alexa.com/siteinfo/pitchfork.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitchfork_(website)#Publicity_and_artist_popularity
blogs.brown.edu/econ-1400-s01/files/2015/01/ECON1400_MichaelBriskin.pdf
youtu.be/vo1i-SAg09k
youtube.com/watch?v=Rp721ibSHqA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Why Kamasi MATTERS

were they ever a serious publication?

In terms of mainstream they're right since he worked on Kendrick's best album.

If you're expecting the opinion of people who are hxc into jazz and not those who are slightly in the know about music then you're reading the wrong site, baka.

But you knew this, you just can't stop hating on and posting about pitchfork because you're mentally deficient.

no

>In terms of mainstream they're right since he worked on Kendrick's best album.
but he didn't work on S80 or GKMC

That actually made me laugh out loud. Good find OP. Then again, is it any surprise that Pitchfork should way overhype him considering they discuss and care almost exclusively about image and culture surrounding music and not about the music at all, and Kamasi Washington is the literal embodiment of that in the jazz world?

>say something silly and "controversial"
>forums discuss you, giving free exposure

w o w

The average Sup Forums poster doesn't get it and will happily continue to fall for it.

This

Fuck you Weiss

>If you're expecting the opinion of people who are hxc into jazz and not those who are slightly in the know about music then you're reading the wrong site, baka.
What's the right site to read if I want that?

>in a one in a trillion chance, a jazz guy makes it big
>HeY!! Let's tear him down for fun!!!

No wonder jazz is dead lol

I mean hes the most normie name in jazz rn. Doesnt make him good

cunt

Yeah that's exactly what the people in this thread are being.

double cunt

I don't think many guys would play solos that are about 99% based on the D# blues scale. Even at its earliest jazz musicians were already more experimental than Kamasi Washington.

Lets be accurate here

>"jazz" guy's dad has connection to rappers so he becomes "that saxophonist who plays on hip hop albums"
>has the good fortune to play on a couple of hip hop albums that become very popular
>decide to make jazz album specifically marketed toward hip hop and indie rock fans
>album sucks but the branding and image are perfect so all the indie and hip hop critics and publications jump on board
>jazz fans get vilainized just for pointing out that the album kinda sucks

>>decide to make jazz album specifically marketed toward hip hop and indie rock fans
>>album sucks but the branding and image are perfect so all the indie and hip hop critics and publications jump on board
don't forget it was a triple album for no reason, entire album was filler

>. He looks like Sun Ra reborn as a lineman: hulking but gentle, capable of thunderous cosmic wrath and meditative calm. His massive frame is swaddled in a long black tunic, medallions dangle from his neck, and a kaleidoscopic wooden skullcap protects a thick shrub of hair.

lol who writes this?

That last EP is embarrassing. Fucking tropico-spiritual bullshit.

Jeff Weiss has written for Pitchfork since 2011 and is the co-author of Biggie & 2Pac: Rap's Greatest Battle. He is the editor of Passion of the Weiss, a columnist at LA Weekly, and the co-host of the Earwolf hip-hop podcast, Shots Fired.

yeah youre right no one here knows what pitchfork is and everyone is gonna go visit their site now

Actually I forgot the most important part

>marketing and branding and media hype works perfectly and the album becomes a huge success
>people who've heard less than 10 jazz albums in their life constantly talk about how great Kamasi is and how he's saving jazz
>these people get ENORMOUSLY butthurt when people point out objective facts about how limited and basic Kamasi's playing is

literal retard
this type of marketing is 100% free, therefore if they get even 1 additional click from it then it was worth the investment
their image has nothing to do with being reliable jazzheads so their reputation isn't affected either

why do brainlets have such a hard time understanding these things it boggles the mind

Somebody post the sheet musics

Someone who knows that his targeted demographic cares only about image

youre too obsessed with everything being about marketing retard, theres little doubt this writer (see ) believes washington is a Jazz Colossus
this is fueled by the usuall p4k "tastemaker" delusion, not desire to clickbait

Even the fucking musically illiterate dumb dumbs here on Sup Forums are now starting to wake up and realize how bad Kamasi is.

Anybody else betting that even the Melon has woken up and will give Kamasi's latest album a low score?

nah you're a fucking idiot lmao
everything pitchfork does is centered about making a financially viable company

you guys want sooooo badly for pitchfork to be inauthentic or plebs or some shit so you desperate scramble at any hint of weakness

>delusion
prime example, they have a stranglehold on alt-music culture and you fucking know it.

it's a money machine and as soon as you losers accept that you stop flipping out over every inane stunt they pull the sooner you'll spend your time doing something better than whining about how inauthentic and pleb pitchfork is (because surely nobody knows this so you as a champion of the people must inform them)

>prime example, they have a stranglehold on alt-music culture and you fucking know it.
lol maybe 10 years ago

yeah faggot ? you really want to argue this ?

