Holy shit is it actually Mark Kozelek singing on pic related...

Holy shit is it actually Mark Kozelek singing on pic related? I know it's been 25 years but how the fuck did he go from being a weeb with a high pitched voice to the grumpiest old man in music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4obWMN3zuKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hHLWqqb5--Y
youtube.com/watch?v=BHytn_CWM8k
youtube.com/watch?v=mfF-YK8mwSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8mb1ILIQvdM
youtube.com/watch?v=TLTWr6RSQeg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Everyone you know dying does that to you.

he was pretty grumpy then too

>We translate
>Japanese to English
>And English to Japan
>Ese

He just wanted the Lord to kill the pain

being an unadmired being for that length of time
presumably after-the-fact recognition makes him grumpier yet

he grew old and realized how stale and impersonal the style had become

>but how the fuck did he go from being a weeb with a high pitched voice to the grumpiest old man in music?
He outgrew his virgin slowcore phase and became a chad ramble-core artist.

Anyone else think Lord Kill the Pain sounds Smithsy?

Cute cat.

Yeah, how did he go from making one of the greatest works of music ever to ranting over arpeggios

absolutely, I'd bet Mark was a huge morrissey fanboy back in the day

and I'd bet he resents him now

>I drank so much tea I wrote my letters in Kanji

But seriously, why was he so fucking weeb?

Had the total opposite happen. Knew RHP and after years heard Sun Kill Moon. Couldn't understand why Mark was doing funny voices pretending to be a cowboy

Wow!

24 is best song off the record though, which features Mark's least weeb delivery of lyrics

do you even william carlos williams?
love,
the 28 club

He seems less grumpy on that Jesu collab album.
He seemed at peace and showing he has a sense of humor..

>weeb delivery
?

damn

It's
>We translate Japanese to English, and English to Japan with ease

i dont know but this and the next album he put out were fucking godtier

exactly this
he grew out of romanticizing depression and angst and decided to tool his songwriting style toward introspection and reflection, eventually ditching abstraction outright in favor of sincerity

it's a natural progression with age, but not many musicians have the balls to actually switch it up like that, in fear of losing the fans

>he grew out of romanticizing depression and angst
he never did taht in the first place. he said in a interview majority of that stuff he wrote about is from a happy place

>sincerity
homie have you heard 24, medicine bottle and the title track
i'd argue that you'd probably have to be one depressed son of a bitch to write songs like those; they're utter drainers, energetically and emotionally.

they're intense yes, but mark's work of that time was more like poetry set to music. you can tell it was meticulously pored over and crafted, it's art for art's sake. perhaps "romanticizing depression" is a strong term, but there is certainly some strong romantic approach to emotion going on there

his stuff now is like rattling off leaves from a diary over acoustic guitar. personal, relatable, universal, but far more raw. it's art imitating life, and it tickles the emotions through pointed reference to events, rather than a template emotion displayed over the entire work like with RHP

it's a clear difference in approach that makes sense chronologically

that's fair enough. "raw" is definitely the middle ground i think we were both looking for here, i totally agree. i used to be a huge red house painters junkie but i rarely listen to them these days. shit legitimately makes me lethargic and down.

my favorite rhp songs:
youtube.com/watch?v=4obWMN3zuKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hHLWqqb5--Y
youtube.com/watch?v=BHytn_CWM8k
youtube.com/watch?v=mfF-YK8mwSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8mb1ILIQvdM

>not posting their best song
youtube.com/watch?v=TLTWr6RSQeg

it's not. but it would've been less retarded.

I love that jesu colab, probably one of my favourite records atm