What would your music taste be like without the internet?

What would your music taste be like without the internet?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=trump's there are fine people on both sides tweet&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2-ciEwMTWAhUH-mMKHe3xDnUQBQgjKAA&biw=1536&bih=722
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the internet invented music

without world wide web or without any internet at all? cause i got like half my library through AIM transfers...

Pretty garbage considering most of my taste came from listening to music downloaded off the internet

complete ass

93xrt : my morning jacket - holding on to black metal

Probably just the beach boys, because that's the first band I was introduced to.

Oh boy it'd be complete shit.
Just shit like Muse, indie rock and 80's heavy metal.
Fuck Sup Forums really did save me from terrible taste.

I'd probably be mu-core, like a pleb.

from a really small town, basically would only have access to what's on the radio/mtv and walmart CD selections, maybe some Guitar World dvds and handmedowns

fucking counting crows lmao

The same as it is now.

i'd probably just listen to Comfortably Numb until I died

Probably just shit my parents like and then a bit of electronic music sprinkled in.

What my parents are into:
>The Cure
>The Smiths
>Brand New
>Pinback
>Type O Negative
>The Beatles
>Slayer
>Black Sabbath
>Metallica

Real shitty, prob a mix of cumbia, reggaeton and recently trap

Nonexistent desu

I would probably still listen to the same metal. There's this local hole in the wall record store that would've exposed me to the underground stuff if it wasn't the internet that would do it. I took AP Music Theory in high school so I have classical covered as well. But probably would not be as deep into jazz beyond jazz guitarists, and electronic stuff beyond Daft Punk. Especially the latter since it gets so little exposure in the US.

>Pinback

First time I've heard them referenced on Sup Forums, your parent's have good tastes.

My taste hasn't changed that much

How the fuck did artists like Moby discover music like Leonard Cohen, Joy Division, and The Smiths before technology made it so much easier?

My dad bought me a Cypress Hill concert DVD when I was 6

I would probably be a top40 drone

I've always had friends into different stuff so it would probably be not too different. The internet allows for ease of finding more similar artists though, and the nuances of different bands have helped me get into entirely new genres over time

Only dadrock and rap

i'm 50 years old.

We learned about music by going to record stores all. the. time. to leaf through the bins, by going to friends' houses and listening to record after record, by subscribing to the Village Voice, Rolling Stone and SPIN (too young for Creem), and by listening to college radio.

I really liked the Rolling Stone Guide To Records and would go to the bookstore to read it before going to shop for used records.

Spotify is fucking amazing.

CDs were good too, because a ton of old stuff got re-released on CD and distributed pretty widely, so suddenly it became easy to get things like "Astral Weeks" and "Sister Lovers".

Before that you would have to go from record shop to record shop to find a particular record. Although this was fine because basically your free time was already spent going from record shop to record shop and looking at every single record in the bins.

>inb4 nice blog post
>inb4 you old

IDM and The Cure

I'd probably only be listening to classical, jazz, and dadrock

dadrock, kanye, maybe some entry level jazz

There is a thread going on right now where anons are butthurt about Godspeed's new album being political. Because it's "Drumpf". They are actually mad because, apparently, being critical of the president is uncool.
If it were up to these guys, punk would have never happened.

>Leonard Cohen, Joy Division, and The Smiths
those are all pretty famous lol. you'll find them in any record store

I'd still be a metalhead probably

these don't sound bad

>If it were up to these guys, punk would have never happened.
good

wow, i really don't know. that's scary.

bands that played on woodstock 99

nonstop 90s alt rock

top 40 pop and some rap

haha

Non-stop, all day every day, politics continues seeping into every aspect of everyday life. I want a break from this shit too. I don't listen to Godspeed, but literally every other band (non-punk even) has done the same "muh drumpf" shit just repackaged. Politics fucking sucks, I don't want it tarnishing something I enjoy from artists I enjoy.

