Has there ever been a bigger fall from grace?

Has there ever been a bigger fall from grace?

Other urls found in this thread:

espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060224
proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020528
proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=1219764
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tbh it only made him greater, now he's got no restraints & can just speak his mind. His HBO show was a massive failure but his best work is as a podcast host anyways.

yes

>his best work is as a podcast host anyways.

>What is page 2

Fuck I'm old

His start up website is doing great, so is his podcast.

If anything, he's ascended rather than fallen.

but he has been worse since leaving e!spn. more annoying and more libertarded

I never actually followed him on page 2. e!spn really put that low on the budget back in the day.

You should check out some of his old work if you get a chance.

It was engaging, genuine and didn't involve his horrendous voice or dead eyes.

Even some of his grantland stuff was solid

Some of my favorites: espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060224

proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020528

proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=1219764

yea bill's early stuff, especially on the NBA is goat tier

He's definitely the most impactful sports writer in the last 20 years or so. But yeah, he's also become a hyper-shrill leftie apologist whose arrogance outweighs his talent, hence the two massive, massive failures now dominating his resume, Grantland and AGW. Sad!

Hernandez set the bar pretty high

Keith Olbermann at ESPN

Especially the whole Penn State thing.

grantland had a great collection of sportswriters. even the shit tier pop culture half of the site had some readable articles

Have you reread any of those articles recently? They're fucking garbage

He became popular because he was one of the first sportswriters to write in that blog style and was insanely productive

I see ESPN hiring him back, desu.

I still have prints from his old Page 2 work. Some of his work is fantastic, and nobody beat him when it came time to churn out an article.

The problem with The Ringer is that all the newer writer's articles are Bill articles with shittier references and done at a far more contrived rate. It's like they're parodying Bill.

Grantland had different types of writers, who were already established. The Ringer, instead, hired a bunch of young people because Bill thought that was the draw to Grantland.

Well, it turns out it wasn't, and most people I know didn't read younger guys like Rembert, they read the established names who were coming up like Lowe.

The Ringer on the otherhand, is full of proxy-Simmons clones who don't really write all that well. I used to like Shea Serrano on Grantland because his work was like Simmons ramblings on Page 2, but because of the other content, it actually felt like a breather.

Now on the Ringer, Serrano's writing is the main draw and I realized that he's pretty bad when he has to write an article every week on something that nobody gives a shit about.

Anyway, I'm just rambling because I really miss Grantland.

tl;dr Simmons isn't doing too bad, but I expect him to go back to ESPN and try to work with more established writers in a year.

The Ringer isn't half as good as Grantland but it's still a must-check-out every single day. I avoid all black and female writers on it however. Shea and N3twork are GOAT.

Hernandez or tiger woods

Bruce jenner

yep it was a true dream come true for him, and he was pretty damn good at picking talent. at the ringer he had to pick all guys who he probably passed over the first time, hence their "we're trying to be grantland but horribly fail" shtick

Grantland was doing great and well respected. New website is irrelevant and already forgotten

I wouldn't really say he fell from grace so much as ESPN and Disney fucked him over. It's hard to assign Bill any personal responsibility for the shit that has happened because he's done nothing but produce quality content.

He popularized a style of sports writing that only a few can do well, yet everyone is trying to do.

He created one of the best sports article websites ever in Grantland

He created the best sports documentary series ever in 30 for 30

He's a creative who doesn't want to compromise his values or who he is, so he got shafted by the fucking nightmare factory that is ESPN/ABC/Disney/NFL

Fuck off Bill, go suck Obama's cock

the problem with The Ringer is that all of his Grantland writers are on ESPN, or went elsewhere, before he could get the infrastructure.

The Ringer is really just, a couple of the Grantland guys who were good but not great. And, a bunch of college grads that can't really write anything decent.

Bill really thought that people went on Grantland for the "youth" even though they were never the biggest draw.

He also thought that the layout was an issue. Nobody used Grantland on their phones, because the articles were so long, and full of footnotes. Ringer looks all gaudy because Bill wanted it to be a site for mobile phones..

Bill thought that by becoming a mobile-friendly site, it would draw more people; all it has done is made less people visit his new site, because the articles are either: too short, lists, or something superfluous. While Grantland and Simmons on Page 2 had a bunch of fluff articles, these were in between off seasons or part of an already long piece. All of this, has lead to shittier articles made by decent to mediocre writers.

Like look at some of the stuff Serrano is writing for them. These are things that could be tweeted, instead of shoved on the front page. And this is coming from someone who was a huge fan of his twitter, books and Grantland work.

I hope that Bill hires somebody that does the recruiting for him, because I don't think the site would be as bad, if the writing wasn't so cheap.

what happened to him?

When I followed the NBA this guy and skiiiip were the only ones worth listening to.

guy was always an overrated clown

This

Simmons is based and I don't even like Boston teams. I started reading the guy every week like 18 years ago. He lived the dream. Parlayed sitting around talking about sports into a million dollar bank account and access to the top stars and events

Reminder if you're a Bill Simmons hater you are a jealous cuck just like Deadspin

Dunno I think he's still hanging in there

>plugs the ringer every time he's given airtime

Sad!

Underrated post.

hes good when he talks sports, when he has people like gucci mane on he tries to get on there level and its really cringey

>the resistance

what website is this? never heard of it

i loved page 2 and the bs report, i abandoned ship around the time he left ESPN because he was turning into too much of a princess

He was badass roasting Ped State students

grantland worked because he had the appeal of working (essentially) for ESPN, which was THE premier sports site at the time. so he could draw in tremendously talented writers who just wanted the platform.

his new site doesn't have that appeal at all, so he's not getting the talent level interested in him.

it's the difference between Barcelona and Criciuma EC. Nobody wants to play at Criciuma EC, everyone wants to play at Barca

Never forget

btfo