What's the point of health insurance? Why can't I just walk into a doctor's office, we agree on a price...

What's the point of health insurance? Why can't I just walk into a doctor's office, we agree on a price, and that's that?

Only a stupid fucking burger would think supply and demand works with life saving surgery or that they could barter for services rendered with no leverage at all.

You do know that the instruments used in the most simple experiments cost arounf 15.000 each. Or that the experimetal medicine used for reumatic arthritis costs 150.000 per year per patiƫnt. Have going in there: "oi doctoro i got kidney stones, here is 10 bucks and a free meal at my diner".

T. Medical student who lives in the real world and not on the magic internet

>supply and demand works with life saving surgery
There is no circumstance where the principles of supply and demand stop working.

But you can. People negotiate and pay cash all the time.

I really fucked up the typing on my phone, but the point stands.

Because most americans live pay check to pay check, and have no savings.
When you break a leg, and can't go to work for 3 months, and need to pay your doctor's super high wage, you may reconsider your statement.

t. someone who doesn't have insurance, but keeps savings

I am economically illiterate.

How does the health insurance company pay for it? They take your money, do they use your money, and everyone else's to pay, and then use the rest for profit?

What if too many people need health services, and the health insurance company can't pay for all of them? Or would that never happen?

>What's the point of health insurance? Why can't I just walk into a doctor's office, we agree on a price, and that's that?

They've done such a good job making that sound like a bad thing. And such a good job of making the system shit with forced shit like medicare and obamacare and scapegoating capitalism for how predictably shitty it made medicine.

There are people alive today who were delivered by doctors that parents used to deal with directly, and pay directly. When the individual bears the cost of medicine like any other good, he gets the cheapest price and highest quality.

tools for healthcare are only expensive because everything is proprietary and has to be passed through a million different tests to protect against ambulance chasing lawyers

healthcare costs way more than it should because of frivolous lawsuits, take steps against those if you really want to see costs go down

They would raise premiums. Insurance companies are not in the handout business; they use a whole lot of thorough statistical analysis to set their premiums such that your scenario never happens.

>There is no circumstance where the principles of supply and demand stop working.

Economist here.

Holy fucking shit, Canadians are dumb as bricks.

No wonder you elected Trudeau :^)

>Economist here
You should ask for your money back.

>Why can't I just walk into a doctor's office, we agree on a price, and that's that?

... but you can. Millions of people without insurance negotiate cash rates every single year.

Why can't Jews stop lying for shekel on the internet?

It's not 2010 anymore user

if so and so won't take my shekels I'll go to the next guy, Jeb the turtle veterinarian to perform a prostate removal

Here is why health insurance exists:

>Be me, 27
>I've been working full time since I was 16
>Going on 12 years of paying in towards insurance
>NEVER use it- literally never use my health insurance

>Co-workers are nasty creatures
>They chain-smoke
>Several of them wind up with cancer
>Guess who pays?
>Insurance
>My insurance rate goes UP, even though I DONT EVEN FUCKING USE IT
>Group policy
>One of the stupid fucking pieces of shit double-dips on policies
>That's called insurance fraud

MEANWHILE

>Hospitals have a rough time maintaining financials
>Funding gets cut constantly
>Insurance companies aren't paying as quickly as they should- lots of disputes
>Hospitals raise costs to insurance companies (why cash option is SO much cheaper)
>Suddenly a $12 device costs $1200

If too many people needed to use the medical insurance (50%+) the system itself would collapse, the costs would come close if not surpass the costs of actually getting the procedures done.

I always think of it like Social Security, everyone pays in, and when they need help/retire they take money back out. But it should be noted that communal funds always run into the problem of overburden by leeches

It's literally beyond Econ 101, the VERY FIRST THING you learn in intermediate econ is "You know that Econ 101 shit? It's worthless."

The graphs are simplistic, the explanations are fallacious, and it all serves just to get you ready for everything above that. Supply and demand break down constantly. If it didn't, there would be neither boom nor bust and we'd live in a laissez faire paradise mate.

What year is it, Mr. Shekelberg?

Again, if you learned in intermediate econ that the fundamental principles in basic econ are wrong or somehow stop working after a certain point, you should ask for your money back.

Do you suppose that in intermediate mathematics, they teach that 2+2 is no longer 4 some of the time?

>there would be neither boom nor bust
Also, this is supply and demand working as it should, in response to credit creation. Did you sleep through your classes?

You do realize that stuff like 2 + 5 has more than one solution in intermediate mathematics right? Or are you being ironic?

Yeah it's there you idiot you just get fucked by it, hence it be working out for you at all. They have all the power and you have none, they have all the supply and you have all the demand.

You can't preform your own heart surgery during a heart attack but guess who can? What they won't lower their price? Why?

you can niqqa

only problem is you're going to pay more because insurance companies negotiate lower rates with your doctor because insurance companies guarantee economies of scale to the doctor

it's the same in any industry. auto insurance customers pay less for rental cars than people without insurance:::::: economies of scale

why the fuck do people support free healthcare

Because corporations and trade unions
You must be 12 if you think the world is that simple

When I am the head of my own home I'm joining a Christian healthcare costs sharing group, because it's the best way to avoid Jewish globalist insurance corporations and is more ethical

At no point does 2+5 equal anything other than 7. Did you get your education in a backwoods trailer university?

If you want another basic example, take the reflexive property of equality.

>they have all the supply and you have all the demand.
Welcome to the real world.

Because they want something without paying for it. TANSTAAFL.

No its jewish bankers buying low and selling high. Theres a reason people tried to deport jews from the US 7 times in the 1930s.

You can do that, but you seem to underestimate the costs of all the medical equipment and training.
If you have high costs for a not so probable incident you want an insurance to spread out the risk.

>buying low and selling high
Arbitrage doesn't cause the business cycle. Money creation does.

So that whites can subsidize the non-prouctive shitskins and deadbeats.

If you weren't so cucked you would allow insurance companies that are allowed to reject dindus.