I don't get the hype

Why is this album one of Davis's most praised early works?

I'll post my current ranking of his albums I've listened to so far (I've been going through chronologically by recording date).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OcIiu1kQMx0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's pretty boring if you ask me.

>Relaxin' is ahead of Kind of Blue

Innovative as hell musically speaking. It's nothing special if you don't understand the inner workings of jazz, but it's pretty much showing the way for jazz paayers to play any notes they'd like because there's one way to fit them into the same chord through the use of modes.

This pretty much means that if you know the basic harmony anything can work in this song.

Creative compositions that blend modality with blues forms and tonality.

Impeccable balance and contrast between the soloists. Davis is sparse and lyrical, Cannonball is bluesy, energetic and rooted in bebop. Coltrane embraces the modality and plays with the most forward-thinking harmonic and rhythmic sense.

The you've got Bill Evans backing it all up with his extremely unique voicings and delicate touch while Chambers and Cobb swing their tits off.

Freddie Freeloader is obviously the weak track, while Blue in Green and Flamenco Sketches are the clear best.

If you think this album is "boring" you don't get jazz.

Much like ITCOTCK or DSOTM, it's a great album but over played. And the man has better work, no doubt.

Jack Johnson, In A Silent Way and On The Corner are all really amazing works. Bitches Brew, of course, is the one everybody talks about. But much like KoB, there are better works. In A Silent Way is especially appealing to me.

I didn't. I liked it a lot.
I just didn't like the album as much as some of his other early works.

Personal ranking:
Blue in Green (obviously) > Flamenco Sketches > So What > Freddy Freeloader > All Blue

Because he created Modal Jazz with that album, it was unlike anything else at the time. He's done better stuff after that but for that point in his career it was pretty groundbreaking.

I am VERY excited to listen to his fusion and Jazz-Funk era, of course. It's my favorite kind of jazz. I just got a bit to go.

Currently listening to Sketches, actually.

BTW, am I alone in not liking Sketches of Spain? Parts of it are beautiful, but too much of it sounds shrill and harsh. Too much high end in the horns. It triggers tinnitus for me.

Almost all of Miles Davis' albums are mixed with the horns up too high. It's just the way it is.

Listen to what Bill Evans adds to the group his sound and the compositions (most of which he had a heavy hand in writing) are what separate Kind of Blue from Miles' earlier albums.

It's not that, it's the notes they're playing and the more high timbres of the songs that bug me. I listen to a lot of Miles and its his only album that hurts my ears.

Miles Davis's true masterpieces are his second quintet albums.

If you don't get why Kind of Blue is great I'd imagine that these albums will go WAYYY over your head though. If you listen to a lot more jazz and come back to them someday maybe you'll get it though.

Like I said I still enjoyed the album, it just wasn't the best I heard from him.

I am really, REALLY looking forward to the second quintet, actually. I like the musicians he worked with in that era so I have no doubt I'll love those albums

sounds you just like more traditional jazz and don't like experimentation in the genre.

You're probably going to have a lot of difficulty with his albums as you go on.

But that isn't true at all.
I love Jazz Funk/fusion.

At least he realizes that Miles Ahead is god-tier

is it going from top left as best and then every album following it horizontally?

It's funny because nobody here actually knows Muisc Thoery.

So do most people who hate jazz.

Yes. Left to right each row. Miles Ahead currently the best and Walkin currently the worst.

I never said hate.

Sketches has Gil Evans on it too and I'm loving it. Gil and him are a great combo.

ESSENTIAL:
1967-1975
1951-1957

NONESSENTIAL:
Everything else

Update.

Do you?

>blue text on dark blue background

It's only kind of blue

What Sup Forums thinks music theory is:

>Rule #1 Always play X no matter what
>Rule #2 Never play Y no matter what
>Rule #3 ALWAYS follow every rule no matter what
>Rule #4 If you learn all of these rules then you will automatically be able to transcribe and fully analyze a jazz solo in your head after just one listen

youtube.com/watch?v=OcIiu1kQMx0
one of Davis's underrated albums
check this out you shits
Red Garland is on the piano

sketches of spain is his best definitely

If you don't like Sketches or KoB then Jazz probably isn't for you.

>I listen to a lot of Miles
Kinda doubt that.

I will say, I'm not trained in jazz theory, but I know a little and studied classical. I think the album does go a bit long at points, like they didn't cut the tape for anything it feels like at points. Great tunes, I understand what it did and how it still impacts jazz to this day. But over time I've grown from thinking it was mind blowing to just like an 8

Yeah that's what fucking retards think is music. You take what you learn in theory and fuck with it. It's a blue print, not the actual laws.