Honnest question

Honnest question
Is it really worth being a good person

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rr6lsTgZKAQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sometimes, but mostly it is not

Good is relative. Be happy.

I think its worth it, the only thing that genuinely makes me feel accomplished is helping others

to me every time i help someone, push someone not to do something stupid like suicide, and so much other shit , it seem to never get repaid in any kind of way , life just gets worse like honestly i am trying to think of what to look forward in life , and i cannot think of anything really

mind you i dont mean , getting repaid in a material way or anything , just wish that my life gets a little better , just anything

Find happiness in the joy of others, it sounds like you just have depression. Smoke a joint, give a sandwhich to a homeless person, live for yourself by living for others.

Being a good person isn't externally rewarding. But, it does help you have allies, and at the end of the day, the more people on your side, the better. Don't seek glory through it, just take the good feeling of helping others. Being a dick will eventually cloud your head, and you'll begin to resent yourself, which is a dark hole that you can't come back from.

We need more good people in this world.

Obviously yes you pleb

Yes, but not worth it to be kind.

I do find happines in the joy of others , like if any of my friends has something nice that happens to him , i am also happy for him.
Wish i could smoke a joint but this country is shit you cant even get a joint , every time i see a homeless person i swear i feel like complete shit , and if i have anything on me i give them.

Whats the difference ?

Depends on how you see it

If you only care about personal gain, then definitely no, being a good person isnt gonna get you where you wanna be.

I try to be a good person in the hopes other people will join, you know "you gotta start from yourself"

Yeah, I feel that to. If you're a kind person to everyone they start being kind back. My brother's friend who I don't really hang out with have me like an eighth of weed when he was moving pounds of it because he said I was always kind to him. This was on Thursday.

I asked myself this many times :
Are you really a okay person or are you a cunt that does it for material personal gain or whatever.
I guess my answer to my own question always is : If they are not cunts to me or just if they are kinda neutral why not help them , that applies to for example people that you just see everyday in school on work or whatever.If they are cunts to me , why should i help them, i tell myself this but mostly i end up helping them too.

If you have to ask that question then kindness isn't for you.

I know what you mean.

No

Here's a good video about it:

youtu.be/rr6lsTgZKAQ

no, especially not if you are a guy

Yes, I was gifted an apartment by being nice to someone.

I can't answer that. I try so hard to be, but it always either backfires on me, or I wind up getting shit on

Is it being a good person when you expect a reward from it?

no matter how you live, you always die at a net loss. statistically speaking, suicide is the most sane and rational response to existence because there's no chance of being under stress, afraid, having to lose anything, or being undermined in any way.

existing doesnt make sense, and being purposelessly kind is insanity. but hey, since when have i been known to make good decisions?

Don't know , i dont expect a reward , its just alot of times when i try to be good i wish my life gets better , but it either stays the same old shit or gets worse.

depends what kind of existence seems most rewarding to you. if you like to live in an object-based existence where things, accomplishments and status are more valulable to you then people then no. people are just something that get in the way of whatever youre trying to get.

if you live a connection-based existence then friendships and helping others means more to you than obtaining goods or power.

so what do you like most? stuff? or people?

As an old guy I can tell you : YES.
Eventuallly, your honesty, justice, kindness, empathy are rewarded. It's almost never immediate tho.
I am not a believer, no god bullshit in what I say, but I can say that what you do always get back to you later.
People now trust me, respect me, rely on my experience on stuff etc.
Lets be clear: being a good person doesn't mean being naive or a submissive faggot or a cuck.

Good point. I consider muslims evil because they expect a reward like the 72 virgins bullshit for any and all good actions. They don't have empathy, they have an agenda.
I hate muslims. And look that I am a good person.

good sum up.

same could be said about christians who run around acting like unbelievable cunts but then say its okay because jesus died for their sins so they're auto-forgiven.

I don't know,thank you for giving me this perspective i will have to think about it.I wouldnt say its stuff that i value more , but then i havent had that much connection with people either.I am a pretty self contained person , i keep to myself mostly , have a small circle of friends that i could say i trust.Would i say i have at least 1 true friend ? I don't know,maybe yes maybe no.I am raised in a manner to respect most rules .
I guess my default setting for life is :
love your own , but respect others.
I honestly don't know.

Being good makes you feel good.

Is the only real magic that exists.

