Never bother listening to metallica since you were a kid during the napster years and the memes about their shittiness...

>never bother listening to metallica since you were a kid during the napster years and the memes about their shittiness around that time
>finally get around to listening to the first three albums

holy fuck i was missing out so hard. even justice would be a pretty ok album if the bass mixing wasn't the worst thing in the world. but christ, these first three albums have to be one of the best album runs of any band ever.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dzsRyQDXy5A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They're a band so muddled by image and reputation that it gets in the way of how good those first few albums really are. Objectively they are very good albums that transcend their genre

youtu.be/dzsRyQDXy5A

>best album run of any band ever

>ONE of the best album runs of any band ever
All that LSD screwing with your reading comprehension?

Justice for All > Kill Em All

Ride the Lightning is probably in the top five metal albums ever made.

Creeping Death, Ride the Lightning, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Fade to Black, all classics.

Even the two albums after Master of Puppets are GOAT!

You'll want to avoid anything after The Black Album, though.

This but unironic

Im not even a metalhead but I consider Ride The Lightning to be one of the greatest albums of all time

>You'll want to avoid anything after The Black Album, though.
I bet a really good greatest hits could be made.

How did I never put this together.

Holy shit.

It's the story of how they learned peace was the greatest gift of all, and to forsake their hateful tendencies.

Bravo nolan.

it's been discussed ad nauseam, but what do you guys think metallica would be like if cliff never died?

Good

I doubt all that much would have changed.

whatever i want them to be

Same except Cliff would've branched out to a Holywood film career.

Hard to say exactly, but obviously the bass parts would have been much better. I would bet Justice would have turned out much the same but without the shitty mixing and absence of bass which would have been amazing. I imagine the black album would have also happened much the way it did and then they would have gone on to experiment further into the 90s. I'd like to think had Cliff been around during the Load years that there would have been more interesting experimentation though and that the album would have been even more diverse and interesting, but with better results.

I don't get the retards who think if only Cliff hadn't died, all of their later career bullshit wouldn't have happened. Do you really think they were going to keep putting out thrash masterpieces for the next 20 years and riding unicorns?

Master of Puppets [Elektra, 1986]

I feel at a generational disadvantage with this music, not because my weary bones can't take its power and speed, but because I was born too early to have had my dendrites rewired by progressive radio. The momentum of this band can be impressive and as with most fast metal (as well as some sludge metal), they seem to have acceptable political motivations--antiwar, anticonformity, even anticoke. Fine. Problem is, the revolutionary heroes I envision aren't male chauvinists too naive to know better, they're not Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan the Barbarian--all flowing hair and huge pecs. That's the image Metallica calls up, and I feel no more obligated to summon their strength of my own free will than I would the 1812 Overture's. B-

...And Justice For All [Elektra, 1988]

Problem isn't that it's more self-aware than Puppets, which is inevitable when your stock in trade is compositions rather than songs. Problem is that it's also longer than Puppets, which is inevitable when your stock in trade is compositions rather than songs. Just ask Yes. C+

Metallica [Elektra, 1991] *bomb*

Load [Elektra, 1996]

The good thing about being old is that I'm neither wired to like metal nor tempted to fake it. Just as I suspected, these Johnny-come-latelies-meet-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss-es can no more do grunge than they can double ledger bookkeeping. Grunge simply isn't their meter. So regardless of what riff neatniks think, this is just a metal album with the songs shortened and the tempos slowed, which is good because it concentrates their chops and tightens their songwriting, and bad because it also means more singing, which they can't. C+

>master of puppets: it's pretty good but they sound like they look too macho

>and justice for all: it's all compositions and not songs!

>black album: they wrote catchy radio songs this time and it's shit

Fuck this guy

Master of puppets is my favourite, the best produced and all great songs

>black album: they wrote catchy radio songs this time and it's shit
Strange, that's exactly the same reaction metalfags had back then.

>DSotM
>The Wall
>Good
no