Hardware DAW or software? I know software offers a lot more flexibility/options...

Hardware DAW or software? I know software offers a lot more flexibility/options, but I just want to make demos in my bedroom.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YvqOm_4VCdQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just buy an ipad

I make plenty of demos in my low budget bedroom studio with Ableton.

Why do you have to have hardware to make demos? Just torrent a DAW and start making music. With a massive and insanely power DAW like Ableton there is a bit of a learning curve that is frustrating but knowing how to use a DAW like you would an instrument as well as a platform to piece together a project (or demo) is the most valuable skill to have. Knowing your way around a few select pieces of hardware isn't worth the money and effort invested.

>he doesn't know how much easier it is to use hardware than a mouse

Stay pleb

ppl who buy hardware just wanna waste money and end up making shit.

aphex twin already said everything can be made off a laptop

who gives a shit what he says? people are different, mac demarco for example uses high speed reel to reel.

ofcourse you can anything on a computer but you can do anything with hardware as well believe it or not infact you have more options with physical hardware. lol the computer is just a comfy tool that people love to use and it's easier than actually figuring out an efficent and direct hardware setup to get the sound you want.

and aphex twin probably owns millions of dollars in hardware in his studios.

some people actually want to make good music, hardware isn't easier then

>believe it or not infact you have more options with physical hardware
no you don't

you do idiot, the amount of physical hardware and even making your own circuitry is limitless the real world is limitless. a computer is limited to what it is and what it can do.

With cheap midi controllers as well as DAW integrated hardware (also extremely cheap) you are not using your mouse to create music, but using it as a fast and easy way to organize and piece together a song.

I think controlling a DAW with a mouse is much more intuitive than something like an MPC where you are trying to layout a song while having to look through a tiny screen with only a few visual perimeters.

Watch any expert hip hop producer make a track using only an MPC, those machines are unquestionably outdated and complicated to use. Even modern machines like the OP-1 with much more optimized controls just end up being a huge waste of money because they can only accomplish 1/4th of what a top of the line DAW set up on a CPU can do.

Yes hardware can do the same things as software but OP is just starting out. Are you actually suggesting he invest in a fully working reel to reel tape machine (which is crazy expensive and difficult to operate) just because you saw Mac Demarco do it? Are you also forgetting the huge amounts of complimentary equipment that comes with tape? You need a physical mixing board, the tape itself is expensive, you also need something to convert the sound into digital so you actually share your music, you also need physical hardware like EQ machines, compressors, effects ect.

Have fun blowing all your money in order to foster a certain aesthetic rather than to actually make music.

>you do idiot, the amount of physical hardware and even making your own circuitry is limitless the real world is limitless.
This is retarded as fuck. Your studio space isn't limitless. Your budget isn't limitless. Your time isn't limitless.

And you can program your own synths in software a hell of a lot faster than you can build them.

If you are smart and have a no bullshit approach, as in you don't spend you money and time on stuff that doesn't work well/suite your needs and you work efficently, trying out all new hardware or studying it in order to know if it is practical to your needs. I have seen many young producers or musicians on youtube buying expensive( or cheap) hardware that they only know of because it's popular and then go on to make shit music, if you want to go the harware route on a budget you have to do alot more research and have a 100% practical approach to what you buy and what it will be used for. ultimately this is what most successful musicians end up doing they just keep what they use constantly and lock everything else away in a storage unit.

>Watch any expert hip hop producer make a track using only an MPC, those machines are unquestionably outdated and complicated to use.
Funny to watch them fuck around with floppy disks and 2x16 LCDs too. Editing samples on a vintage sampler is extremely tedious.

>Are you actually suggesting he invest in a fully working reel to reel tape machine (which is crazy expensive and difficult to operate) just because you saw Mac Demarco do it?
Realistically they're not necessarily that expensive. But you're limited to 8 tracks at the most, and it's way, way more of a pain in the ass than software.

don't forget if you want to have an actual original sound you up spending tons on vst's and midi controllers/speakers and dac converter and amplifier. also the computer itself is not cheap. so don't tell me DAWs are the cheaper route.

my point exactly people have been making music (GOOD MUSIC) for centuries with analog and hardware instruments/equipment, yes in this wasteful "iwant it now i need it right away" baby era of whiners who won't take the time to learn a trade and hope on "my musical talents" because they think they are the few one actual talented percent. computers are 'hip' and 'cool' and everyone should use them because they are populare and new and that makes them better. what about the centuries of musicians before? that fact is using hardware and being hands on when it comes to music is inherently in our dna. we've been doing it since people first started tapping on rocks.

You're still going to need most of the same shit if you're using hardware, and the equivalent software is far cheaper.

Also you're in no way obligated to buy a bunch of expensive VSTs in order to "have an actual original sound".

well I can argue back at you with 'you don't need alot of expensive brand name equipment to make good music'

I'm not seeing anything resembling an argument here. It's just a bunch of nonsense.

Trance producer here. VSTs are very good if you're on a budget or don't have room for hardware, but between them, hardware wins every time; it just has a much richer, fuller sound. Analog synths sound much warmer and therefore have more impact.
Unless you're very smart with your sound design / mastering processes, it's usually obvious when a song has been created digitally rather than with real equipment.

well that's sad bro. your prejudices blind you.

