$10 an hour after 25 years of work? That's an outrage

latimes.com/opinion/readersreact/la-le-roberto-torres-waiter-wage-20160527-snap-story.html

>Sup Forums will shit on this man

>still a waiter after 25 years
Shit nigger what are you doing

If that's what he likes, why not?

he should go waiter at a better restaurant lmao

>doesn't report the thousands of dollars in tips to the IRS
>doesn't shaft other waiters by taking the best tipping customers for himself by being the headwaiter

This article is complete misinformation. This guy makes a lot more money than you would think.

Then don't complain about your wage.

>seniority changes the fundamental value of unskilled labor

then open your own restaurant or something

Stop tipping people
They stop working as waiters
Companies still need waiters , they raise wages
problem solved

if to work 16 hours per day and 31 day per month its almost 5 grands.

>25 years of experience
>speaks 3 languages

Too stupid to tell his boss to give him a raise or he will take his talents elsewhere

He should be satisfied with his wage then. If he wants to make more he can look into opportunities to move up within the establishment, or look elsewhere where his experience can get him to that higher paid position.

Not tipping is the biggest douche move you can do
>here come the yous

Why not look for work elsewhere if the company you serve faithfully fails to recognize your work and loyalty?

Requires more skill than sitting in a cubicle doing fuck all.

No the biggest douche move is to not tip and shit on the table.
But being serious, US tipping culture is ridiculous.

this

i was a bartender and i made 80-100€ a day in tips and i didnt even try

this guy is a fucking retard he should've found another job

>implying waiting is harder then being in IT, Accounting, law, etc.
Retard is you.

yeah, except people aren't going to stop working as waiters in the US.

In Europe, a waiter stays at $10/hr or whatever fixed rate they get, so it's a shit job.

In the US, a good waitress can easily double that, and if you're fresh out of high school or something, with no experience, why would you work at mcdonalds for $9/hr when you could be making upwards of $20/hr at a nice restaurant?

this

>How shameful. Sure, Torres is happy. But wouldn’t it be nice if he was paid what he’s worth?
>Torres is happy
>How shameful
LIBERALS

Yes, I will happily shit on this man.

If you want to earn more, you need to do more. You need to make yourself more valuable. There is no graduating pay scale for low-skill labor. Sorry. I made this argument to a teacher colleague of mine who used to champion illegal immigrants rights. He was quite angry and frustrated that there was an illegal immigrant working in California (on a farm) who still made minimum wage after 30 years.

Hint: If I can replace you with a 17 yr. old high-school student and train them up in less than a week, you're working in low-skill labor.

I worked a shit job for 14 years and only ended up making the equivalent of 13 hr.

>started at age 19 just to have a job while I decided what to do with my life.

>24-29 worked there while going to college cause they worked with my schedule, it was a trade, and I wasn't doing a service job.

>at 29 they semi retired and said I could move up to owner once they fully retired

>in those 4 years they ran the company into the ground, and at 33 they decided to retire and close the company cause it was doing so poorly.

I never had the chance to go with another company cause there weren't any doing what we did.

Im a senior software developer. I make $125k. If i would have stayed at the same job id get $3k/Yr raise. If you quit once a year and move around you get $10K/yr in raises

>that picture

Jobs what generate shitty revenue need to go.
They will be replaced by jobs that generate more revenue.

I agree our tipping culture is ridiculous.

> $10hr + tips
> a bad job

Pick one. Only one. $10hr + tips is a MINIMUM of $150 a day.

$150

$1050 weekly pay
52 weeks a year

$54,600yr

>MUH $55,000YR SALARY IS AN UNLIVABLE WAGE!!!!

I disagree. There will always be a need to low-skill workers.

So long as there are trash cans to be emptied, there will be a need for low-skill workers.

no they won't.
minimum wage = increasing startup costs.

there's a reason why large firms support minimum wage. there's also a reason why usa capitalists btfo out of europe.

