RIP 1997 - 2017

RIP 1997 - 2017

20 years boys. Literally. I'm still using it right now. Got a couple hours before it dies. I hope I die with it and I'm sure you hope I die with it too. I've never owned a phone but I've always had AIM. FML

Other urls found in this thread:

change.org/p/save-net-neutrality-netneutrality
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bye

F

Christ I'm old and forgot about it

F
remember how many times they deleted our profiles just to replace them with a new profile provider? fuck bebo
gonna miss you AIM
been with you since the first CD that arrived in my mailbox all those years ago and will never forghetti you

F

>Dumb ol' ass messaging system boi

RIP

I started using it in 2001 and goddamn was it awesome. That’s back when you could talk to random motherfuckers and be friends with anyone in the world. Facebook has replaced it, but Facebook also limits you to the people you know irl. AIM had chat rooms you could join and all kinds of shit when you were bored out of your mind..

Remember the profiles?
The sound of the door opening?
Your buddy icon?

I miss the fuck out of those days. I truly, truly do.

Who else used to use practically all of the platforms?

AIM
Yahoo Messenger
MSN
and even retarded ass ICQ

All were installed on my pc at the same time.

me too Sup Forumsro
me too
fucking nostalgia'd and check'd

same here

and you had no friends or people messaging you right?

Holy shit, I got trips. That’s a first.

Also, in addition to all those platforms, who else had mIRC? Hell, also remember when you could consolidate all those platforms and just use Trillian?

I am definitely feeling the goddamn nostalgia tonight.

ICQ was huge here in Brazil.

I had a fuck ton. Some I knew irl, some I knew only on the web. I remember hitting the damn friend limits and having to delete people. I remember the constant dinging of people messaging.

Now, I regularly talk to only like 3 people via messenger on a daily basis. I miss the old net.

kek
i still use trillian

ICQ was apparently huge outside of the USA because I remember working for some peeps outside of the USA and that’s all they used. I also remember getting a random message one day from a Russian chick when I was a teen on ICQ and she was practicing her English by trying to make American friends. I ended up talking to her for years. No idea wtf ever happened to her.

Damn! That’s hardcore, man.

IRC will live forever

me and my quake/tribes/cs buddies used that in the 90s

Israeli company

I don't care what the fuck anyone says.

Back then, when the internet was young and fresh and no-one really had that much of a handle on it, I remember meeting people around the world on AIM and then becoming pen-friends, because society hadn't moved to mass internet usage yet and writing a letter, a real letter, still felt more sensible for 'proper' friendship.

I remember AIM, I remember doing random searches for people on ICQ back when it was actually acceptable to just randomly message people who were from your country / city.

I had pen friends in Australia, South Africa, Germany and Iceland (I'm UK).

Those were great, great days when the internet actually was about breaching distance, country boundaries and prejudices.

How it's changed.

Except lawsuits have already started so hold the phone there big boy

Asl pls bby

change.org/p/save-net-neutrality-netneutrality

dont forget the cybersexing
was plenty of that too

and in that great innocent stage of the internets where it would evolve into phone sex because people were oddly comfortable just handing out their number to people they cybersex'd

Oh fuck. The cybersex in an HTML chat room with a five second refresh.

I used to frequent a chatroom called

"Dungeon of the Damned"

Which was as described above, HTML, slow refresh. Busy as hell though. This would've been about 1996.

That's where I learned Cybersex. You could make private rooms, and literally every day, I was cybersexing one of the girls there.

This was also back in the day when a female online was genuinely a female. Men hadn't clicked on to pretending to be girls yet.

I got caught one day by one girl after we went to our private chat and the history from the last session I'd had with another girl was still there.

Whoops!

That chatroom also saw me travel to England to meet a Dominatrix who taught me pretty much everything I know for BDSM. Total headcase, tight body. Didn't end well though.

Thats what Trillian was for.

Real women... keked

good times Sup Forumsrother, good times
miss those days
its just not the same

Real women? Do you even know the internet?

feels bad man

Still on IRC daily. Got it on my phone and computer.

>I was cybersexing one of the girls there.
>one of the girls
>girls
Topkek!

>back in the day when a female online was genuinely a female. Men hadn't clicked on to pretending to be girls yet.
I was tricking pervy old dudes into sending me money orders back in 1996.

I used ICQ back in 1997.

Any ICQ fags here?

-old euro-ICQ fag