Can you actually tell the difference when listening to vinyl?

Can you actually tell the difference when listening to vinyl?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_analog_and_digital_recording
youtube.com/watch?v=-NaCO7n07YE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no. but having the stuff on display and having to physically do shit is pretty entertaining

Yes, vinyl is inherently noisier. Any "improvements" is just your system (speakers, cartridge, etc.) coloring the sound. I guess vinyl masters tend to have more care put into them though.

The collecting side of vinyl is better than the audio side.

yes, because I have to get up every 20 minutes to start the music again

There is a difference but digital recording has gotten to the point where it actually sounds better so there's no point

most of my vinyls sound like shit. i don't know why or what i can do fix it, i've tried EQ, different speakers and it's the same. the odd thing is that some, like survive's latest album sounds perfect. help me Sup Forums.

>no. but having the stuff on display and having to physically do shit is pretty entertaining
this

it's shittier generally

My uncle disagrees though. He thinks that if you have awesome equipment and take good care of your vinyls that they are much better sounding (in some technical regard that I can't recall)

In general though, I think the funnest part is just the hipster aspect of it. I actually think everything is 10x easier on the spotifies

New or old vinyl?
How do you clean your records?

In a sense, rather the analog playing allows subtle changes than digital. The wax can warp, dust can cause sounds to change etc

Get an anti-static brush

>I guess vinyl masters tend to have more care put into them though.

This.

Only older records yes, because vinyl pressings were usually mastered differently than the later CD pressings

don't you know it sounds
W A R M E R ?
W
A
R
M
E
R
!

with a brush. they sound muddy as fuck. like listening to FM radio.

phasing
noise
compression
saturation
'W A R M T H'

Yes vinyl is very different to hi quality digital. If you don't hear it kill your ears.

Yes. If it sounds bad, it's probably vinyl.

Yes, it's not as good. Vinyl is only favored by nerds who like to collect shit.

Modern vinyl that is mastered properly with good equipment can be better than lossless in the opinion of many, but a big part of it is the collecting portion of vinyl.

yo what does phasing mean?

it's when Kitty Pryde walks through something or someone

The thing is, most vinyl these days is not converted from tape, but rather from digital formats. On top of that, vinyl simply can't handle the highs and lows of certain electronic music--there are actual physical limitations with vinyl.

When is a record going to phase?

maybe phasing isn't correct.

It's not flanging. How best describe the low frequency modulation in pitch?

No duh, vinyl predates the existence of electronic music by some time.

Right... so, generally speaking, it's not better... at all. Digital formats can handle much more = much better.

Muddiness.

It's called wow and flutter on tape machines. Possibly on record players too.

are you sure of this or could it just be you listen to digital all the time now for such a period you forgot how Analog sounded?

I was trying to convey the main difference to me and it seems to be soemthing like the aspect of the space in which the music is being played is less evident in digital encoding than with analog

how does digital encode for space? if its only assigning characters for frequency vibrations it seems like the result is as if existing in a vacuum whereas analog recordings convey the dimensionality of the space where and when the mujsic is played.

possibly higher sample rates of above 24/96 can get nearer the reality of analog but the sampling process inherently fails to deliver something.

It's just like stamp collecting but peoples eyes don't immediately glaze over when i show them my records.
>New or old vinyl?
Mix of both, sometimes the price of used is so retarded you should buy new, some new pressings sound awesome. Also you are guaranteed to get all the stuff that comes with a record when you buy new...

>how does digital encode for space
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_analog_and_digital_recording

There's definitely a difference. I've found that hi-hats/cymbals have a crispness and that bass/drums have more punch and body to them in comparison to when I'm listening to mp3s.

youtube.com/watch?v=-NaCO7n07YE
>Mike Pike will never explain to you why vinyl is objectively better
why live?

The only time I've noticed a difference was when I was listening to pic, the title track did this thing where the bass felt like it was going around the room in circles (possibly because it was hooked up to a surround sound idk)

If you're not doing vinyl, then what's the most productive setup? I need details on this as I am huge vinyl collector/enthusiast.
To me, a large portion of musicians produce music to be listened to on vinyl and my goal is to experience the music in the format they see fit. If Brian Eno and Steve Albini told me the best way to listen to his music was through a motorolla razor speaker, I'd buy ten of them.

Yeah cause after 10 minutes you have to change the sides like you're a butler