How can anyone actually defend this record? Kurt Cobain loved it and now loads of critics call it a masterpiece...

How can anyone actually defend this record? Kurt Cobain loved it and now loads of critics call it a masterpiece. Apparently it's free jazz though they cleared didn't have that in mind when they were recording this. Why is this LP so acclaimed when it genuinely is terrible

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LoRE6TjfVBk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm with ya OP. I feel like people only enjoy that album because they're told to.

Is supposedly a so bad is good, but actually think is a so bad it's fucking horrible. Also, who the fuck says is free jazz?

Ikr. Like yeah it's """"free jazz"""" and it's "innovative" r something but if I want actual music like that then I listen to idk Captain Beefheart or Ornette Coleman. They can actually write/play

The difference really is that people who make free jazz music are actually trying to sound that way instead of being musically inept

>Apparently it's free jazz
Stopped reading right there. Have a sage.

Because it's fun.
It's like The Room or the wicker man, it's fun to see such catastrophic failures.

But anyone who pretends it has any other merit is actually just pretending, either for comedic effect or to pose as a counter-culture intellectual, in which case, fuck him.

youtube.com/watch?v=LoRE6TjfVBk
They were musically inept and forced to make a pop album. That's what happened. Even their recording engineer confirmed it.

Oh I know. Still trash

I have a hard time believing that anyone who enjoys this album isn't just telling themselves that they do. I've even had people say to me that they're surprised I don't like it since I like Daniel Johnston, which to me makes no sense at all

It is genuinely terrible user, you're right. It's an enigma of music and a symbol of grotesque musical aesthetics

because Zappa was a troll.

Do people "like" this record just because Frank and Kurt Cobain liked it?

>The conceptual beginning of The Shaggs came from Austin Wiggin's mother who, when her son was young, had predicted during a palmreading that he would marry a strawberry blonde woman, that he would have two sons after she had died, and that his daughters would form a popular music group. The first two predictions proved accurate, so Austin set about making the third come true as well.[8] Austin withdrew his daughters from school, bought them instruments, and arranged for them to receive music and vocal lessons. The Wiggin sisters themselves never planned to become a music group, but as Dot later said, "[Austin] was something of a disciplinarian. He was stubborn and he could be temperamental. He directed. We obeyed. Or did our best."
Stop having this discussion with people who don’t know the story of the shaggs

I usually wouldn't say something like this but geez what a pleb

it's bad to the point it becomes fascinating

it's the proof that monkeys on a typewriter can really write a work of Shakespeare

No one actually enjoys it or listens to it, it's jsut for fun because the story is interesting.

I saw the lead singer's solo band open for NMH and it was cringey as all fuck.

It's awful, but it's not awful on purpose like Trout Mask Replica. It's not the work of a talented band making a shitty album, it's a work of a terrible band making a terrible album in an incredibly honest way.

It's easy to laugh at or dismiss, but it's worth listening to because of how pure the intentions of the album are.

>Pure intentions
>they didn’t even want to do it
People can’t read

no, I was answering "How can anyone actually defend this record?"

Shaggs songs are one of my favorite non-profane ways of trolling twitch song requests though

>it's a work of a terrible band making a terrible album in an incredibly honest way.

so William Hung of the late 1960s

Yes, they didn't want to do it. That doesn't mean that their intentions weren't pure. You can't listen to songs like My Pal Foot Foot or Who Are Parents? and think that there's anything more to them than what you take at face value.

Knowing their story doesn't automatically make their music good, you silly ding dong.