Why do Americans on Sup Forums pretend to not care about soccer...

Why do Americans on Sup Forums pretend to not care about soccer? I'm watching the Portland game now and the stadium is full and they have a rather nice athmosphere (better than the French or English leagues)

Other urls found in this thread:

worldsoccertalk.com/podcasts/mls-can-improve-tv-ratings-without-promotionrelegation-world-soccer-talk-podcast/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The U.S. is a big country, and very heterogeneous. Yes, there are areas like Portland and SoCal where soccer is taken seriously. The majority of the population does not care much about pro soccer, though.

And, more importantly, the best athletes in the country only play soccer casually at a young age. There is not yet a strong youth soccer movement in the U.S.

That being said, all of this is changing, slowly but consistently.

Because we don't, the only people that like the mls are hipsters. The MLS is a disgrace to all sports. None of us pay real attention to soccer. It's always going to be seen as a pussy 3rd rate sport in America

t. American on vacation

fpbp

/thread

Only two groups of people care about soccer in the US
1. Latinos, and they only care about Liga MX and bandwagoning Barca/Real
2. Coastal numale hipsters who only watch soccer so they can pretend to be European

>the mls
>The MLS

there are plenty of American that like soccer here, pretty much everyone in my friend group watches our local team, the anti-MLS and anti-soccer crowd are just the most vocal, dont misinterpret the average flyover idiot that screams "sawker is for fags" or euroboos that claim MLS is a dead league, the sport and the league are making great headway... people seem to expect that one year soccer is just going to explode and take over here, thats never going to happen aside from a World Cup win, like said, there is a slow change that is happening and every year there are more soccer and MLS fans

not even close to true, the majority of the fans are 20-40 year old Americans or the offspring of immigrants, you've clearly never been to an MLS game because you'd know that the majority of fans are white if you had

wanna know how I can tell you live in an irrelevant flyover state?

after attending a NE Rev game I can attest to that.

>people like something different than me
>theyre numale hipsters

as if being an Internet dwelling degenerate on a mongolian finger painting board is any better

MLS crowds are fucking gay. Seriously fucking gay. Gay as fuck. Homo-fucking-sex. Balls touching with eye contact.

>ywn be an honest guatemalan immigrant who just wants to watch some live footy and have to sit next to pasty IT workers with multiple scarves who sing off the Official Team Chant List

MLS total attendance was 7m last year, the majority of which are probably repeats. I love soccer, but most people genuinely don't even know what's going on with it.

>hongcouver vs portland
literally 2 of the most numale hipster "clubs" in the >league

here in Houston we have a huge infestation of hispanics yet soccer is b tier garbage. I was going through the channels earlier today and the dynamo stadium looked empty as shit. Areas care about soccer but here people still love the Texans and Astros above b tier sport.

Cut off that playoff and conference bullshit and then I might start giving a fuck.

This isn't the NBA.

Have a normal, straightforward league and a cup open to every team in America, amateur, professional, high school and university, similar to the Emperor's Cup.

>what is the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup

>I might start giving a f
Why would we cater to you?
MLS playoffs are GOAT

>MLS playoffs are GOAT

This.

So your league wouldn't be niche bullshit forever?

I don't know, you people just don't give a crud...

We have no relegation, pro/rel just isn't viable in our country yet (plz let's not start this argument), without relegation and without playoffs there would be nothing for most of the league to play for in the last ~third of the season

>MLS should be less niche by catering to the tastes of some slav peasant from a country nobody has ever heard of

pls watch >our league

Canada has a league?

>Have a normal, straightforward league and a cup open to every team in America, amateur, professional, high school and university, similar to the Emperor's Cup.
We do have that

Your "sports journalists" dream for the day, when an MLS team would win the World Cup.

You have no other choice but to cater to me.

YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT FRENCH LEAGUE YOU FUCKER.

I love football, but MLS most definitely does not have a superior atmosphere than Selhurst Park or the Velodrome. That being said, all bigtime US sports media outlets avoid broadcasting football because you just can't generate the same as revenue that you can in MLB or NFL where they take a ten minute break every 30 seconds. The US is a business, not a country.

Ad revenue*

>I'm watching the Portland game now and
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

>Portland
>America

the show portlandia is not an exaggeration, they really are insufferable faggots

and anyway they hate america, which is why they pretend to care about fucking soccer

for the rest of us soccer is the shit you played when you were like 7 years old and had teammates with faggy names like "connor" and "tanner"

divegrass fans in america don't post on Sup Forums, you'll probably find them on Sup Forums or Sup Forums or something

>caring about the "atmosphere" of sports

this really is a faggot generation

What did you mean by this?

>he's never been to a shit stadium/arena or game

You're not very smart are you?

that's the whiniest gayest shit ever, imagine some north korean nigga coming over here and seeing you go waaaahhhhh the atmosphere is all wrong

Someone hasn't heard of man city before

>some north korean nigga

A black North Korean citizen would be something to see, regardless of the circumstances
>this asshole may as well be a bot

>>>/paul/

You really only need 50,000 people at most to fill a stadium like those. 50,000 is not very large percent of a large city, and tickets are cheap. Soccer is getting more popular, but it's still not wrong to say that Americans are largely apathetic.

>immigrants and weirdos watch minor league divegrass
>"heh Americans DO care about soccer"
Nobody cares and nobody ever will. We play real sports on this continent.

Pretty much this, but I'm pretty sure OP is baiting, I recall seeing a thread a few days ago that questioned the interest Americans have with soccer

>Sports literally no one else in the whole world plays
>Real sports

For someone who complains about other people complaining, you sure do complain alot.

>A black North Korean citizen would be something to see, regardless of the circumstances

oh god you're more insufferable than i thought

this is why i don't browse Sup Forums

We don't care about it.

I always find it funny when people who want soccer so bad to happen here cite the MLS's "tremendous growth" as some kind of evidence that soccer is on the rise here.

See pic. MLS average attendance is roughly the same as it was in 1994. Sure, there's been a little growth from the mid-00s, but nothing eye-popping.

And MLS cup ratings have been in a freefall aside from an uptick last year.

worldsoccertalk.com/podcasts/mls-can-improve-tv-ratings-without-promotionrelegation-world-soccer-talk-podcast/

>I bet the EPL, etc just kills it!

Nope. Around 300-500k average. Pro Bowling level.

The only soccer that is somewhat are: Men's and Women's National team ratings during the World Cup (watched out patriotism or curiosity. Nothing more. Those teams don't draw flies outside of the WC) and LigaMX, the Mexican soccer league.

So like we always say. It's the Mexicans who primarily watch soccer here.

>cater to me
>hungarian posting about american soccer league structure on an american message board in english
loved you in Hostel btw

The image board and the language aren't yours you stupid shit. ENGLISH

>american soccer league
>american message board
>in english
can't ever read it you twat

>he thinks hockey isn't played in Europe
See you at the Winter Olympics.
Oh wait.

>those people are outdoors

There's your answer.

>le atmosphere is banners and flares and all manners of gay shit being flaunted around

just go and watch the game, chant some shit and call it a day you tryhard

apart from Finland no one really cares here

>implying people go to Revs games