Bob Dylan Real Discussion

Okay. I'm the guy who started the unfunny "Ed Sheeran is the New Bob Dylan" shitposts and I just want to say that I did out of frustration with understanding the big deal with him.'
He's influential and made history by combining the socio-political edge of rock and the very introspective side of folk, all the while making it as popular to the masses as much as possible. He is pioneer, I get that. But did these achievements really warrant him being crowned the Nobel Prize or having his first several albums + "Blood on the Tracks" spammed on every "Top 10 Albums OF ALL TIME". Being the first to do something is not the same thing with doing something best. And personally, I don't think any of his work comes to par with most albums today.
All I could think of is the sentimental value that comes with his music. In lieu of the 1960s, everyone wanted to replicate the Bob Dylan sound and pretty much everyone failed. His branding was so on point that even until today "These times a changin" still gets posted on r/music every time some major world wide event happens or something, which is what led me to the comparisons with Ed Sheeran. Ed's pseudo-genuine demeanor and his success in showing off this persona just reminds me of Bob Dylan. They're pop artists that made history by trying to act like they're your neighbors and they'll bake you cookies or something. I don't know. Maybe it's just an American thing.

Prove me wrong guys, I've listened to New Morning, Nashiville Skyline, John Wesley Harding, Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited, Bringing it All Back Home, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, and Slow Train Coming.
I really really do want to get into this guy because he's influenced much of the quality pop music that's ever been made (e.g. Beatles). We even go through albums track-to-track if you want, just to explain what the deal is with this guy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9hO-83CIVKM
youtube.com/watch?v=37r9aqTxhBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=bvSs9-Ix8Nc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

this guy is just the Kurt Cobain of the 60s, but didn't need to die to be immortalized a mysterious, deep figure

Way i sees it, he took folk music and pushed it over the edge into what’s now called “singer-songwriter” music.
Also apparently it was a *huge* deal when he played an electric guitar but i dont really get it cause I’m not old enough?
He the type for the nerdy hippies to have written college essays about

>this guy is just the Kurt Cobain of the 60s,
Just so you know, that sentence gave me cancer.

I've got a few more albums for you to try out of his.

>Another Side of Bob Dylan
>Desire
>Infidels
>Time Out of Mind
>"Love and Theft"
>Tempest

Dawg, Highway 61 Revisited is a wonderful album and his lyricism is like a beat poet's work but good.

Idk what to tell you. Do you like folk-rock? Do You like TVU?

him becoming a rock artist is the equivalent of Sunn O))) becoming a techno band

please explain

you're a special kind of faggot OP

The "rock" transition wasn't nearly as awful as people make it out to be, the folkies just felt sold out by Dylan.

His worst time periods were his time performing with The Band and his gospel trilogy.

Aside from owning the "sound of the sixties" Bob Dylan completely changed the way how music was made in terms of songwriting and lyricism. Specially on Blonde on Blonde (his best album imo) his songs take on a very surrealistic approach, where the repetitive nature of the songs take the listener on states of mind, and not just topics like the songs that came before him. His songs are about how you get there and not the destination, and he really puts himself on top of everything, using his mysterious persona and humour as his main tools.

>Aside from owning the "sound of the sixties"
lad...

>Like a Rolling Stone
>All Along the Watchtower
>Desolation Row
>Rainy Day Women
>I Want You
>Mr. Tambourine Man
and the list goes on

The beatles have a lot of songs too

Eh taught the beetles how to 420 blaz it

>songs

You forgot Visions of Johanna, probably his best and most groundbreaking song

The thing is, basically everyone and their grandma covered him, referenced him, owed their career to him, were inspired by him

It's not even just the people who came after him who respected him but his own predecessors and musical heroes even covered his songs

If you don't like his music, who gives a shit, but his impact is undeniable

That said, I've never found another artists in my thousands of albums that has produced as much top-tier work so I don't understand how you couldn't like his music but that's your problem, nobody else cares

All of Blonde on Blonde is great-to-excellent tier, IMO
Stuck Inside of Mobile is my jam

>Being the first to do something is not the same thing with doing something best.
Except there is no objective way to judge "best". The only thing you can judge is influence and innovation, and by that standard he's one of the most important figures in popular music.

But even disregarding that I don't know what to tell you, I think his albums are just really fucking good. Clearly he's incredible songwriter but even past that he's just a wonderfully expressive performer with a distinct personality and angle to his songs.

>made history by combining the socio-political edge of rock and the very introspective side of folk,
Also, this is incorrect. He didn't "combine" the sociopolitical side of rock, or the introspective side of folk, he created it. Folk songs were always more communal and universal in nature, he was the one who took that form and showed it could be a means for personal expression. Then he got the socio-political side of folk and transferred that over to a rock context where it ended up working really well.

