Would you like to have a musical career?

Would you like to have a musical career?

Why haven't you started yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/22HGMUf7GWo
soundcloud.com/organ_drums_duo/fazed
soundcloud.com/organ_drums_duo/hugo
soundcloud.com/organ_drums_duo/hope_rooster_hope-live
www58.zippyshare.com/v/Eaw7HMGX/file.html
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I CAN'T DO ANYTHING

You won't be able to do anything if you don't learn.

Ive been since i was 12

I KNOW THAT
I am stuck between wanting to learn and the knowledge I am not constant enough to do anything that requires something I do not already know how to do.

Still cant play good enough to

I have but sadly shit has stagnated since our frontman is out of town finishing his last year of university until May.
I've been emailing indie labels as well to get feedback but sadly I've had no responses so far.

Just do it user

Yeah. Thanks

I've made 5 albums. It's a really great outlet for making shitty feelings into shitty songs and it makes you feel productive which helps with the roaring void. Tbh the market is so over saturated the chance of being noticed is depressingly low but the feeling you get when finishing a song or showing a buddy is nice :) even if you can tell they are just listening to be nice

Do it. It takes time so dont waste it
Shit excuse

Because in our shitty third world country only folksy love songs and turbofolk/dancehall is an actual viable musical career to not have to work a job alongside making music.

Boy I'm still trying tho.

If its good people wil llisten

I completely agree, this is more of why it isn't an actual career and more of a hobby in most cases.

I have friends with almost millions of views and they still make peanuts.

been tying to get a band together for years but drummers are hard to find in scotland.

last year i made an ep on my computer, then i made an album which got featured on front page on new and notable on bandcamp next to burial. some of the tracks from that got some radio play on some college stations, got about 4000 steams of the album, 100 paid downloads, 12 people in japan bought it blah blah blah.

sent it out to loads of labels but heard fuck all back. put out another ep a while back but that did nothing, prepping for another album currently.

any advice?

what country?

One of the ex-yu ones.

Don't really care much for a "career" in music, but I enjoy making music very much!

Using music as a career is always how your creativity dies

Learn marketing skills.

If you're serious about making this a living you have to treat yourself as a small business owner. Plan out revenue streams, promotional materials and brand image.

If this sounds boring and hard, fine, music is always a cool hobby to have anyway - just don't expect to go anywhere.

But if you want to be successful just dig under the surface of other bands and you'll see the cogs that turn and manage to churn out money.

youtu.be/22HGMUf7GWo

What does user think of this? Asking for a friend. Thanks.

muh muh alternative music career
post your music and i'll judge it, friend :)

feels like church

Working on making my stuff sound good
Working on finding a cohesive, unique, and interesting style but that'll come along as I do my shit

I'm not even sure if there are vocals because they seem so quiet compared to the music

nah I think that having a music career is impossible these days unless you're going for mainstream. Especially in non-first world countries
t. another exyu

What kind of church? Predominantly black holy rollin’ celebration or boring baptist service.

The sound guy couldn’t get my mic up any higher. Trust me I was giving him the death eye throughout the jam

We pick it up a minute into it. Head banging 5 minutes into it

Nah, music careers are ridiculously unstable. That being said, a side project isn't a bad idea and even better if you make a little cash.

Because I have no talent, no motivation and I'm too lazy

Yes and no. I guess it depends on how you gauge success? I've got a bandcamp label with a bunch of releases including my own that have done pretty alrightly.

I play "classical" guitar (I own an electric too, but I play more brazilian music on my nylon string) but I'm a terrible composer (I know theory). Plus I wouldn't want to go through the stress of finding gigs, I have no patience to teach, I have no musician friends, etc.
I prefer to just play alone to myself.

I have a few projects on my mind, but I'm too lazy to go on with them

What is the point of trying to learn any instrument/vocal training at 20+? Everyone else in the business has been playing since the age of 6 thanks to their parents, why should you believe that you are better than them?

I figured but don't you have any better recordings?

>tfw you can only sing but can't play any instruments so i have no way of ever getting anywhere because all i can sing are covers of songs which have instrumentals

well if you want to make a career past the age of 20 it's extremely hard. But if you just want to learn it as a hobby/for fun, there's nothing wrong with that

Wrong attitude to begin with. 2nd, don’t lose touch with reality and be honest with yourself. The best musicians harshest critics are themselves. I started piano/organ at 23 and only got 6 years in. I go watch a James Booker or Jon Lord video on YouTube I don’t sit there and say god dammit why can’t I do it like that. Put 20 years into any instrument no matter your age you’re gonna be pretty fucking good. 3rd - Playing by ear and getting good at that will get you farther than you think, and by yourself time on learning music. Get the various basic chord structures down, I started with memorizing the blues chord structure and it opened up everything up for me. 4th and most important - Find your inner autist and obsess over it.

>Find your inner autist and obsess over it.
I think this is the only way to succeed at something in life. I'm trying to do that and I can't find anything I care for that much and it always makes me feel bad about myself

you can learn an instrument, produce eletronic music or join a band

I did started drums and practiced for a year before depression and shit feelings made me lose my drive. I hope I can get back behind a kit soon though, despite my lack of free time since I started on my new job.

