How does the internet work?

How does the internet work?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_Open_Internet_Order_2010
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You pay to the magic man and it flows into your house

Unless you're american, you pay to magic man for the same but add some subscription fees.. Such as using Sup Forums

(Net neutrality is over, over there)

It doesn't

not

magic or something

Magnets

Each computer has an IP address assigned to it whether this is IPV4 the standard 4 octet address you're used to seeing or IPV6 which is hexadecimal and much longer. Your router will have your WAN IP address and the devices you connect to your router on craptop phone what ever will have LAN IP addresses. From your router it connects via IP to your ISP's network which has DNS tables to direct your request. So google.com, for instance, is a domain if you ping www.google.com (www. being the sub domain I believe) I get 216.58.201.4 which if you put straight in your browser will bring up google. Effectively this is happening every time you bring up a website without getting even more granular.

Additional pointless information if you want some fun ask someone at best buy to tell you the difference between a hub and a switch and see what shit they make up. Switches are more expensive as they have collision detect built so you don't get dropped packets.

Haruhi a cute

>Net neutrality is over, over there
What????? Since when??? Why haven't I heard of this before????
Gosh, you would've thought something this big would deserve at least 30 threads on every board..

So what's a network? Is it simply a set of connected ips?

Cool thanks user

Dunno, that's why I'm here, wondering the same
nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

Thank you.

What does pinging something mean?

Pretty much! so a WAN address is a wide area network this is how websites send information back to your Routers WAN address which translates it back to your LAN address. LAN Local area network are devices on the other side of your router so your phone laptop etc. a Router is the mediater between the internet and your internal devices.

So the origins of "ping" you can look up it's quite wordy and dull but think of it in these terms when you "ping" something you get a response "pong" for argument's sake. So by pinging google.com we get a response back ping, pong. The response we get is google.coms IP address. You can try it out yourself go to start, type in CMD press enter to bring up Command Prompt just type in "ping google.com" you will get a response back with the IP as the domain name servers translate google.com back into an IP. This is actually how Denial of Service attacks often work just mass spam ping requests to a server to the point where they can't respond.

Amazing, that was never an issue two years ago or decades before that when net neutrality didnt exist yet

Have I just done your homework OP?

Nah. I'm just interested.
And wanted to prove that Sup Forums is more than a pile of trash.

it was an issue, retard. comcast made netflix unusable so their shit streaming service could compete. there was a huge lawsuit. god you are fucking retarded.

Most appreciated man

Glad I could help have a great day/evening fellow user

Lol, they don't have collision detection, retard. they have more than one collision domain, hubs only have one collision domain.

How do you know all this clever user? Are you educated in the field?

My bad :)

Same to you.

I'm not clever at all just worked for an ISP for far too many years.

>How does the internet work?
Its a series of tubes.

with dump trucks driving through

Oh wow, that's especially interesting in light of recent events. You're free to talk some more about your time there if you feel like it, I'm listening.

Net Neutrality did exist then, under different law.

In 2010 it was "FCC Open Internet Order 2010" for example

How do you visualize division? I dont think i ever learned how to properly. Multiplication is easy. Multiplying x by y means taking x, making y rows of the quantity, then adding them all up (so of course it is repeated addition). How do you visualize this with division? Since it undoes multiplication it should be repeated subtraction but it isn't as clear when I try to visualize what's going on.
For instance dividing z by x, would it mean take z, make x rows of it, and subtract x-1 rows? But this doesn't seem like doing the exact opposite of multiplication.

I left a while ago now but the whole net neutrality thing while awful I feel may actually encourage independent ISP's to start up and challenge the monopoly all it will take is a few to start up offer "classic" internet like we have now and they'll make a shit ton of money and force the current big providers to re-think their approach at least I believe this is possible.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_Open_Internet_Order_2010

Not a clue far too stupid to understand any of that :)

>How do you visualize division?
Order a pizza.

And rule from 1980 by FCC
Services such as telegrams and the phone network (officially, the public switched telephone network or PSTN) have been considered common carriers under U.S. law, which means that they have been akin to public utilities and expressly forbidden to give preferential treatment. They have been regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in order to ensure fair pricing and access.

Since people used dial-up internet back then

Yeah, I've also had a few posts fly around on the internet on how to start your own internet service, so that might be worth a look if our future really gets as dark as some predict.

division is just algebra solve for x. 46 divided by 2 is same as 2x = 46 solve for x.

Yeah all these start up's need is billions of dollars of seed capital to build their network and to fight lawsuits to allow them to build the network in the first place, easy!

I'm trying to visualize what's going on, I can follow the rules just fine

k, well it's same to visualize. take 46 and make two piles out of it.

And then take one of the piles, and that's the answer. Okay. But how does this relate to things like rates or conversions?

series of tubes

no u

Not sure why you'd need to fight lawsuits but maybe I don't understand the law I thought it just gave companys the ability to "possibly" carve up the internet piecemeal not that you're forced to but I really don't know enough about it but I feel there's some money to be made here.

Because of shit like this:
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/att-and-comcast-win-lawsuit-they-filed-to-stall-google-fiber-in-nashville/

same with municipal broadband

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/qkvn4x/the-21-laws-states-use-to-crush-broadband-competition

Net Neutrality has always existed, it's the natural law of the internet. The term was just coined this recently. You're either incredibly ignorant of the situation or you're a shill for the dirty indian who ruined it.

The real distinction between the 2 is what layer on the OSI model they operate on

double ccie here

A network doesn't necessarily run IP you dense shit eater

pong is not the same as ping, it measures more than hop count

Some switches run CSMA/CD so they certainly do detect collision detection

I'm pretty thick to be fair, would love to learn more though please explain

Oh my bad I thought it just measured the response time between the ping and pong, what else does it measure I'd love to know more.

I'm not familiar enough with the OSI model as I should be only I know there are 7 layers I think? CCNP so bottom of the rung congrats on CCIE that shits insane you gotta be earning the big $$$

CCNA even been a long time since i sat the exam

pong is a separate application, ping uses ICMP echo and reply, pong measures the delay between switched interfaces on platforms that support it

Thank you :)