Does Sup Forums have any tips on learning guitar?

Does Sup Forums have any tips on learning guitar?
I'm a complete beginner and i need advice.

practice a lot

Get apps that play with you and give feedback on your performance

Learn Tab first. Find basic 1- 2 string riffs. Practice. Move on to power chords. Practice. Move on to harder music. Practice. PRACTICE. PRAAAAAAAAAACTIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE

Practice
Takes time

For 80 you can learn basics at yours local music store. Good intro

just dont guitar is for gays

1: what type of music do you want to play?
2: acoustic or electric and what gear do you have?
3: buy superglue to cover your fingertips when they break in the first few weeks

1.i dont really know what type of music i want to play. 2.i have an acoustic and an electric but no amp.

i learned on an acoustic but an electric is easier on the fingers so i don't know

Find songs or music genres you're passionate about, so that you dont get frustrated in the first few weeks.

Get a quality instrument, used gear is your best bet. You dont wanna start off with a shitty instrument, you need to train your ears with fine sound.

Unless you have a perfect pair of ears, playing by ear when startimg out is a long shot. You need to spend a lot of time learning how the different chords and notes sound. Once you're comfortable with that, playing by ear should be much easier. Muscle memory and a good sense of pitch are VERY important

The 3 Ps of guitar learning:
- Practice
- Practice
- Practice

Expect to spend 6 months to play basic chords (major, minor, 7s, etc) in fast sucession cleanly and arpeggios. 2 years to nail solos cleanly or play in a band where people actually enjoy your playing instead of just having you as a member because kicking you out would be impolite.

All of this assuming you're an average folk like me and not a prodigy or someone who takes intensive lessons and has enough spare time time to practice more than 2 hours daily.

G C and D chords are in literally every song ever written. Practice alternating those daily.

An electric with no amp means you don't have an electric
Quality instrument is good but honestly owning 10+ guitars in 6, 7, and 8 strings my favorite is a 100$ pawnshop find
My best advice? If you want to play coffee shops and learn what an A minor diminished means, take lessons.
My method? Join a band or two that play music you like and fuck theory. My brother and sister in law are both music teachers, my last main band the other guitarist is a music teacher, and I couldn't give 2 fucks about theory. I'm one of the best guitarists I know, I can copy anything when shown, and am perfectly happy with this.

Oh, and I highly recommend drop-D tuning over standard, or other variants such as drop-C, or in my weird case drop-G. (Yes, metal dag reporting in)

Aim high, play your favorite songs, fail over and over until you nail that shit
Then slap some musical theory in there and start writing your own licks
Can't play them? Doesn't matter, practice practice practice get some real blood and sweat in there
Oh and don't get stuck on Power Chords, sure they sound great but it's easy to get stuck there and think that there isn't more to it

Don't do this
Get comfortable with the standard tuning first

Just swallow your pride and take lessons. You'll progress a lot faster than just trying to do it on your own. By yourself, it's easy to get frustrated and just give up.

Drop-tuning advocate here: 7 string is great for this as a compromise. Standard-tuned 6 strings with the low B tuned down 2 A, gives you the best of both worlds.

7 strings, 77 dubs checked.

If he gives up easily, he doesn't have what it takes. Being spoonfed can only get you so far.

This is why I recommended joining a band. They'll push you, and you'll have to learn to be on stage. Best method to learn.

Dropped tuning gives and takes. I think it really comes down to the style of music being played.

Look up how to properly hold a pick and practice alternate picking from the start. It'll help a lot down the road.

>my favorite is a 100$ pawnshop find
Is it brand-name or a chinese knock-off? Is it a high-end/midrage model or entry level stuff? Gems can be found, that's for sure.

First realization when you join a band: NOW I HAVE TO LEARN WHOLE SONGS AND NOT JUST INTROS HOLY SHIT

>that feel when you know so many intros and literally no outros

You mean going up-down-up-down instead of just strumming downwards? Or is it some string skipping/sweeping kind of witchcraft?

Can't be fucked to google it. Spoonfeed me.

Yeah up-down-up-down, even when changing strings. It's crucial in order to play fast and clean and keeps your wrist from getting tired as fast since it's more efficient.

It's a stock RG (not a Gio) and I have Prestige series S and RG that perform comparably. I primarily play Ibanez and ESP, but feel strongly that with half decent pickups/amp and a straight neck it is more about the player than the gear.

