least some truth to this post then I would say your problem isn't that what you've been listening to the last few years is actually bad or that you don't enjoy but that you took Sup Forums as well as your newer musical taste too seriously and gave up on everything you used to enjoy and never looked back. What you have now is a mix of nostalgia and the enjoyment you get from listening to vastly different genres. I love Jazz but if I go through a phase for a few week of listening to nothing but Jazz and then out of the blue have a sudden urge to listen to Hip- Hop or Metal then often times it will sound extra good for a few days because it's like stepping into a completely alternate musical world.

I mean, do you expect your limewire collection from when you were 14 to sound as good as it does right now if you keep listening to it for the next 3 years of your life? Or anything for that matter? Do you think if you completely swore off Death Grips or whatever Sup Forums-core "patrician" band you were really into lately for the next 5 years you wouldn't find yourself feeling nostalgic going back to it when you're older?

That's beyond patrician, man

why would you force yourself to listen to loads of music that you don't like? are you ok?

nah I went from listening to shit because it was "patrician" to listening to whatever I feel like listening. If I want to listen to fucking Katy Perry I will man. I'll listen to Sum 41 if I feel like it. Or nmh or some shit.
It's all noise. it's all equal. what matters is the feedback you get from listening to it. who cares what's """art""" and what's """angsty 16year old music""". people who take music that seriously is what's cringy.
For instance, what leads people on here to consider some music patrician and some music pleb, more often than not, is the lyrics. And here's the thing, lyrics are always shit. They're always cringy. Be it hip hop, pop punk or poetry, words lack power. They're just not that interesting. What matters is the melody. It could be FLAC, 320kbps, or it could be 128 kbps or even an 8 bit/MIDI file. Doesn't matter, the melody is still there, that's what music is. I don't care about a band or an artist's image, their fanbase, their reputation, their universe. If I enjoy a melody I'll listen to it. It could be elevator music or a commercial for all I care.

nah man but what I mean is, yeah, don't take that stuff too seriously. I'm being honest with myself for the first time, and there's a lot of Sup Forums stuff I just don't enjoy. I'm gonna get a lot of
>"projecting this hard"s
from drones but look deep within yourselves. do you really enjoy everything you claim to enjoy, in and of itself, and not because it makes you feel sophisticated. come on, you know what I'm talking about. do you really hate everything you claim to hate, or is it just because of its connotation?

you're not a patrician you fucking dumbass.
patrician means being able to articulate why you think an album/song is good. not based on what the reviews say
you're still a pleb who sees music like fucking trading cards.
pathetic.

>do you really enjoy everything you claim to enjoy, in and of itself, and not because it makes you feel sophisticated. come on

Not to sound like a total dick, but yeah, I honestly enjoy everything I enjoy since I never came to Sup Forums and felt I needed to adjust my tastes so I could fit in or claim some sort of "patrician" status. Once again, I think your problem was that you didn't come here to discuss music you enjoyed, you came here and became convinced you needed to improve your tastes.

I've never once felt I was only pretending to enjoy an artist and reached some point where I felt the need to be honest with myself and say I thought it was shit. I can't relate to that feeling. At least you finally learned your lesson I guess.

>articulate why you think an album/song is good.
That rarely happens here most of the time its watching a monkeys shit throwing contest.

hence why nobody is hardly ever fucking patrician on this board.

So you spent 5 years pretending to like shitty music you didn't really enjoy so you could impress strangers on a taiwanese hentai board and you're just now realizing this AND you're coping by basically saying "Oooooh, everyone here must be just as retarded as me and have gone through the same thing." Except no, not everyone lies to themselves like you. And even if that was the case you wouldn't have room to talk since it took you listening to a fucking Megadeth song less than a month ago to snap out of it.

only good posts ITT

to be fair that whole trend kind of started on myspace where people pretended to like absolute turds like animal collective and then it escaped from containment to spread among lost and confused young adults faster than their STDs

haha I forgot how underage this board is. next you're going to tell me literally everyone on Sup Forums ACTUALLY enjoys EVERY SINGLE death grips song, or that deep down people think kendrick is actually anything special, that hip hop lyrics have ever been impressive in any way. come on. that's just not possible.
And who said I was trying to impress people on here? I was trying to impress myself. There are so many layers of delusion. I used to listen to Danny Brown for instance, I didn't even browse here anymore, but in my head I was like "yeah that brutal mane, so next level, it's good because it's like HIP HOP but more EDGY y'know aha" except it's not, I didn't actually like it as far as the primal chemical reactions within my brain. Some people just listen to the music of the person they wanna be. Kinda like teenagers who listen to all kinds of metal because they wanna be extreme, or those people who listen to "classical" (broad term i know) without enjoying it. I might get some (you)s from those annoying passive agressive cunts who end their posts with "user" but it doesn't matter because you know exactly what I mean, and you know I'm right too.

yes, that's exactly what I mean. so many hiveminds revere some artists but are completely unable to say why. it's literally meme magic at work.

you mean you don't actually like folksy combinations of devo and the smiths with crisp overproduction so it sounds like a TV ad wtf user

Two days in.
And if we're talk Megadeth, here's a recommendation:

many people will balk at this post, but i went through a similar arc myself. when i first got here, i practically made it a mission to be as Sup Forumsdrone as possible and went through the entire Sup Forums essentials chart, as if i was obligated to listen to it. i even had a last.fm account (until the site got fucked over.) now i just pay attention to the few scenes of music i'm interested in, and trawl for new shit on youtube/general threads and elsewhere

Hip-Hop and lo-fi are both good genres that have loads of excellent albums, stop listening to modern bullshit.

