What's the most interesting thing you know about space, Sup Forums?

What's the most interesting thing you know about space, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot#Reflections
space.com/35315-saturn-moon-titan-landing-anniversary-huygens.html
newscientist.com/article/2079986-billion-light-year-galactic-wall-may-be-largest-object-in-cosmos/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4zYe0qiJw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What's the most interesting thing you know about space, Sup Forums?
there's a lot of it between your ears

In the scheme of things, we are closer in physical size to the largest known object, a star which I cant remember the name of right now, than we are the smallest object, an electron

Is that according to the kabbalah?

WTF is the kabbalah?
This is according to my calculations I did at work while bored, and I didn't use mass, I used diameter, and the average human height

it's bigger than my house.

In all the universe there may be 2 trillion galaxies.
And each galaxy contains billions to trillions of stars.
And in all that space, there's only one of her.
And 2000 miles away is a lot further than it seems like it should be, in the grand scheme of things.

There're no niggers there and space has a distinct smell.

space is pretty darn big

kabbalah is jew-mysticism. Ever notice quantum guys are all jew? That's right, quantum isn't real it is jew-mythology.

Space is nothing compared to alternate realities.

There are more trees on Earth than there are stars in the milky way galaxy.

black holes

A Neutron Star can spin at almost 9000rpm.

That nobody knows what's outside of the universe. Think about it. It can't go on forever, but what happens when you get on the outside of it? What is the edge of the universe even like? Would you know when you passed through it?

The most interesting things to know are all of the things we don't know.

VY Canis Majoris I think is the biggest one we know of. Might be wrong.

*UY Scuti is the largest known star

The Pale blue dot. This photo was taken by Voyager 1 and it pictures Earth 3.4 billion miles away. This was the last photo taken by Voyager 1 as it exits our solar system entering interstellar space.

I know I'd like to have my face in the space between her ass cheeks.

Space isn't the nothing between things, but a weird jelly thing we're all inside.

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.

Well, it can go on forever actually. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, the measured flatness makes it so that the entire universe would have to be waaaay bigger than the current (observable) universe even if it were to be finite (closed). It could be empty space beyond there, just more of the same, could even be other little bubbles of universes. But sure, it could go on forever.

Vacuum isn't vacuum. It's a seething boil of particles being created and destroyed, all the time. It was described by Dirac's equation.

we are the shrapnel of a cosmic grenade floating away from the blast point into an eternity of nothingness.

If you were to stand on the Moon and look at Earth with a telescope. You’d be seeing everything happen 1.3 seconds in the past because of how long light takes to travel. If you were to somehow stand on the Sun and look at Earth with a telescope. You’d be seeing it 8 minutes and 20 seconds in the past. If we were to take it further and we somehow made it to the Andromeda Galaxy which is 2.5 million light years away. If we took a massive practically impossible to build telescope and looked at Earth with it, we’d be seeing Earth as it was 85 million years ago, we’d be seeing dinosaurs.

We can't even see the edge of the universe. Which makes no sense based on conventional understanding, because if everything started as a point (the Big Bang), and nothing can go faster than light, how is that possible? It's because new space is being created, in between everything.

That's incorrect. Dirac equation describes a relativistic single particle, not a dynamic field of particles. For that, you need to quantize the equations of motion, e.g. use quantum field theory.

Also, it's not that they're constantly being created and destroyed...it's that they both do and don't exist at the same time as some quantum state (the vacuum).

Because we're limited by a causal horizon and the surface of last scattering. Once we're able to observe the cosmic neutrino floor, we'll see out a little further.

But nobody knows and nobody will ever know is the thing. How frustrating is that? To know that there are questions that we will literally never have answers to, no matter what we do?

There are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand on Earth

Because light travels at a limited speed you idiot, if something is further away than light can travel in the time the universe has existed, the light hasn't reached us yet.

Yeah...that's crazy frustrating. But I wouldn't say it's hopeless...as I stated, there's possible things to discover when we see the cosmic neutrino floor. Similarly, if we're able to study the higgs and other fundamental scalar particles to a more extreme degree, it may let us see into the age of Inflation which will tell us about the number of universes we are in contact with. Right now, it's causally off-limits, but I think we're getting there.