Anyone here tried more than one instrument and pulling a James Murphy-on-early-LCD thing?

soundcloud.com/organ_drums_duo/fazed
soundcloud.com/organ_drums_duo/hugo
soundcloud.com/organ_drums_duo/hope_rooster_hope-live

Because i can't even complete a signle musical task i gave myself.

Seem like a Donnie downer. Snap out of it.

>Started learning music production in 2012
>Managed to work through depression until 2015, when it started getting so bad that I can barely watch a tutorial
>next year it gets way worse, and 2017 manages to go even further
>I'm up to the point where I can barely function
>I eat half the time, sleep randomly, and almost never shower or brush teeth (I've showered 3 times in 2017 and I smell like a gypsy)
>I keep trying to convince myself to be productive and start working, but I end up spending my days trying to find escapism to distract myself from suicidal and homicidal thoughts
>I've been technically making music for five years, and all I have to show for it is a level I'd have reached in two with normal dedication

The worst thing is that everyone tells me I'm talented and that I should just work to build experience and to smooth my rough edges, and it makes me feel like if I had been normal I'd be somewhere now (not mainstage famous, but at least living an acceptable life).

Wat do?

what the fuck man
i dunno, you have to meet people i guess. can't do anything alone no matter how good you are

>try singing
>fail
>have a mental breakdown
>give up
that's why.

Need to find a place to live first, then save up money for quality recording gear

We seem to share a soul

Dude I can barely make myself eat. I'll never manage to collaborate with someone without fixing the basic problems first.

Keep coming up with excuses man, that'll surely make things better. Just think this: if you need something you have to work for it, it doesn't matter how good people think you are unless they are willing to pay for it

I don't want a musical career. I can play flute which is pretty cool though

I agree.

I'm not finding excuses. I know I'm a weak piece of shit, and that my music isn't good enough because I haven't worked on it enough.
I'm just saying that I'm having trouble getting to work on it in the first place so it can become actually good and not "there's something there but you'll have to work on it" good.

I say this because I used to be like you and wasted time feeling sorry for myself, hopefully I was smart enough to get my shit together in time to start a career in art, the real world is full of people who fail, I hope you're not one of those

music careers are dead unless you follow the Lil Uzi prototype.

Focus on having a good time and doing whatever you want. You probably won't make any money but most great artists won't either.

Take those shitty feelings and put them into your music. Other people out there will be able to relate to it better than you probably think.

I'm glad it worked for you man.
I just don't know where to start.
I feel completely hopeless and that everything is pointless. My brain doesn't even register the possibility of good things happening to me, so it's like I'm workin for nothing because ultimately they'll yield no result, so why work if nothing is ever going to improve?
Except my logical brain knows that there's a chance of things improving, but my depression is too strong and it overrides it.

Do you have any advice on how to gain some willpower and start grinding?
How did you get out of that mindset?

I do when I manage to make some.

maybe it's not healthy but I began to get angry instead of getting sad, I was jealous of people who were younger than me and had far much talent but began to see life as a competition and I didn't want to lose. I was really angry all the time and forced myself to work even when I didn't really felt like it because I'm not only going to be good, I'm going to be the best and I want to be better than everybody else

Ah damn.
I'm also angry all the time (almost never sad) at myself and at the external causes that gave me depression in the first place.
I was never really jelous of people who are better than me, because that's how it's always been for me. It's just normal to me to see everyone else being and having better than me. I'm just happy for them.
I can't really push myself to compete against someone to surpass them if my brain keeps telling me it will never happen, so I don't think your approach will work for me.

I'm glad it worked for you though. How long ago was it? Was it a sudden realization or was it a slow change? Did you have relapses or once you switched it was for good?

Sort yourself out. Go to sleep at the same time every day, wake up at the same time every day. The second you wake up eat a large breakfast, high in protein and fat, low on carbohydrates. You can't function on toast and froot loops. Force yourself to eat, its not about what you want, its about what you need. Take a god damn shower right now. Clean your room. After you do all of these things consistently pat yourself on the back, you've done the bare minimum to be a functioning human being. After you meet that criteria start an exercise routine and start working on your music production. When you do those two consistently you can pat yourself on the back again, you are now an exceptional human being. You're the only person that can fix your shit, and you can only fix it if you start right now.

You're right. That's really good advice.
In fact, I've already tried all those things and failed miserably in part because of lack of willpower, and in part because of my situation that gave me depression in the first place.
I don't want to go into details, but I have a set of problems (with the myriad of consequences) I can't solve because they don't depend on me or my decisions, which make doing most of those impossible to any acceptable degree.
The only thing I can do is to somehow summon the willpower to work without aking changes to my life (because I literally can't), so that the result of my work can help me make those changes in the future.
The problem is, I have no idea how, and after reading a lot of stuff, and watching a lot of videos (Peterson's lectures included), I have yet to find a way other than "suck it up and do it", which is apparently too hard for me, and it's getting harder by the day.

