Okay so I need to get this off my chest and maybe get an answer...

Okay so I need to get this off my chest and maybe get an answer. This probably isn't the best place to try to get an answer, but whatever. Longtime lurker (I started around that time the ugly girl's dad was all 'you dun goofed), but never posted. Don't even know how to green text.

This has been bothering me for the better part of 15 years though.

So my brother and I, ages 9 and 11, were pretty close. I was the smarter and more athletic one, and he was just sort of a good guy but not the brightest crayon in the box. He was my best friend though.

Once a month, my mom took us to this church for some sort of woman's meeting. They would each bring food and sit around and talk about things. Homemakers or something, whatever that means. It was always later in the day, and it happened in this big church. It was the type of church that had balconies and high ceilings and elaborate stained glass. My brother and I hated sitting around and listening to 'old' women talk about stuff, so we would always go downstairs to where there were a bunch of rooms. It was fun because there were several rooms where there were all sorts of toys. We came from a poor family, so an excess of toys was rare. There were those carpets with roads on them, toy cars, legos, stuffed animals. All sorts of things. I assume it was for some sort of daycare.

I am guessing to conserve electricity, the lights down the hallway were shut off, because they would never turn on. It was the sort of thing where we could say that we were going to explore it next time as sort of like a bravery thing, but when it came time to face that long hallway with all of the rooms, we just couldn't do it. We could see about 5 rooms down, but then the hallway just got black and scary.

The last time I went there, we were determined to do it. We didn't have flashlights, but for Christmas a few years before, we got these flashlights that didn't use batteries. They were hand-pumped for when the power went out.

(cont)

Bump

Bumparoo

This better be gud OP

Hurry up I gotta go to bed like 10 minutes ago.

The hand-pumped flashlights made an awful racket, and they really didn't do that well at providing light, but it was all that my brother and I could really scrape together.

So we get to the church for my mom's monthly meeting, and we dutifully endure the "Oh your boys are growing so fast!" and the cheek pinches. As soon as we are clear of that, we bolt out of there before one of the old women drag us into some boring story.

We play with the normal toys for a bit, but it is obvious that we are just going through the motions before we get our courage up. Finally, we both decide that it is time to explore. We get out our noisy little hand-pump flashlights, and we start down the hall, not even in the dark part yet. It was that giddy feeling where you are on an adventure, but you sort of feel like what you are doing is something you shouldn't be doing. We get to the first door that is in that hazy area where it isn't dark but not really light either, and we start exploring. It must have been for the older sunday school kids, because it was pretty boring. No toys, nothing fun. We move on to the next few rooms, and they are rather anticlimactic. A conference room, a bible study room, boring rooms like that. We were really hoping to find a room with a TV. This was before Playstations, so anything along those lines wasn't even a consideration.

It was really sort of a let down. Even with our dinky little flashlights, we could tell that the rooms were boring. No boundless toys or anything fun. There were still a lot of rooms left though, so we continued down the hallway. That is when things started to mess with me though.

It was that feeling where you know that something isn't right. Like you are being watched or the temperature is off, just something is amiss.

(cont)

Bumparino
Op if you fuck this up ill saw your cock off

Bump for still having interest.
Op take it from me as someone who greentexts.
Pre write this shit BEFORE you start the thread.

I started voicing my concerns. Like maybe we should turn back. We have explored enough. Really we were only a few rooms down the hallway from the lighted part though, but it was a weird sort of darkness where even though there were lights on at the start of the hallway, it was just like they didn't reach this far. My instincts were really getting to me. I don't think it was me being a scaredy cat either, because I was pretty brave. Sort of had to be where I grew up. My brother was also getting scared, but since he was older, he had to put on the brave face. I think it was also that all his life, he was compared to me...the smart one. The athletic one. The teachers adored me, but he made Ds and Cs in elementary school. So this was his chance to show me up, and even though he was obviously scared to, he said he was going on.

And so I followed him, behind him, down this hallway. There was this line though. Not an actual line, but we came to this place in the hallway where my body was screaming at me to not go any farther. I grabbed his shoulder and told him not to go farther and that we should go back. Like my body was on pins and needles now. The hair on my neck was sending those waves of shivers down my body.

I pointed my flashlight at the floor, because something just wasn't right. The floor looked sort of decayed, which was out of the question for a church like this, and the smell had a hint of that putrid smell of decay.

Both of us were standing at this imaginary line, and it was like we knew that crossing this line was something that could not be changed (That isn't the word I want, I am trying to think of the word, but it isn't coming to me)

(cont)

Sorry, I just couldn't sleep tonight because it was on my mind. I wasn't thinking of pre-writing, I just needed to get it off of my mind and get opinions

the loch ness monster wanted a buck fitty

Gat dam loch ness musta went cheap on gou. Always charged me about tree fiddy.

