What are you supposed to do when you realize the world and everything in it isn't real...

What are you supposed to do when you realize the world and everything in it isn't real? I'm having an existential crisis of sorts.

just go along for the ride

You stop smoking jazz cigarettes and do something valuable with your time.

the experiences you have are real. treat it as a virtual reality adventure

Well...
I've been getting in and out existential breakdowns for probably 3 years. What helped me might not help you, but atleast I'll share.
Find atleast one (or maybe optimally don't rly know) passion and chase that. Focuse all your time on that one thing. Literally. Only other things you should be doing is eat, sleep, basic hygiene etc... If you cant waste all your time on that one thing, find other that might atleast slightlly push you that way (reading, working out, meditating). Just don't let yourself think about it. Also a great book is Demons by F. M. Dostoevsky

who defines what is valuable?

I guess. Thanks for the help.

First let's define what "is" is.

I guess it's a state being. It a world we equate with truth. The problem with that is that in a society like ours which is based off of abstract concepts such as laws, property and money, we are the ones that decide was "is" and what "isn't". What's crazier is that we all accepted it after we crawled out of the womb without questioning WHY anything is what it is.

I found SSRIs to be invaluable.

Alright there Bill.

My family calls out but I neglect to hear. They trouble me by reaching into this dream, attempting to pull me out with their antics. I can hear them screaming, their roars fracturing the horizon with fractals of lightning.

I know they are worried sick of my absence but this dream is more of a reality than mine ever was

Stamp on a lego block barefoot and tell me this world isn't fucking real.

Try Anarchism. Read some Proudhon and then help smash the state

Oh so after all im not the only one... im not the special cookie. Well this doesnt feel as bad now!

I like to think that im alone in this world, and that everyone else is just an "NPC"

kill ajit pai

damn dawg

Go to a highway, stand in front of an oncoming 18-wheeler, then ask yourself later if it's real or not.

Shut the fuck up edge lord. You're not on the verge of greatness. You're not prolific. Just shut up. No one cares, nothing matters.

Nothing. An hero and post results.

You're still trapped. That's fine, just don't tell me I didn't warn you.

>What are you supposed to do when you realize the world and everything in it isn't real?
You are not supposed to realize this in the first place. What the fuck do you expect you are "supposed to do" about it?
Use your brain for a sec.

>What are you supposed to do when you realize the world and everything in it isn't real?

Drugs and alcohol, mostly. With some random heterosexual intercourse thrown into the mix.

You're nothing more than a reduction of something bigger than yourself. Energy is neither created nor destroyed. The particles that came together to constitute you were there at the beginning of all things and will be here long after you have ceased to be. There really isn't an answer to the nature of our existence. We just exist.

This is something that I have come to realize. You ever think of the fact that billions of years from now, the molecules that make up me and the molecules that make up you could be bonded into a new life form entirely?

That is the nature of existence. Everything is part of the same whole. People are so caught up in all these petty human contrived notions of what constitutes their world meanwhile there are billions of light-years of space expanding all around us. We're just the fruit in the jello bro. We are so utterly insignificant on the grand scale of the universe that nothing we do will leave any lasting impact on anything. But at the same time our existence can't be ignored. We are the voice of the universe attempting to feel it's way through the turbulent nature of causality. Consciousness is just a small piece of someth greater and when we finally cease to maintain a physical form we simply return to the ether of creation to add our experience to the cosmos.

go on, im listening

fuck I'm in the same position, been escaping reality through drinking to live a happy life, I'm fucked and going to hell but looking for advice

why does anything have to be real

God damn this thread reminds me how much being 16 sucked.

Just trust in the socratic method. It took me months of constantly, day after day, trying to question my existence before I was able to finally see the veil that they have us under. Certain books such as Fahrenheit 451/Slaughterhouse 5 seem so much more brilliant and real to me now. Everything makes sense. My mind is free. I get it now.

Is it that being 16 sucked or that you gave up and settled as you got older? What makes the philosophical implications of extensionalism any less valid than your decision to buy in to what society has fed you?

Bro, I was like you not too long ago. Anytime someone said something out of the ordinary, I would dismiss them as edgy. I'm not telling you that you have to break away, I'm just telling you to look around if you want to find the truth.

If it's not real, have fun with it! Just think, you can run around killing, raping, stealing, and no harm, no foul. Nothing matters because none of it is real! Oh wait, I forgot...

I fail to see the point...

Look bro, jerk off if that's what you wanna do, it's just gross to do it in the presence of other people.

