CLASSICAL MUSIC

Plain and simple: how do I get into classical musi, Sup Forums? How do I get to appreciate and understand it more?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIHFfuzKYPI
youtube.com/watch?v=M_VCbnqbwwA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-qcCwWSJE
youtube.com/watch?v=wawSCvuGj4o
m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzJyIWxjX9o
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm_und_Drang#In_music
m.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnz5YgeSiA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What do you like?

Start with Bach and work your way up
m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIHFfuzKYPI

I listen mostly to Arvo Part and Wagner.

That's what I'm talking about. I have tried to listen to Bach, but everytime I try to listen to his music I feel lost. It doesn't touch me in any way like Wagner's music does. What am I missing?

What is it that you like about Part and Wagner? They don't really have much in common with one another. Maybe they both share a tendency for sweeping dramatic music?

Also what non-classical music do you like?

Start with the famous Russians. Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Koraskov.

youtube.com/watch?v=M_VCbnqbwwA

What would be a good start for a dude that likes a lot of metal and jazz?

>sweeping dramatic music

That is probably it.

>Also what non-classical music do you like?

pretty much anything besides rap/metal. Currently I've been listening a lot to Olafur Arnalds[spoiler] and vaporwave [/spoiler]

I do listen to the Russians. They're not the "classical" I want to start appreciating though.

>[spoiler] and vaporwave [/spoiler]
kill me

You feel lost when you listen to this??
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-qcCwWSJE

listen to ravel and debussy fuck everything else

Based on the way you're talking about the music, you let overall "feel" (w/e the fuck that is) determine how you like the music. Western art music requires a lot of active listening to enjoy. Someone like Bach, whose works entails complex melodic counterpoint, requires a ton of active listening to get into his stuff. Arvo Part is easier to deal with due to the constant repetition minimalism style, meanwhile Wagner's is easier to deal with due to the way Romantic era cadences are done written in a samey way. It's a very detail oriented style of music, and one's appreciation rises tremendously as they get better at getting a feel for what's actually happening in the works at any given moment.

If you would still want to continue doing Bach, I would recommend you 1. start with his Cantatas (the Bach Collegium/Masaaki Suzuki ones are great) as something like Art Of Fugue, WTC, or Goldberg is too much for beginners I think and 2. learn about his cliches that he often uses like the BACH progression and note how his cadences end. Maybe it's worth knowing what counterpoint is as well.

But in all cases like yours, I just always recommend going for classical era and minimalist composers as their stuff is the easiest to initially understand and enjoy. With Classical era, you gotta go Mozart, Beethoven, and Schubert. With Minimalism you gotta go Steve Reich, Philip Glass, and Arvo Part (who you already got a start on.)

I am going to assume you can do atonal intervals in your music then, as I am a metal/jazz fan myself. For you the stuff worth checking out is 20th century style stuff.

>composers who were essentially making a cross between jazz and classical
George Gershwin
Leonard Bernstein
>composers who have admitted to being jazz influenced
Maurice Ravel (or at least his Piano Concerto In G Major)
Igor Stravinsky
Dmitri Shostakovich
>crazy atonal stuff
Anton Webern
Arnold Schoenberg
>sheer chaos, very dark
Krzysztof Pendericki
George Crumb

Perhaps I am not chosing the right pieces. I'm used, as I said above, to Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Part. These are mostly dramatic and emotional. When I listen to something that sounds too medieval I feel lost. I can't really put into words.

Well, that is a pretty complete response. Thanks buddy, you really helped me.

wtf is counter point why cant i just listen to the notes

hey guys please recommend me similar pieces

youtube.com/watch?v=wawSCvuGj4o

You don't fuck with Rachmaninoff? Or Tchaikovsky? But you still want sweeping, dramatic music? What about those guys do you not like?

No wait, you do fuck with them. But how's that different from what you're looking for?

>Perhaps I am not chosing the right pieces
If the pieces that I chose don't do anything for you, then you're a lost cause.

>These are mostly dramatic and emotional
I'm not against sentimental shit, so here you go...
m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzJyIWxjX9o

I am looking for classical music in the strict "classic" sense (classical era).

I am a huge Mahler fan. That is one of my favorite pieces. As I said above, I am looking for classical composers -- from the classical era.

i like some of the pieces you posted, but ravel's piano leaves all that shit in the dust

Oh, I see. You should have said that, the word "classical" is overloaded.
See this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturm_und_Drang#In_music

>classical period but romantic stuff
You might enjoy this...
m.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnz5YgeSiA

I don't know why, but this has been my shower music for a long time. It's clean?