It's time for y'all mothafuckers people to take the /criss cross/ pill

>yeah faggot ?
Why the homophobia?

>you really want to argue this ?
There's no need to argue it, it's obviously true. They used to literally make or break a band's career but now they're irrelevant

inb4 "he's bad because he's not complex"

What makes music good or bad then?

I need to go to class, if you're still here in two hours call me a retard again so we can continue shit-flinging.
similarweb.com/website/pitchfork.com
alexa.com/siteinfo/pitchfork.com

inb4 "it's good because I like it"

Genuinely though I don't see what particularly he's doing that makes him particularly innovative or unique or interesting. Even if you're more a fan of the less straight ahead jazz stuff there's plenty of artists out there who are far less conservative and actually making their own way in the jazz world rather than just stealing their whole shtick from Coltrane and Sanders.

Nobody knows, there has never been any objective proof of any specific thing making music good.

But it sure as hell isn't complexity, because if complexity was what made music good, jazz as a whole would be a waste of time.

it's got nothing to do with that, he's just not particularly interesting as a player, composer or bandleader

You're an idiot

Complexity doesn't make music good. Complexity allows for the possibility of good music.

>I need to go to class, if you're still here in two hours call me a retard again so we can continue shit-flinging.
I can't call you a retard 'again' because I haven't in the past. And you're the only one 'shit-flinging' by posting two URLs that don't back up your point at all.

for sure this guy writes "cuckold" themed erotica under pseudonym, there is no doubt in my mind when you study his physiognomy and read that paragraph

So is Kamasi good? All I know after reading that intro is he wears crazy clothes and he's popular.

How skilled of a player is he? W Hat does he bring to jazz?

Yea I bet, user. Ever wonder why you spend all day thinking about cuckolds and black dicks and feel the compulsion to bring it up in every conversation you enter?

I'm so glad Pitchfork threads are dead now.

why does he look like a bird

He makes jazz accessible for people who don't listen to much jazz by warring it down and playing simple melodies and chord progressions and soloing like a rock guitarist.

lmao you are so salty it is absurd
you want sooo badly for p4k not to be big man on campus that you consider them being one of the most visited websites in the world to be irrelevant
what form of evidence do you accept ? cross referencing of album sales and artist recognition pre and post p4k reviews / articles ? get real

>what form of evidence do you accept ? cross referencing of album sales and artist recognition pre and post p4k reviews / articles ?
That'd be great actually

In this context it is entirely justified, if you don't notice the overt fetishization in that paragraph you are willfully ignorant.
He is a mouthbreather as you can see from his maxillary recession. This is likely caused by immune deficiency and tendency towards allergies which probably also leads to the underdeveloped bodily frame and diminished posture.

Fresh in from Le_Donald?

It is a sad day when one can no longer make fun of effeminate, ugly men with clear masochistic traits without some fag (falsely) inferring ones politics from a few trigger phrases, I'll have you know that I am not even american.

Kill yourself, faggot. You're a shitposter with nothing to say and you're getting treated like one.

There is a reason that no recordings exist of this guy playing standards or at a jam session with real jazz musicians.

Are you a friend of Jeff Weiss' or an employee of Pitchfork media?

In his defense, has he ever claimed to be a part of any jazz scene? He released his album on Brain Feeder and all of the other musician are his buddies he's played with since childhood.

>faggot
Why the homophobia?

Not a conspiracy m8, I'm just a normal user who thinks retards who contribute nothing but shitposts should go home to the_Donald

Nice falseflag too btw

>Nice falseflag too btw
You're using that word but I don't think you know what it means

That's not how you become a jazz great though or a colossus or whatever (he's not stopping anyone from calling him these things)

Can you think of any other widely accepted jazz "great" who didn't play with at least one or two other "jazz greats" and only ever played with a few other players? I can't.