The observable universe is the largest object you are referring to.

Dirac's equation describes how antiparticles are created in conjunction with regular particles

You're an idiot. If everything started in one place (the Big Bang), and nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, then we should be able to see everything. But we can't.

>When looking into deep space while in space. Nothing is visible, not even the sun.

Surfaces of all planets man has put probes on.
Starting from left to right:
Venus
Earth
Moon
Mars
Saturn

Mars has shit loads of radiation, so we're working on titty protectors for bitches to go to mars.

>What's the most interesting thing you know about space, Sup Forums?

It's infinite and contains a myriad of awe inspiring wonders.
A shame we'll never encounter them all.

Also
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot#Reflections

Imagine the torque you'd get with a neutron star engine

No, it doesn't. It describes a SINGLE particle antiparticle combination, but it has nothing to do with their creation, only with their motion and energetics. Just because you have an energy and equation of motion doesn't mean you have creation and annihilation, which would be obvious if you computed the S matrix for the unquantized Dirac equation. It does not describe the vacuum whatsoever, but merely some single, labeled particle. Don't know why you're so sure of yourself when it seems you haven't even taken QFT. Stay off youtube kid.

Heh. Breastplate.

If aliens were to observe us from their planet they would see either a dead planet or dinosaurs.
If you spent 1 year circling a black hole you would come back to earth 100/200 years in the future.
It's technically possible to time travel now, just go stand next to one of the great pyramids and everything around you will go 0.0000001X faster than the time you're currently in.

We haven't put a probe on Saturn's surface. The PSI would be amazing.

>It can't go on forever,
It actually does

Its very large and can get very dense but nothing conpares to that thickness right there

It actually doesn't. We have the observable universe, then because the universe is slightly expanding still there has to be a edge where it just stops into nothingness. We just havnt seen it yet because the light hasnt hit us yet its that far away

space.com/35315-saturn-moon-titan-landing-anniversary-huygens.html

everything didn't stay in the same spot you dipshit, there's currently shit more lightyears away than there have been years.
We're on one side of the universe, there's shit that went the complete opposite direction and continued accelerating in that direction.

Honestly, this isn't a hard concept to grasp.
>inb4 just pretending

Here's why the universe can't be infinite:

If the universe were infinite, then mathematically everything exists in the universe. If something goes on forever, then everything possible has to happen somewhere in it, and it repeats infinitely. Which means that out there are an infinite amount of other Earths with exact copies of everything we are and see now, and also infinite variations on that.

There is evidence of MULTIPLE UNIVERSES that are occasionally rubbing against each other.

No, this is wrong. It doesn't have to expand into anything. Space itself is expanding. It could be that it's empty outside of it, it could be that it's filled, but it's certainly not a hard edge. We know this because the universe has been measured to be approximately flat, which is not consistent with aclosed shape like a sphere. Please stop saying this like you're sure. You'll only confuse others. I'm sure wikipedia can clear this up for you.

Quark stars are a possibility. Basically a neutron star is having all its atoms/shit broken down. Due to the heat and pressure of a large star being, you know, compressed. Quarks make up neutrons, so in theory if you get it hot enough and small enough you have a quark star.

Boobs float in space

Would you even be able to move?

There's no way to know that for sure.
I'd assume there's an infinite amount of space, but we'll never know one way or the other.

1) that's not true. all infinities are not the same, so get that philosophy bullshit out of here.
2) what would be the problem with that? If they aren't causally connected, it doesn't effect us at all, so doesn't make a difference. completely worthless point.

the space between me and my son is growing ever since I didn't win custody.

>nothing can travel faster than the speed of light,
That's incorrect:
Tachyons are faster than light

That logic is awful.
No one's saying that there's an infinite amount of mass in the universe, we're saying that there's an infinite amount of space, you're never going to hit a wall.