(Derek)

hahah amatures ... these guys are novice good people ... when you make it to lvl 10 and above life gets really good

-no guilt
-no care about whats happening around you cuase you know your soul is locked to heaven
-money comes easy becuase you dont waste it on sin and you dont hang around bad people
-no babies mommas or daddies because you dont get into relationships with bad people

so heres the key, from going from lvl 1 to lvl 10 good person. You have to understand that its about sacrifice. You dont have to be generous , you dont have to be cucked all the time but you do have to give some things up.

-Give up the all time partying, you know what goes on in that house its just not for you

-Give up the anger, yea that person is an ass but they are also 10x bigger than you, lean to plan your day away from them

-give up the love. Shes a bitch dude, some times being alone is better. So be a good person and just drop the girl/boy friend. Stop trying to fix them. Let them be adulters and you go your own way.

You have to learn to live without, or as the bhudist say "wanting is suffering" , so learn to control your wants, bad people pray on your desires and hang them infont of you like a carrot.

Let your desires go, or learn to understand when your desires might take you down a dark path and its better to put them on hold than just force the situation becuase "Its not right".

You get that under your belt , become a lvl 10 good person and you will have heaven on earth, peace and lulz.

My sisters treated me like shit, I want my family to be together but I dont want to become an angry person. So I decided to just leave them, ignore them. Dont attack, dont be angry , be good be passive. And now they dont treat me like shit becuase I dont talk to them. I have peace.

Lifes good, learn not to try to control everything, only yourself.

Thank you.

either you are 12yo or you understand that shit happens.

problem is , shit happens alot here

I feel like that's every religion though

where?

is that a problem?

that sounds about right. sometimes if i see someone struggling with something like getting something to their car, or a buck short of something in line then I help out.

No real reason, maybe just because Ive been in those jams and remembered how much it sucked when nobody helped, and how much it changed my day when someone did.

take care of your favorites, dont be a dick to the rest. you never know if one of those random strangers might turn out to be a really cool person who somehow ends up being another new friend over time. life works in funny ways.

>same could be said....

NO! Unless you live in the US there are only a handful of these christcunts VS 2 billion muslims willing to slit infidel throats to take over to reach paradise.
Christcunts exist, but fuck, how many of them, really? And are they violent?

that has nothing to do with this thread

There will happen more. But that's not the point. What you do today will generate something later. Maybe incredibly later. But it does. Believe me.

It does.
When you do good to win something later you are not being good.
Muslims (and some christfucks) are not good persons in that sense.

My empathy is totally free, not theirs.

your figures are incorrect

This just sounds like a way to make avoidance sound like a virtue

thank you guys

I don't know how you define "good", but here's how I define it.

I will do what I must to ensure my own safety and well-being, and that of those I care about and those around me.
I will do this in as kind and generous a way as possible.
I will always look for the most mutually beneficial outcome in all situations.

This does not mean I will succumb to guilt trips, emotion manipulation, or threats of any kind. And I will not be afraid to use force - even lethal force - to stop unprovoked attacks on myself, anyone I care about, or even a stranger I deem to be defenseless or at least innocent.

I believe in the inherent value and worth of every single human life, even those of people I may not agree with or even particularly like. This is separate from and regardless of any spiritual belief or lack thereof, on the part of myself or anyone else.

I do my best to not act out of hatred, anger, or ignorance. I do not practice revenge. I strive for justice. I know I will not always be able to accomplish this. I am just as subject to human failings as any other human.

Where there is suffering, I do what I can to ease it. I acknowledge that my methods of easing the suffering of others may differ from those of other people's, and that may lead to conflict.

I will always attempt to deescalate any conflicts in which I may be involved.

That's a whole hell of a lot more than I thought I would write out, but that's my philosophy in a nutshell, more or less.

Is it worth it? If by that you mean, "has it worked out for me since I've adopted it?" then...

Yes.

Positivity generates same, but if you're in a human cesspool thinking "If I'm great to everyone, they'll stop being garbage" you will be disappointed.
Efforts correctly focused often pay off, being your idea of a "good person" & expecting rewards for being a penis (pillar, but in this case it's not genuinely who you are but you expecting to be treated differently by those whom recognize how great your false effort is supposed to make you) of society for perceived gains is doomed to you being a bitch ass faggot.

subjective , you are being good as in "good for your side".

You are helping your side win.

When the Lion catches a gazel its being a good Lion. When a bear eats the head of a fish its being a good bear.