Noise is, has been, and always will be utter dogshit though. Fuck all noise albums and songs and artists.

Of course there are people here who's goal - conscious or not - falls more into identity crafting than finding new music to genuinely enjoy. I don't really know what your point is seeing as you fell into those pitfalls. Some people genuinely do enjoy things that are popular here even if your attempts ended up being just that - attempts. I haven't frequented this board in 5 years but I still like some of the "patricianly" albums that used to get spammed here and literally never talk about music irl (ie my intake of albums is entirely unexamined and serving of baser desires). I kinda get what you're saying, and I'm sure it's shades of many other's truth, but I still don't see your point

a lot of people make this mistake, the worst example of all is /fit/.
you have young guys who force themselves to do squats and deadlifts because they're told they have to, and hating every second of it, eventually grow to develop a love/hate relationship witht the lifts. I'm glad I'm finally outgrowing that shit.

>haha I forgot how underage this board is

Once again, you're the one who pretended to like music you think is garbage to impress strangers on Sup Forums.

>next you're going to tell me literally everyone on Sup Forums ACTUALLY enjoys EVERY SINGLE death grips song

So you can't fathom people enjoying music you don't enjoy? I don't really care for Death Grips myself but I have no hard time believing there are people out there who would genuinely enjoy every one of their songs. I love Frank Zappa but I can understand why some people might not enjoy his music or be able to get into all of his styles.

Also, your whole post basically just re-affirmed everything I said already. You're just trying to cope by assuming everyone else lies to themselves about their musical taste. And once again, even if EVERYONE here was just pretending to enjoy Death Grips or other Sup Forums-core it's not like you're any better just because you snapped out of it like 3 weeks ago. You'd still be a dumbass. Just a really sensitive one who seeks strangers approval on Sup Forums.

my point is basically that Sup Forums drones are cunts. not that there's anything inherently bad about what they listen to, but I thought we could talk about that strange attitude and what causes it, share experiences etc.

t. did not read/get my post
I adressed what you're talking about, but from the looks of it, you're unable to type anything other than.
>uh you're dumb
and
>cope
diagnosis? been on Sup Forums for too long.

>my point is basically that Sup Forums drones are cunts.

But you're a self admitted Sup Forums - drone. You spent years pretending to like music you didn't actually enjoy. You see, when you listened to Death Grips and Kamasi Washington to look cool on the internet you were being an asshole. When other people listen to Death Grips and Kamasi Washington because they enjoy listening to it, they're not assholes.

Now you are finally free and realizing you should just listen to what you want (common fucking sense btw) and instead of being happy you feel the need to still come back here to validate yourself as superior. So in the end all you care about still is impressing people on the internet. So congratulations, nobody here likes you any more or less than when you pretended you liked kamasi washington

>diagnosis? been on Sup Forums for too long.

Dude you fucking wasted years listening to shitty music because of this place. If anyone has been here too long it's you. Think of all those years you spent listening to fucking death grips. Years you will never get back.

>But you're a self admitted Sup Forums - drone.
not true
>You spent years pretending to like music you didn't actually enjoy
true
>You see, when you listened to Death Grips and Kamasi Washington to look cool on the internet
I didn't
>When other people listen to Death Grips and Kamasi Washington because they enjoy listening to it, they're not assholes.
true
>Now you are finally free and realizing you should just listen to what you want
true
>and instead of being happy you feel the need to still come back here to validate yourself as superior
not true
>So in the end all you care about still is impressing people on the internet.
not true
>So congratulations, nobody here likes you any more or less than when you pretended you liked kamasi washington
can't say

so about half of what you're saying is wrong, that's a respectable percentage for the dumb cunt you seem to be.

alright gotcha. I dunno, I think it's because Sup Forums is likely built from the same mass of white beta males that make up the collector dorks you see scrutinizing the gradings on record store vinyl (though probably less deep down that rabbit hole): they feel inclined toward mastering a subject, but are insecure, so they seek out a dogma to abide by. Sup Forums talks about "patrician" and "plebian" tastes with a balance of earnesty and irony, and I think people are drawn to that as a way of grafting on a less critique-able taste.

beyond that, this is a relatively private tastemaking sector as opposed to, say, Rolling Stone or Pitchfork, so when you roll out your hivemind opinions from Sup Forums, you self-style yourself as some finger-on-the-pulse music anthropologist

>that kid who took Sup Forums way too seriously

>Sup Forums is mostly underage posers who secretly wish they could listen to YouTube rips all day

color me shocked

what's wrong with youtube rips?