What's the most autistic argument you've ever had about music?

What's the most autistic argument you've ever had about music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oCveByMXd_0
youtu.be/e-ORhEE9VVg
youtube.com/watch?v=8pPvNqOb6RA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That classical is better than any genre of music

Lyrics are irrelevant to music because they don't contribute to the sound-based composition. The vocals do, but the words conveyed are irrelevant and meaningless.

No joke, I have actually seen that argument here before.

ive definitely heard more ridiculous shit than that. even here.

but its true, good lyrics is just a bonus

Every one I've had on this board.

Is there such thing as an argument about music that isn't autistic?

I unironically agree with this. Lyrics are for the musically inept. If you don't listen to instrumental music at least 50% of the time then you are probably a plen.

Kurt Cobain said that lyrics are the least important aspect.

Acknowledging them as a bonus is more sensible than this person. They outright dismissed lyricism wholesale. The words and their meaning, without exception, were devoid of worth.

yup

I agree. It would be very autistic to argue against something so obvious.

Yeah, they can be a bonus. But if you are a lyrics for lyrics sake person then fuck you. If I talk to another fan of Mountain Goats I'm going to punch them in their dumb face. I'd rather listen to City and Colour's stock lyrics and actually good playing than Mountain Goats fumble over themselves any day.

I agree with this mostly, with the exception being if the lyrics are bad enough that they can't be ignored.

In ninth grade, I sent my friend 10 text messages (one after the other) explaining why Pinkerton is the best Weezer album.

>Lyrics are irrelevant to music because they don't contribute to the sound-based composition

Lyrics inform the phonemes that are sung and the order in which they are used, which all have their own sound. So they definitely do contribute to the sound based composition.

>Kurt Cobain said
Who cares?

Was your friend Anthony Fantano?

Playboi Carti proved that this is actually true
youtu.be/oCveByMXd_0

if you think they're "a bonus" then you know they're not irrelevant, and in particular you think good lyrics improve the music

I tune out most lyrics if I don't think they're clever, so no they don't matter 99% of the time

Music isn't art

You know the kind of autistic niggers who spew this kind of shit always happened to be some fucking hipster who never produced or contributed any kind of art regardless of the medium. All they do is to suck the life out of it to stroke his ego.

I don't understand this mindset at all. People obviously listen to and create different music for different reasons and what you'd rather listen to doesnt mean anything about whether or not it makes sense to enjoy it. If lyrics are a focus why shouldn't they be focused on? It should just be a different aspect of the music to enjoy. I can see not giving a shit about it but why do you care if other people do?

/thread

/Sup Forums

Not the same person but I think of it this way: good music can save bad lyrics, but good lyrics can't save bad music.

Oh, that also reminds me that the friend I basically sent an essay to about Pinkerton being the best Weezer album was the crush of the girl I had a crush on in ninth grade (her name was Avery). Anyways, I remember Avery had asked me what kind of music I liked and I unironically sent her a list of 50+ genres/subgenres. She responded with a simple "Oh, I love Britpop!"

:^)

See, you'd think that because you're sane. This dude split hairs to the point where he made distinctions between phonetic informing and vocal intonation. The shifting of one's voice was not the same, or even dictated by phonetic intonation to this person. He treated them as mutually exclusive concepts. There is a reason I'm saying this is the most autistic argument I've ever had with someone. This level of arbitrary division absolutely dumbfounded me. He had lyrics removed from the equation to that degree.

How many deviantart freaks did this episode spawn?

TREMOLO PICKING

QED af

Objectively true

You must have some stupid opinions then :^)

Not an argument but i went to at&t to buy a phone and while the guy was setting it up he asked about what bands i like so i got coy and said "neutral milk hotel". and to my surprise he knew them , because he started mumbling " i love you jesus christ" to himself...awkward

poetry =/= music
they just happen to go really well together

one of my good childhood friends (who i actually theorize might be mildly autistic) once told me that country music and folk music are the same thing

I don't value other people's opinions. I value at least a minimal technical proficiency in my music. If you can't produce good vocal timbre or play with more than simple partial e and a shape chords then fuck you.

Two generations of musicians.

""""musicians""""

>Kurt Cobain said that lyrics are the least important aspect.

well of course he said that, he couldn't write them

Cho-austist vs Grimesfag was the most autistic thing I have ever witnessed

let people enjoy things

>poetry
>good

any autist trying to argue grimes is actually a good artist

I can't stop stupid people from being stupid. But I can make fun of them for it. How can you not graduate own from shit is beyond me?

Donny Darko, is that you?

>le theory meme
you fucks autistified music. music is not a science faggot fuck

Be nice to Grimes

Someone tried to convince me that harsh vocals "contribute nothing to music", whatever the fuck that means

this

what is christie front drive

I always hate when I show somebody an album, they like it, and a week later they tell me again they like it but "every song sounds the same". I just know they must have listened at the most basic surface level, probably in the background while playing videosgames or some dumb shit. Just because an album has a certain direction/style doesn't mean every song sounds the same. I don't usually start a discussion when somebody tells me this because I don't want to be an asshole, especially when they liked the album anyways.

>muh fee fees

I don't ask for much. Just basic knowledge of chords beyond power chords and the ability to play at least single note leads.

With a lot of genres with very limited song structures this is true though. Reggae and Ska all sounds the same for example. The more dynamic a genre the more different songs can sound really.