The fact that you dismiss what is going on right now as "muh drumpf" is pretty disturbing.
The world is not Sup Forums and memes. There is some really scary shit going on right now. shit that is unprecedented. People are scared... and they should be.
I can't fault you for wanting an escape from the craziness, but to put the burden on the people who create your entertainment to pretend like it's not happening is just unfair.
Or maybe you are so wrapped up in Sup Forums that you don't really understand what is really going on.

the majority of what's going on right now is a knee jerk reaction
hell trump has gone back on plenty of his previously controversial shit
there's shit to be scared about and it's certaintly not trump, at this point it it's just a cheap way to get people to suck your dick

Hardcore punk, "classic rock", soul music, southern rap, "backpacker" rap, gangsta rap, college rock, outlaw country, jazz, classical.

My taste first formed from my Dad's punk, alternative, and hip hop records as well as my Uncle's Beatles, soul, and country records. When I went to middle school I played in band so I got into entry level classical and jazz. My taste really hasn't changed much. I've really just added new artists I've liked as well as electronic music and world music type stuff to the mix.

me as well. healthy helping of beastie boys too

Do you not see what is going on around you?
A president so consumed with bravado that he is skirting war.
Neo-nazis marching in the street being called "good people" by the president.
Racism and sexism being pushed because it's "uncool" to say anything against it.
This shit is going on right now.

Found the antifa brainlet.

Houston hip hop exclusively

>I'll use memes, surely no one can come back from that!"

You're an idiot.

music started in 1910 dumass

>uncool to say anything against racism and sexism
except for tons of people going out of their way to speak out against both?

NIN, The Cure, New Order, lots of new wave, synthpop and industrial metal.

>"uncool" to say anything against racism and sexism
Anti-"racism" and anti-sexism is all the mainstream media push and millennials (like you) parrot. It's far and away the cool thing to be with everyone else!

Don't you have some legal gathering of white men to go disturb?

Not quite sure what the fuck you were thinking with your third point (perhaps you've spent too much time on Sup Forums), but everything else in your post is spot on. Our president is a fucking madman, no matter where you land on the political spectrum you should scared both of that fact, and of the populace/ political machine that allowed him to become president. To ask artists to ignore the truly awful things occurring around them because criticsing the government isnt fashionable in some circles is extremely Orwellian

My iPod was literally just the entire discography of Styx in freshman year of high school before I started exposing myself to new music

Nice blog post. You old.

>Neo-nazis marching in the street being called "good people" by the president.
When did this actually happen?

>Racism and sexism being pushed because it's "uncool" to say anything against it.
The most racism and sexism is coming from the far left who keep propping it up since it's the basis of social justice

Do you not visit Sup Forums?
"muh diversity"
"muh stronk womyn character"
"muh forced diversity"
"we waz kingz"

The media may be on board with it, but this counterculture sure as hell is against it and reacts by trying to make it seem "uncool".
Sup Forums literally is trying to paint a picture of white genocide. As is this guy

well I’d probably be a lot happier

hey faggot stop shitting up unrelated threads, nobody cares

how is not seeing color a bad thing now

>When did this actually happen?
After Charlottesville. During the Press conference meltdown at Trump Tower.

>The most racism and sexism is coming from the far left who keep propping it up since it's the basis of social justice
Keep telling yourself that. If you say it three times and spin in a circle it might just come true!

Not who you're responding to, but I work in policy.

I want to relax.

I'll still be listening to Linkin Park and Maroon 5 or basically Top 40 shit on the radio

Local punk bands

>When did this actually happen?

Trump's "There are some very fine people on both sides" tweet, and his ensuing failure to address that tweet.

>After Charlottesville. During the Press conference meltdown at Trump Tower.
I remember him condemning both the antifa kiddos and the neo-nazis, but I don't remember him saying that the KKK is a bunch of cool dudes

>Keep telling yourself that. If you say it three times and spin in a circle it might just come true!
Implying I'm wrong about this

Ok, that's only Sup Forums. That's a small sliver of the population, and most of the shit here is just memes anyway. You're seriously overreacting.

>tfw nothing trump does will ever effect me

So that's some kind of codespeak for "skinheads are great"?

