Looking to join the US Air Force/Navy, Sup Forums, currently in AFJROTC (only for the enlistment bonus...

Looking to join the US Air Force/Navy, Sup Forums, currently in AFJROTC (only for the enlistment bonus, I don't act like a faggot by acting like I'm better than others).

Any advice, Sup Forums? Military anons preferred.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjJ5-rh263YAhWLDMAKHdYcAs0QtwIILDAB&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VADyRbzg2l4&usg=AOvVaw2e0ZK-SvzEGLbztUtaIcsw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

USN > Chair Force

Navy was stressful as fuck for me. Everyone you talk to will tell you Air Force is better. My best friends in life came from the Navy, but damn man, I was envious as fuck of them.

Also looking to join Air Force, any anons with advice on how to deal with recruiters?

OP here, just saying from experience, but block the Army and Marine recruiters numbers after you take the ASVAB. If you score higher than a 4, they'll be on you every day.

Thanks I'm more worried about accidentally signing up for the wrong job or getting tricked into a longer enlistment time. I used to work next to an army recruiter and on breaks they would come over and joke about how they fool kids into joining all the time by literally lying to them.

Yeah, the Army offers all this shit for kids because they don't know better. Best idea really is checking non-government influenced sources, which is why I went to Sup Forums.

I tried joining but my medical records fucked it for me.

Good luck, get out there and have the time of your life.

/k/ has a general for this. It is named /meg/. Godspeed OP

Coast Guard

Good bait, saving that

USN here. Cruiser, battleship and frigate sailor. Both will give you a good technical educational base for when you get out IF you pick the right rate. Just decided do you want to go somewhere and stay for a few years or do you want to go somewhere new every quarter, raise hell and fuck strange pussy?

I'd be pissed too if a sailor dry fucked my mom in the ass while i was in the living room watching Barney and eating Gogurt.

Currently active duty deployed Air Force, had lobster and steak last week. let that tell you how much we struggle feel free to ask questions

Well I hope it's not gay or anything.

Ever been in a sub? Had a little interest in that.

I've been in the Air Force for 5 years (S)sgt, got some tips for you.

Do not let the recruiter pressure you into a specific AFSC. Find something that falls in line with your interests and helps develop skills that will be useful in the civilian sector. If they tell you there is a wait list for the AFSC you want, WAIT FOR IT!

Basic is essentially a joke, especially now more than ever. They recently added a new complex that is commonly referred to as "Disneyland". Just keep your head low and don't ask too many questions and you will be fine, trust me its nothing to be afraid of.

Once you reach operational, be sure to put your best effort into everything you do. Learn your job and how to do it well; I would say that the first 3 years are the most crucial because you are essentially proving your worth to the AF.

Good luck user.

this is solid advice for starting most jobs military or otherwise. Best of luck to you sir. I appreciate your service

call and set an appointment, have your questions ready, don't ever feel like they're doing you a favor.

prior af recruiter

should also mention I hated every second of it so I'm not gonna blow smoke up your ass.

I can attest to this, most recruiters I've done RAP with seemed like they hated their lives.

Alright thanks. I'm expecting to deal with a pissed off car salesman in uniform that wants to see me made a fool of and sent to hell. I just don't want to have to get in there and start playing mind games or arguing while I'm trying to honestly go about the process.

Air force user. Looks super comfy. Dont fuck up like i did and become a Marine for 6 years.

Never on a cruise. My cousin was an Opticalman in pearl. So when one of my ships pulled into port I helped him work on a periscope for the day. It was pretty cramped onboard plus tiny amounts of hydraulic fluid (mist form) get in everything. Additionally subs don't get to go to as many foreign ports as surface combatants do. What kind of a job/rate do you want to get into? That will help
determine a path. I did Electronic Warfare/ Electronic Countermeasures.

all they're gonna do is basically keep asking why and trying to dig to find a "need" that you have that the air force can fill. Basically, you take the asvab, go to meps, get a list of jobs that you qualify for afterwards. From there you'll enter into delayed entry and wait for jobs to drop. They have no idea what jobs are going to open till like halfway through the month. Their bosses do a round robin draft trying to match up jobs to people they have in the delayed entry program. If it's one of the jobs you listed as hey, I'd totally do this, they're gonna grab it. If it's not your number one, the recruiter is pressured to pressure you into it, because you're not signing up for a job, you signed up for the air force. The easier going you make the process up to that point, the better chance the recruiter will try to fight to get you one of the jobs you actually want, but it's not like the army where they can look way into the future and reserve this one slot for you.