The fish doesnt think the bear is good , but all the other bears , and the bears pups are very happy.

Same with christians and muslims. You might not like them. But they think they are being good , not only that they believe that they are being righteous and sacrificing their time on this planet for a cause they belive in.

You seem to feel that you have obtained judgement of good and bad. You want control, you want the world to be a certain way. You think this way is good others disagree.

Who is right??? You both are right, within your relms. Now its up to you to prove you are more right? That your way is the path to a better world.

Teach the bear and lion to be vegitarians and live in peace with the other animals. What you will have is not a good lion or good bear, but something that is not a lion or a bear at all.

These people are good and christians and muslims, it just so happens you dont think christianity or islam is good. But they dont care what you think , and the bear doesnt want to to be a vegetarian.

Is the correctness of my figures relevant?

Nope.

It depends on what things you believe hold value.

If you are a materialistic, or a shallow person then you will not gain the maximum benefit from being "good".

But if you value things like interpersonal relationships, kindness, love, charity, etc. Then being a "good" person will pay off enormously.

I agree somewhat

But i get what he is saying

If you had a upbringing with a lot of unjustified violence and just unfairness in general

I can understand where he is going with it

I applied a similar strategy and while he is correct about people leaving you alone if you ignore them

You are usually at the point where you been fucked over before that

I am level 10 at this moment

But i am working towards to point where i will be a something people will regret targeting

There are different ways to go about this, mine is to be as law abiding as possible, if you get in conflict with someone its very likely that they are going to do something illegal if they haven't already and there is a justice system that will do the work for you if you just know what buttons to press

people who are troublesome often tend to have legal issues as well

use that to your advantage

>Is it really worth being a good person

It benefits others as well as you and longterm it is a more successful strategy than being exclusively self-interested.

....yes, yes it is.

You are right. Both muslims and myself are considering our very selves righter than the other. I get that.

yet... my empathy continues free. What about theirs?

Religious people have a set of rules that they claim to embody, but it is actually a set of demands for others to follow. It's like saying "Here, follow these rules so I don't have to." It is a desire to create a world where the people alum them adhere to a set of rules so that the religious person can more profitably break them.

Let me ask you this.... Does the world need more people who are successful? Who have more things than others? Or people who are actually useful to society that actually do things for others? Which type of person does the world need?

What do you mean "free"?

>There are different ways to go about this, mine is to be as law abiding as possible, if you get in conflict with someone its very likely that they are going to do something illegal if they haven't already and there is a justice system that will do the work for you if you just know what buttons to press

I applied that very principle - a bit because I am a foreigner in the country I live and they would forgive me much less than a local - and I won all my causes at court. Unavoidable causes, I insist.

correct, and let me tell you its one of the hardest virtues to hold

To have the ability to play god , to control the outcome of a situation but hold back and let the world exists as it wants to. Its humbling.

The desire to instill good on the world is a god complex. Let it go. Stop needing certain things to be a certain way and let them be as they are.

Is avoidance a virtue , maybe not, but control is not a virtue either. Or a least is not a virtue I would call good.

Freedom , free will, is an idea promoted by good people. That freedom takes a different shape in each environment. Whats good in one environment is maybe not in another. Keep things you think are bad out of your life/environment and stay out of theirs. This is peace , this is taking your free will in your hands but at the same time not controlling or hampering others free will.

Its not on the good to win or to defeat evil, we are both to exist. When you stop trying to control the world you can live with it in peace. Im not avoiding problems as much as im accepting my lack of control and lack of need to control them.

You are avoiding the truth, being that good and bad are above you. Good and bad use you for their goals. You dont have a grasp of good becuase you could never embody that witch exists above you.

But the only thing that you really have is free will, your decisions and actions. Weather those things lead to the outcome you wanted is not really up to you. Your idea of goodness is a positive outcome of an action taken but this outcome is not always garunteed nor does it make you a more good or less good person becuase of its success. The only thing good in this vague scenario is that you used your free will, never let that go.

>You have to understand that its about sacrifice

"It stands to reason that where there’s sacrifice, there’s someone collecting sacrificial offerings."

They expect a reward and I don't.

You are on the opposite side, do you really have empathy???

If you empathised you would not be asking this question. If you empathised you would understand. They are not only being good in their eyes, they are doing gods work.

These people sacrifice their time/lives to praise their god, terrorise people against their god and will kill themselves for their cause.