Do you tip people at fast food chains? Well why not? Oh thats right! Its because they outlined how much it would cost and you pay that price like fucking adults working in a capatilist country

There's a need for everything. The question is how much of a need there is. The need for street sweepers, farmhands, garbagemen, etc. is going to decrease.

Productivity increases from technology will lead to decreased employment and decreased prices. But if you want to be successful you'll need to ownership of some firm.

if people couldnt survive working these jobs they wouldnt work them

and 10$ for a waiter is a lot of money, considering they have a much lower minimum wage

Yes. I tip daily at Dunkin Donuts. $5 every day to the cashier. My coffee is ways $3.04.

So $8.04. a day for large french vanilla iced coffee, light ice, cream, no sugar.

Seems fair. Honestly I know those kids pool their tips and divide it equally amongst each other. Christmas eve on the drive to my parents house in Chappaqua I always stop off in Yorktown and get coffee, leave them $100 tip.

>There will always be a need to low-skill workers.

Low skilled doesn't mean low revenue.

You talk like a fag and your shits all retarded

Low skill means anyone can be trained to do the menial task, ergo competition dictates people would work harder for less to guarantee their employment. You're delusional to think everyone is born with the same intellectual/physical/emotional capacities.

Imagine a world where teachers were paid $2.35 an hour, and the the rest of their income is tips from parents. A world where teachers who waste a semester preaching tranny rights instead of differential equations only earn minimum wage and get replaced by people who teach knowledge instead of an agenda.

More jobs should rely on tips, not less.

I usually go to coffee house at the beginning of each month, I take coffee with cream and leave rest of my paycheck as tip. Then I live rest of the month on welfare

That's an outright lie. Do you think $8 a day is frivolous? That's sad you don't have $56 a week to enjoy your life with.

Give me a PayPal and I'll send you $56 dollars right now so you can enjoy your Finnish coffee mascerated in fermented sharks urine.

No lie, stright up offer.

It's not about the job, it's about the end result.

The example of garbage collector was made.
How much do you think it's worth to you to have your garbage removed?
Would you be fine with living in a filthy street, or having to drive half an hour to get rid of your garbage, if it saved $1 a month? how about $100 a month?

The price someone can ask for his service isn't the same as the economic value that service generates.
The two would only be the same of there was no competition.

I work delivery and pull 35k a year.

Pretty good except a solid 2k of that is just to the car.

No no, you don't understand. It cost's a paycheck to buy a coffee in Finland nowdays

Communist shithead.

Communist shithead.

[RANT] Tip is based on service. I'm not obligated to tip you. Its not my fault you decided to take out a contract with an employer to work for such a low ass wage and hope other people will fill in the rest. That being said, you ACTUALLY wait on me and do a good job, I will tip you respectably. The problem is, that rarely happens any more. This feel the bern generation just feels like they are entitled to their tip. After bringing my food to me they disappear and I have to chase down a waiter on the opposite side of the restaurant to get a refill or my check every time. Last time I went to a Chile's I stood at the front for 10 minutes, just me and my wife, waiting for a hostess to appear to seat us. I start at 15% and it goes up or down from there.[/RANT]

You are batshit insane.

I pay a private refuse removal service $115 a week to pick it up. It's worth what it's worth. I shopped around for the best non-union service I could find. As a responsible home owner one has to obtain maximum service for the least amount of money possible. I tip them as well, exclusively during Christmas season though. I give the driver and the man who operates the mechanical arm that picks up my bin and empties it bottles of liquor.

Greasing the palms of low-end workers goes a long way. They're always on time and never leave a mess for me to clean up.

Going back to the coffee house, a simple $5 a day tip ensures they know me by name, know what I'm going to order and start making it as soon as they see my face. Never waited more than 60 seconds to get a coffee and start drinking it.

See
Maybe you're socially retarded.

Finland has McDonalds, they sell cheap coffee, you're lying for the sake of shitposting and I like it. You sure you don't want some free money?

Most can not afford to tip so generously.