>They're pop artists that made history by trying to act like they're your neighbors and they'll bake you cookies or something
What in the fuck? I would never in a million years describe Dylan that way. He's known for being a kind of notorious uncompromising asshole. The whole irreverent rebellious rock star image stems from him. The reason "The Times They Are Changin" constantly gets quoted is because it's that fucking timeless and sharp. It was written in 1964 and still feels relevant. How do you not see how that in itself shows his value as a songwriter?

You know I was trying to legitimately respond to this but this entire post is just so ridiculously off base. If you personally don't like his music that's fine, but trying to work your way back from that and discredit a guy who's been immortalized in popular music canon is ridiculous.

i started listening to bob dylan literally a few weeks ago and am already completely obsessed and immersed in his catalogue
He's popular because he's an incredible musician, it's that simple. This whole 'generational' meme needs to end

WITH YOUR MEEEERRRRCURY MOUTH

Everyone needs to listen to the pinnacle of dadrock too, the Traveling Wilburys.

Bob Dylan is probably proud of this, but I'm not. Not a good starting point for Dylan.

Bob Dylan isn't popular because of his sentimental value or branding, he's popular because he wrote some of the 20th century's most highly appreciated songs in several genres, mainly political and romantic. That said, if you don't like his stuff much, nothing wrong with that, it might just not be your kind of thing. Personally, I think Dylan at his best had an incredible talent. For example, he could write a traditional song. Meaning, he could sit down and write a song that if you heard it and you didn't know it was modern, you'd think it had been around for hundreds of years.
As a political songwriter, he avoided easy leftist cliches or sugary optimism, focusing mainly on describing the situation without trying to offer simplistic remedies like many others did. As a romantic songwriter, he brought a remarkable combination of cynicism and tenderness to his work. His love songs continue his political/social theme, often offering scornful criticism of various common personality types. Yet he always maintained a certain core of empathy.

my friend looks like bob dylan lmao

IN THE MISSIONARY TIIIMES

Listen to time out of mind and tempest. Those are low key his two best albums

it's not a starting point for any of those artists.. it's the final destination

>t. rolling stone cuckold

this board only ever talks about his 60s material and blood on the tracks and ignores all his great later albums. even his recent cover albums are pretty good for what they are - he even admits he can't write songs anymore and is pretty much just doing it for fun

>Gospel trilogy
I tend to agree,though his late 80's early 90's-phase was also very shitty
>with The Band
Stop

Just a reminder he knocked this chick up after 2 minutes of awkward Bob Dicklet sex and she aborted it.

is slow train coming considered part of his gospel albums? i really enjoy that album

AND YOUR FACE LIKE SILK

Cold Irons Bound is a fucking masterpiece
youtube.com/watch?v=9hO-83CIVKM

Tbh, album version is better. I don't think Dylan does live very well, except for some of the Rolling Thunder stuff

you plebs and nu males need to listen to the basement tapes. Then you will realize why Dylan is one of the most important musicians of all time.

Time out of mind is one of his best albums. I love it so much.

It's funny how in all these kind of threads dylanfags come to defend him by citing "muh influence". It's rare to see them actually defend or extoll his artistic merits or innovation in terms of sound and music made. Were the instruments on his albums really that great? Are lyrics his sole redeeming quality which stand above average? I mean sure he can be called a good songwriter but was his music as a whole really that great?

Dylans wank. Always thought so despite being told ill 'get it' one day. Old now and still waiting.

Yes, no and yes

Ed Sheeran is just as bad as Bob Dylan.

nah. i heard highway 61 revisited and blonde on blonde (considered his best works) and the sound doesn't stand out as exceptional, innovating or great in any way.

ed sherran is a hollow man creating shitty pop music.
Dylan has way more depth as an artist and human being.
I really hope you are a troll and not genuinely this stupid.

Millennial dylan would be more like someone like father john misty or even conor oberst

Count down to butthuer in ...3...2...

Okay. I'm the guy who started the unfunny "Ed Sheeran is the New Bob Dylan" shitposts and I just want to say that I did out of frustration with understanding the big deal with him.'
He's influential and made history by combining the socio-political edge of rock and the very introspective side of folk, all the while making it as popular to the masses as much as possible. He is pioneer, I get that. But did these achievements really warrant him being crowned the Nobel Prize or having his first several albums + "Blood on the Tracks" spammed on every "Top 10 Albums OF ALL TIME". Being the first to do something is not the same thing with doing something best. And personally, I don't think any of his work comes to par with most albums today.
All I could think of is the sentimental value that comes with his music. In lieu of the 1960s, everyone wanted to replicate the Bob Dylan sound and pretty much everyone failed. His branding was so on point that even until today "These times a changin" still gets posted on r/music every time some major world wide event happens or something, which is what led me to the comparisons with Ed Sheeran. Ed's pseudo-genuine demeanor and his success in showing off this persona just reminds me of Bob Dylan. They're pop artists that made history by trying to act like they're your neighbors and they'll bake you cookies or something. I don't know. Maybe it's just an American thing.