YES HARDWARE IN THE LONG RUN WINS. anyone with a head on their shoulders will eventually buy hardware and analog instruments. sure you can start with a DAW ,but if you want to get serious with music hardware is the place to always go.

>you don't need alot of expensive brand name equipment to make good music
its probably more required than using 1 or 2 good vsts to create a sound

Check out LMMS free DAW

And I produced this with LMMS
youtu.be/YvqOm_4VCdQ

OK I am the guy arguing about hardware being better than DAWs
but I've come to the realization that ,
yes when just 'starting out' DAWs can seem more favorable ,but they are not for everyone. some people just can't tolerate them, like me for example. so there are always different ways to achieving your own sound design and everyone is different.

but I will agree that the convenience of DAWs do seem attractive to the larger majority of ambitious producers.

well you don't, do you? the "actual original sound" is up to the user, not relying on presets, etc. so why not just use the stock ableton stuff or free shit for most of it and use two or three nice VSTs for the things that aren't covered by that? that puts you way ahead of someone scouring craigslist and pawn shops for whatever cheap gear they can piece together

no, you just think you have something worthwhile to say when you're really full of shit

I use garageband on ipad

lol bullshit, all you're doing is trying to assert your retarded ego

you'd think people who do things like film scores or pop music production are "serious with music", yet that's mostly software

man you seem really defensive about these DAWs but you are wrong in your critique of people looking for equipment on craigslist. if an artist feels moved in that direction he will make it work just like if an artist feels moved by ableton he will figure that thing out. you can't just say one way is better and laugh at the other just because your way is more 'mainstream' . we all are full of shit nothing you say is relevant to anyone other than me. and this whole post will be forgotten just like us in time. nobody will be around to care.

film scoring is mostly hardware, the software is used as a recording tool. pop music is shite. trap music is trash. the sounds they use are repeated so much and the formula is identical, it's all about following a trend.

itt: hardware fags who make shit music spend more time arguing why hardware is good than making good music

yawn
if you're some richfag who has money to waste go ahead. buy all the useless hardware. you'll just end up selling on ebay for half-price when you go bankrupt cause nobody buys your shit records.

the logical answer is start out with a pirated daw and see if making music is something you wanna take serious.

the millions upon millions of computer home 'producers' out there making complete and utterate shit. did you forget about them?

>but I will agree that the convenience of DAWs do seem attractive to the larger majority of ambitious producers.
kind of like how power tools are attractive to the larger majority of ambitious carpenters

im not talking to them. im talking to you.
post your shit music m8

I see there is no point in arguing the subject with you because you are in love with the DAW. well congratz if it helps you make your sound.
Really nothing to say to you. you're infatuated with your preferences.

>film scoring is mostly hardware, the software is used as a recording tool.
it really isn't

>pop music is shite. trap music is trash. the sounds they use are repeated so much and the formula is identical, it's all about following a trend.
someone's not paying attention

do you have a point? buying shit doesn't automatically elevate you above the other clueless amateurs

if you think you different then post your shit music, maybe you will have something truly outstanding in the world of DAW production.

you're not even addressing anything I said

I don't even use a DAW, genius

i don't even use daw much. im just pointing out how retarded you are.
now pls go post your music since i asked first.

so...if you are defending DAWs but don't use them, and think hardware is impractical then what do you use?

its called real instruments. have you heard of the guitar???

anyway stop beating around the bush pls post your music.
> and think hardware is impractical then what do you use?
never said this. i said its a waste for majority of people who are starting out to make music unless you're some rich kid or dumbfaggot who thinks spending money will motivate them to make something you could have done for free.

Software is a lot easier to deal with but I guess if you want to look rich than hardware is a good way to go?
There's really no real benefit to 100% hardware.

I use the guitar also, but I have no music to show, haven't made anything in a long long time. and I deleted all the good stuff I made a while back. ( then again looking back it was probably crap) so I don't have anything to show

>can't into muscle memory

Keep on defending tho

fair enough

It's objectively both cheaper and more effective to use a digital workshop if you have a computer that can run one

>There's really no real benefit to 100% hardware.
It's a different workflow, not necessarily a better one. It's a different sound, not necessarily a better one. Sometimes that can be nice, but it's less convenient, more expensive and it clutters your shit up. Take it or leave it.

you have anything you made you wanna share?
I mean if you want

shit argument

>Hardware DAW
wtf is that

no one can tell you what you like more. just download ableton/fl studio and try it for free. if you don't like it, go physical. I know I hate making music on PC, I get way too easily distracted by internet, or anything else on the computer, so I bought a guitar instead.

>ableton/fl studio and try it for free
To be fair, it's probably best to try all the software DAWs because they all function so drastically differently. Reaper, Logic, Cubase, etc. should also get a chance. Shouldn't always side with the most popular ones.

they're usually crap digital recorder things that aren't useful to anyone who knows how to use a computer

they haven't been worth using in like 15 years

fpbp
deniers are embarrassed to admit it's that simple

Eh...maybe buy a MacBook instead.

This. As long as what you make is good, that's all that matters. No one gives a shit how it's made

if you want to make things complicated for yourself, sure

Along with complication comes extended capability.
An iPad is the Chromebook of music production.