Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums
I would like you to answer a rather philosophical question.

How exactly do you know if you are experiencing Actual Reality or if you are actually dreaming?

What IS Reality?

Assuming you are the only one who is Real, how do you know everyone and/or everything else is?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditations_on_First_Philosophy
thelucidguide.com/single-post/Powerful-Lucid-Dreaming-Tips
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In all likelyhood we're living in a simulation. But it's irrelevant, it's real to us.

you don't, but it doesen't matter. I mean you've been living in it up untill now. Does the notion that you live in an artificial reality change anything?
btw if you actually were wondering how to figure out if you're dreaming just check your clock twice in a short period

Depends on the perspective.

Your Reality is formed by the things you see, smell and taste, For you everything your sensory perception is reality. For others theres. So the concept of "Reality" depends highly on the consumer. (Consumer might not be a bad word in this case)

You don't. That's literally philosophy 101. In society, people usually give each other the benefit of the doubt when someone claims "I am real"

My actions directly impact others. If I get in my car and crash into another car, that person will need to bring their car to an auto body shop for repairs. If I kill them, their family will hold a funeral for them. All of this happens without me knowing about it. Therefore it's not my "dream" anymore. It's actually happening.

Rene Descartes went into detail on this in his Mediations

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditations_on_First_Philosophy

if you do not know about it, then how do you know it actually happens?

Pinch your nose.

thelucidguide.com/single-post/Powerful-Lucid-Dreaming-Tips

how do you know that it's happening? have you ever seen it, when you haven't seen it?

This If a bear shits in the woods and no one is around to see it, did it happen? Solipsism is a very basic philosophy. All you know is you is your existence, everything else (i.e. the effects of your actions) are up for debate

The philosophical answer is: It doesn't matter.

It's possible, but the question doesn't matter.
Why would you try less hard at life just because of the meager possibility that it's a simulation? And if it was a simulation, why would life be less meaningless than it already is?

You do not experience reality. You are part of reality, whatever reality may be.

That what you perceive is not reality. It is your internal representation of it, limited, filtered and shaped by your woefully inadequate senses and pre-conceived ideas.

Theoretical physicists have pretty much disproved the "computer simulation" shit

If i can fly and shoot fire out of my hands to incinerate my enemies, i figure i'm dreaming. If i am explaining to yet another retard how post dated billing works i must be awake and at work.

What about things we all know happened? I have specific memories of 9/11 just like you do. I don't know what your memories are, just like you don't know mine. But we both experienced it.

Also, if there is a person who doubts his own existence, then there must be a doubter by definition. That verifies the legitimacy/verificability of your own emotions and memories. From there, you can induce with that a world where only you exist wouldn't make much sense.

Philosophical garbage the universe is real and you don't matter at all.

If we are living in a simulation then all bets are off. Literally anything can be part of he simulation. That includes our basic assumptions about reality and our framework of logic, science and math that we use to prove anything.

Basically it means the simulation hypothesis cannot be disproven. That however also means the whole idea is not science and puts it on par with the idea of god.