That's obvious. Maybe you need to be more enlightened™

You take a part of yourself and seperate from it. Play the game but most importantly live your life outside of it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Society won't change in our lifetime (I doubt it), so all you can do is make sure you don't get sucked in. Play the game, get rich and help others gain happiness as well.

Im afraid Ive been starting to see the world in a different light lately as well, becoming more and more dismissive of the default perspective everybody seems to have and seeing things at a much larger scale.The only problem is that the more I see reality the way it is, the more distance I feel between myself and other people, even my best friends. Im starting to feel more lonely. The more connected i feel to reality the more disconnected i feel to the world as weve made it to be as a society.
I hope i wont reach the point that the only one who understands me is myself. Thats the point youll just be crazy, you just dont see it anymore.

I had those fears to, but what I realized is that we're not alone. Look through history. People like Ray Bradbury, George Orwell, Henry David Thoreau—they've been saying this shit long before any of us have. We're not alone. Bro, I'm telling you, go watch The Matrix with a whole new perspective in mind.

This

Hi OP. You're going to die one day. And the opportunities you have today will be gone. Remember that.

>THE WORLD ISN'T REAL WHAT DO I DO

Separate it into various degrees of unreality then.
Can you fly? No.
Cool, you've discovered something that's physically impossible to do

I like this but I think our consciousness is a lot more important then we think. We are created from the universe therefore our consciousness is the universe being self aware. Unfortunately like you stated people's minds are clogged up with shit and for a reason and that tells me there is something very important about our conscious mind.

What if it's not impossible to do?
Astral projection, and floating through meditation are both documented

Not to mention the power of imagination, and creating realities in your own mind

With or without wealth you can just spread the positive energy to your fellow man. We are in desperate need for a common spiritual unity as a species.

This fucked me up. The universe created us and we are the universe's way of experiencing itself.

>What if it's not impossible to do?

>Astral projection, and floating through meditation are both documented.

Yeah, that's "separating it into various degrees of unreality"

So, if you can't lift off the ground at this moment, being constrained by whatever forces are binding you to the ground, you can say they're real.
If you can only fly while astral projecting, then you can distinguish between behaviors and the mind's relation to physical reality.
So now reality doesn't devolve into this magical soup of nonexistence, otherwise "separate" objects would exist, and interact with one another in predictable ways.

You're not alone. Sometimes I find people to talk to about this kind of stuff, when I'm not busy destroying my relationships.

The thing I can't stand anymore is hearing frightened people scream their insecurities and denial at me. Pic related.

Flying with only your physical body in the physical reality is impossible. Sorry.

He's a better example, perceiving higher dimensions. You will never do it. You're a flatlander saying silly little flatlander things thinking any of it matters, when in reality it's all quite obvious and you come off as euphoric.

neildagrasstyson2013.mov

Put on some concrete shoes and explore the ocean.

Go to the local zoo and release the animals.

Honestly, it's like I'm "unplugged", but I still falsely associate success with money and fame despite the fact I know I shouldn't. Capitalism is all I've ever known. I'm brainwashed, but I'm trying.

Tyson is a climate change hack. Not a quantum physicist

If nothing is real then it wouldn't matter you fucking dingus.

I didn't realize you had to be a quantum physicist to realize humans exist inside the universe. Damn. I really need to watch some more Rick & Morty so I can activate those almonds.

Yes. Look for a book called the self aware universe if you're interested in getting deeper into it. But it's so true though right?

I didn't say that nothing is real. I said that our world isn't.

Will do.

Social constructions exist. Woahhhh maaaan that's so deep.
*puts on grateful dead* *smells my own fart

Hey man. I live in that monopoly game too. I'm always chasing park place but at the end of the day I learned to not let it consume my every thought. The more I let go the less I need to do. It sounds fucked but keeping your head in a positive state of mind not stressing shit allows the good karma to keep you functioning in this fucked up mess we call reality. Just always give yourself time to spend in nature, appreciate the beautiful things in it. Plant some trees or bushes. Make a garden. Hang out in the woods. Feel the energy from the trees. They're just as much alive as you are.

what about demiurge and archons ?

That's neat. Same consequences if you aren't real though. Your distinction is meaningless.

It’s good to be aware. You can cross into living in your head though. Psychosis is possible. Ignorance can be bliss. And keep you from loosing it mentally. I wish that I never had the “free time” to figure all this out. Now I’m faced with going back into the “don’t think. do as you’re told life.”

Except nothing IS real, that's precisely why our world is.

2trippy4u

Real is based on our perception, but perception isn't reality.

Well, ain't that a bitch. Maybe I'll become a monk so I don't have to worry about getting hauled off to the loony bin.

Ignore the angsty edgemasters. Existential crises are real. There is no meaning to find. Must look for contentment through purely psychological self reflection. The inner world of the mind is all there is.