No... you don't care. Don't assume that everyone is as apathetic as you.

Yes. That is exactly what I meant. Keep playing dumb... I'm sure it will pay off eventually.

Not him, OP here.
>music board

Not him but here it hasn't been memes for years and you have a serious case of wishful thinking if you think it is

I would have gotten sick of the Back Eyed Peas and Crazy frog CDs I had as a kid long ago and started listening to shitty buttmetal

so basically the same

Gotta bend ALL the way over whitey!

>and most of the shit here is just memes anyway.

What does that even mean?
"they were just being racist and sexist as a meme"?

Seriously?!

I can't read your mind, assuming you actually have an argument in there. Elaborate on why this is a problem:
>Trump's "There are some very fine people on both sides" tweet, and his ensuing failure to address that tweet.

fuck off retard nobody cares

>listening to the same thing for the rest of your life
Isn't that technically insanity?

You didn't have to "find" any of those world famous bands.

>plays farcry 3 once

I'm sorry, I just assumed that with your worldview being so defined as it were, that you had watched the news or picked up a newspaper recently...
Here... go wild:
google.com/search?q=trump's there are fine people on both sides tweet&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2-ciEwMTWAhUH-mMKHe3xDnUQBQgjKAA&biw=1536&bih=722

You're thinking of performing an action, experiencing failure, and repeating the exact same action in hopes for a different outcome

Nope.
You don't care.
Most smart people do... one way or the other.

I already listened to(pretty much) all of my favorite artist before seeing them on the internet, the others I would probably have found out about them without it.

completely garbage
i wouldnt be aware of the existence of any music in the world beyond top 40 pop and ACDC-esque rawk music

all my rymcore tendencies would be wiped away instantly
my dad was a huge 80s music so i would probably also listen to more depeche mode, pet shop boys, madonna. i was also a huge fan of franz ferdinand and other post-punk/ garage rock revival bands so i'd probably still listen to them

uh, no.

>tendencies
*fan

Did you even read *any* of these articles? Look at the first one from Huffington Post. The headline is "Trump Called White Supremacists ‘Very Fine People’ But An Athlete Who Protests Is A ‘Son Of A Bitch’", but the article itself says that he decried both sides. Same with the Fox News article, same quote. Nowhere did he say that white supremacists were above antifa.

Then again, you not reading these explains why you're sympathetic with antifa thugs and trying to talk down to people, I guess.

No. No No.
That is a retarded pop-psychology meme that was perpetuated a few years back.
It's a stupid oversimplification that has nothing to do with anything other than that a bunch of stupid people repeated it.

>I’m smart because I watch the news and start arguments on Sup Forums

high schoolers should not be allowed to use the internet

did none of you watch TV? one of the reasons my taste was so diverse as a kid was cause of much music and much more music. pretty sure MTV/VH1 had similar music programs

I'm sorry. I just assumed that you would read several articles, maybe actually explore the issue and gather the information necessary to make an informed opinion... instead of going in with your mind made up
>why you're sympathetic with antifa thugs and trying to talk down to people

I bet you are just about bursting at the seams and sweating to say "Libtard" right now.

Name one example where it would be better to repeat something forever and get nowhere than it would be to try a new solution

>Read articles
>Take away from the contents rather than the clickbait headline
>"Nooo ur dum for doing that"

forgot to mention magazines also. did anyone else not have an interest in music before becoming addicted to the internet

Wow.
Nice abstract jab about how I must be young (in High school). That will for sure shut me down. Maybe call me a virgin next. Definitely don't look at this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Watching the news is a good first step to being informed. I get that you wouldn't want that, though... makes the mental gymnastics required to maintain your position that much harder.

Most anons here don't legitimately like music. They just came here hoping that having "good" taste would give them a cool/unique character trait in an attempt to fill the void.

You are missing the point.
Yes, doing that would be stupid.
It is not the definition of a thing as complex and nebulous as "Insanity".
Claiming so is just irresponsible and destructive.

Insanity comes in many forms, some of which are simple. The quote applies just fine.