So.... what is it Sup Forums?

So.... what is it Sup Forums?

Gif. Jif is Peanut Butter.

There's a bit of a debate on whether .gif is pronounced with a hard G like girl, or with a J like Giraffe.

yiff

Kill yourself

I'll be back in a giffy, OP

English is retarded. Why can't you have a separate letter for every consonant like real languages, instead of single letters sharing multiple sounds?

Obviously it’s fucking giff, anyone who says otherwise is an absolute spastic and should be burned alive

Giff

G in gif stands for graphic.

It is absolutely "gif".

The guy who "created" the acronym doesn't get to decide how English works.

The idea that it's "jif" comes from pure Cracked-level knowitallism. People that say it's "jif" want it to be "jif" because it's a piece of trivia that the format's creator wanted it to be pronounced that way. The creator has no authority over how people pronounce it.

It's literally just "gift" without the "t" on the end.

"The creator has no authority over how people pronounce it"
>I however, have all of that authority

The inventor of. gif says it's pronounced 'jiff', so yeah.

>would post sources, but it thinks it's spam, so Google it

the creator is an idiot. If he wanted it pronounced as jiff he should have ended the extension in .jif

Jizz

Yes. Because I'm talkign about how English fucking works instead of my autistic demand against both linguistic precedent and colloquial use.

>the english language, however has all of that authority
FITY

So if my name is Giovanni, which is supposed to pronounced with a soft g, people can fuck up my name and say it with a hard g and still be right? That is fucking ridiculous.

Graphic Imaging format.
But did anyone realize that the title of the shitty movie "The Santa Clause" with tim allen is a shitty pun? The Santa CLAUSE (a particular and separate article, stipulation, or proviso in a treaty, bill, or contract.) it's referring to the clause that made him Santa. I hate it more now.

Right, because I definitely said all of that shit about an ancient Italian name and not a newly-coined American English acronym.

You're a fucking retard.

Gee Aye Eff

Jeff

G because graphics

Vast majority say it with a hard g, to the point where Oxford English Dictionary BTFO'd the original creator of the file format, who insists that it's jiff.

it's graphics not jraphics
fucking low iq morons why is this even a debate

Gif

Because we use an alphabet not a syllabary, and languages with syllabaries have notoriously complex orthography. Perhaps if our language wasn't descended from the Semitic tribe that invented the alphabetic system using Egyptian hieroglyphs then protogermanic languages would have used something other than runes and your wish would have come true, but is that REALLY what you want? Runes rock.

Since graphics, it should be giff.
But- it doesn't sound "cool"

How do you pronounce gigantic?

Easy answer is Giff, because the J sound in Jiff is an affricate we took from French relatively recently and I'm not giving the word Gif to the fucking French.

except the g stands for graphic

yeah fuck the french

I call it a "motion picture."

It is pronounced "Graphic Image Format" because it is an acronym you fucking walnuts.

Top kek

the creator is a dumbass, makes an acronym, first word is graphical, insists the game is soft. what a fag

If this is true a G like "go" is correct in spite of what the creator says. Graphic, gif, hard g.

Graphics interchange format
Not
Giraffics interchange format

howtoreallypronouncegif dot com

Why do you discuss useless things like this? Its official that its a hard g, you retards.

well even though german is very explicit, we also have some variants of a letter. the letter r, can be "soft" and hard as well. Different pronounciation of a letter is very common among many languages.

I guess that mean that you pronounce it, 'G'iant not giant
'G'iraffe not giraffe
'G'irate not girate

but the acronym acts as a word in itself, therefore, making it a soft G

>'G'yrate not gyrate
Fixed.

Kansas vs Arkansas

/thread

Neither. Attached is how it is pronounced.

yep, english is a pseudo-language without its own writing method, they had to adopt the roman alphabet to their own barbaric language

i believe the correct pronunciation is "jyeiph"

just make it like the chinese and have 7 million letters

niggers

>having to spell gif wrong to get the point across.

There's your answer, Sup Forums.

No, because gift. Give. gills.

This guy fucks.

There's actually only roughly 45-55,000. On top of that you only really need to know 3,000 to read the majority of stuff in the language anyway.

Talk to the native Americans on that one.

who fucking cares lmao

Graphics Interchange Format
"GIFF"

what are you even doing here then you fucking peanut

hard g is awkward, use j sound

/thread

Were you deez nuts who got 9% of the public vote for US presidency?