They sure can ruin a lot of songs that don't need it. That's for sure. Yell/screaming vocalists that don't play another instrument ruin bands.

Cant believe people on this board believe this

Folk is a genre that is pretty much entirely based on lyrics

eno proved this with here come the warm jets next question

>writes lyrics
>thinks they have anything of value to say and that it doesnt just sound stupid

>people who argue that the 1970s or something was a lost golden age and infinitely superior to Justin Bieber/Katy Perry/whatever
>yfw they have no idea how much shitty music actually existed back then
>yfw they also try to act as if Top 40 is all that exists of contemporary music

Anytime that "Friendo" trip posts. It's always convoluted and he tries to sound like he's smart. Thank god he trips tho, filtered him a long time ago.

People who spam the tired, stale myth that Nirvana destroyed hair metal. As if alternative rock wasn't a building wave for several years at that point. No, instead Cobain was one lone supergenius who one day dared to wear flannel and play something other than a power ballad. No, there weren't countless other bands who made it all possible and hair metal by 1990 wasn't already a zombie kept on life support by MTV.

All you need to do is ask dadrockers and lebornintheronggeneration fags if they would have been listening to the Carpenters and Bay City Rollers in 1972.

Nirvana didn't destroy hair metal. They elevated it to an actual respectable art form that wasn't filled with beta males

Or if you want to argue further, the roots of alternative rock can be traced all the way back to Marquee Moon and those other albums that came out during the punk era.

Someone trying to tell me Leaves sounds like Spiderland, or that June of 44 is a ripoff of Slint, or that A Minor Forest is a ripoff of Polvo. Goddamn some stupid fucking people browse this website.

Since the Bay City Rollers put out their first album in 74, I don't think anyone was listening to them in 1972.

A quick browse of the vinyl albums at a thrift store will clue you in as to just how much shit existed back then. Piles and piles of Mitch Miller albums, "A Perry Como Christmas", bland, formulaic pop music, shitty country artists And this stuff way outnumbered the good because it's what normalfags in the 1960s listened to. I mean, Paul Anka sold a lot more music than Jefferson Airplane.

I was on a 1968 binge recently and even among the rock stuff, there was a _lot_ of formulaic, mediocre blues rock. The masterpieces like Sunshine of Your Love were few in number.

You are like little babies.

The 90s equivalent would be Celine Dion albums, which were a lot bigger sellers than anything Nine Inch Nails put out.

When someone tried to argue that Taylor Swift actually had any talent near me.

>folk
>good

>when someone argues that Justin Bieber is some uniquely evil musical entity near me
How was he really different than any other lame teenybopper singer in history?

Today, I will remind them.

Taylor Swift makes better music than Led Zeppelin did.

Compare:

youtu.be/e-ORhEE9VVg
Concise, better hook, better singing, better melodies, clear lyrical development and vocal /melodic layering, fun to sing along with, doesn't take the subject matter too seriously,

youtube.com/watch?v=8pPvNqOb6RA
Long-winded, nonsensical lyrics, melodramatic vocals, cheesy flutes, overly-long buildup laden with boring cymbal rides with an underwhelming payoff, eyeroll-worthy guitar solo.

Taylor Swift > Led Zeppelin

Wait, isn't this post copypaste?

n-no
don't check

funny meme friend, arguing an objectively false and knowingly unpoluar opinion on this ani/mu/ board to troll everyone. Supreme/10

This sounds like something Christgau would write.

>objectively false
Epic. Simply epic.

This is my genuine opinion and not once has someone made a sensical opposition to it.

"powerviolence and crust punk are the same genre"
-user

Post-Rock is not a valid genre. Technically, punk is post-rock. You can't call it post-rock because it often incorporates lyricism, samples and soundscapes that remind vaguely of a post-apocalyptic world, post-punk was a move away from punk while still keeping the edge it had, post-rock is just a label put on cressendo-core bullshit

Again, you are killing me user! I can see why no one would want to argue against someone that obviously possesses great humor and wit as yourself

Rap is music.

Grand post, m'lad. Keep them coming !

Thanks, though i am obviously destined to be bested, i will try to "shake it off" ; ) ; )

niceme.me

A guy I knew once argued that bjork was talented. I gotta say, he was pretty autistic.

A coworker of mine said The Beach Boys are bad, I shut that shit down real quick

To be fair if he's only heard shit like kokomo (and there's far more stuff of theirs in that tier than pet sounds tier) he would have a point

someone once tried to tell me that their taste was good even though it was obviously really bad

My friend insists that electronic or computer generated music isn’t music because anyone can use a computer program and it involves zero skill unlike physical instruments.

All he listens to is dadrock and buttrock.

Whether valve amps or solid-state amps are best based on the low-mid frequency ranges.

>Sup Forums, the board that touts ITAOTS as its messiah
>"lyrics are a bonus"

Americana doesnt count as country music

(c)rapfags genuinely annoy me.

If the lyrics are good enough it can change your understanding of the song most definitely.

Post-rock is more about creating melodies with traditional rock instruments which attempt to avoid typical motifs found in rock music.

It's not exactly about saying "rock is dead," although admittedly that can be a part of it sometimes. The 'post' prefix here is used in the sense that it takes stylistic and compositional features of the genre, rock, but wishes to contort it to such an extent that it's in a way creating new motifs or ignoring them altogether.

>the fact that...

Carpenters made some absolutely gorgeous songs, of course they also made some shit but they definitely deserve respect