You are misconstruing my statements here. Who's Rick and Morty? Tyson is a paid science shill. He has no soul. Quantum physics allowed be to find spirituality without organized religion and all its lies. I can die knowing where I came from and where I'm going. I don't have to wait till after to find out. You probably don't realize how entangled every molecule in your body is with every molecule in the universe. You're just a projection of consciousness inside a reality of a few dimensions within a limitless probability of instability in its most organized form.

Perception doesn't exist.

Perception does exist when the ego decides to filter out too much. It's real but it's a falsehood of our wrongful thought patterns

Right. It seems real to us because we have only seen things from our own perspective. But, in the same way that a tree can't contemplate consciousness, I have to believe that there is something more to the universe that we'll just never be able to understand in our current forms.

>You can never be unaware

I don't like where this is going.

Spirituality in quantum physics? Jesus Christ.
You have no idea where you came from or where you're going, and you're not going to know when you die. More than likely you won't ever find out. And it literally doesn't matter. You could die with shit for brains and it wouldn't make any difference.
>You probably don't realize how entangled every molecule in your body is with every molecule in the universe. You're just a projection of consciousness inside a reality of a few dimensions within a limitless probability of instability in its most organized form.
God those farts smell good, huh?

Just think of us as the universe experiencing itself in conscious form and in 3 dimensions. We are so much apart of it yet everyone is completely detached from it. The trees are experiencing a different reality and point of view. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's not the same spirit. It did come from the same thing you did. Don't let your ego make it less than what it is. This is how we fall into this mindset of blindness.

That was literally how I found God

Wow. I feel badly for you. If you even understood and ounce of the quantum realm. You would be acting so surprised. You calling out to who? Jesus? Why? Seriously go school yourself on the implications of the quantum world. Matter and reality is not what you think it is. Have you not been reading? Do you not understand the implications of wave function collapse? Observer interference? How about the way an electron will just appear in its new location and not actually physically move to it. Have your fun buddy, the trap threads will still be here for you. Ask yourself though. Why did you feel so triggered by what I said? Not the reality you are so comfortable with or do you think I'm completely full of shit. Either way, your blindness and ignorance doesn't matter to me. I already know how the masses are brainwashed and asleep. So...nighty night friend.

Fewer drugs, for a start.

gr8 b8 m8 8/8
Either that or you actually have shit for brains.
Could go either way.

Sounds like you're the one having the existential crisis. Calm down kid. What happened? They cancel your favorite cartoon? You sound like you're 12 years old
>no you won't
>no you're not
>no you can't

Nothing in your head to debate about? Listen kid, when you grow up you will learn things and be able to talk about more adult stuff with other adults like a big boy. You spewing nothing but child retorts. That's fucking really sad to look at.

I remember getting high as a 16 year old, too. I just never felt the need to suck my own dick in front of other people like you two. Maybe one day I'll be more euphoric.

Still trying huh?

Aw, come on, man, tell me more about how enlightened™ you are. I need to know all about the spirituality of physics.

Seriously, you ok? Need to talk about something? I mean you're just not trolling. There is something terribly wrong eating at you. Something with your parents. Your dad maybe. Try me. I'm not fucking with you.

I don't think the word euphoric is what you're looking for.

I'm just dying to see you swallow your own load, intellectually of course. Please, continue.

It definitely is.

No man really. What's giving you the hard time?

You hitting the brakes on the fart train. Keep it going brother. The world needs to know.

>Concerns for people who've never confronted reality.

Totally serious man. Open up. I'm very concerned about your reaction to my statements. Clearly something has driven you to this point of complete shut down. Your responses have nothing in them. Your inability to even try to debate is a red flag for distress. I understand this is Sup Forums and Sup Forums. All walks of life come through here and I think something you can tell me will help. Please, enlighten me.

Didn't you do this bit already? Hit me with something new. You're on the edge of reality, right? Should be child's play for you.

Don't change the subject here. This is an anonymous board. There's no embarrassment here. Open up about yourself and I will gladly answer with as much spiritual response you desire. I will bury myself in it. But you need to let go and just tell me what it is in your life right now that's stressing you out. It's all anonymous here. No shame, no embarrassment, no one will ever know or care. Tell me. Try it. Nothing to be fearful of.

4th time's a charm, huh? It was novel the first two times, but four? Man, you should really brush up on your quantum physics some more.

All you can do is live on because nothing really matters

It's not about physics. It's about why you're unable to let go of whatever angers you. I'm sitting right here waiting. All kidding aside.

I'm disaffected, I just like mocking deepity.