This is it guys possibly the last days of free internet

This is it guys possibly the last days of free internet

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14616632
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

did you use a comodore 64?

Yup. I hope that they lose. But, if they don't... Maybe it won't be soo terrible.

I’m hoping that at least one internet company won’t break net neutrality even if it’s repealed so I can just use that one

strawpoll.me/14616632

vote niggers

>living somewhere where more than one ISP provides service

>last days
of your faggotshill postfest
so wins all around then
get more impotent cunt

>*for americans

*changes ISP*

Net Neutrality is another smelly load of big government bullshit aimed at putting a stranglehold on something we use every single day.

It’s another slew of canyonesque barriers meant to stifle competition/entry in the ISP market and put us at the mercy of corporations. It’s a solution we don’t want to a problem nobody has. Look closely at the people/groups that support net neutrality and you’ll have your answer.

It’s just like climate change hysteria: it’s about more legislation to burden average people with endless taxes and fees while helping someone else get very, very rich in the process. It’s not about saving anything. It’s about a massive transfer of wealth.

Many of those in favor of Net Neutrality think that without daddy government, the ISPs will start throttling users’ speeds for any or no reason, or that without net neutrality ISPs/mobile carriers will do “whatever they want" to their consumers, such as banning some services (like Netflix). Others cite that the US is quite slow in internet speeds compared to other countries and that somehow, magically, net neutrality would bring us up to speed. (And indeed, the US has recently been ranked #3 in connectivity and #10 in internet speed with the rest of the world [1].)

First, an ISP or mobile carrier can put whatever terms it wants on to you, provided they let you know about it with clear and well-defined rules. They are in the right for doing that. They make these terms and conditions in order to maximize your enjoyment out of their service as well as that of everyone else, and to make a profit as well. Internet access is a commodity; ie, you do not have a “right” to internet access. You use the internet with the corresponding expectation that you follow the terms of service that have been laid out to you by your ISP and that you also do not break US/Federal law while accessing the internet. You cannot use your service in ways that are costly beyond reason to the ISP, such as downloading massive amounts of data or sending/receiving denial-of-service attacks. ISPs can also block the usage of certain services for any or no reason.

An oft-cited example of “ISP corruption” is when AT&T once blocked the Skype service on iPhones due to the strain it put on AT&T’s resources at the time [2]. Many cite this as an abuse from AT&T on its consumers, but it was a simple business decision because at the time, AT&T was the only iPhone carrier. There is a plethora of other examples where ISPs have had to make simple business decisions that are for the better of their consumers, yet are perceived as unfair by some. However, the freedom of businesses to make simple business decisions is not grounds for a massive net neutrality campaign or any other government legislation.

Let me put it another way: do we need “popcorn neutrality” because movie theaters won’t let you bring popcorn from home into the theater? What if you want to bring in some Chinese take-out? That’s not fair that they can just put rules on you like that. We clearly need Popcorn Neutrality because without it, theaters could start putting whatever crazy rules they want on you! How dare they! Also, with Popcorn Neutrality, it would unilaterally make all the screens magically turn into Japanese Ultra 3D Disney Digital Hypermax TrueFont™……

No, you use movie theaters as a pleasure/leisure. You buy a ticket with implicit consent to all their rules. You don’t have a “right” to go into the movie theater, and you don’t have to create a whole arsenal of laws that define that “right” to go to the movie theater any way you personally see fit, including bringing in your own food from home. You may not like the rules of that movie theater, but for the most part, they are there to ensure the maximum satisfaction of the most possible people that go there. Just go to a different movie theater if you don’t like its rules - after all, you are free to choose. Moreover, Popcorn Neutrality would also end up taxing (fancy word for stealing) from everyone, including those that already were happy to buy movie theater popcorn and adhere to the rules, those go to the theaters perhaps once or twice a year, and those that haven’t even been to the theater in years or decades. And all this is nothing compared to the cost of compliance now imposed on all movie theaters. Why should your movie theater visit cost uninvolved people their money? Why do you want to create more taxes and rules because you feel entitled to rewrite the simple rules of a private business nobody forced you to give patronage to?

Your euro companies are already looking at how American ISP's are going to handle this and then implement them themselves, they have always followed business practices that the US sets.And seeing how you all are cucks its going to be way worse.
Welcome to the dialup age of the internet!

