What's the best album to introduce jazz to a pleb?

What's the best album to introduce jazz to a pleb?

(He gets bored with pic related becuase It's too chill, so something else pls)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1FnW75Wl1Vs
youtube.com/watch?v=YVpl-RNzdE4
youtube.com/watch?v=R7jnhTDg4mk
youtube.com/watch?v=JJbVftAAhuU
youtube.com/watch?v=qJi03NqXfk8
youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI
youtube.com/watch?v=fvRkGglLe-U
youtube.com/watch?v=pDq43F0yMJI
youtube.com/watch?v=8sGTU0YQLFA
youtube.com/watch?v=U9TTtg5RMAs
youtube.com/watch?v=MRKUn6KnQ60
youtube.com/watch?v=F8bNo8C__v0&t=606s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

black saint and the sinner lady

this

Far east suite
youtube.com/watch?v=1FnW75Wl1Vs

I’d try A Love Supreme or Workin’ with the Miles Davis Quintet. Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is pretty dense if someone doesn’t have an ear for jazz.

Can’t go wrong with this

My mom hates jazz with a passion. She liked some of the songs on Cooking with George Benson Quartet.

Giant Steps is a good upbeat jazz album for plebs.
While Black Saint is Mingus's undeniable masterpiece, Mingus Ah Um is probably the better starter album.

As a jazz pleb, what should I listen for in jazz? As in what makes some jazz better than other jazz. I've listened to a bit of Charles Mingus and John Coltrane, and whileI enjoyed it I feel like I'm missing something.

I wouldn't give Mingus to a starter period. You gotta ease them in. Give them fun music. Plebs aren't cerebral they just wanna have fun. So I'd say Oh Yeahs a more fun record

Jazz is about spontaneous creativity. That's the spirit of jazz.

Try Dave Brubecks take five and blue rondo alla Turk.

cultivate a relaxed, attentive and playful mood

You gotta listen to all of it sort of...

When you start to hear what each instrument can do, you realize that what the instrumentalist is doing is that much more spectacular. Trane invented a way of playing. Mingus was an OK bassist - but he invented a way of writing for ensembles.

Jazz is a genre of context.

jazz is for plebs, dumb bougie whites (mostly jews), and the top 10% of niggers. prove me wrong

What music do you listen to, Mr. Faggot?

/classical/
get on my level faggotniggerspickike

All right. So you’re not a musician. What classical? Do you have perfect pitch?

I'm asking the questions here bud. Actually, no I'm not. Keep listening to your gay shit. It sucks. protip bitches brew knocks kind of blue out of the water, but neither hold a candle to the stuff he stole to create what he did. hashtag cultural appropriation my nignog

>classical
hahaha dumb cunt

As a jazz pleb myself, Mingus and Blakey are pretty much my entry to the genre, but I tend to lean towards music that rewards close listening in general, so bebop and hard bop apparently were already aligned with my tastes. They're still what I'd personally call "fun music", though.

You don’t get it, man. Jazz is so much more than Miles Davis. Even your hostile attitude is indicative of your ignorance. Classical is amazing - of course - but to think that the art of improvisation is not something to be worshiped by all races and creeds... my dude you are misguided. Any classical composer you enjoy knew how to improvise. Any classical musician will appreciate the genius that was Art Tatum. Miles Davis is the biggest meme in jazz. Bill Evans is worth his salt. Jacob Collier is changing the fucking world. Charlie Parker was a miracle. You’ve so much to learn.

>not realizing Beethoven and Bach both cast enormous shadows over any music worth listening to

Oh user... :-(

How else would we have harmony? You should know better.

>hahaha dumb cunt
>just gonna turn up my low iq nignogs playin' that skippety beat bop shadoobadoowop badeebaduh boop boop boop ba beep boop bop. sheeit bump it 'trane... bird, you know what mah soul be lookin' like boy.

Real jazz albums:

We Get Requests - Oscar Peterson

Getz/Gilberto

Alone - Bill Evans

The Atomic Mr. Basie

I hate Art Blakey but his shit is good and most people like it.

