gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

naaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

no
its a copy

No lol

Stealing is literally in the definition of piracy op you faggot

I imagine stealing would have to result in a loss of profit, etc. Personally, I don't think somebody who would never pay for X album but still wants to hear it and downloads it, is a thief.

That's literally the definition of thief retard

It's more like counterfeiting.

>I have a literally unlimited amount of bikes outside
>oh no someone stole one :^(

No, its copyright infringement

>I imagine stealing would have to result in a loss of profit
you might want to restudy grade school definitions. how you feel doesn't change words, feminist

Then it doesn't matter, does it, idiot?

>still stealing
kek. Try rationalizing harder, nigger.

>calls other user an idiot
>forgot the thread topic after four minutes
found another nigger

Well they've done some studies and people who pirate actually tend to go buy the things they like after having pirated them.
It's like they sample a product in order to find out if it is worth buying.
I'm sure some people only pirate to steal stuff, but many people who pirate actually buy the things they liked afterwards.

>a nigger would use bikes as an example

Nah. It's just a bit o' good, ol' fashioned, harmless, swashbuckling fun!

Is piracy stealing? Yes.
Is downloading shit stealing? Arguable.

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy

If you are white no its perfectly acceptable, if you are black then no you are nigging.

>pi·ra·cy

ˈpīrəsē/

noun

the practice of attacking and robbing ships at sea.

synonyms:freebooting,robbery at sea;

archaicbuccaneering

"piracy on the high seas"

Yes.
So theft is "stealing", in most areas, robbery is theft with physical force, piracy if theft, with physical force(robbery), in an ocean.

No, except if they pirate my work.

No it's copying. Like if you see someone with a shirt with a good looking design on it, and then you make your own shirt with that design, you didn't steal that person's shirt.

>Is piracy stealing?

Jews need money. All of it.

Depends on what context, in the "yo Ho ho fiddle dee dee" case yes, in the internet kind, technicaly no its a copy but by law I think they still consider it stealing

Piracy is theft and murder on the high seas. However, sharing with your neighbor is good.
t. Jesus Christ

Well, let's look at a law about theft to see. I'll use Florida as an example because it's shaped like a penis.
812.014Theft.—
(1)A person commits theft if he or she knowingly obtains or uses, or endeavors to obtain or to use, the property of another with intent to, either temporarily or permanently:
(a)Deprive the other person of a right to the property or a benefit from the property.
(b)Appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.
So let's assume someone is intentionally downloading a movie. Is she depriving the owner of a right to or benefit from the property, even temporarily? No, the owner still has all rights and benefits to owning the IP. Did she appropriate the property for use by someone else who is not entitled to use it? No, remember that appropriate has a legal definition that includes language similar to the above. Namely, you have to take something away (which can be something intangible like rights) and the original owner must now not have what has been taken away.
If downloading was enough to qualify as theft we wouldn't have had to build the laws that are intellectual property laws.

There is no "intellectual property", it's a smear word just like "piracy" giving normies brain cancer. There's copyright law, trademark law and patent law, that's it.

Copying media from your own listening or viewing platform for private use has never been stealing, and never can be.

Obviously why all media is going digital. There's the thread, thanks uncle dick for adding mixtapes to the pile of, "things that could help a nerd get a real girlfriend that don't exist anymore".

Now people use memes. Is that what you wanted?

Ok, I'll be sure to write out four or five specific areas of law each time I want to group them together because one asswipe wants to be pedantic. EVERYONE, ATTENTION PLEASE: please avoid the everyday term for a group of these areas for this discussion. Until this snowflake gets the stick out of his ass we need to be super careful about how we refer to this.

you're using a product somebody made that you didn't pay for

youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

The person who "made" the torrent intended for you to use it. The only way to objectively enforce that is if, is if...

COMPANIES OWNED THE INTERNET OMG RUN!!!!!one

It's illegal.