If you are not on their side they are evil , if you are on their side they are saviors.

So I dont feel you empathize at all. You just wouldnt ask this question. Its retorical. You know the answer.

Now who will "win" ... we will see.

I knew it from your first post above. Ben Franklin shit.

Not that I disagree...

But there's just an underlying feeling of weakness in what you say that is a bit disturbing. Precisely that avoidance realm.

I a word I would say "Man up a bit mate". Retribution is good when it's fair, for example. But this would lead me too far so that's it.

yea whats your point? so what if someone makes profit.

Is it not better that if something is going to happen anyways that someone makes profit from it?

I know that this is tongue and cheek. You are describing corruption. And dishonesty is a terrible virus that inhabits all. But dishonesty like a gun is an inanimate object that good and bad can use.

But ur saying is simple minded and doesnt really deal with the complexity of the world. You are right , but you could also say the sky is blue and be just as right. What is your point exactly?

My point is sacrifice is freedom. The man willing to let go is strong than the man that cant. The man that cant is a slave, slave to an idea , a location , a place to himself.

The man that can let go , can sacrifice is more agile, can adapt and survive in more places, is not a slave to any ideals not a slave to another race , his own race, his past or himself. Learn to let go let it be, stop controlling and let yourself to be free. Let your will to be free.

Being empathetic doesn't mean let the evil spread just ... "because".

That bullshit of "If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also." is exactly what is wrong with our western world.
I don't feel empathy for the one that slap over and over and over the defenseless poor guy until there's no head left just because "that's my god's work"

I don't have empathy for evil at work.

You expect to be awarded the title "blameless, morally superior" and the right to be smug towards them.

ha ... well thats like your opinion man.

Dont be distrubed. You have your way I have mine. I will not try to convince you to be like me . I have my free will and you have yours. Im at peace with this. We will see where it takes us. I warn you.

"Man up a bit mate" think about what this means to you , and think about a time where that reaction might not be good for you. Be willing to "Man down a bit mate." ... dont be a slave to your ideals, learn to sacrifice.

Maybe I lean too much towards passivity, maybe I do need to "Man up a bit". I need to be willing to sacrifice an easy life.

But if I do it wont be becuase others dont think Im "man" enough. I have no need to be considered brave , nor do I care if others think Im weak.

dude , i didnt say that.

I did not paraphrase that bible verse at all.
Empathising is undstanding, and your question at the end of your post seemed to me that you just dont understand their position, yet you say you empathize.

So really that was just a critique on your semantics thtas all. Now your position you are stating.

"I dont have empathy for Evil" ... ok cool... Im not telling you to. Take your desires , put them into action and lets the chips fall where they may. I think you have taken a very generic idea and applied it to a context that is so specific there is just no reason to talk about it.

You dont like beheaders, the sky is blue... we are done here right? (dont answer that, its rehtorical)

No, I don't expect anything really. And being like that, I am morally superior. For sure.

Depends on how you view things...being a good person might be self-serving, because we are all selfish in the end.If it makes you feel good, have at it. Just set a limit...being a good person does not mean being dumb. Other people will try to take advantage.

quick example

woman in my office is a mega-bitch. can't stand her fat ugly face, horribly personality to go along with it. want to ask her if I spoke to her in the same snappy voice she uses on everyone else how triggered her fat ass would be.

come several months later, maybe a year, have to go to her for help on something. She's now unhelpful and makes my life difficult because she can. Chose to stay quiet instead and inwardly hate her and come to find out most everyone else I talk to does too. Take small comfort in that.

So yeah, being a good person is generally worth it. Why make life harder on yourself?

Ignorance is not the way to become a good person

Your statement is full of trollpoop, pardon me sir

Talking about selfcontrol when your sisters make you rage like a faggot, so you have to avoid them. do you at least see whats wrong there? you sound like an illusional faggot living in his own dream. But dont worry kind sir, many people like to see the world from their very own perspective

If you are DEPRESSED, get help.

If you are SAD, help others.

It will change your fucking life.
Volunteer somewhere and help strangers. It will instantly lift you up, and let you see shit beyond your little slice of the universe.

you either are or are not. if you have to ask - that means you are not. if you have to choose to be good because of personal gain - well guess what. you are not good at all.

Honest answer. It's impossible to be a good person. What you rather need to do is not be a total shitlord.
How? Completely up to you. Beware anyone who preaches to you and gives you extensive advice, because see above.