>Any classical musician will appreciate the genius that was Art Tatum. Miles Davis is the biggest meme in jazz. Bill Evans is worth his salt. Jacob Collier is changing the fucking world. Charlie Parker was a miracle. You’ve so much to learn.
nope. it's judeonigger garbage. improvisation /= jazz. is there some in jazz? sure. they have an intellectual understanding of how to switch modes and plays the extended notes of chords etc big whoop

My dude, if you think Art Tatum was just playing modes then you are frankly a fucking moron. He was basically phase shifting through harmonic centers, left and right. Constantly. Collier is literally reinventing western harmony before our very ears. I know you’re baiting me - and it’s fun to have this argument - but if you are really casting aside jazz for thinking it’s all about the notes being played, solos, or melody, then you aren’t seeing the bigger picture. Come out of the cave. It’s okay, young man. And for the lurkers - don’t listen to this idiot. Classical music has so much to offer, but jazz is much more than even improvisation alone. Jazz takes harmony to its limits.

>Listening to classical and not being a musician
T. Brainlet who tries to pretend he's not a brainlet

>Jazz takes harmony to its limits.
this was already done with impressionism with Ravel and Debussy, prior to Schoenberg et al inventing new harmonic and composition systems.
>if you think Art Tatum was just playing modes then you are frankly a fucking moron
I did not make that argument, retard.
>I know you’re baiting me - and it’s fun to have this argument - but if you are really casting aside jazz for thinking it’s all about the notes being played, solos, or melody, then you aren’t seeing the bigger picture.
I didn't say that either. Don't put words into my mouth, you moron.
>jazz is much more than even improvisation alone
It's like you didn't even read my comment.
Jazz "afficianados" are retards who try to signal their intelligence and taste to an empty audience. We don't care. It sucks. No one besides career musicians who make 0 money with their unoriginal copies or free improv shit give a fuck man. You're the one in the cave, faggot. Stay there. No one cares.

This. I don’t even know what the fuck people are hearing if they listen to classical without any training or knowledge.

Try easing him in with some fusion like Herbie Hancock or Chick Corea

that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. music strictly for musicians is like steve vai, or, frankly, jazz.

The butthurt in this thread is hilarious

jazz is for brainlets who don't understand the depth and exuberance of pop aren't amenable to outdated music theory

Passion and Warfare wouldn't be considered one of the best intrumental metal recordings of all time if Steve Vai was just for musicians, neither would all the jazz greats like Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Coltrane, Montgomery, Art Blakey, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Django Reinhardt and so on if they were just for musicians, but everything about classical is based on a gigantic foundation of theoretical knowledge. In jazz you can play modal jazz by the books or go balls to the walls with free jazz without going against the spirit of jazz.

>Keep listening to your gay shit. It sucks
And you people still kept replying and taking him seriously after this. Not to mention bumping.

>Passion and Warfare wouldn't be considered one of the best intrumental metal recordings of all time
Is it? I don't think so.

Besides, the same argument can be made for classical. There are millions of people listening to and enjoying pieces by popular composers. Just look at youtube number of views. Granted, usually it's not whole works but excerpts from it, but still.
I don't know why you have to know theory to enjoy this. I don't know, but enjoy it. Easier to "get" it than jazz to be honest.
youtube.com/watch?v=YVpl-RNzdE4

FAQ YU

hold this for me: youtube.com/watch?v=R7jnhTDg4mk

here : youtube.com/watch?v=JJbVftAAhuU

nOoOooOoOoOo... dELET THIS

i think you meant
pop is for brainless cunts who don't understand the depth and exuberance of jazz & aren't amenable to innovations in music theory

youtube.com/watch?v=qJi03NqXfk8
youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI
these two are relatively easy to listen to i think

Minus had some denser records. So either you havent heard them or they went over your head, which it happens sometimes. If you want denser music listen to Free Jazz/Avant-garde Jazz and some Experimental Big Band records maybe even some free improvisation/eiropean free jazz.

>Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
>Let My Children Come Home (sorry my brain is off, I'm about to fall asleep I cant remeber exactly the title but its Mingus)
>Ornette Coleman
>Sun Ra
>John Coltrane later work
>Out to Lunch!
>Peter Brotzmann
>Alexander von Shlippebbach
>Evan Parker

Art blakey free for all

Looking for bass/cello duos along the lines of Mark Dresser's Sonomondo and Edwards/Lee's White cables black wires.