Looks less likely based on the recently measured gravity waves from the neutron star collision. Still possible, but eh. More likely to be normal or a different state of quark matter (specific to high densities and low E)

Space isn’t real

Well, this thread started out fun but as always it has been ruined by assholes directly contradicting others without providing any evidence of their own and starting shit fights for no reason.

I'm not sticking around and watching it get worse. Have fun with whatever the hell this turns into.

It's fake.

Tachyons are sci-fi bullshit. Even with tachyonic solutions, once you make them consistent with the theory (quantize them), they end up moving slower than the speed of light. Why do people always suggest this sci-fi nonsense without taking a few minutes to look into it?

Light is finite dipshit

They're not shit fights--people are saying retarded shit. As a dude with a phd in theoretical particle physics, why should I let that fly without saying something? The dumb need to learn to speak less and listen more.

You're a moron. The universe began 13 some billion years ago, but the oldest photons we've been able to detect have traveled more 45 billion light years, and we know there's more stuff beyond that horizon that we can't detect. How is that possible when nothing can travel faster than the speed of light? Because space is expanding.

> even universes get horny

In a Pulsar 9000 hot rod? Like a motherfucker.

That was Saturn's moon titan, not Saturn itself.

Tachyons are theoretical, and not a strong theory

Burning up in the atmosphere isn't landing on the "surface"

what's your background in physics?

If something is more than 13 billion lightyears away, we cannot see it yet.
Light cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

What's yours

your all fucking nerds

graduated 3rd grade with flying colors

The quickest route between two points isn't a straight line but bending space-time making a wormhole.
Space also is a cube from the curve of space being a sphere or spherical shaped objects would cause you to go back to a starting position or from a corner make it so that you are equal or greater than the diatnce of an object in the middle of 2 points
And it's not curved in from a path that would be straight going to a point while itself you should never have reached that point in a straight line
There is also about 5 hydrogen atoms per cubic meter of space
(I am a nerd)

It supposedly smells like burnt steak

I'm the guy with a phd in theoretical particle physics currently working in the field. I'm guessing you're an undergrad? Legit jc

The diameter of the observable universe is 93 billion light years. If you google it the answer is 46.5 before you try to correct me. Because they're talking about Earth to one side.

Neil is that you?

In short. Gives an interesting idea to “other life” on planetoids in galaxies. If they had the technology to “view” earth. What time would that be? Maybe when earth was just forming.

How come 2 beams of light moving away from each other are only increasing their distance by 1x the speed of light?

NDT flunked out of his 1st grad school and did astro (which is for the autistic people who want to pretend they know physics. the people who almost fail every class). That negroid is beneath almost every real physicist.

Multi universe. Multidimensional. Quantum computers can run the simulated theories.

Trying to visualize top tier galactic super structures.

Unfathomable.

> Le super structures
newscientist.com/article/2079986-billion-light-year-galactic-wall-may-be-largest-object-in-cosmos/

Anyone know how to keep a wormhole going?

No, the universe itself is expanding.

Ask your mom

I wanted to see if anyone else knew how to

For all we know Andromeda might not even be there anymore. The light coming from it is millions of years old. Also the whole “Andromeda is going to collide with Milky Way” is based of old observations back when we didn’t know half of what we do now.

The most fascinating thing about space is how European cultures aren't sustainable in the long-term with their current birthrates and how muslims with their 8+ birthrate are set to turn European nations into future Islamic republics by 2040.

This is the most interesting thing about astronomy.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4zYe0qiJw

>That negroid is beneath almost every real physicist.

But yet that negroid got science closer to the masses in ways they understood on a grand scale that you ever will be able to, Mr Autist
> mfw, what are soft skills for 800
Your PhDs are worth shit if, like yourself, don't have any interpersonal skills

Biggest diameter is the observable universe

Right. It is not “there”. But “it” exists somewhere.
The universe is moving faster, and exponentially faster than we can know, measure, observe.

Another interesting thing is that every day atoms flash into exsistance in space without any energy consumed then pop back out of existence just as quick. This has been proven in labs.

“Yet?”