Prove me wrong guys, I've listened to New Morning, Nashiville Skyline, John Wesley Harding, Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited, Bringing it All Back Home, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, and Slow Train Coming.
I really really do want to get into this guy because he's influenced much of the quality pop music that's ever been made (e.g. Beatles). We even go through albums track-to-track if you want, just to explain what the deal is with this guy.

you're a gay vaj, who the fuck calls a ginger pop star a "hollow man" a faggot that's who

Not an argument.
Sherran is bland top 40 atrocity.
Even oberst has a better argument for being dylanesque.

youtube.com/watch?v=37r9aqTxhBQ

>the sound doesn't stand out as exceptional, innovating or great in any way.
That's because he basically invented it. Almost every major American recording artist from the 60s up took something away from Dylan's music.

This
OP is trying too hard, the music should speak for itself

Dylan's time with The Band is some of his weakest work

>Were the instruments on his albums really that great?
What are you asking here? Are guitars, drums, bass, keyboards, mouth organs, brass etc. really that great? uhhh..... what did you mean by this?

If you judge music based purely on how 'innovative' it is you're gonna have a hard time enjoying a lot of brilliant music.

t. Mr. Jones

>I really really do want to get into this guy

Why do people try to force themselves to like critically acclaimed things? If you don't like Bob Dylan move on to something else, nobody's forcing you and it's a matter of personal taste.

I'm a Bob Dylan obsessive, I have loved his music since I was a toddler. I love it because his lyrics are witty, challenging and open to multiple interpretations, I love his voice, melodies, instruments and backing musicians and as someone who has always been seen as a bit of an eccentric and outsider I feel a connection to him and I often identify with the way he sees the world.

Low-key god-tier Dylan album coming through

Agreed, although I think Modern Times just tops it slightly. Honestly though, both can hold their weight against the likes of Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks to me.

Nothing Dylan did with The Band was weak.

>Planet Waves
>Basement Tapes
>Before the Flood

It definitely wasn't good compared to the rest of his work in that time period, even considering Self Portrait.

I always see him as The Joker and The Thief of Folk. Pete Seeger atleast do what he sings while Dylan goes full commercial.

Ed Sheeran is the new Mike Hucknall.

Before The Flood isn't very good, but Planet Waves is borderline great, and the complete basement tapes is among the best collections of music ever made

Bootleg 5 is the best live album I have ever heard.

Fuckin A man. I never see people discuss this but it's so great. His band is so incredibly tight and his voice is so wonderfully harsh and powerful on it. The version of Isis on there is just breathtaking.

>posts 4 guys who were envious of Dylan for a decade
These twerps were scared to smoke pot until Bob told them to

My favourite are the acoustic covers, extremely intense performance, especiallly It's All Over Now Baby Blue. Also fucking love Romance in Durango.

No. Because I haven't listened to Sunn O))) at all, and neither have most people.
Bob Dylan was performing in front of Martin Luther King JR in front of the I Have A Dream speech..

It's more akin to what happened with Kid A and Radiohead, or The Beatles if they went straight to Magical Mystery Tour during the I Wanna Hold Your Hand phase to people.

He had become the "voice of a generation", the spokesperson of the injustices that people in power imposed on the poor.
He was a folk music hero, taking what Woody Gutherie, Lead Belly and many others had done and culminating it with the current times.

So when he did the electric guitar at a folk music festival, it wasn't just shitting on an audience.
It was like all the traditions of American musical culture, the the messages of true freedom and justice, every thing he had done at once getting flushed down the toilet for POP MUSIC DEVIL MUSIC ROCK AND ROLL.

Pete Seeger literally almost took a fire axe to the audio cables before he was stopped.
Dylan compared Pete to being like a father and even he was broken about what had happened.

Luckily for Dylan what he did next changed music and became his greatest achievements.

Absolutely. it's the first.

Someone post a link please. Nothing in the archive has it

Just so you know, that sentence gave me cancer.

God tier

youtube.com/watch?v=bvSs9-Ix8Nc

>father john misty

absolutely not, because dylan is completely sincere and fjm is the posterboy for lame ironic nu-male "indie"

>because dylan is completely sincere
lmao what. Those mid 60's albums are absolutely drenched in irony with an acerbic wit to them. I'm not gonna pretend FJM is anywhere near him as a songwriter but he very clearly comes from a lineage that Dylan pioneered. I mean if anything Tillman tries to take it to another step, using irony to show how vacuous it can be if it's the dominant ideology. I don't think he's too successful at that but at least he's trying to mess around with the form.

Stop letting meaningless buzzwords drive your opinions, they'll always lead you to pretty dumb areas.

>and the complete basement tapes is among the best collections of music ever made
So much fucking this. It's disgusting to think there's people who actually believe the acclaim belongs to that terrible 1975 album.

What's the difference?

They don't capture the experience at all, have added production and tracks that weren't even part of the sessions and just generally excluded most of the best stuff