My job's been part time on call for 12. No benefits. No pension. Still waiting for that full time. Shit sucks

Year. Wear and tear is rough. As long as you have a relatively new vehicle it won't be that much of an issue. Kudos for you working hard and appreciating your job. Too many people complain about their work.

No sane man does.

It's an investment in the future. I get what I want when I want it, most of the time at the expense of others for simply being nice and going the extra mile for the coffee house kids.

Anyone can afford to save up $100 a year to tip liquor to garbage men. I always get Johnny Walker Gold for the trash guys. They're pretty great. I've had them over my house for barbecues as well.

Being well connected is a good thing.

>I tip them as well, exclusively during Christmas season though. I give the driver and the man who operates the mechanical arm that picks up my bin and empties it bottles of liquor.
>Greasing the palms of low-end workers goes a long way. They're always on time and never leave a mess for me to clean up.

I've never tipped and wouldn't dream of it. I've never had a mess in 14 years of home ownership.

>I pay a private refuse removal service $115 a week to pick it up.

Either you have ludicrous amounts of trash, are making this up, or the US is legitimately insane.

I don't even pay 115 dollars a month.

Some people get genuine satisfaction serving others. Butlers end up millionaires when their masters die. The schools in England to become a butler charge more in tuition than Harvard or Yale do.

Again...investments for the future a lot of people here cannot understand.

Wait you have to pay to have your garbage removed in the US?
kek

Yeah, because being a butler for a millionaire and being a waiter in a restaurant are very relatable.

Explain what does any of this have to do with communism.

I pay $16,000 just in property taxes a year, I have a rather large parcel of land. About 35 hectares my house sits on, directly on the Hudson River in New York.

$115 a week was the least expensive non-union firm I could contract. A union means my garbage can sit there rotting in the sun for a month if they decide to strike. Fuck that. Teamsters are like the Mafia, they're not pleasant people to deal with. At all.

It's just the cost of living where I live.

holy shit im making 11$ in my IT internship and thats with health and dental benefits and paid vacation...and im 23

How is serving the needs of others different in any way? Explain the differences to me, even the uniforms are very similar.

A job is better than no job, but trying to live on a low income without a spouse or roommate is difficult.
Also, feel free to correct me. My only source is my computer engineering classmate who absolutely hates receiving anything lower than 15% in tips.

If you get paid $150 a day and work 8 hours a day, you'd get $70 in tips each day.
Do most people work 7 days a week?

It's easier to count in hours since that's what your paid by, but since tips vary by day I'll round value of tips higher.
Most people work 40 hours a week, so I'll say 50 to be generous.

(50 hour work week*10 dollars an hour)+(100 very generous tip dollars*5 days)=1000 dollars a week even.
1000 dollars a week times 52 weeks a year = $52,000

Then you apply income tax or some bull shit and since tips are now affected by it, even those aren't safe.
So then 2/3 of 52,000 is 34,320

>Anyone can afford to save up $100 a year to tip liquor to garbage men.

I cant afford to save up $100 a year to tip liquor to myself. Fuck the garbage man.

What'll happen when so many low skilled jobs are replaced by robots?

waiter is no job for a man

tell your room mate to not be a waiter, nothing more humbling than being in IT/CE/CyberSecurity but with a background in blue collar jobs. I used to be a diesel mechanic

Like others have said

>he was aware of the wage they pay waiting staff
>he obviously chose to stay there either because he liked it, or simply remained there out of a lack of gumption
>he should be aware of other waiting opportunities if he ever wanted to earn more

He made a conscious choice. Whining after 25 years is retarded.

does your wife laugh really hard at all their jokes and is always making cushy eye contact with them while their telling good stories of funny things on the job?

Depends on what state you live in for taxes. 33k a year take home is more than reasonable to afford a nice apartment, pay for a car and maintenence of it as well.

It was a while back, when he was a freshman 3 years ago.

Then maybe he should go sit in a cubicle and do fuck all.

>implying I pay attention to the stupid shit she does

Lol no. If she banged the garbage man I wouldn't care, I've been fucking her sister for years and her nephew is actually my son. Oh well. Her husband is a dumb shit too, I got DNA work done on my kids before signing any paperwork.

