So what would happen if cut out the middle part of a sound wave similar to pic related...

So what would happen if cut out the middle part of a sound wave similar to pic related. What sound would it make and could it be produced through a guitar pedal?

In the last thread I was asked to clarify what I meant. I'd say what I'm looking for is closest to this post Where I am trying to clip everything inside the red line and have it go to the edges. What I visualize is where once it is mid way between two caps of the wave, it will jump down to the below the red line or vice versa. I've also edited the image a bit to try to demonstrate this although it is crudely drawn.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ktexc52i
clyp.it/wveakvtq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So something like this?

I mean you'd basically get a bunch of clipping, since you're going directly from xdB to 0. The only way I know to do this without getting clipping galore is to use a gate

it would sound more like a square wave
dunno what the harmonics look like off the top of my head

I did the closest thing to that that I could in audacity. It sounds like a regular sine wave with a slight buzz to it.

clyp.it/ktexc52i

These are close but, and I'm not sure if I illustrated this well, it should be discontinuous somewhere between the caps.

(Not in a mean way) I dont think you understand waves :(

I'm not too knowledgable on it, the though behind this was a mixture of late night epiphany and knowledge from Calculus about discontinuities in functions. So I guess if a jump discontinuity doesn't work on a wave I guess the ones that have been shown work as an alternative

thats not how it works

*quick 5 minute read up* so a wave can't have nodes with 2 different values then?

Signals always have a value because they're represented in time, the value can be zero but they can't just be undefined in some regions like a discontinuous function. Even square wave transitions have a finite ramp time IRL because discontinuity violates causality

Well I know they can't not exist at certain points, which is why I said jump discontinuity (pic related)

You can approximate jump discontinuities but they're not real. There's always risetime/falltime and overshoot, etc

>posts retarded idea
>owns guitar pedal
this explains everything

I'm fairly certain you can get what you're after with crossover distortion mixed with a positive/negative pulse in the nonzero regions

A wave can't have a straight line up like that. that would mean it's got multiple values at the same position on the x axis

>the constructive interference of literally infinitely many frequencies
it will sound as if shit
are you happy now?

OP here, this isn't mine, I know you can't have 2 y values equal an x

I understand the first part but can you explain a bit more on what's going on in the second?

>GOD TIER
SINE WAVE
>GOOD TIER
NOISE WAVE
TRIANGLE WAVE
>BAD TIER
SAW WAVE
NO WAVE
>SHIT TIER
SQUARE WAVE
OTHER DIRECTION SAW WAVE

Probably something like this
clyp.it/wveakvtq

I took a sinewave, played around with a LFO, adjusted it to 200 cycles a sec and with a hardcut and it came out like this.

you have a square, congratulations on your genious OP