Long shot...

Long shot, but has anyone here had brain surgery or a traumatic brain injury and developed severe depression a couple years after?

No, but, why do you think it is related?

its not uncommon
talk with your physician and get counseling, etc

ia m braN damagd

Well, my surgeon told me that it's a common side effect within 1 year after surgery. Now it's been about 2.5 years after, and maybe 5 months ago I started developing symptoms of depression and now I just feel useless and miserable. I was really excited to go back to school after a few years off and I'm doing terribly and hate it, when I used to enjoy it.

I'm seeing my GP next week and in January I'm seeing a neuropsychologist to see if I have a cognitive impairment so I can get extra time on my exams

>Long shot, but.....

Pffft hahaha yeah bro I had the exact same thing.

Why is it a common side effect? Did he mention why?

I remember the OP who posted this photo

>neuropsychologist
I saw one of those. Thought she'd be really smart because of the "neuro" bit, but turns out they are just psychologists that did some research. Absolutely bummer. For sure they'll be dumb enough where you can convince them you need extra time on your exams though.

he never mentioned why, but even the psychologist who I saw after surgery to make sure I was still functioning properly said depression is what they look for within the first year after surgery. But it's been almost 3 years now and it's just kicking in it seems

is me again

The reason I ask is because a lot of times it could just be "people get depressed because they had brain surgery" rather than the actual surgery. Does that make sense? Meaning you missed school, so maybe had less friends, or the surgery didn't accomplish what you thought, or whatever.

tbi causes a wide span of subtle impairments in processing, attention, rate of response, context awareness, emotional regulation

I see what you mean, but I had surgery to cure epilepsy. So Actually within the first couple years I was way happier than I was before surgery, and I got accepted to law school wich I was psyched about. Now I'm in law school, have several friends, am getting laid regularly, but I feel just as depressed as I did before surgery. I feel kind of like, held back. I also think here's a cognitive impairment compared to my peers who can reiterate complex concepts much more coherently than I can without addressing my notes. I also fatigue quickly from reading. I'm wondering if an anidepressant might help me.

to continue, basically I had seizures several times per week and was pretty depressed about this. Got cured, felt good for a couple years, go back to doing normie shit, feel depressed again even though no seizures.

I'd avoid the anti-depressants. It's a really tough road. The doctors are hot on them, and I bet they'll try to get you to take them, but the problem is if you look at the research they don't work that well. The studies on them were all done for people who were attempting suicide and this was their last chance, not the generally down depressed types. In my experience, the antidepressants made me worse. They made me numb, and the time I was on them was a waste - I literally just drifted, now I feel terrible how I wasted those years. They were also very hard to quit.

You can look into Cognitive Behavior Therapy/CBT. That's a drug free route. I don't have the real answer, I still struggle with depression. I don't think the doctors will either, and you have to be careful they don't fuck you up more with the drugs.

I've taken a lot of blows to the head for various reasons. none of them were particularly bad, but all of them together has done something. I wouldn't say I have severe depression from it, but I'm not what I used to be.

Easier to get angry. Regular, if not severe, bouts of depression. General disinterest in things I used to enjoy. Headaches. Lots of headaches. General difficulty focusing on tasks.

Developed a fear of social/professional events due to one of the injuries happening after I was giving a speech and slipped and landed my head on the edge of one of the steps up to the stage. Things like that. I've had about 15 semi-traumatic injuries to the head that required time off of work. It has taken its toll.

Find someone to talk to about stuff. Force yourself to start talking even if you are anxious about it. Its easy to get trapped in your own head about these things. I've gotten better in recent months by forcing myself to be uncomfortable and actually talk to people.

Medication usually helps most people. Beware though, it doesn't make you happy, it makes you numb. Being numb isn't necessarily better than being depressed. And on an actual regimen of meds, you not only become numb to your lows, you become numb to some highs as well. But for some people, this is the only way to function.

Biggest thing to remember; treatment isn't always for your benefit. Sometimes it leans in favor of your peers. The question you need to ask is; "Do I want to be less sad, or do I want my Family and Friends to be happy?"

There is a fine line distinction there. When you are numb, you can function well enough to provide care and love to your family, even if you don't feel reciprocation. But if you don't feel loved frequently enough, eventually, you will get worse quickly. Treatment is easier if you have that logical higher brain working that forces you to realize that being there for your family in any capacity that is not negative is better than not being there.

I take anti-depressants and they are working great for me. Have identified my depression and anxiety.

What happened OP?

>Medication usually helps most people. Beware though, it doesn't make you happy, it makes you numb. Being numb isn't necessarily better than being depressed. And on an actual regimen of meds, you not only become numb to your lows, you become numb to some highs as well. But for some people, this is the only way to function.
This is so true. For me though it wasn't helpful because I didn't realize how numb I was. I thought it was helping, because I was drugged, but it wasn't. I think the drugs are pretty dangerous

hHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I had depression about 3 years later after my surgery, ended up eventually being the cause of issues between my gf and I, we broke up before our 5th year anniversary, feels bad man.

They certainly can be. Not having a sounding board to regularly compare how numb you become is the hard part about being young and depressed on meds. As a general rule of thumb, anyone under 30 doesn't know themselves well enough to logically gauge a major change (or many minor changes stacked up) in behavior due to simple lack of experience in life.

levi? dat you boi?

We all have brain damage.

had brain surgery for epilepsy/bain tunour

OP here, my sister was on anti depressants for years and she said they really helped her get through a rough patch so I'm hoping they'd work for me too, at least help me get through law school.

why did you have surgery?

I was in a car accident, 18 wheeler hit my driver side door, we believe my at the time, gfs head and my own collided. My skull was completely crushed in on my right side, and right eye socket was shattered.

I wish you the best. Please remember what I said though, and have someone watch you.

that's shitty man, hope you're doing better

My body and health is doing well, but I seem to have severe anxiety now, but not of driving which is strange. I have been getting some recent pains in my head on the side the Titanium is on, so I should probably go see my doctor to make sure everything is ok.

bump

NO. but I did not die from a tumor the size of a goldball

Yes I lost enough blood for my heart to stop for a bit after cracking my head on an artery
I eventually developed a bi-polar disorder that may or may not be genetic considering family had some problems.
And when I drink I black out alot easier too.
I got a concussion several years later and became suicidal and emotionally volatile for a bit.

>And when I drink I black out alot easier too.
OP here I get this too. and I over do it easier now than before

>I eventually developed a bi-polar disorder that may or may not be genetic considering family had some problems.
>And when I drink I black out alot easier too.
>I got a concussion several years later and became suicidal and emotionally volatile for a bit.

If my head was stitched together like a spalding baseball, I'd feel a little wacky as well.

Cognitive Behavioral therapy and medication together are the best ways to treat your depression. The therapy helps you to stop the self defeating pattern of thinking that magnify the depression. I had brain surgery in 2000 to treat an brain aneurism, I was placed on Cymbalta afterwards, it was a lifesaver.

Don't drink and drive it'll fuck your shit up like it has mine