It's not immoral.

yes it is but nobody gives a fuck

What the balls are you taking about? Let me give you some advice, son. No chick in the history of vaginas has ever been won over by a mix tape. I'll agree that it could be a thoughtful gesture and appreciated by a woman but like any gift just giving one to someone is awkward and creepy. Don't just randomly give a chick you like a thing. Talk to her like a god dammed person and build a relationship where gift giving is a good idea

yeah, you're retarded

Oh man, you guys are hot on a roll, like right from the oven.

Yes it has, no you.

>like any box of chocolates, literally observable time and effort into exposing your true personality and feelings into a timeless (magnetically speaking) gift is creepy

You really have to get outside

>balls, son, chick, vagina, god dammed, building a relationship

Underage

Daily reminder

Yes, "exposing your true personality and feelings" to someone who is not expecting is creepy as hell. Next thing your going to tell me is that all women are bitches and don't like nice guys.

You conveniently forgot to consider (b):
>(b)Appropriate the property to his or her own use or to the use of any person not entitled to the use of the property.
Are you (and everyone else) entitled to the use of any and all digital property (movies, music, video games and so on)?

Yes

lol this. we used to and often still do execute pirates.

no it's copying

copying intellectual property you don't have the right to, thus it is stealing.

No I did not. I VERY SPECIFICALLY put in in my comment.
>No, remember that appropriate has a legal definition that includes language similar to the above. Namely, you have to take something away (which can be something intangible like rights) and the original owner must now not have what has been taken away.
Nothing had been taken away. That's the very reason other laws for this exist because it doesn't for the definition of theft. I'm not entitled to make a copy. If I did I would violate their right to be the only person who can make copies (copyright law). But I have not APPROPRIATED their right. It's a right they still have. If I had appropriated their right to be the only one to make copies then they would no longer be the copy right holder which they clearly are. I'm not saying it's right, just or moral to make the copy. I'm just saying by legal definitions it's NOT THEFT.

YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CAR

depends on what it is, you're gaining unlawful access to something/stealing services. In the case of software as a consumer you're not entitled to the software itself you're buying a license to use the software you don't own the software in any proprietary measure. Same thing is true of music/movies you don't own the music/movies you buy user-end rights to put it on your devices.

No it's copying.

copy someone else's work at a university or in business, see what happens (you get kicked out of school or sued and possibly go to prison).

dunno

I'm poor as fuck, I would never buy those games or movies.

Sure I would, if I could download a mode of transportation for free, I would.

Duplication =/= Theft

you could download the designs for a car, but you have to actually make it which would probably be more expensive than just buying or leasing it.

and we are under admiralty law in these lands, so technically we are at sea although we are not in the ocean. just search admiralty law and the UCC.

depends who you ask

This is the correct answer. It is not theft.

Compared to the Republican tax bills?
Of course not. It's just self-defense.

thanks for the pronunciation, we all really needed that and can understand what it means.

>you don't own the software in any proprietary measure
I'll agree that those are all words but together they make a pile of fake legalese bullshit. I get what you are trying to say (and I agree, you typically buy a licence to put a copy of software on your computer and use it without gaining ownership of anything) but don't try to be impressive by using big words.

I would if I had a 3D printer.

you didn't steal it though

depends on situation
if you cant afford something and you have 2 choices either pirate or dont have it at all its ok
author of content wouldnt get anything anyway

its not, since there is nothing missing. its copying. also they say it takes away from the industry, sales prove that to be a lie.

check out the movie the interview. was leaked, quite a few people downloaded it. still made money

you did if youre copying without their permission. you are stealing their intellectual property. possibly also their paper if you literally take it from them without their permission, but I dont think we disagree about that part of it.

thats not theft though

Enjoy your larger paycheck once those new tax rates kick in, you fucking idiot.
>even liberal media is starting to report that it's not what they said it would be.

Then why is there a separate law for making copies of something you don't have a right to make copies of?

