Hey, let's charge these massive elephants head on! That'll do!

>Hey, let's charge these massive elephants head on! That'll do!

Seriously, if Aragorn didn't show up his entire army would have been decimated and the Orcs would have swarmed the city again. What was he trying to accomplish? Was Theoden King retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q1uhAz9_v9A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, he was just suicidal. I think it is quite clear than he only fights to die historical.

>it's another thread of Sup Forums poster trying to insert their own logic into movie characters
It's like you all faggots caught autism overnight.

there really wasn't anything he COULD have done though. Those elephants would have BTFO Gondor's remaining defenses, and putting his men inside the castle would have been stupid, seeing how Rohan men fight best when on horseback. They even did manage to destroy a few of them

He was well aware that he lacked the numbers to have a good chance of savimg Minas Tirith. But he was willing to try anyway, because if he didn't all of Middle Earth was fucked. He was also more willing to trust Aragorn and Gandalf after the events of The Two Towers. Just like the Fellowship's entire quest, Theoden going to war against Sauron has almost no chance of succeeding, but doing nothing isn't really an option.

It was actually a mass ritual sacrifice of white males.

So you, faggot, admit to only being here for 1 day?

This. That's what makes his speech so great. They all knew they were going to die.

>that charge at the Mumakil
>that initial headswing and the ensuing slaughter

Seriously, how bad ass were the Mumakil

The Mumaks were the best part of RotK.

In the books, Rohirrim knew well enough to keep away from the elephants and let archers shoot them in the eyes. But sound tactics and patience are boring and the third film was already a pile of hot garbage, so why not feed the elephants XP, instakill ghost army is about to come off cooldown any minute now anyway.

>I go to my fathers, in whose mighty company, I shall not now feel ashamed.

Yeah. Good shit.

Don't forget the horns.

>pfhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnggggNNGGnnnnnnnnnggggggNNGhnnnngNHNGGnnggHNGG

The fact that the music stops right when the first impact hits is great, adds to the slaughter after the initial herioism

The movie clearly shows that Theoden didn't notice the mumukil until after his horsemen had passed through the line of orcs. Once you have that many cavalry charging at once it's difficult to get them to stop, so he said to hell with it and hoped they'd be able to act on their initiative.

Doesn't he say like "form up a line" or some shit? But yeah the scene was retarded as shit, any other way of dealing with the oliphants would've been better

The haradrim weren't sent into battle until after the rohirim were fucking up the orcs because.

RIDE NOW

RIDE TO RUIN AND THE WHITE RACES ENDING

>Theoden King

Very nice. Well played.

Blame the hack that made the film.

It was a last, chivalrous stand against an enemy they thought had basically already won. They just wanted to stall him and do as much damage as possible for the wane hope of allowing some other people to escape. It was a last stand, they knew they were gonna get defeated and middle-earth would fall.

>it's a "Sup Forums tries to find plotholes in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien plothole-proofed the entire fucking universe" episode

>ride now
>ride now
>ride now
>ride for wrath
>ride for ruin
>and the world's ending
>death

This. What else could he have done? Their best chances of just making a tiny dent in Saurons army was attacking head on.

And like the user said, he trusted Aragon and Gandalf enough to keep the attacking army occupied long enough for help to arrive.

>Doesn't he say like "form up a line" or some shit? But yeah the scene was retarded as shit, any other way of dealing with the oliphants would've been better

What other practical way is there to deal with it? The Haradrim reinforcements were rapidly approaching and he didn't have time to set up a fucking war council to decide the most clever maneuver. Furthermore, they had likely never fought the Mumakil in their entire history and had no idea what their actual battle usage would be. For all he knew they could be nothing more than mobile archer towers and wouldn't be particularly useful for directly taking on his cavalry.

Considering the serious time restraints due to the rapidly approaching reinforcements and the fact he would reasonably have no idea about the tactical details of fighting Mumakils, he took pretty much the only choice his army had other than just retreating.

If only they were smart like the Romans.

kekd

All things considered, it was still a pretty epic charge. That first mumakil winding up and delivering the first blow is still tingle inducing badassery.

youtube.com/watch?v=q1uhAz9_v9A

It truly is. The look on Theoden's face as he sees them approaching, the chanting, the horn,hnnng.

Also from what I can tell after the initial charge, they did basically start to encircle the oliphants. And while it would have been better to take the outer ones out at first, then repeat until all are dead, some men have to be sacrificed to get the attention of the Haradim. Also, how the hell is he supposed to create a battle tactic and give it out to every one of the fucking riders, especially against something they've probably never faced. A a seasoned rider of Rohan would know what to do against orcs and trolls and what not, but against something you've never faced with no tactics ever given/known for easily taking them down, you do what you can. Ride as fast as you can throw spears and axes, shoot arrows, and hope you come out alive...