It's a pretty shit system, do as much research as you can beforehand and understand that not everyone is going to be a firefighter or aerial door gunner.

I'm looking for Air Traffic Control/Flight Control Systems as enlisted to go onto becoming a pilot later on.

>not joining the marines like a real man

Also, want to say I'm trying to finish up ground school at the moment.

also, if you're looking at doing 20+, air force promotion system is pretty shit. Now a days even hitting e-7 to retire is looking pretty sketch.

Never really had a taste for crayons tbh.

All honesty, massive respect for the marines, do all the shit jobs no one else wants to.

To add to this, at least in the navy, the rates that aren't 100% filled the recruiters push to get a body into the pipeline to fill it. In a majority of those cases it requires a pretty good ASVAB score to fill it. If you do they may give you something in return for choosing that rate. As an example you get bumped a paygrade after completing boot or A-School. Additionally those rates typically provide a re-enlistment bonus which could be thousands of dollars.

>actively wanting to be a welfare queen

>bait
I have some bad news for you user

>tfw missing kidney disqualified you from the one career you wanted to do since a little kid
All I wanted to do was shoot sand niggers, literally had drawings of it in kindergarten.

Get used to saying this (or some variation of this) phrase:

"Eagle one five turn left heading two four zero maintain three thousand until established on radar clear IFR runway two one right approach"

I want to work in cyberspace defense (Cyber Surety, Cyber Systems Operations) so I'm hoping the ASVAB will qualify me to go through the proper training and make me eligible as I only have a GED. I'll keep in mind not to be swayed by recruiters saying only certain jobs are available and I should take what I can get if I want to join.

samefag

TURBO CROW

only one of those you's is mine. don't be mad at me you need a drill sergeant to fuck your ass to feel validated

Then you will either be stationed on a Naval Air Station (boring IMHO) or on a bird farm (carrier or a helo carrier (grunt farm) which is better IMHO opinion as you get to go places and see some pretty cool shit. Afterward you get a cushy job in a tower. That being said ATC jobs are in big cities. So if you want to live in the suburbs or out in the country it may make things a bit more challenging.

asvab and security clearance depending on what squadron you get sent to. You don't need to score as high as you'd think. Even intel jobs are full of mouth breathers.

They do however get to play with some pretty cool weapons and blow shit up. I had many a jarhead buds on one of my ships. They can't drink worth a damn but chicks love their uniforms.

>tfw I work in an intel SQ

They are all weird, even some of the SNCO's. Kill me pls.

Heard staying on a carrier gets really repetitive and boring. Any thoughts?

Perpetually pissed because he can't get his transition surgery paid for the government while Trump is in office.

I have to agree with satan on this one

That's what I see as an upside to being a corpsman tbh. Get to wear the uniform but you don't have to do all the same shit.

As long as you have a GED and good ASVAB score you are good to go. I was in the same boat (no pun intended) and every job was open for me except the nuke program which a barely missed.

The military has a lot of benefits just make sure you have a job lined up after your contract is up or you will have to re-up or be homeless.

Not OP but thanks for the thread guys I got some good info to think about

Anywhere I can get a reprint of my ASVAB scores? Do I have to go to a MEPS or can I just go to a recruiters office?

OP here, wanna say the same for this shit, all some really helpful info, or more helpful than the recruiter at least.

Army 11b here

Join the army and join the infantry quit being a pussy . Be the 1% of the 1% , the blue chord gets you major pussy - plus you get to kill sand niggers

How do i get in on that shit?
I have 2 years towards a compsci degree with a 2.0 gpa and about 3 years in various jobs ranging from janitorial to tech support.

They are a high value target so they are somewhat shielded from the action. So yes it can get repetitive. Then again being an ATC is very repetitive. Every ship has it's pros & cons.

My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment.

Hoorah devil dogs.

Navy vets say they hated their life I've talked to. Everyone joins the air Force and wants to be a pilot. They do get sub standard housing pay when they go visit army bases and the such. Better quality and standard of living. I was in the army infantry. Honestly I miss it, but if you are going to do anything go in as an officer. Captain of 6 years makes what a 1sg does with 20 years .

Medical fields in service also nice way to get nurse practitioner or pa

Good point, didn't think of that. Career path afterwards is pretty open for you as well. How many floats did you do?

Not currently a Corpsman, but I considered it and researched it, sorry. Best of luck.

Just select it as one of your jobs with the recruiter.

