If Green Day had split up after American Idiot they'd be in the top 5 greatest bands of all time and because they've...

If Green Day had split up after American Idiot they'd be in the top 5 greatest bands of all time and because they've carried on I'm not even sure they're in the top 100.

Green Day after American Idiot is like Lindsay Lohan after Mean Girls

Yeah. American Idiot was their last great album rest sucks

Yeah, American Idiot is great! I love mid-life crisis core and 40 year old men complaining about the government without any actual commentary on it and bragging about how cool they are.
Their last ok album was Nimrod

American Idiot is actually satire of punk movement and how pathetic and self-destructive it is.

Isn't American Idiot more like a ripoff of Husker Du's Zen Arcade?

Anyways, it's not like a grown man can't write about teen angst.

No offense but everything after nimrod was fucking garbage. I assume you are young because only a younger kid could like anything past those. I was a teen when that hot garbage that came after ninrod came out and any one who liked it got made fun of relentlessly.

>complaining about the government
Only two songs complain about goverment, fuck off.
>any one who liked it got made fun of relentlessly.
I mean, American Idiot was critically acclaimed and made a real smash, it was very close to Dookie in terms of that. And apart from that, by many American Idiot is consider Green Day's last real great record.
If you don't like songs like JoS or Homecoming you're just wrong.

See: Quadrophenia

Holy fuck that's the album with boulevard of broken dreams. Nah that album is cringe as fuck and for edgy little preteens lmao

>Nah that album is cringe as fuck and for edgy little preteens lmao
t. edgier preteen

This
You clearly havent listened to it

What's wrong with 21st century? I think it's a good album.

OP, here. 21CB is a misfire but just barely. Everything they've released after makes 21CB seem better than it is.

Not focused well. Poor execution and over long

>You clearly haven't listened to it
I was like 14 when it came out and was a massive Green Day fanboy beforehand so I listened to it way too much if anything. It made me not like them anymore. Insomniac is far and away their strongest album.

I like it too, just has a lot of duds on it

all of their songs sound the same

If blink 182 had split up after Buddha they wouldn't receive all the hate, in fact they'd be worshipped by pop punk fans who hate on them bc they got mainstream

Chuck Berry?

>Yeah, American Idiot is great! I love mid-life crisis core and 40 year old men complaining about

They were like 32-33 at the time.

>liking Green Day at all
This is an 18+ board.

American Idiot [Reprise, 2004]

If you're wondering what this concept album means, don't labor over the lyric booklet. As Billie Joe knows even if he doesn't come out and say it--he doesn't come out and say lots of obvious stuff--this is a visual culture. So examine the cover. That red grenade in the upraised fist? It's also a heart--a bleeding heart. Which he heaves as if it'll explode, only it won't, because he doesn't have what it takes to pull the pin. The emotional travails of two clueless punks--one passive, one aggressive, both projections of the auteur--stand in for the sociopolitical content that the vague references to Bush, Schwarzenegger, and war (not any special war, just war) are thought to indicate. There's no economics, no race, hardly any compassion. Joe name-checks America as if his hometown of Berkeley was in the middle of it, then name-checks Jesus as if he's never met anyone who's attended church. And to lend his maunderings rock grandeur, he ties them together with devices that sunk under their own weight back when the Who invented them. Sole rhetorical coup: makes being called a "faggot" something to aspire to, which in this terrible time it is. C+

AI was the soundtrack for an entire generation's high school experience, you turd.

wow then I feel sorry for your generation of teens. You were like 5 years old when Green Day were actually good.

You are 23.
I think you can judge a person’s age off which Green Day album’s they tolerate

My sister used to turn the radio off at the "Ah ah, ah ahhhh" thing in BOBD because the song was so overplayed back in 2005 that she eventually couldn't take it anymore. And she used to even like Green Day.

No, American Idiot was where they lost it. I mean, it's truly, truly dreadful - a post-9/11 album from people to the RIGHT of Bush.

I'm 21.

If you were 14 you werent able to appreciate American Idiot

Green Day should have just stopped once the 90s were over and that goes for the Offspring and most of their peers.

Welcome to punk music. Enjoy your stay.

American Idiot?
I think you mean Dookie senpai.

21st Century was like Green Day saying "hey American Idiot was pretty good, let's make it again but slightly worse"

It does have some solid songs on it though

>he thinks Green Day's commercialized mallpunk ditties are punk rock
Really now?

Everyone in my school thought it was gay. Faggy eyeliner cringe shit. Male version of avril lavigne at that point.

ONE 21 GUNNNNS

At least the Offspring never made anything as obnoxious as post-Nimrod Green Day.

I heard this at ten years old and thought it was garbage for little kids. What the fuck is your excuse as an adult ?

not that anyone gives a shit but
OPINION TIME:

39/Smooth was okay, but pretty obviously a debut album. The songwriting wasn't as tight as it would get later but it had some good ones

Kerplunk is underrated and good

Dookie is a classic for a reason

Insomniac is good but has a few forgettable ones like Bab's Uvula Who?

Nimrod was okay but could've been way better if they trimmed it down to 12 tracks

Warning is probably their most underrated album

American Idiot was an interesting twist on their formula and had decent songwriting with some weak ones, Hot Topic-core as fuck and pretty cringy these days

21st Century Breakdown was like American Idiot with weaker songwriting and way too much chaff

The Trilogy was garbage and could've been trimmed down to an okay EP at best

Revolution Radio was a step up from The Trilogy but still pretty weak

agree with everything on here

true, they should have settled with side projects

21st century breakdown was a good copy of american idiot though

>Warning is probably their most underrated album
Disagree with this part. There are some cool tracks on it, but most of the album is cringey as fuck. Minority is the most pathetic song of all time and I'm embarrassed by the fact that I liked it as a teenager.

Warning [Reprise, 2000]

What's going on with Billie Joe is less maturity than the really boring stuff--professionalism, craft, artistic growth. He's abandoning the first person. He's assuming fictional personas. And he's creating for himself the voice of a thinking left-liberal who "want[s] to be the minority" and cautions against caution itself--a voice that scolds rather than whines, a nice age-appropriate shift. Crucially, his knack for simple punk tunes remains unchanged; also crucially, these do fine at moderate tempos, and one even gives off a whiff of Brecht-Weill. There are worse ways to come down off a multiplatinum high--lots of them. A-

here
It's probably nostalgia at work, but I can't help but like it more than most of their other albums. The highest points on that album outweigh the lows for me

I can appreciate that. It's also a pretty decent Autumn-core album and has that college-rock thing going for it.

And then there's this fag.

I loved 21st Century Breakdown. Probably one of their most creative albums to be honest.

I'm genuinely surprised christgau wrote even that much about it.

Who the fuck is Christgau!? Really.. who is he and who the hell does he think he is. Does he even play any instruments? Has he ever even got off his ass and tried to create a song from scratch? I cannot stand most music critics.

He's an educated guy who writes fairly well and usually makes good or at least understandable calls with his reviews

He can really get up his own ass, but that's all music reviewers

I'm more shocked that he gave Warning such a good review, honestly