I am actually bill stevenson from the descendents and black flag, and yes, I browse Sup Forums

how does one start making noisy ambient music
this is a genuine question if anyone has tips I'll take em

I don't have enough friends to make a punk rock band, my only way to go is singer-songwriter acoustic guitar shit

same

Learn the basic principles of music production so you know how to apply them to get the result you want. In this case, noisy ambient music.

You should learn to use a DAW (I suggest Ableton, but any of the major ones is good) by watching YouTube tutorials, then read "Dance Music Manual" by Rick Snoman, which will teach you how music production works.
After that it's all refinement (check the /prod/ OP if you want to delve deeper into the individual aspects), but learning the basics of a DAW and reading that book should get you started.

Once you know "how to produce", it's all about stylistic choices to make one genre instead of another, and you'll be able to emulate whatever music you want (in a lower quality obviously, until you get better).

let's collab

You can find the book here:
www58.zippyshare.com/v/Eaw7HMGX/file.html

I suggest you read the others in the folder as well, if you want to get better at composition, but if you're only interested in noisy ambient, it might not be that important.

Also if you want to start learning Ableton, watch this:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9ASr8n5idArGa1uaBExM-lI-nO1P959

Its all about momentum man. Just focus on making tomorrow a tiny bit better than today. Just fix one tiny thing every day. After a year of behavior like that your life will be dramatically improved by an order of magnitudes, you just have to reach that point in small increments. Just start by taking a shower. Just make today .0001% better than yesterday.

y'all know that some of the most energetic bands in the last 10 years have been duos, right?
lightning bolt
wizard rifle
dfa 1979
japandroids

go for it

Eh, I'll try.
Thank you very much.

>homicidal thoughts
wew lad

>I've showered 3 times in 2017 and I smell like a gypsy
You've showered three times in NINE MONTHS? Christ I feel horrible if I go more than twelve hours without a shower, get yourself together my man.

Got a song of mine featured on my labels compilation album today. Also got an EP in the works too.

Good bit of advice: throw your shit at the wall until something sticks.

I'm young, just turned 18
I'm about to start learning drums then plan on getting some hardware and an organ and recording stuff, hopefully finding other people to create with in the meantime.
I'm just scared of being stuck in the parents house with a mind-numbing day job trying to finance a career in music that won't go anywhere, having the freedom to leave and seriously devote all my energy toward it would be nice but isn't realistic.
Planning on trying to earn a bit of money through sculpture and /diy/ stuff to.

>showered 3 times in 9 months

what in tarnation

I'd suggest investing in some small, relatively cheap hardware and taking it at your own pace rather than getting into a DAW.
Far more productive and easier to get into in my opinion.

I'm still practicing my guitar. I don't feel confident in my abilities yet.

It was the same for me, but after a while you get
(kinda but not completely) used to it.
I do notice how I feel much better after showering, and each time I convince myself to do it more often, but I always end up procrastinating.
I don't really notice how it makes me feel, since there are other things that eclipse that.

It also helps that I'm as sedentary as it gets, and that I never ever leave the house, so I don't sweat too much.

T H E R A P I S T + S H O W E R

Would probably go if I could afford it.

Oh right, American
my condolences

Get up RIGHT NOW and go take a shower
literally RIGHT NOW
I was depressed to shit a while back and taking showers aways helped
do it user

I'm not American.

I don't have the mental, nor the physical strength to do it, considering my health is completely shit, I'm extremely sedentary, sleep deprived, and malnourished.
I have to prepare at least a day in advance by sleeping and eating a lot, and if I do something even just slightly physically demanding (like taking a shit) I'll be tired for the rest of the day and won't be able to take a shower without the risk of passing out.

Any advice is appreciated by the way.

I like this
Your friend is a great drummer and you're a great pianist, too
good job, user

hey dudes which instrument should I learn

complete beginner btw and I would just like to know how to play something

keyboard seems fun but it also seems hard

What music do you like or want to make?
How rich/poor are you?

sounds like me except i shower cause my hemmoroid pain gets so bad.

I wasn't a virtuoso who started at 3.
And I write in dead styles.

something poppy lol, I dont really know since I dont really know how different kinds of music is played
And im a poor student but im willing to pay somewhere around 200 bucks

Keyboard then. You can use one that attaches to the computer and make all sorts of sounds with it (real instruments included).

Sorry to hear that user.
Hope you get better.

I'm a poorfag that can't afford instruments.

You can use a DAW. You only need a computer and some earbuds. It won't be optimal but it's good enough for the 1st 90%. When you're a good enough musician and need the last 10% of oomph, you can start thinking about buying equipment.
Alzo you can get a cheap midi controller, which goes a long way. Especially in the beginning.

tfw too unintelligent to understand music theory

Use that to your advantage. Make a one man experimental acapella project.

I had a chance to jam with a talented singer/pianist that has toured the world and we joked about me being her new tour guitarist, truth is I was not confident enough. At least that has inspired me to get better.

Link