I need help from guitar Sup Forumsros

I need help from guitar Sup Forumsros

I've played for a year but still feel like I suck, I'd like to play in a band eventually

What should I practice on? vocaroo.com/i/s0JaxhZlU3qp

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-6Kqr8FVHMk
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guitar/Open_Chords
youtube.com/watch?v=qYtGOKfV8N4
vocaroo.com/i/s0JCfh2vBwuQ
vocaroo.com/i/s1AMNFNJodQa
guitarbackingtrack.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Learn every song you like guitar wise and just keep practicing harder and harder songs

Have you been a guitar player for a year, or a guitar owner for a year?

start off with something simple:

youtube.com/watch?v=-6Kqr8FVHMk

Playing guitar for a year, I finally bought a Strat 2 months ago and love it(not pic related though)

>Playing guitar for a year

like..once a month?

Practice everyday. There arnt too many secrets. Just practice

Don't read tabs. Learn to read music. Learn every one of your scales and practice them religiously. After years you'll develop some skill if you keep with it

In all honesty, it doesn't sound like you've put a lot of work into your recording.

Get out of thinking in years. think in terms of hours that you've been playing, because those are what really count. If you're disciplined, put in the hours, and challenge yourself, you can be part of a band in two years, easy.

Work on the basics. Learn to read music notation--you'll be glad you took the time later. Practice scales all over the neck. Practice chords and inversions, and learn what makes them what they are; learn chord construction.

It sounds like a lot, and it is, but if you really want to be good at this, you need to do stuff like this.

Daaah, take lessons.

Is it that bad?

sounds good! get some sick pedals + amp if you're able, those are always motivating

can you play chords? learn open chords + power chords, buy a capo, and BAM you can play almost anything. when learning a chord i like to play it for 5 seconds, wave my hand around to "forget" the shape, find the shape again, and repeat

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guitar/Open_Chords

while watching TV practice alternate picking, chords, etc. its all about building muscle memory.

personally i disagree with the dude saying to learn to read sheet music. i found it boring and discouraging. to each their own tho. i highly recommend Bobby Crispy on youtube. huge chance he has a song you like somewhere

youtube.com/watch?v=qYtGOKfV8N4

I sat in my room in the basement as a teen (14) playing guitar. Always thinking i was shit, never took any compliments, and always kept grinding. This was good for improvement, but bad for morale. Having extremely low confidence is killer. It wasnt until 2 years later at guitar class my junior year of highschool, i realized i was good. People told me how talented i was and would just laugh when i played. Never understood why they laughed until i realized thats what people do when theyre impressed. Had the girls that were in there swooning and the guys asking me to teach them riffs. Coulda snagged some high quality tang if i wasnt such a socially awkward turbo autist. The only way you can get better is from feedback from others, and your own judgement. You are your harshest critic. Use it to your advantage, or let it eat you alive. Unlesa you just suck, in that case; practice more.

I started off learning power chords (most simple, yet effective thing a guitarist should learn) because I learned the iron man riffs. After playing around I realised that the first power chord with the open g string (3rd string standard tuning) resembled the intro to fade to black and after that I was hooked, I kept going more and more every day I came back from school
My problem that held me back was I didn't take the time to practice with a pick and just downstrummed with my thumb for about a year and half, when I realised my fretting was too advanced for my picking I decided to learn to use one.
I then just played constant over and over until songs sounded more right.
It's good to find music you love that isn't too complex and keep moving up in difficulty as you go along.
M3rkmus1c has some good advice videos worth looking up too, and If you're that invested into learning get yourself some lessons, a lot of people pick it up themselves but it never hurts to have help, good luck user

A year isn't enough time to become great.

Are you taking lessons, if not, why?

Put at least an hour into your playing everyday with your full attention. No half ass practicing, really learn everything about your instrument and how it works. Learn that correct techniques and do what it takes to get you there.

it's not bad for someone who kinda sorta tries to play for half an hour once every other week

the fact that you can and still play after a year is a good sign though, most people who set out to learn forget about it after the first month or so

if you really want to get better, you'll dedicate the time to playing. if you really want to get better sooner jump on youtube and start learning from the thousands of videos. at the very least, play the thing as often as you can, while watching tv, taking a shit, whatever works, even if it's just making noise

vocaroo.com/i/s0JCfh2vBwuQ

Is this as bad?

that's not bad, now do it 300 more times

Still not great, sounds like youre starting to get the hang of playing differant strings? Learn chords, start off basic, A B C D E F G but don't cram them all in at once, then work between chords and try different chord progressions that you like (just variate between them in a way that sounds good to you)

vocaroo.com/i/s1AMNFNJodQa

Some barre chords from a song I really like. How does it sounds like? I've honestly never heard any comments regarding my chords/strumming. All these are first attempts

Been playing for 3 years, mainly electric but recently lot of acoustic. Practice is the real key to progression. What also works for me is to find new ways to play, say fingerstyle or making my own bottleneck slides etc. Learn your minor pentatonics and try playing by ear when you're confident enough. Keep it interesting and fun and play the music that lights your fuse. You can also try enjoy a big mug of black coffee before session, yesterday I felt like Santana at Woodstock and ripping pentatonics like Angus after one.

I've been playing for 15 years, and actually am currently playing while idly browsing. Just keep at it, find songs you like and learn them, even if you suck at them first, just slow them down and keep practicing them until you get it, then start speeding up. Then put the actual song on and play along with it. Just don't start with Steve Vai or anything crazy like that. What it all comes down to is the amount of hours you put into it, and it always feels like you're not getting any better even though you are, just more slowly than you'd hope.

you have a decent grasp of strumming chords, doesn't sound like shit

can you play the same thing arpeggio, picking one string after another in the chord instead of strumming it?

>vocaroo.com/i/s1AMNFNJodQa
That is a lot better.

You want to play in a band soon? Learn your favorite song, then go to guitarbackingtrack.com/ and play along with it, record yourself and compare yourself to the original.

Rocksmith. It works!

Pro tip: take this chord shape and just move it up and down the neck. You'll get any major chord with it.