What are the top ten most influential bands of all time? I think Pink Floyd and Captain Beefheart make the list

what are the top ten most influential bands of all time? I think Pink Floyd and Captain Beefheart make the list.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eVdJCGUHL4A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=eVdJCGUHL4A

Chuck Berry
AC/DC

Definitely the Beatles. Even if you don't like them, fucking everyone names them as an influence. Also, Chuck Berry, Zappa, Hendrix, and Miles Davis might be worthy contenders.

The Replacements
Blink-182

Limited solely to bands, probably something like
The Beatles
The Velvet Underground
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
The Rolling Stones
Kraftwerk
Sex Pistols
Joy Division
Radiohead
Led Zeppelin

Of course this is difficult to quantify as many later bands will have a major impact on music, but less so at this time as they're not as old

1. Hootie and the Blowfish
2. Stone Temple Pilots
3. Red Hot Chile Peppers
4. The Who
5. U2
6. Radiohead
7. Kid Rock
8. Neil Young
9. Nine Inch Nail
10. Black Sabbath

Take the Sex Pistols out for the Stooges, otherwise that list is decent. Zeppelin out for King Crimson too

Pink Floyd wasn't influential.

>Pink Floyd wasn't influential.
Say that to the neopsych movement, as well as many of the rock bands that came out of the 90's.

Yeah any list that doesn't include them is wrong.

>Buddy Holly and the Comets
>The Beatles
>The Beach Boys
>The Who
>The Kinks
>The Rolling Stones
>The Velvet Underground
>Black Sabbath
>Pink Floyd
>Ramomes

Personally, that is.

*Ramones, I should stop going on Sup Forums with headaches.

>The Beatles
Yes.
>The Velvet Underground
Yes.
>Black Sabbath
Yes.
>Pink Floyd
Yes.
>The Rolling Stones
Yes.
>Kraftwerk
I guess
>Sex Pistols
No. Stooges and Ramones were both more influential to punk rock
>Joy Division
I guess
>Radiohead
Fuck no
>Led Zeppelin
NO.

Take Sex Pistols, Radiohead and Led Zeppelin out and include Frank Zappa, Sonic Youth (they influenced every rock band since late 80s) and King Crimson.

Just because Led Zeppelin influenced a ton of shit bands doesn't mean they're not influential

They aren't as influential as King Crimson, Sabbath, The Beach Boys, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, U2, Wu-Tang, Biz Marquee, MC5, The Stooges, Bowie, The Jackson 5, The Osmonds, The Runaways... I can keep going. I never said they weren't influential, but they're not top 10 unless you're watching dadrock TV.

Led Zeppelin isn't even more influential than Nirvana and they are way older

Oh good lord.

Don't be so Alternative-centric. How many Metal or Hard Rock or even harder edged Alt Rock bands don't owe a lot of their influence to Led Zeppelin? I shouldn't imagine very many.

led zeppelin influenced Nirvana. Where do you think Aero-Zepplin came from of Dave Grhol's drumming?

And how many more were influenced by Sabbath and King Crimson? Your list is entirely based on 90s rock band's influences. The entire thread is focusing on commercial anglophonic music, but you are ignoring entire genres full of acts who are massively more influential than Zeppelin:
electronic music - Chemical Brothers, Moby, Gary Numan, Martin Denny, even Tiesto. Then you have hip hop, jazz, blues, country, etc. And that's just contemporary, anglophonic commercial influences. No idea why you have to sperg out about Led Zeppelin when their degree of influence petered out around the late 90s.

Everyone's kinda cruising past the real issue here and that is that no one's mentioned The Jimmy Hendrix Experience

so what? Nirvana was more influential than Led Zeppelin even if Led Zeppelin influenced Nirvana.

nigga who cares
how do you even measure influence, how can you rank influence
never understood this

Would N.W.A be a contender?
They're probably the most influential Hip Hop group of all time.

Death Grips
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Microphones
Animal Collective
Radiohead
My Bloody Valentine
Swans
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Captain Beefheart And His Magic Band
The Velvet Underground

I love Captain Beefheart but how much influence has his music really had?

What you don't understand is that Neutral Milk Hotel was so influential that they acted as sociological nuclear bomb obliterating all groups after them with inferiority anxiety. Only a few strong stragglers remained, but for the most part, the impact was devastating.

>ctrl F ramones
>3
Wew

This but unironically

Sugarhill gang is far more influential dude.

To be fair, you need to have a very high IQ to understand Captain Beefheart. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical philosophy most of the jokes will go over a typical listeners head. There's also Don's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization. His personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny, they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Captain Beefheart truly ARE idiots, of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Don's existential catchphrase "Neon Meate Dream of an Octofish!" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenevs Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Don Van Vliet's genius wit unfolds itself on their speakers. What fools... how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, I DO have a Trout Mask Replica tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only, and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

lil b and the chief keefs

Oof

BEACH BOYS
they're kind of like beach house, but more obscure and earlier on, crazy shit