Also, a bass/trombone duo would be appreciated

Actually, kind of blues was my gatevay album into jazz. But I was used to lenghty progrock albums and after I few years, I still dont like bebop but love cool jazz isntead. No every genre is for everybody.

bump

Ella and Louis. It so easy for people to get into, and the performances are just fucking perfect. This is the sound that made jazz popular, and has an instant recognition. See it may seem like a simple vocal jazz record, but if you try to explain everything they are doing, it's a good transition into how to actually listen to jazz without vocals. There are points where this album may seem like it drags because ballads, but there's not really a dull moment imo.

I'd also rec Art Blakey's Moanin or Coltrane's Blue Train. Both are accessible albums that aren't going to scare him off and are both just great albums

Not the op but I think you're just wrong. I get what you're doing, because nobody in their right mind should be thing angry about a genre of music. Being blatantly racist and offensive for the sake of an argument it just awful. And sure, those goes may have "pushed harmony," but are people listening to that now a days? And you could easily use your argument against jazz "afficianados" to what you're doing right now. There's literally no point in doing what you're doing. Why can't we just appreciate both styles? Miles didn't "steal" shit, and if you're one of those losers that has to say that musicians "stole" things from other musicians, then you don't know anything about music history or how music works. I just think that you should really re-evaluate how you spend your free time, because shit posting this hard is just a shitty way to live your life.

Interesting suggestions, I will check them out.

Thank you all!

you could try some vocal jazz? if he gets bored by instrumentals you've got the vocals to try and keep him hooked in and hopefully he'll start passively appreciating the instrumental of the tracks
so maybe
sade - diamond life
frank sinatra - in the wee small hours
terry callier - what color is love
(i dont listen to too much vocal jazz so another user might be able to give you better recs for it)

Coleman's Free Jazz

this

if theyre into rock

Charlie Parker
don't listen to the rest of the plebs itt

ctrl+f3/shorter 0 of 0

what's all this then? On the one hand I get to show my patrician jazz knowledge and taste on the other hand I am surrounded my ignorant plebs groping in the dark...

play Speak No Evil for anyone and if they aren't impressed you can let them exit your life with confidence.
youtube.com/watch?v=fvRkGglLe-U

This composition sounds quiet cool desu

herbie hancock - chameleon
then work backwards

Shorter isn’t where someone should be starting off with jazz, the interplay wouldn’t really be appreciated.

Blue fucking Train

the road to you by pat metheny.
youtube.com/watch?v=pDq43F0yMJI
youtube.com/watch?v=8sGTU0YQLFA
youtube.com/watch?v=U9TTtg5RMAs

or trio live.

the versions of bright size live and question and answer on that album are mindblowing

I just checked Collier out of curiosity, I don't really hear anything that revolutionary. Yeah it's good music, I just don't get how he is "reinventing western harmony". Am I missing something?

why does no one else mention pat metheny at all on this board

Saxophone Colossus -Sonny Rollins

It's what you'd expect what Jazz would sound like while also doing interesting things

i got a semi when you mentioned him desu

i think the issue is that he is a white dude who plays rocky influenced kinda stuff almost vaguely. If you are trying to appear knowledgeable about jazz on here everyone wants to listen to 1950s stuff which is fine but christ a lot of it sounds similar.

my dad is big into ECM stuff so that's how i got there. DO you like keith jarett or jan garbarek?

seriously, how is this not up with kind of blue or giant steps etc youtube.com/watch?v=MRKUn6KnQ60

these threads end up talking about the same albums over and over again so i guess im kind of sick of them since ive heard them so many times.
i've listened to one keith jarrett album (the melody at night, with you) will check out jan garbarek.

dunno man. I guess people just don't know? miles davis john coltrane the list goes on (meme)

go listen to keith jarett's koln concert. it will blow your mind

or this if you are looking for youtube
youtube.com/watch?v=F8bNo8C__v0&t=606s

came here to post this
early jazz was legitimately exciting music that was built for the ears

some terrible suggestions itt, and i LOVE pat

Show him some shit like Open Sesame or Conte Candoli or Chet
some generic shit see if he likes it

Oh wow, this is like cuphead music! I like it.

I thought cuphead had ragtime music

Chet Baker Sings

>Influence = quality
LMAOING at your life user
Classical is such a primitive form of orchestral music.

Try this

take five

One of the most underrated albums. Give it a try.