Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some processor advice!

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some processor advice!

I currently have a GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard and I'm looking to replace my processor, as it's not powerful enough to handle my uni duties of 3D modeling and texturing.

Here's a list of compatible processors: gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/GetCpuList/?Value=3975&Type=Product

I was thinking of the i5-3570k as it's not super expensive and I'm on a budget.
The only issue is that I have no clue about this shit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_jiXkrRoD4w
youtu.be/AUOtTEMn-RU?t=6m22s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First thing faggot, what's your current CPU, and why don't you upgrade your computer completely, that shit's probably old.

rip, mb! intel core i5-2500

and cause I don't have $1500 lying around

The upgrade wouldn't be that noticeable, and you don't need $1500 to build a good computer wtf

Also forgot to mention, people still uses 2500k's in 2017 OC'd to 4.0 GHz and they aren't dying, even compared against the 8th gen intel

You do in Australia where everything costs x100 more.

and really? shit.. anything on the compatibility list that would be noticeable?

Ahh true.
All I know is that mine can't really handle my programs for uni, and it's either my cpu or ram.

I have 16GB of ram atm, but I'm also looking to upgrade that. Would I be better off just upgrading my ram then?

Honestly, if you could upgrade to a Ryzen 5 1600 on a cheap B350 board (2 ram slots) that would set you for years, you can overclock it to 3.8 GHz on the stock cooler and you would have 6cores/12threads to play with, BUT, if you really want to upgrade your computer (DDR3 in 2018 lul), try to find an i7 3770(or K variant)

Hmm... I'll look around for the i7 for now. I'm not too sure what the cores and threads do, as I'm a retard, so no clue if the ryzen and board would be good lol..

Your current processor has 4 cores, 4 threads, the Ryzen 5 1600 has 6 cores, 12 threads.
I'll try to make it simple, each core and thread would give you more computing power.
Here, have an Aussie, you cunt.
youtube.com/watch?v=_jiXkrRoD4w

Fuck, wrong video, but you'll get the idea. The r3 1200 and r5 1400 (4 cores/4 threads and 4 cores/8threads are on that list)

It seems as though the 2500k is on par with the r5, though? If I understood correctly.

So upgrading to the 2500k instead of my 2500 would be noticeable, right?

youtu.be/AUOtTEMn-RU?t=6m22s
I should've linked this, anyway, listed up there is the Ryzen 7 1700 (8 core 16 threads cpu), and you can see it beats the i7 6700, 7700, 4790, and 2600 (3770 too, but it's not on that list). Why? Because it has more cores, so the computing power is better.

I linked a gaming related benchmark on a "lower-end" processor, I fucked up there. While for games it's 'the same' (Ryzen still isn't perfect for gaming, but it's the bang for your buck CPU right now), they win in computing power (unless you're getting a high end i7 and overclocking it).

I went from a E3400 to an I3 2100 to a Ryzen 5 1600 in a span of two years, and trust me, the difference between the i3 and the R5 was huge.

Ahhhhh okay, the gaming part would've most likely been the confusing factor for me.

I'll definitely look into the ryzen and B350 if I can afford.

On a side note, it's still definitely worth upgrading my current 16gb RAM to 24 or 32 if possible, right?

Only if you aren't planning on getting a new cpu/board soon. Check the pricing for the i7 3770 first, if it's seems like a good deal, then you can wait a year while using it.
If not, just get the R5 1600 (if you can go for the R7 1700, do it), a B350-M from ASUS and 16 Gigs of RAM (get DDR4 2400 and overclock it to 2933). It will be more expensive than buying just the i7 3770, but the upgrade will last for years and you'll have more paths in the future if you need to upgrade (you probably won't need to upgrade but AM4 socket will be supported until 2020).

Fuck, meant AB350M from ASROCK

wtf the ab350m is so cheap here, I like it already.

I'm only coming across the B350M Pro and B350M HDV. Which one do you mean?

The AB350M HDV isn't that good for overclocking, just the standard AB350M (it's the cheapest/reliable B350 board) or the B350 Pro4. There's also the B350M pro from MSI and B350M-K from ASUS

I got an MSI B350 Tomahawk. There's lot of options, you just have to search it for a bit.

Alright. I roughly rounded up the prices and it should only be $600 or so for that, the ram, and the ryzen 1600. I'm in heaven.

Thanks a lot man! You've been so helpful, you're awesome.

Oh true. Will continue to look around.

No problem user, glad I could help you.
Just remember to check for RAM compatibility on the manufacturer's website before you buy everything, you wouldn't want to wait more days to replace stuff if it's not working.

Remember, if you can afford, put the R7 1700 in your build, the computing power from it will be better for rendering/heavy workloads, but you'll be good either way. Get an 250ishGB SSD too, it'll help windows loading times. I'd get the 256 from ADATA.