Sup Sup Forums. What exactly is “the thousand yard stare?” Pic related

Sup Sup Forums. What exactly is “the thousand yard stare?” Pic related

There are times when I do something similar, but I’ve never seen war or any kind of combat like that. Sometimes I just space out thinking about assorted topics, or re living memories I have wheather they be positive or negative. I noticed I do it a bit more often when I’m feeling depressed.

not sure, but I've had an experience like yours and I wonder if that's the term we have. I'd stand there with my mind very light headed and just think about things in my past

Bamping

good question, also ahd that shit

Fucking autists
>t.fag who doesn’t use google

shell shock

No idea what you’re saying retard

From what ive read and seen theres just this normal looking stare and then theres this fucking joker lookin smiling face and its obvious they were not prepared for the stress and their mind is somehow gone now

There is a difference between spacing out and a thousand yard stare. This is the answer to extreme life threatening siutautions...

There is no such stare. It's just something they bring up in war pictures to make them more interesting.

How would you describe this, then?
>An exhausted U.S. Marine, John Martin Harty, exhibits the thousand-yard stare after two days of constant fighting at the Battle of Eniwetok, February 1944.

this

He just looks tired as hell, in my opinion.

Step one: ignore retarded apes such as Step two: It's a post effect of being shellshocked.
The trauma creates detachment and emotional void born post an overwhelming experience during combat.

No, it's not the same as spacing out.

imagine being in a war zone, seeing a bunch of fucked up shit and boom. your mind basically shuts down so you dont go private pyle.

I mean, even if there was such a stare, what the hell would be so impressive about it?

I've read a few posts in this thread and everyone seems to be posting descriptions around 1 word.

Dissociation

Does this 1 word describe the thousand yard stare?

Another example with this soldier. After a 72h fight in Afghanistan, 2008.

i promise you don't have the thousand yard stare.

you'll see it sometimes after a person goes through something particularly traumatic, but more often than not, its repeated exposure to high stress situations where a person's survival is anything but guaranteed.

imagine just being worn down to the point by so much shock, trauma, horror, and just suck of it all.

you sort of just detach from everything. its probably an evolved response to extreme trauma and stress
right now though? you're just an autistic faggot.

The thousand-yard-stare is a meme by pacifists: I have experienced it myself, you get that look already without fighting, it's just exhaustion. These guys have not seen too much but too little. Sleep and R&R.

no. it's more than just simple dissociation.

How?

Sure. I'll bet he's seen a lot of combat over there.

>he thinks ptsd doesn’t exist
>he thinks intense mental trama doesn’t exist
>You can find pictures and footage of soldiers flipping shit and crying, and literally sucking their thumbs and holding eachther after intense combat.

The symptoms of ptsd and like like really started to get official documentation in World world 2. “Rock happy”, “cracking up,” and “going asiatic.” Just like there is a physical limit, there is s mental limit too.

Step one: ignore regarded apes like (You)
When you look like them you went down a deep hole, the first time for maybe days when you don't need to be focused and thous lack adrenaline. They are down for the day and need to catch rest

You have to separate PTSD from the thousand yard stare: because many guys get PTSD years after combat when that stare mostly is just a sign of exhaustion

Maybe extreme disassociation. As in, you've lost all touch, and you've shut down. Your body is just there, but you aren't. Staring, reacting, but not acting. Too much adrenaline, too much shock, too much trauma.

I don't imagine anyone who is in the stare even knows that they are doing it.

I can't be sure if you know how stress or adrenaline works, regarding the human body. Going down a deep hole that wires you to be on edge perpetually implies the opposite of taking a load off.

Those men probably can't even sleep despite the battle between their anxiety and fatigued mind.

Oh he is absolutely fucking shellshocked. Pinprick pupils, relaxed muscles around the ocular region, inhibited flight/fight response. You'd see that sorta thing from artillery barrage survivors in WW1. They'd have Smilin' Jacks, i.e. that same relaxed looked and tight pupils and faces pulled up into a rictus smile. There's only so many times you can do that shit in succession until your nerves burn out.

Never seen it in person but here's a WW2 example

respond to this post or your mother will die in her sleep tonight

GET

its seeing beyond, theres a quote from a marine from that Vietnam movie full metal jacket, the marine describes how he can see thru the bushes n shit,, its from starring out into the jungle long enuf to notice subtle differences

>you can faintly see the tear coming out and dripping down his right side. Poor soul.

The most of these guys show no emotion, or just look really tired. But how come in this guy, and You can see some level of emotion vs just a blank stare.