I am contributing, I correctly analyze that these pitchfork writers (many have similar physiognomy and thus we can assume psychology) inflate this man (who is not a good jazz musician) on the basis of their own homosexual-masochistic attraction. One does not write paragraphs gushing about another mans powerful physicality if one is not a psychosexually disturbed individual

youre a bigger retard than i imagined if choosing a somewhat controversial headline is online marketing to you, headlines are supposed to be enticing, thats the entire point of headlines
>prime example, they have a stranglehold on alt-music culture and you fucking know it.
they really dont anymore, if you havent noticed that youre seriously out of the loop
every business is a money machine, youre not arguing about anything here, just autistically missing the point over and over

oh you think youre some kind of redpilled entity that will Destroy These Hipsters Opinion On Pitchfork By Reminding Them They Still Get Page Visits
lmaoing at your life sweaty

>getting people to come to your website for increased ad revenue is not a form of marketing
based retard

Dave Brubeck. Although, like Washington, only non-jazz listeners consider him a great.

see

lol what the fuck are you babbling about dude
getting upset about p4k is entirely futile and you're not going to destroy some imaginary credibility that nobody seriously think exists
swear to god Sup Forums basic bitch cynicism is the most eyeroll worthy phenomenom I can think of

didn't think that warranted a serious reply desu
not an impossible task but I don't have the resources to do that at the moment

Brubeck was also the closest I could think of but he at least played with Cal Tjader and there are plenty of recordings of him playing on standards.

>swear to god Sup Forums basic bitch cynicism is the most eyeroll worthy phenomenom I can think of

you say that while tripfagging wow dude what a star

>not an impossible task but I don't have the resources to do that at the moment
Predictable cop out

I actualy really like Kamasi Washington's music but the press around him is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

wow you sure told me anonymous underground hero man

>I'm going to class
>WOW CANT WHIP ME UP SOME SPREADSHEETS HUH WHAT A COP OUT
poor form desu

thanks dude seeking credentials from anonymous weebs

Oh Brubeck also recorded with Gerry Mulligan

What do you need spreadsheets for? And you've been posting for 2 hours, still not an argument.

What's wrong with this?

non sequitur

cant even imagine how childish someone would need to be to seriously demand a formal analysis of market trends when discussing the relevancy of one of the most popular websites on the internet

>not an argument
lmao nobody is making an argument with that statement dumbass, I'm telling you that your request is unreasonable at the current time
being this salty because you know deep down you don't have a leg to stand on

Now he attacks mostly the harmonic content, but what I find really worrying is his terrible phrasing and the fact that it seems he knows only compund-duple rhythms

It's incredibly limiting and uncreative to only stick to one scale in a solo. Don't normies always complain about how jazz is "just a bunch of scales"? Here's a guy who can't even be bothered to use multiple scales! He's literally just running up and down ONE scale.

It's like a rock guitarists solo.

>cant even imagine how childish someone would need to be to seriously demand a formal analysis of market trends when discussing the relevancy of one of the most popular websites on the internet
No need for a 'formal analysis', even the most basic of an example would do the trick, but you keep sidestepping

>lmao nobody is making an argument with that statement dumbass, I'm telling you that your request is unreasonable at the current time
You shouldn't need anything more than google, if you have access to Sup Forums you should be perfectly capable of making an argument. It's extremely easy to find examples of cases of Pitchfork's influence from ~10 years ago, see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitchfork_(website)#Publicity_and_artist_popularity which as expected gives no examples from recent years.

>being this salty because you know deep down you don't have a leg to stand on
Saying something over and over doesn't make it true.

I mean does that make a difference, like whos to say the knew each other at that point. He didn't work with Thundercat prior to TPAB if I"m correct. That's like saying fuck Carlos Alomar because he didn't play on Aladdin Sane

I'm not defending him, I'm just saying that point is kinda stupid.

>non sequitur
Sure, if you cant read then maybe.
Dude lmao this is literally my point
you're criticising someone for a reaction based off imaginary credibility when you're literally on an anonymous imageboard as a trip seeking imaginary credibility

Hey, Friendo, off-topic but could you rec first-rate pop melodists who don't use electronic instruments? Current, preferably.

y are u so mad

blogs.brown.edu/econ-1400-s01/files/2015/01/ECON1400_MichaelBriskin.pdf
You can stop posting, now.

>seeking [x]
why do anonymous shitposters pretend to be able to read my mind ?

>blogs.brown.edu/econ-1400-s01/files/2015/01/ECON1400_MichaelBriskin.pdf
>link to 34 page pdf with no explanation given as to how this is relevant
Still not an argument.

if you can be lenient with "no electronics" a bit I might be able to whip up a list

based JTG

top kek

Yeah. Without a prominent role, I mean.

>why do anonymous shitposters pretend to be able to read my mind ?

YO HE'S STILL RESPONDING
also
>implying i'm wrong

formal analysis of the impact pitchfork has on album / artist exposure, particularly what happens when they give "BNM" to an album thru cross referencing p4k scores and accolades with google trends and spotify data
you can read the conclusion section if you are still confused and the methodology section if you are interested in how he came up with that information / conclusion
please stop responding to me now

Can someone recc me some jazz that has that sort of late night, smoke filled lounge feeling?

sort of like the first two minutes of this song

youtu.be/vo1i-SAg09k

youtube.com/watch?v=Rp721ibSHqA