Being good is not something that comes naturally to most people. Most will have to make conscious choices to do what we know is right. Understand though that being good is not the same thing as just "not being a dick or a coward". In order to be good, you need to be capable of evil. It's not about being a harmless toothless pussy. It's about being able to bite, but choosing not to.

Only if being good makes you satisfied. It doesn't me, so I do what feels good

Yes. Doing good deeds yields benefits. Being a good person doesn't mean being altruistic and selfless (although you should, really), it just means having good intentions with the respect of others. You can do that and still be self-centered. In the long run, helping and supporting others is very likely to come back and make your life easier. I'm such good friends with people just from helping them over the years that I was able to couch surf for free for two whole years.

No point being a dick. Overrated and hardly any 'easier'.

It sounds like you're delusional or at least embellishing what amounts to cowardice sound more respectable.
That is not playing God. You are not controlling the outcome of anything, you are making it so that people will not know how to structure their time with you because you'll present yourself as a "blameless nothing" and force others to take the initiative, while you sit back and go "Who, me? I don't know what you're getting at. Don't look at me."

You're imagining that you're pulling strings and will have some kind of last laugh in all matters. Most of your time with others will have to consist in finding someone to externalize your self talk rationalizations onto. This will arouse contempt and disrespect from others, they'll see that your talk consists of weakness. You very likely get angry when this carefully selected target (based on the expectation of insecurity, dependency and resultant malleability) doesn't adopt your insecurities and inhibitions. You will then try to make them feel foolish and give warnings, for not living like you and monitor them and get in little jabs like "told ya so" (spoken in private, of course) in response to any bit of friction or setback you observe facing (as if this is avoidable or the end of the world). You will get angry with them if you see them handle with aplomb what would devastate you. Donald Trump has this effect on people. He says things that would mean total ruin for many, but he's resilient and audacious so he gets through it and lands on his feet.

The rest of this is an attempt to obfuscate the concepts of good and evil while hinting that you are nonetheless "good". Absolute sophistry

This. However, don't get discouraged if you do a self-centered deed and hear in response "Wow, and here we thought you were a good person".

Don't maliciously and intentionally hurt others. At the same time, assume that the everyone is a shitbag and can't be trusted. This way you cover your bases yourself, stand firm and tall. Help others if necessary and if it doesn't hurt you. Do not needlessly hate.

At the same time, do not be ashamed of wanting something good for yourself. I see myself as a decent person but at the same time I am very opportunistic and have little to no empathy for others.

Yes....good leads to good. Bad leads to "WWYD" threads.

You expect to be able to cash in on this supposed superiority

Yes, it sincerely is
You have to fight the good fight until everyone else does too. It could take centuries but make sure you're on the right side of history OP.

We're paving the way for future generations.

This. You are not better than anyone else, everyone are shitty in their own special way. Any high moral ground you take is just a crutch used to justify your action or inaction.

Admit you are a dick and don't be a bigger dick to others compared to the average amount of dickness around you.

How can you take comfort in that?

If someone hated you, would you think "They can take comfort in that"?
Or would you go with the "hatred is a double edged sword, hurts you more than it hurts me, I feel sorry for you" rhetorical package?

It's their choice whether they commit suicide, not yours. That's why they're pushing back

are you . god ?

You don't even have a concept of what being a good person is if you expect things from your actions.

I hate the majority of the people ITT. Bunch of mental gymnastics spouted by 13 year olds.

Fuck you, I hate you too. I hope you kill yourself today

I know I'm better than you.

You don't sound like a good person

Agree, but with a caveat. Let's not forget that many of the people from past generations we see as "good" were also fairly well-off, middle class or higher. Self-serving behavior was necessary to achieve and sustain said status.

A good pauper, a barefoot Messiah turning the other cheek and loving the world against all odds is a very romanticised notion and must be approached very carefully.

edgy fam, any more childish bullshit you wanna cry out?

what the fuck is a "good person" and why does it matter?

No edgier than you

A computer

As you wish. I still don't trust you to sit the right way on the toilet, unless i have empirical proof that you are beneficial to me and are worth my time.
>Am I coming over to burn down your house and rape your dog?
Of course not.
>Am I going to whip myself while chanting "mea culpa" and giving away my money to charity?
No, and I have no guilt about it.

That's what makes me decent. I am honest with myself, you, and the rest of the world.