What does Sup Forums think of Mars Volta, and other projects by Cedric Bixler-Zavala and Omar Rodriguez?

What does Sup Forums think of Mars Volta, and other projects by Cedric Bixler-Zavala and Omar Rodriguez?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/cedricbixler_/status/889191774366969859
twitter.com/AnonBabble

TMV steadily got worse over time, sad thing really.

>craft a verse
>go in a thesaurus
>change words around that didn't need to be changed
>add in weird shit like birds chirping or improv organ solos for hipster cred
Overrated.

their first two albums are untouchable, though

Stop projecting your poor vocabulary.

one of my favourite bands

I do not enjoy them

Bedlam is godtier as well

yep

I feel like people either love them or hate them, I've barely met anyone who feels indifferently about TMV but it seems people generally like ATDI. I agree with I feel the lyrics leave a lot to be desired, but Cedric's sexy voice sort of creates a mood where you don't really give a shit what he's screaming about, almost in a controlled hysteria kind of way

tl;dr awesome on coke

I love atdi, mars volta, bosnian rainbows are good too. A lot of Omar's solo work is pretty great to listen to as well.

Unpopular opinions:
1. Noctourniquet (TMV last album) is VERY cool and kind of challenging, which i like in an album.
2. Cedric's gibberblabble lyrics are insanely creative and interesting.
3. Passages in their songs that consist of odd samples and stretched out ambient-ness is relaxing and interesting.
4. Thomas Pridgen's "overkill drumming" is FUCKING RAD AND UNSTOPPABLE.

HEY LOOK!

IT'S MARIACHI SLIPKNOT!!!

God Tier:
>Deloused in the Comatorium
>Frances the Mute

Excellent Tier:
>The Bedlam in Goliath
>Amputechture
>Birth of a Ghost (ORL)
>Solar Gambling (ORL)

Great Tier:
>Noctourniquet
>Sepulcros de Miel (ORL + John Fruscante)
>Bosnian Rainbows (Bosnian Rainbows)

Good Tier:
>Octahedron
>Sworn Virgins (ORL)

Ok Tier:
>Antemasque

Are there any other ORL albums worth checking out? He has about 500

honestly don't get why people shit on noctour so much, In Absentia is absolutely god-tier. in the top 10 TMV songs fo sho

TMV was super super good until 2008 at which point there was a noticeable dip in quality that persisted until they ended the band.

De-Loused and Frances are fantastic records that were seriously underrated for like...nearly a decade after their release. I'll never forget laying in bed with my iPod circa 2006 and having my mind blown by those two albums.

I love them and wish they'd figure out how to make great music again. TMV is easily my favorite band of all time and is ridiculously underrated, it's insane how high their quality of output was. Unfortunate that they were too adventurous for even their own fans, you constantly hear people say things like "they steadily got worse over time" mostly because every album wasn't De-loused Again.

Omar's solo work is very iffy for me, there are some gems in there but a lot of it just seems really lazy and underdeveloped without even having an interesting concept to support it. Anywhere was pretty sweet but their one album is way too short. Antemasque is... not really a thing I want to acknowledge too much.

That's not even accurate, much of the time he'd go in and sing literal gibberish. Then he would go back through to replace the syllables with actual words. You're going to say that's dumb too but it's actually brilliant, because it allows him to focus on the sound of the vocals before worrying about the lyrics. Since, y'know, they're making music and not writing a novel. It makes sense to prioritize the part that is actually heard.

>birds chirping
Those were frogs, so I guess even more cred?

who the hell is that

My favorite band in high school/first year of college. They managed to get back to the top of the world again then lost the plot after Bedlam.

isn't the dude fat now

most polarizing band in recent history

Grimes?

>Blind Worms, Pious Swine
>Zen Thrills
>Zapopan
>A Lovejoy
>Roman Lips
>Se Dice Bisonte, No Bùfalo

Omar is a beast

I never listened to Mars Volta, but I listed to At the Drive In a tonne (and enjoyed it). Where do you guys suggest I start?

Deloused, fag

Chronologically, De-Loused is a really good star

TMV is very underrated imo and sure they did drop in quality a bit but they were still good throughout.
AtDI was a slightly edgier, noisier version of TMV, but they were great as well.
Omar's solo stuff is hit or miss. He has some great stuff though.

They were the most acclaimed modern prog band with Porcupine Tree and Tool
Hardly underrated

Only because Pitchfork and a few other publications like to shit on them. Most people familar with their music seem to dig them.

>>Sepulcros de Miel (ORL + John Fruscante)
this should be god tier

Deloused is the most overrated.

At the drive in > mars volta

Redditcore. I discovered it through r/music in my redditphase. Deloused is usually described there as "the DSoTM of the 21st century."

Every album wasn't De-loused because of Rick Rubin. He didn't allow them to "experiment" enough to make long filler songs.
I love TMV but I gotta accept that some songs in their later albums are just filler, or long songs with incredible short parts but the rest being filler.

Cedric

the other guy

John Coltrane

Deloused & Noctourniquet are GOAT

twitter.com/cedricbixler_/status/889191774366969859

looks white and twinky to me

>ever having a reddit phase
there is no such thing, back to r e d d i t

DSOTM is good and you're a pathetic loser who cares more about image than the actual music.

IF YOU ONLY KNEW THE PLANS THEY HAD FOR US

I actually like it, one of my favs and the album that really got me into music, so many goosebumps inducing moments

Just wanted to post bait, for once

EXOSKELETAL JUNCTION AT THE RAILROAD DELAAAAAAAYED

Dark Side of the Moon has a lot of nifty stuff that evade a first listen, it's fantastic. Also Jesus Christ the quality of the recording is fantastic.

Isn't Zavala like running for senate or something

>lyrics need to make "sense"
why is this board so goddamn awful

uninteresting

check out T.R.A.M.

They suck musically, however it does fit the criteria of your post.

TRAM are great, really want more.

He ought to.

I love them but I totally get why people can hate them.
I rank their albums: Frances>Amputechture>Bedlam as one long song>Comatorium=Octahedron>Bedlam if listening to individual tracks>Noctourniquet

Frances the Mute is still probably in my top 4 favorite albums of all time. Omar is kind of a personal hero and I like a lot of his solo career but there's also a lot of shit but that's sort of a natural byproduct of doing literally nothing but make music. I saw in some interviews that he claimed to had made like 10 records before he even released one to the public and when he makes a TMV album he makes something like 300 songs beforehand as "homework" in demo and unfinished forms and then picks the few he will elaborate on and flesh out further, the dude is a fucking machine when it comes to making music.

I think Cedric is really talented in the studio but he can't sing for shit in a live setting and seems like he can either be really chill or a massive cunt depending on the mood he's in. I saw a lot of funky shit on twitter recently about scientology. From what I understand he became a scientologist because his wife was, but being a pretty anti-theistic guy in the past he followed more of the self improvement aspects of it, and cites it as what got him off of drugs etc, but from what I understand by his wife's twitter they left the church because it's batshit (no surprise) and they were finding people looking in their windows and found trash bags cut open and cars parked outside their house and shit. Spooky stuff man.

My unpopular opinion is that I actually really like Octahedron

I didn't think deloused was that adventurous for prog rock, it was highly reminiscent of a lot of older acts. I love that album to bits but I don't understand when people circle jerk it as the best because their next 2 albums went way further in scope and vision and they created a wholly unique sound

it is renowned actor thom hank