That's also working a very long week. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it takes a lot out of you.

Fair enough.

>50 hours a week is a lot

I used to work 50hr weeks in 3 days when I was younger. 80+ wasn't an abnormal thing for me. Business owners seldom get "vacation time" but a few weeks a year. If the doors are closed you're not making money...amirite.

I'm also pretty sure most waiters aren't paid 10 dollars an hour and also get tips. The income must be MUCH lower.

We're talking about the guy in the OP post exclusively.

Let me see

>butler for a milionaire
Get to live in a mansion. Grow a good and strong relationship with your boss who sees you as his friend. Minimal stress.

>waiter in a restaurant
Work your ass off for minimal to no gratitude, tolerance for fuckups is minimal. Friendly customers are an exception rather than the norm. Be dependant on tips. Your boss ultimately only cares about your efficiency and how good you are at making profits for him, which goes for most wagecuck jobs of course.

>Sure, Torres is happy. But wouldn’t it be nice if he was paid what he’s worth?
What a freaking patronizing asshole. Just leave the man alone.

A butler has a room and is on call 24/7 to his master. He's also required to be available at his/her beckon call. There is no down time, or freedom to enjoy oneself. I'd say waiting hand and foot on another person is extremely stressful and yoire just as expendable as a bartender or waitress at Ruby Tuesday's.

Are you a waiter? The way you make a professionals work seem meaningless but a meaningless Jon seem important is insane.

They're both menial service jobs that require little to no talent. I don't see any significant difference between the two.

If you are a waiter in a fancier or more expensive restaurant, you can pull in a crap ton of money. You'd have to have experience I'm sure, but there's no shame in any of it. I heard bartenders can make a killing too at some places.

Fair enough.

>A union means my garbage can sit there rotting in the sun for a month if they decide to strike. Fuck that. Teamsters are like the Mafia, they're not pleasant people to deal with. At all.

I accept this is the norm in the US. I've never gotten it, but I do know the unions were literally in bed with the mafia at times.

The unions are very different here.

And how often is he woken up at night? You make it seem like he is working in the ER.

I'm not arguing about how meaningful or important these jobs are at all, I'm arguing that being a butler would easily be much more enjoyable and comfortable than working as a waiter in a restaurant.

Because
>expecting CEO level wages when all you do is carry a plate from one room to another room
There is no reason to justify much more than $10 an hour - and by the way, that's a tipped wage. Normal waiters get paid like $2 an hour. With tips, it probably comes to three or four times that.

And the stress load would be much higher since they would have a reputation to uphold that can not be tarnished whatsoever.

>Getting $10 an hour for being a waiter
Only idiots and people who have never been waitstaff will think that's terrible pay
Please kill yourselves

Depends on if his master is a house-pet celebrity wife. Those people are needy as fuck. The social circles I spend time in are like this. Only a few have "personal assistants" but their job is 24/7 and are verbally abused and threatened with unemployment on a very regular basis to keep them up to par and in line.

Money gives you a power over people you couldn't possibly imagine. I live near a few colleges, Marist being one of them. Vassar being another. I once posted an ad on Craigslist just for young women to come swim at my house and pose for pictures in their bathing suits. You'd be surprised how many "leftist feminists" get naked when money is involved.

Completely off topic though. A butter has the same job (essentially) as a waiter.

Picture related, desperate for money 18yo college freshies. Want more?

>Yes. I tip daily at Dunkin Donuts. $5 every day to the cashier. My coffee is ways $3.04.

She's still not gonna fuck you , breh. Sorry.

Breathe deeply, mongoloid.

I'm married. The good that owns the Dunkin Donuts franchise in my town only employs his family. I don't fuck colored people. Sometimes it's just nice to be nice...without expecting anything other than a smile out of it.

Gook autocorrected to good. Odd. Could have sworn I saved that word at some point over the past year I've had this phone. Hmm.

Noice.