Bumperino

I decided to stub up and told my brother that I wasn't going any farther. I might have sounded whiney or like a chicken, but I told him straight up that we shouldn't pass this point. I tried to pull him back, because I was going to turn around and go back to where it was light. He shook my hand off and turned to face me and said that he was going to continue on. I think it was a rite of passage for him. Finally one-upping me.

I was almost in tears by this point. I didn't actually have tears, but there was this fear that was clawing at me, and my jaw was starting to hurt from the stress. I didn't want to leave him, but I had to get out. I headed back, turned away from him, and sort of speed-walked back to the light part of the hallway. I looked back over my shoulder and saw his dinky flashlight start bouncing into the dark with that awful racket of hand-pumping it.

My instincts were screaming at me, and it was the oddest feeling. They were telling me to go into the bathroom where there was a mirror. I have no idea how to describe this feeling, because it was so specific. It was more than the fight or flight feeling though, it was telling me that I had to get to the bathroom and look into the mirror as soon as I could. Speed walking wasn't fast enough, so I sprinted the rest of the way (which was only about 50 feet maybe) until I got to the bathroom and stood in front of the mirror. I just stood there.

Now this is what fucked with me. I sprinted to this bathroom, and as I was looking over my shoulder, I saw my brother continuing into the dark side of the hallway, but in les than 10 seconds after I got into the bathroom and was looking directly into the mirror, my brother came to the bathroom. He held the door before it even closed. Now I was the athletic one between us, and I know that I could sprint way faster than he could, and he didn't even look out of breath. Something was just...odd about him though.

(cont)

Bump

Bumpity

Bippity Bump

Is this Stranger Things fan fiction?

It was like seeing someone that you recognize, but the personality is just different, and that changes things. He had this charisma/arrogance that is just not part of his nature.

He said something like "Well why did you run..." but when he opened the door, he made a grimace like he was shielding his eyes and stepped back from the door. He kept the door open, but he kept out of view except for a hint of a hand or side. The whole time I was seeing this, I was looking into the mirror. My instincts were telling me to not look away from the mirror no matter what and to keep the doorway in view. So I did. I stood there for an hour just looking at the mirror, and he kept trying to coax me out of the bathroom, but stayed out of view.

I know that the meeting upstairs was over and the women were leaving. My mom called down for us to get up there and leave, but I didn't leave the bathroom.

It wasn't until she came down the stairs and came to get me personally that I finally, and reluctantly, left the bathroom and the mirror. As we walked, I kept an eye on my brother, and he just had like this knowing smirk. It was so different from the brother I knew. I also noticed that he didn't have his flashlight with him either.

The ride back home, I kept my visor down with one of those mirrors on it, because that just felt like my safety line.

After that night, I have never considered him my brother. He just was so different from my memory, and when I would on chance get a look at him in the mirror, he would make a gesture like he was shielding himself, even if he wasn't looking at the mirror.

Almost immediately afterwards, he became incredibly successful. His grades went to straight As, he did really well in sports, and in high school he got a girlfriend that was way out of our leagues.

He has since gotten married, no kids, and we have this sort of professional relationship at family reunions.

(cont)

daaaamn, this is some spooky stuff user. Sounds like your brother was possessed by some sort of greedy spirit.

He even made me best man at his wedding, but it was more of like a charade where I pretended to be the loving brother with nothing but accolades to say about him, and he pretended to be my best buddy.

To this day though, there is not a single mirror in his house, except for the one his wife uses which is in another bathroom that is only her bathroom. His bathroom doesn't have a mirror, no artsy mirror things, nothing like that. Even the mirrors in his car are always just off angle.

So this is what has been on my mind ever since then. What the hell happened? Am I just overly paranoid? Was it just a coincidence? Did I perceive things incorrectly?

Or did something beyond my reasoning take place?

Also, I don't think it is at all connected to the story, but I have stopped being successful. My grades plummeted, it took 7 years to finish college, even with a degree, I make $16 an hour. I am still athletic though. I don't think it is related though, I think it is just being a bit of a fuck up.

post the rest op, don't leave us hanging.

bump

No, you're not paranoid. Evil spirits are known to linger around churches and holy places. I'd put my money on your brother being possessed/influenced by some dark entity.

Goosebumps season 2 episode 5
Was a good episode glad you retold it

Made my skin crawl reading it right before bed, why don't you ask your brother what happened that day? The worst that can happen is you find out he's an evil spirit.

I don't believe in spirits or things like that though.

What I really want answers on are the mirrors. Like how did I know about the mirrors? Because I really think that saved me that night. The amount of fear I felt then was just so overwhelming.

You should definitely repost this on /x/

That's a good idea. Op, you'll get a lot more answers from /x/ then you will here

I have Tommy already... Why wouldn't you come play with us, Andrew? The fun has yet to start.

He's not Andrew, I'm Andrew. Stupid faggot.

sure