Did anyone else realize they got too old for rap while listening to hip hop's latest sensation...

did anyone else realize they got too old for rap while listening to hip hop's latest sensation? not that i found it bad or anything, i just think i'm over it now.

there's a lot of good hip-hop out there, Brockhampton are just average leaning to bad.

No brockhampton is just bad lol

said no one

The producers are pretty good. The rappers are youtube comment-tier desu.

brockhampton is just bad

nah

>latest sensation
i wouldnt call it that

serious question, what don't you like about them?

they have great production, great bars, and pretty decent lyricism. they're no Kendrick or anything but I really don't see what isn't to like.

greatest boy band of all time

>great bars
>decent lyricism
just stop

OFWGKTA for whypipo that think Tyler, the Creator is too spicy.

OFWGKTA for SWPLs that can only tolerate hip-hop once it has been white-washed, re-appropriated by white liberals and gay white-presenting blacks, as well as put through the political-correctness grinder (or should I say Grindr).

Saturation II doesn't provide much consistency thematically, nor does it offer much progression in its production and song structure. Most songs are disparate bars often held together (barely) by a hook against ear-grating instrumentals. These instrumentals have an annoying sonic palette that offers little variation, looping repeatedly and quickly becoming exhausted.

The production tries to direct focus towards the lyricism on this record which is technically good and will impress your puritanical old-heads and geeky rap autists. The content of the lyrics however are often naive and cringe-worthy.

The ideas, thoughts, memes and perspectives laid out on this record, particularly LGBT issues may be relatively new for hip-hop. However they are still the same stale, boring and tired ideas that have dominated the status quo of popular culture for much of the decade. These ideas find themselves constantly spouted by blogs and parroted by Reddit nu-males. I'm honestly surprised that SWPLs still have not become fatigued by these narratives that are pervasive in the media that they consume.

When I want to listen to gay hip-hop on I'm just going to stick to Young Thug tbqh senpai.

No because I expected some proper rap music from Brockhampton and just got Frank Ocean b-sides.

gayest boy band of all time

the songs are really repetitive and most of the hooks are fucking dogshit which doesn't help. I only listened to Saturation 1, though.

Ok production, trash rappers. All of them are bad lol

BUT FANTONO LIKES IT!!1!!

?

you're talking out your ass, they're lyrics aren't whitewashed or white-friendly at all, have you even listened to it?

also there is literally nothing wrong with a rapper being openly gay holy shit

and saying the instrumentals are just loops is objectively wrong, saying this shows me you barely paid attention to them.

liking the hooks is subjective but obviously most people seem to think they're great

Kevin Abstract is at least good, he has a solid aggressive flow, like if you're a hip-hop fan I just don't get how you can not like them unless you're a nu-school trap-fag.

What's the difference between bars and lyrics?
How can something be good and decent at the same time? You're over your head.

My fav rappers are DOOM, El-P, Aesop, Tribe, Wu, etc. Not a fan of most trap stuff. They just aren't good rappers imo, although I agree that Kevin Abstract is the most talented of them

>Thinking your getting too old for a genre
>Really your just getting bored of listening to the genre
>Acting as if your better than the genre or people who enjoy the genre because you feel you grew out of it.

you're.

"bars" is the actual act of rapping, the vocals, and "lyrics" is what they are saying. in other words bars is how they audibly say it and lyrics are what the actual message or substance thematically is. how new to hip-hop are you?

DOOM and GZA are top 5 for me, El-P is top 10, and Brockhampton isn't really trap, at least not like Migos or Future or whatever. Brockhampton are kind of like old-school style with nu-school flair.

I have been over hip-hop for the last 2 years now. Like 60% of the music in my library is still hip-hop.

user, just move on. Don't make a big deal of it. I don't dislike hip-hop, or have anything against people who still listen to it now. But something just "broke down" and I just stopped.

I don't even know what.

You must be trolling. It's a musical term from the beginning. One bar is usually a period of four beats. So when saying a rappers has "nice bars", you're referring to what they're saying over that period of time. Not how they say it.

Usually you use the term "delivery" when referring to "how" they rap, or flow. I get that you're new to rap and feel that you're pat of something big. But you're making a fool out of yourself.

I'M new to rap? you've literally never heard someone say "dude that rapper has BARS" or something like that? I know what bars means in the context of other forms of the music, but if you have "bars" in hip-hop it just means you're a good, fast, and usually aggressive rapper.

you are trying to sound way smarter than you are and massively failing lol

You would usually say "he got a nice flow" or something like that. When someone says "HE GOT BARS" they are referring to the lyrical content, not the fucking speed of the rap.

I don't think growing too old for a genre as broad as hip-hop is possible. maybe the specific subgerne.

lol

The production is what makes me really hate Brockhampton, to be honest. It just comes off as clinical and fake. It's as if every production decision was made with the intent of making the songs "hype", except the songs weren't that exciting to begin with so instead everything feels artificial and shallow. It's neutered to the point that it loses all emotion, and I simply can't enjoy music that soulless. Also, the fact that they're everywhere now only makes me want to listen to them less. Funny how the album is called Saturation and they're oversaturated.

lol

what's their gimmick? are they all just gay or something?

Brockhampton isn't that interesting. Just listen to hip hop that shares similarities with other music you like. Unless you literally don't like the "rap" part any more. Even then, there are a huge variety of rappers out there.

i know a lot of u think brockhampton is shit, but i kinda love that catchy shit... anyone has any similar rapper?? (pls dont say odd future)

Bars=lyrics you brainlet. When a nigga says "I got bars", he's saying that he has quality lyrics. Literally no one uses your version of it.

kidz bop

>how new to hip-hop are you?
not him but never in my life have i heard that. i always thought it was lyrics and have never heard bars referred to as anything else. i'm gonna keep using bars and lyrics interchangeably because i think you're retarded.

>Also, the fact that they're everywhere now only makes me want to listen to them less.

that just makes you a hipster faggot honestly

by all means go ahead and embarrass yourself when you talk to other hip-hop fans IRL

I never liked this group

Any more stuff like Star? I was hoping the whole album was just those 4 rapping, but then I found out it was a collective of people and the rest of the album happened.

It's starting to hit me too. Recently cleaned my music folder and all the rap albums I used to like just did not impress me anymore, cleaned gigs of shitty music.
I'm wondering if it's because of the people I was around or because I was exposed to a new type of music, either way kinda funny how music taste changes.

If you're still in highschool you might like them, there's better groups.

>Sup Forums hates them now
what a relief

I read rym reviews too ;)

>there's better groups

name some then, from this year

From this year I can't name one but these guys suck, just because they are a big group it doesn't mean they are good.

>I can't name one

then I don't care about your shitty opinion

No, Brockhampton gets very boring very quickly. Listen to Injury Reserve instead.

>that just makes you a hipster faggot honestly
how about trying to disprove the actual important part of what I said? You know, instead of the inconsequential sentence-long part I tacked on the end.

the part about it being "fake"? I mean I don't speak for Brockhampton so I can't really comment on that, but it doesn't come across as fake in my subjective interpretation.

Alright, fair enough. Have a good day :)

>they have great production
Ehhh repetitive usage of pitch shifted vocals. They have 3 sounds, rap music, r&b that tries to be like frank ocean and pop rap and all 3 sound half assed
>great bars and pretty decent lyricism
These mean the same thing and no they don't give me a bar that'll have me thinking or astonished.

The hate has been brewing since the first one came out