The speed issue is equally simple. The US’s internet speeds are not slow because of the big bad ISPs wanting to stick it to consumers and get rich in doing so. (I’m begging someone to explain this thinking to me. Businesses don’t get rich by giving their consumers shitty products.) The reason for our slightly slower speeds is that the US pioneered telecommunications and was the first to implement the costly groundwork for high speed internet. Other countries have since simply adopted our advancements for efficiency and speed without any of the years of work we put in. “We were the standard and the innovators which benefited all these other developed and developing countries. But at the same time we have invested in such a massive amount of original infrastructure here, that it is slow going to replace it with newer, faster developments. Furthermore, the US is profoundly larger geographically and in population, although far more broadly dispersed, compared to most other advanced nations with high density populations and our demand is also still quite high. This allocation of better, more expensive infrastructure across sparsely-populated regions makes it more difficult to deliver it uniformly across the entire country which leads to mixed quality; especially when many people are still quite content with the service they already have” [3].

Look, the ISPs and mobile carriers currently work for us. They are at our mercy. If we don’t like them, we can leave for someone better. Things are cheap for us consumers right now and they’re only getting better. Why would anyone want to flip this around? We don’t need massive regulation of the internet access. Government regulation has never resulted in a better, cheaper product. We don’t need to create another immortal government agency that will only suffocate us with taxes and entrench monopolies deeper in the ISP market. That is the last thing anyone advocating for a free and fair internet would want. How sad and hypocritical that these idiots are the ones banging on about how good net neutrality is. They are either ignorant or they simply have an agenda, like all liars.

not to mention the nature of the battle itself:
FCC v FTC, congressional politics, etc.
furthermore
do you pro-NN faggots really think that there will be no federal regulation of the net if NN is killed?
if so, you're fucking infants
stay here

With us back to the past, prior to the imposition of these rules in 2015, we had a free and open Internet. We were not living in some digital dystopia in which that kind of anti-consumer behavior happens. There was no market failure, in other words, for the government to solve. Going forward, the question then is, what should the regulations be? Now as you said, there could be some kind of anti-competitive conduct by one or a couple players. And to me, at least, the question is, how do you want to address that? Do you want to have preemptive regulation based on rules that were generated in the Great Depression to regulate this dynamic space, or do you want to take targeted action against the bad apples as they pop up?

And to me, at least, the targeted action is the better approach, for a couple different reasons. Number one, preemptive regulation comes at significant cost. Treating every single Internet Service Provider as a monopolist, an anti-competitive monopolist that has to be regulated with common-carrier regulation, is a pretty…that’s a sledgehammer kind of tool. And so that has significant impacts, and we’ve seen some of those impacts in terms of less investment in broadband networks going forward.

But secondly, I think it also obscures the fact that we want to preserve a vibrant open Internet with more competition. And so to the extent you impose these heavy-handed regulations, ironically enough, you might be cementing in the very lack of competition, as you see it, that you want to address.

And so my argument has been, let’s introduce more competition into the marketplace in order to solve that problem. We’ve been doing that by improving more satellite companies, getting more spectrum out there for wireless companies, incentivizing smaller fiber providers in cities like Detroit, to be able install infrastructure. That is the way to solve that problem. Not preemptively saying, “We are going to impose these rules on everybody, regardless of whether there is an actual harm right now.”

>today: fast download speed
>tomorrow: still as fast as today
>friday: still as fast as today
>mfw

I actually enjoy NN dying the way it is, it shows the lazy millennials that their government is compromised by monopolies. Hopefully this will get them out of their basements so they can vote out the corruption. Shit even leddit posted all the payouts to the republican politicians got from the monopolistic IPS's.

I consider this a good thing. They really dropped the ball on how they dismembered it.

>Removal of regulation, creating monopolies

>big government dun it

Try harder faggot

I think it COULD be a good thing but everyone will almost certainly use it for evil.

>government is compromised by monopolies
Been saying this since Dick got Haliburton rich from Iraq.

Good optimistic view, I really hope people wake up from this blatant corruption. People are fucking stupid though.

>vote
What the fuck is that going to do

Republicans are more bought out than dems that's for sure, but dems aren't much better. Ugh, the lesser of two evils some would say. I really hate we have to result to that.

>vote
out the corruption. It will do a lot, this is why we have transfer of power and elections in the first damn place. Power corrupts, and ISP monopolies ultimately corrupt.

Bet pai is getting the best fast lanes and will destroy everyone on overwatch with his amazing ping. Lucky faggot.

>Bet pai is getting the best fast lanes and will destroy everyone on overwatch with his amazing ping. Lucky faggot.

Wait what? This will manipulate ping? I thought it was just broadband. Holy shit.... pay to play just went to a new level.

