Daily Reminder

This album saved rock.

youtube.com/watch?v=dPjVlkcai78

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mos_01Caq-8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't know what to say but, yeah, i mean is a solid album.

No it didn't. Besides this album having solid tracks, it brought nothing new to the table and it's not like it sparked more people to write music like this. There already has been people writing this type of music for ages, this album just caught attention by luck and became somewhat commercially successful. And if you think a single commercial rock album receiving commercial popularity is "saving rock" then you're delusional. Not a bad album though.

nah
mac demarco is doing more for rock than tame impala

With tom petty dying it made me think. Petty was a singles guy instead of a albums guy. The modern music landscape is based off getting your singles streaming. Not albums. Actually the tom petty route of just spamming memorable singles might be the way to go for modern rock music oddly enough

eh, i'd argue that the entire australian psyche scene's popularity abroad is heavily indebted to tame impala

no one would've heard of anything being produced in the land down under without kev

>australian psyche scene
this is the biggest misnomer ever, there's no scene, it's a few bands on opposite ends of the country who take notes from 60s and 70s psych rock who have gotten big internationally, that hardly constitutes a scene

hip hop is already doing that. too late
rock's going to have go the spam tons of music route

>only one genre is allowed to one thing at one time

You scared rap boy?

>You scared rap boy?
I don't even like majority of rap. im just telling u how the mainstream works
they already got shit like imagine dragons, foo fighters and AM's shitty pop rock as the gatekeepers.

even back when nirvana was dominating. rap wasn't doing much. thats just how it works in those woods

imagine being this wrong

>mac demarco is doing more for rock than tame impala

how?

nah 10 popular australian psych bands right now

just go on youtube and search mac demarco covers.
bunch of kids are picking up guitars trying to be like him.
he already has copycats like youtube.com/watch?v=mos_01Caq-8

tame impala prob does have a wider fanbase but what kevin did on currents/lonerism isn't something 90% of upcoming musicians will not pull off by themselves in their bedrooms.

>bunch of kids are picking up guitars trying to be like him.

Yea, but is that "saving" rock? Not so much a quantitative measure, but something more qualitative.

it basically took me ~1.5 years to buy all my pedals and my recording equipment and now i can happily suck his dick all day recording my ultra hot lonerism ripoffs all day

>Yea, but is that "saving" rock? Not so much a quantitative measure, but something more qualitative.
yes it is. more ppl playing and some talented groups will come out. thats how its working in rap atm. tons of fucking guys are trying to make "bangers"

what exactly is "saving" rock? like, what's gonna bring rock back into the mainstream? why would you want that?

besides, there are still bands, there are still scenes, there are still diy shows and tours and bars and concert halls, literally the only thing that changed is that it isn't dominating the charts.

i get to see the best bands of my lifetime for like $10 and then hang out with them after a show.

so yeah, kids are picking up guitars because of mac, they're also picking up guitars because of tame impala and because of countless other bands -- old and new, just as always. just it isn't on the charts, and who cares?

>just as always. just it isn't on the charts, and who cares?
no its just majority of it is just average releases right now.
even mac and tame impala is stuff is a 7/10 at best

last good rock related album that blew me away. was a fucking swan release.

it depends on what kind of rock you like, i guess. i feel like this decade is miles better than the last, which was dominated by pop oriented indie cindy shit and industry plants.

the 2010s are pretty much the best decade in a long time in terms of garage rock, psyche rock, hardcore punk, and post punk.

In terms of major psych rock bands there's Tame and Pond on the west coast, then the Flightless bands (King Gizzard, Murlocs, Babe Rainbow) in Melbourne
Of course there's many smaller local bands, but nothing as concrete as to call it a psych rock scene