Learn triplets and find a pick hold you're comfy with, not just what a demo / book says.

Oh, missed your Q: Jap made. My Info models are basically identical.
Exactly!
>play this or we kill you if you embarass us
Best motivation.

Indo*

This is one of the first hurdles the begginer guitar player has to get around. I was never too good at fingering so playing arpeggios with a pick forced me to learn this early on.

I used to play guitar, I'm now more of a drums guy, but I can tell you learning how to control a drumstick's rebound is just as important (and basic) as alternate picking.

starting in drop tunings is bad habit forming.

start off getting comfy in drop then switch to standard - 'oh god wtf its like i have to learn this stupid thing all over again'

start off getting comfy playing in standard and switch to drop - 'oh that was easy drop is lazy kek'

>that pic

I lost my shit

fag

>Learn CAGED
>Learn jazz chords
>Learn chord progressions
>Learn arpeggios
>Learn pentatonic

Report back.

Yeah that's kind of what I was trying to say: looking for good used gear is probs a better bet than getting newly manufactured entry level stuff, even though gems can be found at the low tier.

Also yes, a good player can make a crappy guitar sound good, though it might /does take more effort.

This is like saying starting off with two kick drums means you can't play single kick. It's different, not wrong, and the chords are just as intricate. (Granted I usually play notes rather than chords, but at 200-240 bpm) I feel strongly that it depends on what kind of music you want to play.

Sup Forumsrofist (You)

Thx,me too
(You)re gay

kys newfag

>starting off with two kick drums

This does create bad habits. Developing your chops around kit elements that wont always be available is a bad idea.

Back to the issue at hand, no one's saying learning dropped before standard completely hinders your skills. It's just easier to go from EADGBE to EADGBD than vice-versa.

(You) too!
>tfw nearly 40 and I've spent like 10% of my life here :/
Remember, you're here forever.

make a routine for practicing at least 2 - 3 hours a day, if you do it for 14 days that will become an habit so, start when you can, as a plus you should read some books and stuff about it and some hand dexterity exercises, DONT FUCKING SKIP A FUCKING DAY FAGGOT you skip you lose so dont cheat and at least practice a few minutes FOCUSED on it, practicing or studding 4 hours before bed its good tho, those are the hours where you learn more. gl

That isn't what I meant at all...
DADGBE is drop-D Sup Forumsro
Thus my switch to 7 string, AEADGBE (although now I tune all down one step further) You're talking jazz tunings, I'm talking rock / metal.

I've been here longer

practice

thats... no. youre a meal fag right? plenty of riffs and music use primarily power chords right? im saying that if he learns to play guitar in drop d it may bite him in the ass later, because ive seen new players fall into the habit of relying on one-finger chords too many times. there are too many mealheads who think drop tuning and mashing one finger chords resembles playing guitar.

if he starts off in standard tuning, when hes comfy with that and tries drop tuning, it will take all of about 5 minutes to adjust, as opposed to having to get confident playing proper shapes all over again cus he got reliant on one-finger chords.

there's a thread on

>DADGBE
Doh!
See? This is what happens when I spend too much time away from playing guitar. Such a stupid mistake haha.

>I might need to get some sleep now
>fuck these captchas

I'm into drumming and I'm guilty of skipping several days a week. I know, I could be playing so much better with a little more discipline.

Yeah keep music chat on its board.

Sup Forums is for traps and loli

git gud

what gear would you recommend?

>superglue to cover your fingertips
pussy. forge your callouses in conflagrating fire like everyone else

No fucking way. Learn standard tuning first or you'll get too used to just barring the top three strings like a retard.

I have absolutely no idea man haha, I'm a drummer now.

I might get executed for saying this but you could always look for used Fender Stratocasters and Gibson Les Pauls or SGs. If on a tight budget, look for their cheaper counterparts: Squier and Epiphone (respectively).

Then there's Ibanez, ESP, Schecter, Kramer et al.

>im an absolute beginner pls halp
>yeah op you should start with alternative tunings and custom 7 string guitars
is this the effect that metal has on the brain?

Avoid knock offs/clones such as Harley-Benton, Greco, Palmer, Suzuki, etc.

These *might* make decent guitars but making them sound great will cost more money anyway because you're most likely going to need to replace the pickups.

>I'm not a robot

bad meme