I you can get something for free off the internet you'd be a fool to go out and buy it from a shop at a massively marked up price

This. Kek at all these poor faggots trying to argue around the point

stealing isnt a legal term.

It's self explanatory,
proprietary means of or pertaining to ownership. It's not a big word if you got pass the 10th grade.

Unless you like the thing enough that you want to support the people who made it.
Many developers of games have ways of buying directly from them.

Of course shitware is going to be free, but proprietary software has value and therefore has a price.

it's foolish to be ethical?

Not if the entire crew is either dead or on the account, cuz no one ever knows of it. It's called shipwreck and Lloyds pays the bill Course nn one pays for the ladies but they were always free anyway, if ye catch my drift.

I don't think so because the company isn't really loosing anything.

Theft is a legal term defined in law. I know reading is hard for you but go up a bit to read a real definition of theft according to Florida State law and tell me how downloading a song fits into it. I'm no expert but I bet all 50 starts have a legal definition of either theft, stealing or conversion and since we don't have a bunch of extra chromosomes we don't have to play games like this.

go up and read what I was responding to and what this thread is about. we were talking about stealing, not theft.

all the blockbusters video stores shut down in Canada. Now theres no video stores. So all thats left that we can do is download the movies.

they're "loosing"[sic] a sale and someone is gaining access to their work unlawfully.

they may or may not be losing a sale. a counterargument to your point is that the person pirating their media product wouldnt have bought it in the first place, so piracy gave them more exposure, thus free marketing.

Ah, so we are pretending that we don't know what is going on. Understood.

If I travel by train without buying a ticket, is it stealing? Same question. The answer is (drumroll)

YES, FAGGOT

yea, we were talking about whether piracy is stealing, which is an ethical concept, not whether it is theft, which is a more nuanced legal term.

Positive WoM sales (word-of-mouth) comes primarily for people who actually bought the software. Priates are more likely to engage in negative WoM activity. They have no stake it in they're not trying to justify their purchase. They just have one thing in common they're entitled enough to think they deserve to have the software without paying for it. That vital ingredient is what makes bad WoM and go so far as to deter future sales. It's also probably why they think they're "doing them a favor" by stealing it.

It isn't stealing or theft. Piracy of data is good and natural. You can't own ideas, even if you can bribe people into beating up those who disagree with you.

YOU WOULDNT

No its borrowing

In economics, that's called an opportunity cost.
It's when an opportunity is given up when a decision is made. For example if you buy a $1,000 stereo, the opportunity of buying a new car is now put off.
In this example, instead of selling the MP3/movie, the decision was to take it for free. Since the owner of the object did not make the decision to offer it at lesser value, but was rather duped/forced and therefore has lost opportunity, we as a society came up with a punishable legal term for that called "stealing".

Who cares you're going to die someday so why not experience that movie,game,music or show.
When you die you're not going to think Good all those things I didn't pirate.
Now I say if you can support the media you like so more can be made of it. I don't pirate but don't care of others do.

Next time you past a question can you include your age please. It's hard to tell if you're 10 years old and genuinely curious or just a retard

Boy that wasn't the question at all.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

>2017 believes in god

>You can't own an idea
Duh. That's why they came up with patents. Also once it's on paper, film, wax, etc, it's not an idea anymore. It's a distributable item

Thanks user

*Burys face in hands
It's a movie quote you ultra tard. As an atheist, keep your snivelling atheist bullshit to yourself and quit giving us a bad name. Literally the only retard on any side this fence is a devout atheist like yourself, because at least everyone else has the fallback that you can't prove them wrong, no matter how much it doesn't make sense.

>I have set up a shop and I have an unlimited amount of bikes outside
>someone steals one
can you see what's wrong retard? It's no longer selling a product if it becomes free for everyone, but I understand that american education isn't always so good, and very often mongloids like you come out and put out their mongloidanian thoughts on the internet.