Why were the prisoners such pussies?

I dont get it. Most the guards were weak as fuck, once they started getting abused why didnt the prisoners just step the fuck up and beat the shit out of a guard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=67llDv40TGg
youtube.com/watch?v=frMMrkJVnUQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because everyone involved in the experiment was shockingly stupid and melodramatic. Literally a perfect storm of idiocy that has never been repeated.
The Dr in charge even fucking encouraged the behavior of the guards and prisoners because about 5 seconds after he started the experiment he realized it was a stupid idea.
The worst part is that there are actual people who believe this experiment is some powerful statement on humanity when in reality it's just a bunch of retards willing being monkeys for a totally incompetent Dr

Because you can't beat up a guard in real prison

They would have gotten put in the hole

>Literally a perfect storm of idiocy that has never been repeated.

I like that most people think that changes to made to rules regarding psychological experimentation is why something like the Stanford Prison Experiment hasn't happened again instead of the "perfect storm of idiocy" thing

Those people were all retarded

Yea but everyone there knew they didnt have actual total and legal authoritu over these prisoners. If a couple prisoners decided to severly injure a guard it wouldve for sure had to end earlier.

Thats what i was thinking, they just carefully selected a few submissive dramatic wimps that kind of wanted to play along with the experiment. But the movie made it seem like they were really being held against there will with no other option

That's kind of the point of the experiment.

Peoples susceptibility to power dynamics.

The holocaust, the Milgram experiment and all that jazz.

It used to happen IRL.

Prison development and management has come a long way in the last 30 years.

Partially thanks to the performance demands of privatization.

But that's not a particularly feel good story for lots of people, so we don't talk about it.

already saw this movie, when it was called 'Das Experiment'

youtube.com/watch?v=67llDv40TGg

15 fucking years ago!

This is completely different than something like the holocaust where they knew death was guaranteed if they faught back in anyway. These dudes had to be legitmately retarded to not intervene immediatly when they started abusing them. I bet the actual experiment looked wayyy differen than the movie and it was more just like a group of unstable retards who wanted to experiment and roleplay

Same reason most people won't just fight cops even when they outweigh the cop by 100 pounds and are a foot taller.

Just putting that badge on, changes people's perception of you. Obviously some badges work better than others, but there's an effect no matter what.

>This is completely different than something like the holocaust where they knew death was guaranteed if they faught back in anyway.

That's actually not true.

During the initial stages they were assured they were just being relocated. They were just "sorting things out", etc etc.

Just about every Jew went along with it. Small handfuls of them kept imploring the other Jews to stop being pussies, open their eyes and look around - Explaining to them that the Germans didn't have any right to do what they were doing, and to get off their asses and get some guns and fight.

They only DID get off their asses and fight AFTER the killings and deportations to camps began, when it was too late.

>Why were a bunch of college students such pussies?

JEEZ, I DUNNO BRO LOL

>"dude this fucked up we gotta do something"
>"do you want to get paid?"
>"oh yeah"

Ok but its still very different. The prisoners in this movie started to get abused on the 2nd day there was no equivalent to the relocation period of the holocaust. And also, even in the promised relocation period of the holocaust it was still a mandatory forced relocation by germans with guns. These stamford prisoners couldve got out of there right away if they wernt little bitches. They wouldve had to let them out

Yea but thats because theres goverment and law and jail time behind that badge. If these kids were smart at all they wouldve realized "oh wait i dont actually have to be here" and fucked a guard up. They wanted to stay there and feel sorry for themselves. The movie made it seem like they truly couldnt get out no matter what they did, thats my problem

It wasnt like that at all in the movie though

>AFTER the killings and deportations to camps began
you mean never? there's no evidence of anything other than labor camps.

don't talk shit about Dr Z

>These stamford prisoners couldve got out of there right away if they wernt little bitches. They wouldve had to let them out.

It is a well known ethical issue of the experiment that Zimbardo did not allow some participants to leave, even when they requested to do so.

>But the movie made it seem like they were really being held against there will with no other option
Of course it did

I'm curious about this movie but what I can tell you I've experience in jail.

Jail is not prison but the entire justice system is designed to break you. Constantly being woken up for random stupid ass shit. Being forced to eat your 3 shitty meals a day within 12 hours and the starved the other 12. Having other people watch you shit then complain when it smells. Also most people involved in that kind of shit just want to do there time and leave. Attacking a guard could seriously add some hard years on your time inside. I've only been to jail so I couldn't imagine the animosity of prison. They try to ruin you as a civilized being and break you down to the smallest being. You often feel like you'll never leave and honestly getting your ass beat sometimes is better than the boredom and insanity you feel behind bars.

So I'm gonna watch this movie now and see what you guys mean cause maybe this movie is just unrealistic.

You sure have a strong opinion of things you don't know much about.

ITT internet marines tough guys thinks they're better than everyone else. No you dumbass. The experiment had 'scientists' (actors) dressed in stereotypical 'boffin' garbs. The actors knew their stuff and convinced the participants to obey them because they (actors) looked SMARTER and KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING, not they were stronger or threatening. Lern to look up artikels furst, dumbfass.