>Also from what I can tell after the initial charge, they did basically start to encircle the oliphants. And while it would have been better to take the outer ones out at first, then repeat until all are dead, some men have to be sacrificed to get the attention of the Haradim. Also, how the hell is he supposed to create a battle tactic and give it out to every one of the fucking riders, especially against something they've probably never faced. A a seasoned rider of Rohan would know what to do against orcs and trolls and what not, but against something you've never faced with no tactics ever given/known for easily taking them down, you do what you can. Ride as fast as you can throw spears and axes, shoot arrows, and hope you come out alive...

Throwing a spear at their face would probably kill one considering you're adding their speeds together in addition to whatever the rider is capable of throwing the spear at.

Pic unrelated.

Ur not adding their speeds, ur adding velocity. Haven't u ever taken physics before idiot

lol, you gave me the chills, how weird is that?

Doesn't exactly work when the oliphants were the only remaining targets and they'd wreck the walls of Minas tirith

God lotr is so great

inorite

nigger rohans charge is the most epic scene in the history of cinema, and LOTR is the goat trilogy, fuck u all. theoden is an example of honor, courage and spirit of sacrifice, he dies trying to save the white race

>save the white race
In so far as he is trying to save everyone, and that white people are a part of everything, then yes.

Then how about flank them

But it's a line. You try to flank them and the line splits in two making two fronts and you end up in the exact same position.

He's not saving orcs, and orcs are part of everything.
Besides there isn't much on their sides beyond white people. Elves are white.

There are lots of non-white people in middle earth. The biggest battle in the whole war is taking place around the same time as this battle where Sauron is defeated by non-whites.

The horses are simply faster. Everytime some gib as phant turns or does any maneuver the riders attack from another side. Those beasts would eventually flee regardless what their rides want.

Just learn to tactic.

>light cavalry charging head on
>into tightly packed infantry
>into massed pikes
>into super-elephants
>armored men are weightless and die the moment you touch them so you can just ride through them like they're a cloud of feathers

Imagine watching a western, a very good western, but every time there's a shootout everyone spins the barrels on their revolvers and sprays automatic fire out of them for minutes on end.

The secret is to set them on fire. I mean they're packed with a metric fuckton of wood. Just shoot some burning arrows and they panic

All you are suggesting is to just have a bunch or horses fight the mumakil with no formation which is exactly what happened anyway.

Most woods require a fuckload of energy to burn. A couple of burning arrows are going to do jack. It also requires them to be able to have fire arrows which they don't seem to be able to do. It sounds stupid but it's why firewalls are not uncommonly made out of wood.

Form small squats of riders which encirlce individuals and get a secound group flanking them
Repeat

Fuck you for reminding me how awful that show and its stupid battles were.

And they are meant to organise this with no communication and 12 seconds of preparation how?

Oh fuck its him!

>Sup Forums tries to accurately type out LOTR horns

>SONS OF AMERICA! OF EUROPE! MY BROTHERS
>A DAY MAY COME WHEN THE COURAGE OF WHITE MEN FAILS

Why was Bill Bailey in LOTR?

Millions of people that have seen the movies have no idea theoden has an inferiority complex. He is the descendent of great kings and during his time Rohan has suffered. it's why he is eager to prove himself in suicidal charges. If he can do something great and meet death head on with no fear, he can rest easy.

Before his great speech he also tells his men 'forth and fear no darkness. He basically says I order you not to be afraid

>burning arrows
You are aware that shit isn't real, right?

Really? You think their spikey tusks would do anything to thick stone walls? If that were the case, why weren't they doing it already? I don't think they were there for the siege - they were there to back up the siege army in case it was attacked... like it was.

reminder that this didn't happen in the novels and was Peter Jackson's "tactical" decision making

Thank god he did. Battle at the Pelennor's field is so fucking epic.

IIRC ON PELENNOR IN TOLKIENVERSE

>ARAGORN BRINGS TWO DOZEN ELITE RANGERS AND AN UBERMENSCH OR TWO ELVES
>KNIGHTS OF DOL AMROTH ARE TO ROHAN WHAT ROHAN IS TO EVERYONE ELSE
>ELEPHANTS WERE MORE REALISTICALLY SIZED
>BATTLES ARE WRITTEN LIKE THE BIBLE, NOT 12 YEAR OLD PJ WAR FANTASIES

That would look dull.

No, Jackson was pretty accurate with the oliphant size

Aragorn and eomer having a "last stand" is kino

Is there a more based character in cinema history than Theoden?

At Helm's Deep across the Deeping Wall?

I remember Aragorn and Imrahil fighting beside each other at Pelennor, and it wasn't a last stand I think it was from Merry's point of view and he saw them as "masters of war" who didn't get a scratch.

based Scipio

CLASSIC
L
A
S
S
I
C

Meanwhile in the real world:
>"A large Japanese fleet has been contacted. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

jesus white race?!?!