Now that the dust has settled 4 years later...

Now that the dust has settled 4 years later, can we all agree that this is arguably the most provocative record ever released by a huge pop star?

define provocative

idk, blood on the leaves is really hot

Normies are warming up to it, it went up like 1500 spots within half a year on RYM. The only notable critic who didn't like it was Fantano and that's where all the dislike for the album is coming from, he even doubled down on his 'yeezus is the worst kanye album' claim on his recent 'worst to best' kanye video. It doesn't matter though, people who like it REALLY like it and judging by sites like RYM it's getting more public acclaim by the day.

>Fantano
>critic

yeezus >>>> pablo

I felt like this was Kanye's first album that felt derivative of others' work rather than being new and exciting in Kanye's own way like his previous LPs. It was a big deal for a major pop icon like Kanye West to release something like Yeezus, yes, but as an album it's just okay to me. I still think that MBDTF and 808s were more important/influential for their times, and also hold up as better albums.

>derivative of others' work
nice meme
>Kanye's first album that felt derivative of others' work
Graduation

This album was instantly dated and not that controversial IMO
Looking back on 2013 it was a pretty shit year for music really

This album has excellent replay value and has definitely been aging very well.

>I felt like this was Kanye's first album that felt derivative of others' work rather than being new and exciting

It still sounds new and exciting to me and I'm saying that as a huge dg fan. What other album sounds remotely like Yeezus, I'm genuinely curious. Absolutely razor sharp and pulverizing production and some of the most visceral delivery in Kanye's discography. Black Skinhead and New slaves alone are top 5 Kanye tracks.

i can agree

Some of the songs are great, don't get me wrong. I just don't like it as an album. Same as Pablo.

Yeezus (Def Jam, 2013), designed with an incredible number of collaborators, is a sloppy, awkward and amateurish work despite the impeccable fusion of electronics and vocals, the impeccable collages, the impeccable production. But sound quality is a technological, not an artistic, fact. Daft Punk are responsible for the robotic beat of On Sight and the monster riff of Black Skinhead (one of the catchiest "songs"): cool but nothing we haven't heard before. There are a few moments of pathos: the reggae-like cry of I am a God in a desolate post-industrial soundscape, the gloomy crescendo of the first half of Hold My Liquor (before the misguided synth orgy), the martial trombone fanfares of Blood on the Leaves, and... i struggled to find at least one more. But there are also embarrassingly trivial moments of both mashup and sociopolitical analysis (New Slaves, I'm in It, Blood on the Leaves, and Bound 2, which is simply a lame tribute to soul music) and there is certainly an unusual dose of filler (a four-song EP would have been more appropriate for what West had to say in this album). As a narrative experience, these stories may try something new but it's more a case of a populist bard desperately trying to find something new to say to his followers than a serious discussion on gender and race. As an aural experience, this album feels terribly old, like most granpas when they try to speak the language of their high-school nephews. Maybe this album was only meant as a self-mocking joke?

4/10

death grips fans are so ignorant and retarded it's actually hilarious

I am a recovering death grips fan and I very much agree with this statement; it's possibly the shittiest band with the shittiest fanbase in the world

>This album was instantly dated

Not at all, what are you talking about?

>not that controversial IMO

Easily Kanye's most controversial album and the most controversial album of 2013, not to mention one of the most polarizing. People were losing their goddamn minds when it was released, you should have been on Sup Forums on that day, it was insane.

>yeezus came out 4 (FOUR!!!) years ago

fuck you op

>>This album was instantly dated
>Not at all, what are you talking about?
The whole "industrial rap" thing (for lack of a better term) was very much of the moment between 2011 and 2013 and died out very quickly afterwards. Even Death Grips, which everyone pissed themselves over in 2012 for their supposedly "futuristic" sound, sounds very dated now.
>>not that controversial IMO
>Easily Kanye's most controversial album and the most controversial album of 2013, not to mention one of the most polarizing. People were losing their goddamn minds when it was released, you should have been on Sup Forums on that day, it was insane.
I was on Sup Forums that day. Sup Forums was divided on the album just like we were for almost every major album release. Remember, this is the board where people were literally posting that Justin Timberlake's "The 20/20 Experience" was our generation's Pet Sounds until Fantano gave the album a mediocre review. Sup Forums is very reactionary and not a good barometer of what ends up eliciting a public reaction

>Even Death Grips, which everyone pissed themselves over in 2012 for their supposedly "futuristic" sound, sounds very dated now.

You're clueless. TMS only got more acclaim over the years. Do you equate release date to sound? It seems you do. There's nothing about Death Grip's musics that indicates that it was recorded and produced between 2011-2013.

