Ok Sup Forums, I have run into a bit of money recently and I want to buy a bike...

Ok Sup Forums, I have run into a bit of money recently and I want to buy a bike. However I'm torn between getting a cruiser or a sports bike.
I was looking at beginner sportsters like the iron 883 or a beginner sports bike like the yamaha R3.
What do you think I should get?
Ideally I would have both but alas that is not happening.

Cruiser 100%. I've had both, and a cruiser is much more fun to ride after the initial "wow I can go fast" wears off with a sport bike. Better riding position, easier to carry a passenger, better for adding a pair of saddlebags if you want to do a multi-day ride. Plus, a good quality cruiser holds its value over the long haul much better as there is a bigger buying audience for them versus a sport bike.

If you could have TWO, then maybe a sport bike, but if just one -- go cruiser.

You can get a sports bike and look like a faggot until you inevitably slide sideways under a 18 wheeler or you can get a cruiser and feel like badass 1970's biker.

Hard question.

The iron is a pos, the Honda bolt is better, there are plenty of 'naked' cruisers, look around. Don't bother getting a sports bike under 600cc second hand, spend the extra 1k and get a 1000cc if buying new.
If your restricted licence, get a super / hypermoto like a crf450x, wr450f or ktm Duke

Say I do go for the cruiser should I start off small with the sportster considering I have no prior experience with bikes or should I get something with a bit more umph?

The Iron 883 is a great bike, and it has the Harley name. NO ONE will look at you and think "what a punk." They will think "nice bike." The reverse is definitely not true.

I would not go with 1000cc or bigger for a first bike. That is a LOT of machine to handle. If you get a good quality bike like the Iron 883 (although it IS assembled in India...) you can resell and get a bigger bike when you're comfortable.

I started on dirt bikes, worked up to 500CC on those, then went with a 800cc Suzuki cruiser for my first road bike. I got a 1972 Harley 1100 Electra Glide after that. Glad I started with a lighter bike (not just the engine) and then traded up.

What do you consider a solid bike?

Na get the 48 I've had both, the iron gets boring after 3 months it was my first bike as well

You should get a standard bike. I've ridden every bike type except for trikes, and standards are comfy enough to ride for hours, and fast enough to get up there.
The 80's standards are pretty cheap, ranging from 400 with work, or 1200 in decent shape.
Pic given is my favorite bike out of the three I've owned.

Forgot to add that I would maybe even start with a good quality used enduro bike like an older Honda Dual Sport to learn on, save your money and then trade up to a cruiser once you have ridden for a year or so.

Damn looks pretty neat I will definitely look into that.

Kawasaki ninja
Honda hornet
Suzuki gsr 600/750 loads of good naked sports bikes about

Good quality used starter bikes from the late 80's-90's will give you a good price to learn on, if you can find one that has been taken decent care of:

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 or 500LTD if you want to start smaller
Suzuki Boulevard S50 (my first cruiser) or S40 if you want to start smaller
Honda Shadow 600 VLX

if it's a toy -- get a sports bike or cruiser.
If you are going to use it as a daily driver/ commuter -- get a big scooter. like the Yamaha t-max or Suzuki bergeman

BTW, the S50 is the new name, it was called an VS700 before that, but its the same bike.

Cruisers.

I've got a 77 gs750, I adore that bike. Same color too

The only right choice

Not a bad choice at all. Good first bike to learn to ride the streets, plus it's fun (although not all that nimble) on trails as well.

And light enough to pick up by yourself if you tip it waiting at a stoplight.

I've raced Motocross since I was 8 and have been riding steet bikes since I was 17. I gotta say man. How with the cruiser. Speed is only so nice till you go on a long ride and can't sit properly. I got myself a Harley atm and it's the nicest bike I've ever had

If you have no experience. I personally believe you should get a dirt bike for a while. And practice with that. I've done Motocross since I was a kid and can ride amazingly now. And we've had a bunch of friends die by just getting on a motorcycle without any experience. But if you want a starter bike. Go with a simple Sportster. My Harley is technically a Sportster but only in look now with the different modifications it had done (different engine ect)

Is a motorcycle a good idea for someone that doesn't drive? I hate cars. But cruisers always looked fun. Motorbikes seemed a bit too fast for me.

Also, what would be a good recommendation for a noob? Something cheaper, but still worth it's money.

>captcha: Extra Road

This guy knows his shit.
Love my S83 / VS1400 and the S50 or S40 are miniature versions of that.
Great classic style, and the smaller size of the S50 and S40 are ideal to start out on.
Pic related, my 1400 - I have put 26000+ miles on her. So far

I'm a cunt, and I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me, but id recommend a modern classic. they give the old timey effect and practicality of a cruiser, but also the speed of a crotchrocket. I have a gs1000, so it isn't a MODERN classic but I can almost keep up with most sport bikes while also being able to not get glared at by cruisers.