Can everyone just finally admit that Bob Dylan is a cheap imitator of Woody Guthrie?

Can everyone just finally admit that Bob Dylan is a cheap imitator of Woody Guthrie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BH2DJvgNlMA
youtube.com/watch?v=pkvf7HcMiLo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ginsberg too.

The velvet underground ripped off Dylan

>bob dylan
made rock music an art form
>woody guthri
eh?

>The Virgin Guthrie
>The Chad Dylan

Everyone eventually ripped off Dylan. That's the saddest part.

Obviously. The guy even wrote a song for Woody because he idolized him so much.

I mean he was clearly an imitator at first, but to call it "cheap" is ridiculous. And regardless, once he had got to the electric albums (which is what really solidified him as an integral figure) he had completely embraced his own style. Desolation Row is in no way a cheap imitation of Woody Guthrie.

>not George Harrison's sons
I can't unsee that now, shit.

>muh dust

allen ginsberg was a poet tho lol
poetephile

this

who ripped off Dylan? Genuinely curious?

So was Dylan

Rubber Soul

influenced is the better word. And pretty much every rock musician from the 60s on

the 'country crooning' style of singing has been around before Dylan, Guthrie, for example Tom Petty uses that style but no one notices it

How was Rubber soul a rip off of Dylan?

> uses
Used

Ftfy

he's not officially dead yet

in 1962 his obsession was bordering on sheer silliness, but only a year after that he was on his own two legs as both a songwriter and a performer

this t b h

>The Virgin Guthrie
>The Chad Dylan
a singer who raised spirits of people in the depression, his mother burned his sister alive
>Virgin
go suck a nigger dick you fucking trustfund baby bitch

Absolutely, just listen to this shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=BH2DJvgNlMA
youtube.com/watch?v=pkvf7HcMiLo

You can hear the difference in someone who actually lived through the Dust Bowl vs. someone who is just trying to sound humble.

Dylan's electric shit is solid though.

This pretty much.

ntu

sorry i meant to say "nut"

I'm sorry wtf.

>the Virgin butthurt commie

nut

have you guys ever listened to titus andronicus "The monitor?" its from the 60s and has the same kinda contemporary commentary that guthrie does

>With God on Our Side
>Desolation Row
I take your point (and This Land is Your Land should really be the national anthem) but /thread

Dylan is the most overrated hack ever

Being influenced by =/= rip-off. Everyone knows Woody is his biggest influence but he makes it his own thing.

I love Dylan, he's one of my favorite artists, but everything about him is fake. Woody went through real shit in his life, he went through the dust bowl and the depression, people around him suffered and he suffered with them. He was a real dude who wasn't in it to get laid or be famous.

We're all in it to get laid and be famous.

>running away from home
>young, non-commercial fame
>commercial fame
>hard drug addiction
>conversion from Judaism to fundamentalist Christianity
>that near death illness from the the bird shit germs
>MTV Unplugged saving his legacy
>losing his voice
He's seen some shit. I saw him in like 2006 and is was said. He's a wreck. And to get through it, he tours. I would pay HBO money for Charlie Rose and Bruce Springsteen to pin him down for a 5-10hr series. I know Scorcese that thing but I never watched it and it didn't seem dark enough to pay for. Dylan almost died from chicken shit. Things should get dark.

recommend me some Bob Dylan albums

He might've started that way but he certainly didn't stay that way.
>electric albums
>solidified him as an integral figure
They furthered it, but I'm not sure they solidified it. Freewheelin', Times, and Another Side are all classics that established him as a big deal.

go in this order

(biograph)

all pop music started out as cheap imitations of folk artists. it started with skiffle bands (meaning guitar/banjo based)who would cover folk songs but often with urban style harmonies and classically trained voices. then the skiffle bands started writing their own music and the guitar lost its associations to american folk culture and thats essentially how pop music was born.

Dylan in particular was friends with Alan Lomax, and would hang out with Woody and other prominent folk singers in New York. The influence is expected.

dont be angry at Dylan, he just did what was done back then.

Everybody already knew that.
You're stating the obvious.

Yeah, why can't people admit THAT!

Why do jews want to be train hopping hill billies and rednecks so bad?

how is it being retarded

only relevant post in the whole thread

>Freewheelin', Times, and Another Side are all classics that established him as a big deal.

Yeah but because his songs resonated within the political climate of the time (with the possible exception of Another Side); he was just a really good songwriter in a sea of good songwriters.

Bringing It. Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde are entire different matters. They represent him separating himself from everybody else and succesfully becoming one of the most ifluential people of his era.

I don't think he's fake. He's suffered, just as everyone else. More or less. He's just playful and a bit ironic. I really can't see why you say he's a fake.

Everybody's looking for something different. Jews are no exception. Except they can do it without being taken seriously as rednecks. Nobody thinks that Bob Dylan would marry his cousin.

Did you mean:
>The Virgin Dylan
>The Chad Guthrie

even bob dylan would admit this, it's basically common knowledge

Phile means to love.

Paedopoet makes more sense.