>There's nothing about Death Grip's musics that indicates that it was recorded and produced between 2011-2013.
yes, it sounds like something made in the UK in the 2000s

not for long

Nah

nope you're just going through the phase where you reject the music you grew up on/was a part of your life for awhile. like clockwork.

the song 'Hacker'

Judging by the singles released so far, it's going to be shit

Nah, my issue with it is that it wasn't provocative enough. He started fine with the first 4 songs, especially On Sight and New Slaves, but then it just fizzles out. It needed more shit like Feedback or Freestyle 4 from TLOP. As it is, I don't think the album is nearly as challenging or aggressive as it's often made out to be. Hell, Bjork's put out more consistently provocative pop since fucking Vespertine. I dunno, I think Yeezus was a well-intentioned dud.

Other than Blood in the leaves I was kinda dissapointed, it's kinda out there if you look at it from a pop star perspective but compared to all the other shit that's out there it's just OK

Best song on the record tho

You are basing off the singles and not just her track history.

This is a poor man's Death Grips. The only good songs I think are Bound 2 (solid fun tune) and New Slaves.

I thought Bound 2 was the worst song on the album. The soul/glitch discrepancy was done better on On Sight, lyrics were some of the most trash on the album and it otherwise just sounds like an amateurish take on his early style. If that's the joke then I'm not laughing, it's putting me to sleep.

this album is p cool! not because its done by kanye either. just a nice project.

i wish it went further down the route of On Sight, Skinhead, I Am A God & New Slaves because those tracks are pretty fresh and are a lot of fun to listen to

As much as i like blood on the leaves and i'm in it, the catchy trap melodies sort of just dumb down the entire album and cuts it short of what made the first couple tracks so entertaining. especially bc he bought the melodies from tnght and gesaffelstein.

> person
> their profession
wwooewwow

>you
>gay prostitute
this is a fun game

On Sight and Bound 2 are two completely different songs. It's an electronic song with a soul sample that really comes out of nowhere and I don't think is even necessary. Bound 2 is the radio song, Also no one listens to Kanye anymore for lyrics. Next you're going to say Pablo was his magnus opus and not just a hot mess.

On Sight and Bound 2 are inverses. Same sonic ideas but reversed proportionally. The soul sample on it basically summarizes his stance with the album - he'll give us what we need, but it may not be what we want. Quite the show of braggadocio but what would you expect from an album named Yeezus? It's perfectly in line with what's being sold and amidst the abrasive electronic textures it kicks the door open with style. I wish the rest of the album were as hot blooded as its opener is, I feel like most of the album is a letdown by what On Sight suggests is going to be on offer. Bound 2 being the radio song just irritates me because I really do think it's one of this all-time worst. It just sounds like a bad take on TCD aside from the electronic breaks to me. As for Pablo, it's wildly inconsistent but it does have some of his best songs on it. I'd rather listen to it than Yeezus but it's very far from his best album or any kind of magnum opus.

That is fair, and it does make sense now that you mention it to have inverses of each other as the first and last track. I personally prefer LR to TCD but I could see why people don't like the song.

Nah,Kanye West is a very shallow listen all in all.his experimental attempts in his genre are gimmicky and with lyrics swinging between I'm hard/deepedgefeels you get this feeling of pandering or just no solid direction. He is only popular because he is shockpop and niggas as can play SOME of his tracks and still appear "hard". Also he is a total bitch

T H I S
i actually really disliked it when it came out

I give him some credit for his first 2 and 808s but beyond that he basically is just a producer turned pop icon with delusions of grandeur. That said, at least he took that element of himself and managed to channel it into a fantastic pop record with MBDTF. Seems to have a bit of difficulty replicating that in recent years, though.

pffffftbwahahahaha

>critic
>profession
lmao

>Track history
What on earth are you fucking talking about Taytay?

So is Trent just chopped liver?

>huge pop star
give me a break

Yeezus>MBDTF

this

What a moron

I guess
Unless you count Scott Walker as a huge pop star

>The "Yeezus is a DG knockoff" meme
Wow stop posting anytime

I wouldn't, Scott was popular back in the day to some extent but he has nowhere near the same name recognition that somebody like Kanye West has. That being said, his records are better than Kanye's by a wide margin.

>Yeezus is copying Death Grips meme
Why?

This got me thinking, what is The Beatles most provocative album?

I will rape anyone who talks shit about Yeezus.

>album
i dunno about the whole album, but probably when they started going DUDE LSD LMAO, or songs like A Day in the life, I Am the walrus, Revolution 9, I Want You etc

As far as historical context, I'm genuinely not sure. I imagine revolver was pretty shocking with some of the weird shit (for a pop artist at the time) it had on it. But then again the White Album was probably controversial to some extent as well, because of some of it's subject matter and songs like Helter Skelter