ITT: artists with no consensus for what their best album is

ITT: artists with no consensus for what their best album is

I can't name many more artists who have changed their sound so much over 20+ years and remained consistently good. My favorite Ae releases aren't so much a matter of best/worst, just which ones I like the most

Kanye West or Bowie

arguably not just remained consistently good, but gotten consistently better over time

Animal Collective (at least among actual fans)

approximately 50% of these artists

I think the only ones that actually apply are Radiohead, Animal Collective, and Swans

Swans

rankings for DG albums are even more over the place than any other artist on that chart

nice

Sufjan is usually divisive.

I was going to say this. I used to get the impression most people thought 2011/2012 DG was the best but lately I see a lot of people who think they get better with every album

Kendrick for sure as well

Possibly Queens of the Stone Age.
IMO all of their albums have some hits and misses.

Modest Mouse has three strong contenders

Lol
Death Grips
Captain Beefheart
The Velvet Underground
GY!BE
Joanna Newsom

Bottomless Pit is their best and it sucks no one discusses it

But Kendrick only has 1 decent album
4 user, im assuming you forgot Good News

Bottomless Pit is their best and it sucks; no one discusses it
FTFY

Tri Repetae.

Eh, that's debatable

but that album is shit m8

Eminem

Nothing him, but lmao no

corey taylor does not realize his best album is the grey chapter if he had done a better job performing it maybe recorded a song a day rather than trying to do it all at once and wearing down his voice

I bet you liked Quaristice as well.

>Popol Vuh
>Mu-core

When did this happen?

Aphex as well.

objectively wrong opinion

Nice fuckin quads satan

Also nobody acknowledges his best shit was recorded as AFX

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

My favorite release of his was from one of his one-off aliases, 'Polygon Window'. Guess it comes down to which style of music from him you most enjoy.

I definitely fw Surfing on Sine Waves, it's just not my favorite because his weird sense of humor isn't anywhere on it, sounds like he's trying to fit into the serious Warp aesthetic

This is correct, because all of Autechre's albums are shit.

I find most of his works to be on the serious side. Only ones I can think of that were humorous are the late '90s EPs and some tracks from Druqks.

"arguably"

but what's better than elseq, ae live and exai though?

Ween

this

fink ployd

It's not a bad album but nowhere near their best. People here just like it because they like whatever rate your music tells you is an artist's best album. Ever since rate your music has been in the sticky, it's had a negative effect on both sites.

or because it's a good album and perhaps they have fond memories of it. RYM is shit for electronic music.

The Beatles

>most people
Sgt. Peppers
Abbey Road

>Sup Forums
Rubber Soul
Revolver
Magical Mystery Tour
white album

>contrarians
A Hard Day's Night
Help!
Let It Be

>ultra-contrarians
Please Please Me
With The Beatles
Beatles For Sale

>patrician
Ram
Band On The Run
McCartney II

Been listening to Peel Session 2 a lot lately. Is there any non-autechre music as rhythmically/percussively dense as this?

King Crimson
Death Grips
Radiohead
Wilco
Primus
Pink Floyd
Yes
Dillinger Escape Plan

Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson

who draft 7.30 here?

Rush
The Police
Nirvana
Sparks
Black Sabbath
Dead Kennedys

Radiohead

>patrician
The Bends
>contrarian
In Rainbows
>alternate contrarian
HTTT
>pleb
OK Computer
>alternate pleb
Amnesiac

this is a good one. my favorite release of theirs has changed from Strawberry Jam, to Feels, to STGSTV, to Water Curses, to finally HCTI

Five Finger Death Punch

Untilted f a m

the correct answer is phone recordings of onesix live sets

lol, noticed that too

long term fan here. Exai is great but I honestly prefer, say, Amber or Chiastic Slide overall. Chalk it up to old favorites. I really do need to listen to the others (haven't yet) but I'm still slightly buttbothered by their move away from physical media, to which I am stubbornly attached.

--- Burchased over 20 Autechre CDs, dwelled in 2 Autechre concerts ---

RHCP. I mean, do you like the socks-on-cocks fratbro version of them from the 80s or do you like the chill pop rock of their later career stuff?

Arcade Fire
Massive Attack
Godspeed! You Black Emperor
Radiohead
The Smashing Pumpkins
Tame Impala
Mount Eerie
The Velvet Underground
The Who
Weezer
Led Zeppelin
Beach House
Brand New

The album that got me into ae and still my favourite.

Don't most people say it's Confield?

Madvillain for sure

Easy:
>Everything Now
>Heliogland
>Undoing A Luciferian Towers
>Pablo Honey
>Zeitgeist
>Currents (I guess)
>White Stag
>Squeeze
>Endless Wire
>Raditude
>Presence
>You got me there
>Your Favorite Weapon

Grimes

>"Plebs"
Art Angels

>"Patricians"
Visions

>People with actual musical knowledge
Halfaxa/Darkbloom

>Contrarians
Geidi Primes

Confield is a critical darling because it's "a difficult album", or it was at the time. But during informed discussion by fans you'll find plenty of opinions other than that Confield is the best. OTOH among normies and geeks who try some Autechre but aren't die-hards you'll of course find people who like the earlier, more concrete stuff, or someone who just sauntered in a year ago who likes the recent stuff.

My point being that although it is of course a very good album, Confield is also a bit of a meme that you can virtue-signal that you like to get good boy points for being deep and liking the weird abstract music, a la TMR or any other "difficult" record which is largely notable for exactly that reason.

agree

>But during informed discussion by fans you'll find plenty of opinions other than that Confield is the best.

Can't you say that about almost any artist with a relativity consistent discography though?

(You)

Songs For the Deaf is the consensus pick.

Which was Metallica's best? RTL or MOP?

Sure I guess but that's got nothing to do with the point of the other user (you?) to whom I had replied. The other user supposed that Confield is regularly and commonly regarded as Autechre's best album. It is, but then so also is Tri Repetae, LP5 (though I don't like this one as much), and (lately round these parts) Elseq.

My point being that the other user was grasping for a communal/fan understanding of the standout albums/best album(s) in order to make some sense of the catalog and how it's known by people. Which is fine to start making sense of things. I just pointed out that Confield is a well-liked album among fans but I really don't hear people saying that it's their /favorite/. This goes right to your point about consistency with which I agree.

Confield was a /big deal/ when it came out just for how weird it was, and that mystique sort of lingers about the album, which is part of what the newbie(?) user was probing at and was probably familiar with. But a lot has happened since that time of course (like, half the group's catalog and regular touring, and not just being irrelevant old farts playing the hits and writing new ditties).

The ALBUMS are one discussion, and yes, they're pretty consistent (I was just thinking through this in another recent thread). But the TRACKS I can always identify clear favorites on every album, like more strongly than with other albums.

Pen Expers. Jesus fucking fuck. Now there's something that rewards repeated listens. How I wore that track out on my CD. I have a whole (simple) narrative interpretation of that track that I've made up for myself and settled on.
A bit later, same basic period: IV VV IV VV VIII. A battlefield, somewhere. Some beach where shit is going down and machines are being rude. How quintisentially British in the sound.

>uber contrarian
don't even mention Kid A because its so obviously the best that it is correspondingly obvious that you should not say it is the best

You're funny