Geospatial Analyst: Literally looks at pictures all day
Signals Intel Analyst: Intercepts signal traffic and determines its use / application

Don't though, its boring as fuck and you will most likely be working long hours without holidays.

also same army 11b here . don't forget every job in the fucking military is to support us , everything is revolved around the infantry .

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjJ5-rh263YAhWLDMAKHdYcAs0QtwIILDAB&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VADyRbzg2l4&usg=AOvVaw2e0ZK-SvzEGLbztUtaIcsw

Whenever anyone claims a military job "gets you pussy" I think how could you get pussy when you're in a foreign country participating in combat. I guess you could find a whore but you could work a safe/easy job and also get a whore. Wouldn't it be smarter to get a normal job and stay in civilian life if you want to get more pussy? It's like saying you should join the military because you get to smoke weed every once in awhile when you find it in the fields in Afghanistan.

Hmmm looking for something more like reverse engineering a program to crack it's user's proprietary os and download all their files.

That is FBI/CIA work.

Thats more in the cyber realm, which is good because the AF has been desperate for cyber bodies for years now.

Look into Cyber Security (NOT surety). There are a number of jobs that fall in line with that, but are none are specifically that as far as I know.

USAF for you

this

Well i live in colorado so i might look into it...
Do we have to get up earlier than 8?

I'm dumb, you probably mean once you are in the military.

Yes you will have to wake up early in BMT, around 6 if I remember correctly. In tech school you may have to wake up as early as 4am for PT, but thats just my experience

In the Navy, you can sail the Seven Seas.

Im going to be real honest with you. Cyber Surety is boring as hell and cso is trash. Your basically signing up for a 9-5 office job. You won't even really be doing anything cyber security related

In the Navy, you can put your mind at ease.

>Navy, 4 years
Don't do it. Seriously.
Reasons:
>the pay and hours are some of the worst in the world. All jobs' pay are literally fractions of the equivalent entry-level civilian sector job. Anyone who was/is in and tells you different is a dumbass who has never had a big-boy job. The hours are whatever the fuck some shitstain with job security and no formal management training tells you they are.
>damn near no freedom. You go where they want you to go, do what they want you to do, and dress how they say while doing it, 24/7. You will be treated like a child while given the responsibilities of an adult. It drives a lot of people crazy. Alcohol abuse in the military is WAY higher than any official report will ever state.
>almost all of your hard skills will be non-transferrable to a civilian job. The military uses different equipment, processes, technical manuals, terminology, standards, certification, and settings for almost every job. If by chance you do chose one fo the few military jobs which has a civilian equivalent you will have to re-train on everything.
>the majority of your coworkers will be dumb as rocks, not give a shit, willing to frequently stab you in the back to get ahead, or people will you see for a short time then never again. I know this can often be very true in civilian working environments but I have never seen it at the level I did in the military. Networking, especially at the enlisted level, is often nonexistent or detrimental.
>the military is a caste system. Enlisted members are disposable pieces of shit compared to officers, and the military won't ever let you forget it. Ranking orders (enlisted-enlisted, officer-enlisted, officer-officer) almost always have to be followed, regardless of how stupid the person giving the orders has routinely proved themselves to be. The advancement system is only loosely based on merit.
>benefits are shit, just shit
cont.

Go Navy. Don't go nuke. Don't go security. Do cool shit and have fun.

Nope. It's called being a man and getting pussy from non-paid regular whores you sped.

So why do you have to join the military to get that? You can't dress decently or have good behavior without the U.S Government telling you how to do it? I understand joining the military for several reasons but getting more pussy isn't one of them. The whole idea of the job is separating you from the rest of society, I knew army guys that would join dating sites and smash whatever they could get between deployments/on holidays because they knew that's their chance to do it.

if i can't convince you not to enlist, be aware:
>your recruiter and MEPS are not looking out for YOUR best interest. They will, without a doubt, lie to you if it is in their best interest. Sometimes the basis of the lie can be as simple as someone not wanting to do 2 extra pages of paperwork, or they need 1 more person in job X to make their numbers look better. Most recruiters are worse than the shadiest of used car salesmen. If at any point it seems like theyre trying to get what they want and not what you want, just give them firm "No"s or walk away. You don't owe them a damn thing until you first set foot in boot camp and dont let them tell you otherwise.
>get everything in writing. EVERYTHING. Make sure the person that's promising the thing in writing has the power to make the promise. Otherwise you could end up with a shit job in a shit base in a shit command for four fucking years of the best years of your life.