They kind of were. There was one guy that wanted out of it super bad and they kept him there for a few days before they let him leave.

>the guy's face on the thumbnail

All I could think about was that "Hitler reacts" meme.

Negative reinforcement is a hell of a drug.

Same reason Sup Forums is a desperate echo chamber

> the weak obey the strong

HOLY SHIT THIS IS BREAKING NEWS

> oh no! It's almost like I'm being punished for being bad!

yo it looks like the guy on the top is holding a joint lol

ya it does actually lol

Let the good goys have their delusion.

There's a reason this stupid experiment was a failure and makes no sense and it's the same reason the holocaust is absurd and makes no sense.

Actually he could have left at any time. They just never explicitly told him that he could. Eventually they had to tell him "hey, dude, it's a fake prison, remember? We can't hold you". He had forgotten completely that he wasn't actually a prisoner.

>severely injure a fellow student on school grounds
>breaking the social contract of not causing needless another person, for frivolous reasons like "he was mean to me"
>picking a fight with people that were given wooden clubs from the experiment's controller

God that movie was shit.

Was he stupid?

I know you're baiting, but retributive justice isn't really that great of an idea for a lot of the shit that can land you in prison

Because that's not human nature.

welcome

The guards actually started to physically torment and manhandle the prisoners. At that point you're allowed to fight back.

And yet most people won't. That's why prisons can still exist in the first place

Probably. But it's more telling to how people's behavior goes into full beta mode once they're put in a prisoner's role. Same thing happens in abusive relationships and the like.

Nah, that's the military. That's designed to break you.
Jail is designed to strip you of your liberty completely. Which is the biggest psychological punishment you get. Everything else about it is just a nuisance. A dickhead guard is just that, a dickhead and he'll always be one. The same goes for everything else about the joint, the food sucks but it's palpable, some cellmates are nuts and your opinion doesn't change after you're released. Being locked up in concrete and kept from the outside world is what pains you

SO DISTURBING INTESNE AND BELIEBABLE THAT IT'S EZ TO FORGET WE WUZ WATCHIN A MOBIE

literally the 2nd most retarded thing i've read this week

Yeah. Also, not a lot of people know this but, the Professors wife MADE him stop it so she was something else to add to the drama.

fucking load of shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite

>I bet the movie made changes to make things more interesting.

Holy shit you must be one of dem geniuses Iv heard so much about. Just read about the actual experiment. Or find his book The Lucifer Effect. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Didn't they literally film it all? Why the fuck would anyone re-enact it?

He's fucking moron and a con man, he should have never have been allowed near a university.

What are you talking about?

Are you seriously going to call it a well conducted experiment?

how does it not make sense. Do you like to ignore the massive amounts of evidence that prove the Holocaust happened? Maybe you just hate Jews, but IMO the Holocaust includes all the other non-Jews murdered for no reason other than existing (like the poles, gays, disabled people).

And sure you're going to call me a shill and that I've been brainwashed by "Jewish media" but I don't give a fuck and I know that I haven't been brainnwashed, but I and everyone else knows the Holocaust happened. Maybe the numbers have been exaggerated, but it still happened.

How come Holocaust deniers don't come out in droves and deny that the Armenian genocide, the Rape of Nanking, the Holodomor (Ukrainian genocide), or the Rwanda Genocide happened???

There was a financial incentive and one guard deliberately warped the direction of the experiment from the start.

I'm sure there's some kind of lesson you can squeeze out of it, but It doesn't really tell us anything about prisoner/guard power dynamics.

Money

Ethical standards were put in place after the experiment was halted that prevent recreation of this experiment. They weren't just "melodramatic students" they were randomly selected. In less extreme examples, the power of group think and mob mentality and appeals to authority have been shown credible again and again in experimental conditions.

Didn't BBC redo this experiment IRL a while back?

youtube.com/watch?v=frMMrkJVnUQ

Because in real prison you'll get your shit fucked up by people who know what they're doing and have actual weapons, not to mention added years to your sentence.

Here they were doing make-believe and their "guards" were skinny college students armed with sticks.

Everyone responding to this seems to miss the point that it was a poorly performed experiment where the environment actively encouraged the behavior of the people involved and as such should be disregarded as any statement on human nature.

You're completely right

Put words in my mouth please daddy. Obviously hollywoods gonna make it more interesting but im saying they made it completely different to where it was basically not the original experiment at all.

When did i say this?

*Thats not weak pussy human behavior. Anybody who legitimatly whole heartedl wanted to leave wouldve gotten out. These dudes were cucks who liked the drama

>randomly selected
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahHAHhahHAhhHAhahahaHhAHhah

Randomly selected from a pool of well-off, twenty-something, post-grad psychology students in 1970s California.

What a representative sample we have of the world at large...

The plural of goy is goyim.

I really enjoyed the movie.

>college hippies
>pussys
Pick 2

I literally just did a school project on this what the fuck

So you knew they were going to change it, but you are upset it's not accurate?