Holy crap you are uninformed. Giving control to companies does not create more taxes. The ISP companies have already throttled speed. That's the issue
Do you not know what happened with Netflix? Why the literal fuck would letting monopolies decide how the internet works increase speeds? That costs them money.

bunch of fucking idiots getting all riled up over nothing as per usual.

the internet will be fine. the world and it's mindless fucking apes go through cycles. this is one of them and you'll forget all about it in 2 weeks and latch on to the next scary thing to come along.

Time to get a job, OP

Yep RIP competitive online gaming kek

WHAT?! people can fucking pay for better ping?!?!? OH FUCK!!!! WHAT THE FUCK!!!! Please tell me this is fake... They wouldn't do that.

goddamn it, can I just come here once with out getting depressed fucking Sup Forums

I have some bad news for you user

Nice, I'll just pay for better latency and destroy the poor plebs with faster headshots. Fucking freemarket bitch!! Sucks to be broke faggot.

wut?

They can only limit bandwidth not latency you fucking retards, your stupid games are safe

>moves to a different country for net neutrality

user, I hate to tell you this... That's exactly what's happening.

Is there a way to fuck with those involved?

i.e. hotlines, twitter, legitimate information that can lead to hillary's arrest?

Network Engineer for a major ISP here... Uhm we can limit latency, under NN laws we aren't allowed to manipulate it. We're already getting ready to implement throttling it as we speak. Realistically this will change how online games are played. As an avid gamer, I'm not too happy about it either. But it's what's happening.

Luke dies via force projection fighting Kylo Ren and saving Rey

Alright McClane blow up the building and drop some german wizard off the top of the building and save the day.

This is some top notch shilling user. You should get a raise.

Nice dubs

was fun knowing ya americucks

protest against the law

>We’ve been doing that by improving more satellite companies, getting more spectrum out there for wireless companies, incentivizing smaller fiber providers in cities like Detroit, to be able install infrastructure. That is the way to solve that problem.
This is the truth right here. "Net neutrality" is a solution to a contrived problem designed to get the uncritically thinking public to emotionally demand regulation that will make it more difficult to treat the real problem, which is lack of competition. It's interesting to consider that lack of competition is only a problem in the first place as a result of anticompetitive laws, e.g. exclusivity agreements with cities, which telecom companies abuse extensively.

>Bringing popcorn from home to the theater is the same as being literally incapable of getting it anywhere else and popcorn is literally necessary for life in this analogy

Oh. Wait. The shitty propaganda piece you quoted used a shitty analogy.

It isn't popcorn in the theater, it's food or water end of story. The internet is as much a necessity as electricity these days and this is a step backwards, a huge step backwards.

amazing distraction of nn destroying online gaming lol

>3 months ans 5 days or some shit from now: "please upgrade to our pirate package to continue torrenting uninterrupted" or "this application is in violation of our terms of service"

when is the date net neutrality ends?

The fact this needed to be shilled kind of scares me even more... fuck

user... Oh, sweet user... It doesn't work like that any more.

I think the idea is attractive when you think of it as higher traffic websites will be faster while low traffic website won't take priority. But also who's to say they won't limit competitors sites or even sites with different political viewpoints to being nearly impossible to access? Sounds like red talk to me.

>people actually believe all this same-fagging scare tactics shit

most if not all of this is being posted by people who have very little experience or knowledge of the topics at hand let alone business and politics on a general unbiased level and as such, should be treated as fiction.

this is shitposting's version of liberal media.

Are you spoiling that SJW shitfest "star wars" movie? Zero fucks given, I don't knowingly consume propaganda.

NN dying is a huge fucking blow to an already weakening nation's freedoms. Ibhipe to god you aren't a shill, I hope you're just a fucktard, because pushing this shit knowing what it really means is beyond fucked.

All the murrifags whining about this and I'm sat here in the UK unphased by any of this shit.

Fucking kek

At least we didn't get cucked by monarchy. Only capitalism and NPD.

America is being used as a test market, these same practices we're getting are coming to a (literally fucming everywhere) near you real soon.

Nice tunnel vision.

I have comcast currently and am averaging about 100 kp/s down. So I almost have dial up before net neutrality dies (which i hope doesn't)

Tomorrow at 10:30 EST is the FCC vote

For real, you guys will likely be next. Im surprised you weren't first with all your weird laws.

Is the unabomber still incarcerated?

unfazed, nigger

lol the conservacuck is going to lose to my fast lane.

>the internet will be fine.
What do you mean by that?

>the internet will be fine
It means they hope nothing happens and are retarded enough to think ignoring it will make it go away

>if you don't have a phd in internets then you have no opinion
Fucking what?! kys

..so much political butt hurt at this point citizens are just letting them win now